Start by marking “Strangers” as Want to Read:
Strangers

Strangers

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  377 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
You wake up in the morning to discover that you have been sealed into your home. The doors are locked, the windows are barred. THERE'S NO WAY OUT.

A madman is playing a deadly game with you and your family. A game with no rules, only consequences. So what do you do? Do you run? Do you hide?

OR DO YOU DIE?
Published January 16th 2014 (first published June 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Strangers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strangers

Paul Nelson
To unwittingly become a part of this deadly game, you must have secrets, things that can never be known, something that can destroy your life and there's only one chance for redemption, you must confess.

A family suffering the loss of a son, drift through life growing further apart by the day, come the anniversary they attempt some semblance of normality, a stab at family interaction, with a simple meal and some TV. It can't repair that which has crumbled over time but their tainted lives are ab
Bark
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 1/2 Stars

Things aren’t always what they seem.

A man returns home after a long day of work, hoping only to get through a painful anniversary by having a quiet dinner and watching a movie with his family.

But that doesn’t happen because a madman has other ideas . . .

After eating a surprisingly terrible meal from their usual take out place, dad, mom and their two teens all begin to feel sick and sleepy and head off to bed. When they awaken, a nightmare begins. And let me tell you, it does not let
Char
Aug 16, 2013 rated it really liked it

Thanks to my friend and fellow Kindler, Bill, for the loan!

I read this book with my Shelfari group. We have read a few books by this author in the past and liked them. This one was no exception.

This was a brutal tale of the isolation of one family; a family that had many secrets to hide. It was a bit too far out to be completely believable, but that didn't bother me. It was extremely fast paced-so much so that I read the entire book in two days.

When I was done, I checked out some other reviews,
Kimberly
Jul 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has everything a horror/dark fiction fan could want in a novel! The intense, gut-renching suspense takes off right from the beginning. You might think that at some point it would let up while the author focuses his energies in different directions, but not so! Even while the plot progresses and some things begin to come to light, the mystery and tension continue to build.

How well do we really know anyone? What about those in our own family? How many "strangers" do we willingly let into
The Behrg
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star-reads
One of the most difficult things about writing in the horror genre is to simultaneously honor the books and stories and ideas that have come before, without ever retreading the same worn path. To at once utilize the tropes of the genre, without falling victim to them.

"Strangers," a nightmarish home-invasion novel, does just that.

Collings knows what you're expecting to happen, and plays against that expectation time and again. With an extremely inventive set-up -- an almost reversal of your "trad
Pamellia
May 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Strangers by Michaelbrent Collings Shelfari Horror Group
Began, unknown Completed, May 4, 2014

This book was a weekly read for a book club I read with. Almost did not read this one, but glad I did. Thanks to Matthew for lending me the kindle version of this book.

The book begin with a homicide group processing a terrible scene. There are many odd things about this scene, that we do not understand until the end of the book.

Apparently the bad guy in this book is looking for the perfect family. When
AudioBookReviewer
ABR's full Strangers audiobook review can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

I knew when Michaelbrent Collings started the book with veteran police officers vomiting everywhere the book was going to be an experience. Michaelbrent has done what few authors have been able to do ---- he scared me half to death and kept me up most of the night thinking about my secrets and who I trust without a second thought.

This is about a family who has suffered a devastating loss of an older son and their mechanisms
Brad
Mar 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Scott William Taylor

I'm convinced that most people watch shows like The Jerry Springer Show and Hoarders so they can feel better about them selves. "Sometimes my house is a mess, but it's nothing like that one on Hoarders," we say. So the last thing I thought I'd question after reading Michaelbrent Collings's Strangers, is my skills as a father.

Seriously, that's what went through my mind. Collings is in the process of converting his large library of published works into an audiobook format. This is the second I've
M.L. Roos
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For those of you with a fear of heights, have you ever stepped into an elevator only to realize it was completely glass on the inside and you could see all the way up to the top as you were traveling? The saliva evaporates and your breath gets caught in your throat, your stomach drops, your insides turn to liquid and your heart hammers inside your chest hard enough to break a rib. The intense fear of being inside that elevator, that slow moving elevator that is crawling to your destination as yo ...more
Kelly
Jul 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm still trying to work my head around the twists and turns of this book and it's been nearly 24 hours since I finished it. I almost don't even know where to begin with my dissection of the plot. Because -- holy smokes -- there's a WHOLE LOT that happens.

How about this -- It's incredibly, wonderfully creepy. We get blood and death and SECRETS that spill across the pages. We get a shadowy individual who is so tangled up in the Hughes' lives that they can't make a move without him knowing about i
Erin
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Jerry and Ann are an unhappy, wealthy couple - they've lost one of their three children, but have two others, Sheri and Drew.....and they are about to be tested (for their sins) beyond belief. A killer has, rather ingeniously trapped them in their own home and is ready to kill each of them. Can Jerry save his family? Do they deserve to be saved?

Well, that seems to be question the book is asking and I would answer with a resounding, "um, yeah," in that none of them have done anything for which th
Melissa
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Bill
Jul 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Review for Audible edition

Strangers by Michaelbrent Collings is a very good thriller involving deep family secrets, a crazed killer with too much time on his hands and a termite tent. There are a lot of skeletons in this family’s closet and someone has found out about them. Now, they are trapped in a killer’s game and there is no escape and no hope. The only thing left is betrayal and lies. The game has started and it’s time to pay the piper.

The characters were well thought out and translated we
John
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall - 4.5 stars
Story - 4.5 stars
Narration - 4 stars
Creep Factor - 4 stars

This story is relentless! It carries you to a plateau of suspense and doesn't let you relax until the end!
Emily E.
I have read multiple books by this author now. My first was Apparition and I absolutely loved it. So it made me want to read more from him. This was the 3rd book I read by Mr. Collings, and I'm glad it wasn't my first because I wasn't impressed with this one.
Firstly, no one in this family did anything (especially the kids) that merits what the crazy antagonist does to them. I mean, come on, a girl does naked shows on the internet for money and she deserves to die!?! Wow...especially in the curr
morgen
Sep 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Secrets...tssk tssk

At first I feared I wasn't going to like the book at all. Even under the circumstances, the main character,a surgeon, Californians metaphysical or supernatural thing had occurred honesty But once the family's secrets come into play I found the narrative engaging. Until commonsense just had me annoyed again with the end. How could they not already have searched the attic!!!
Suzanne Foster
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best!

I simply could not put this down, and when I really had to I couldn't wait to get back to it!
What a story! So glad the author returned to this story to make it bigger because it's one hell of a read! Very gripping, very intense and very dark. I loved every minute of it!!
Robert Ullrich
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent psychological thriller

I , for one, am glad Mr. Collings decided to revisit Strangers. What makes it so very good is the lack of the supernatural. Man, at his worst, is far more capable of horrific acts than any imaginary creature.
Jane Wynne
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A family are trapped inside their own home, victims of a cruel killer's idea of a cat and mouse game. Interesting idea about the secrets people hide from their nearest and dearest.
Cherie'
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Stranger by Michaelbrent Collings

I love the premise of this book, the killer thought of everything. Be careful who you let in your house.
An edge of your seat thriller.

Cherie'
Joe Hempel
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a review on my site written by a contributor for one of Michaelbrent Collings books, called Crime Seen. The book seemed kind of interesting, but I never really gave it another thought. After listening to, and sometimes reading along with Strangers, I’m now questioning why I didn’t.

Strangers is visceral, there are no punches pulled, and it is most definitely NOT for the faint of heart. There are some tough subject matters to attend to and there are many things that might make one put thi
Jami
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
A very intense thriller

If I wasn't already paranoid about who came into my house, I definitely would be after listening to this book.

Michaelbrent Collings writes a very believable family, one who suffered a terrible loss the year before. Jerry, the father, wants them to be together on the anniversary of his son's death for a dinner and movie night. But they don't make it past dinner before things go downhill. The family wakes up to find they are trapped in their home by a killer who seems to ha
Maryann Breedlove
Another knock out of the ball park for Michaelbrent Collings; master story teller.
This story will scare you sh--less. Wrap yourself in the blanket of images this authors words create.
Your in your own house with your own family but trapped.. what the h-ll is going on? You will feel yourself walk in the loafers of the father.. you will feel the terror of containment.. you will feel the hope of denial, the incredulity of betrayal and the gut wrenching dread of failure.
Spine Chilling Page Turning MU
Nicole Wright
Apr 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sure, everyone has a secret or two, but, what if your entire family wakes up trapped inside your home with a mad man in control? The windows are covered, the doors are boarded up and there is no way out. This mad man knows everything about every one of you and is willing to kill you if you do not share your secret with the rest of the family. You are given one chance to share your secret and if you don't, you're dead.

In a story that was originally written as a short story and then re-written in
Jason Thomas
3.5 Stars

Happily, this book doesn't suffer from a lot of the pacing problems that I've found in other works by this author. The story keeps you on the edge of your seat, but it also allows those crucial moments where nothing is happening so there's some variety.

Still some problems with emotional continuity and people scream way too often, especially as a group. The prologue was misleading, I thought it was the end of this story not another case entirely. Some issues with time - a person cannot b
Richard Howard
The second star is because the author can actually write but this tale is just an exercise in far-fetched sadism. The 'gasp' twist at the end is boringly predictable. None of the characters have personalities that make you empathise with them: they are just there to die gruesomely. I am tired of thrillers in which serial killer types are masterminds with a philosophy. They are generally frighteningly normal and mundane.
Deedra
Jun 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
wasn't sure what I was in for with this book.I thought it would be mostly psychological terror.It's not.It is gruesome,bloody horror...BUT a good read if you can get past that.A madman seals a family inside their house and asks them all to repent of their sin.His punishments are cruel.The suspense is palpable.Jeffery Kafer does a wonderful job with narration."I was provided this audiobook at no charge by the author in exchange for an unbiased review via AudiobookBlast dot com."
Morandia
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, horror, audiobook
Listened to the audio version of this book. First -the reader was great. Second-finally a recent horror story with NO zombies! What an emotional roller coaster! It was full of twists and turns and kept me on the edge of my seat throughout! It really begs the question - how well do you really know people? Even those in your own house. I did not see the twists at the end coming. It was a refreshing yet horrifying experience. Well done!
Laura Neu
May 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book earns five stars for a very specific reason, but I cannot divulge that without spoilers. I can, however, tell you what of it earns a 4-star rating.
For one, the book is incredibly vivid. There are several near cinematic moments. The plot and scenes are messy in just the right ways, simple and complex in just the right ways. Read it, as then I'll tell you where the fifth star comes from.
  • Adrift (Adrift, #1)
  • The Memory Tree
  • Cargo (Leine Basso Thrillers, #4)
  • Outage (Outage #1)
  • December Park
  • Charnel House
  • The Scarecrow (Solom #1)
  • Midnight Rain
  • Violet Eyes
  • Exorcist Road
  • Colony of the Lost
  • Diablero
  • Gehenna (West of Hell #1)
  • The Housemates (Damienverse, #4)
  • House of Shadows (The Breed Wars, #1)
  • Black Water Creek
  • The Vanishing (Return of the Aliens #1)
  • Blackout
Michaelbrent Collings is an internationally-bestselling novelist, multiple Bram Stoker Award nominee, produced screenwriter, and one of the top indie horror writers in the United States.

He hopes someday to develop superpowers, or, if that is out of the question, then at least to get a cool robot arm.

Michaelbrent has a wife and several kids, all of whom are much better looking than he is (though he
“Part of the American Dream, Jerry mused, is complete separation from one’s neighbors. ” 1 likes
“Yes, there is an Easter Bunny.  Yes, Santa exists.  Yes, I’m sure everyone will treat you wonderfully at the new school.  Yes, the other kids will all like you. Yes, we’ll get out of this alive.  We’ll be okay.” 1 likes