Start by marking “Final Judgment (Lou Mason Thrillers Book 5)” as Want to Read:
Final Judgment (Lou Mason Thrillers Book 5)

Final Judgment

(Lou Mason Mystery #5)

A shtikel mazel iz vert merer vi a ton gold – a Yiddish proverb that means “a little bit of luck is better than a ton of gold”. But when you find a dead man wrapped in plastic in the trunk of you Cadillac, you need more than a little luck. Much more.

Avery Fish is on trial for mail fraud, but he didn’t commit murder. In fact, he has absolutely no clue how a decapitated,
Published August 12th 2013 by Character Flaw Press (first published March 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Final Judgment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Final Judgment

Start your review of Final Judgment (Lou Mason Thrillers Book 5)
Michael Wood
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lou Mason Fearlessly Faces Down Terrible Odds

This is the fifth "Lou Mason" book, and it sets a new, high standard for legal thrillers. Joel Goldman has really taken this genre to another level. His understanding of the moral hazards facing a criminal attorney has allowed him to succinctly and accurately include the ethical standards that are--sometimes-- applied to lawyers and judges in the plots of the entire series. Goldman also includes a very understanding, but totally frank, view of both
Cassie
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have absolutely enjoyed this series and am so sad to see it end.
Say it ain't so Joel.
Joeydag
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found this murder mystery left me cold. The protagonist, Lou Mason, is a lawyer who gets too involved in his clients troubles. The plotting was quite torturous but in the end I just ground it out to see how the author resolved the cases. I don't think I will try another by Goldman.
Judy Churchill
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an ambitious novel with so many characters you almost needed a diagram. Poor Lou Mason who ended up an honest man but disbarred from the practice of law. As his friend Abby asked, "Is that all you are, a man with a law license?" One wonders.
Jackmeister
Nov 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, kindle
Excellent read, lots of twists and turns, I was guessing till the end, love Lou Mason it's been an excellent series so far, looking forward to more in the future.
Doug Branscombe
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm coming in late to this series. The character development was good, but there were a lot of them, and I'm guessing past relationships and interactions would be better understood if I'd read the earlier books first. Overall I liked it, constant action kept me engaged, never quite sure who had done what and why, so that was good.
Janet Wild
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
A twisting tale

Characters from other stories are linked to current characters. There are murders, cons and thefts, revenge. Who can be trusted, no one except Blues, Lou life and business unravel. So what comes next
Loretta Gabriel
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fast paced thriller that is sure to keep you guessing

The author has written a suspenseful story with many twists and turns that will guessing as to what will happen next and how will effect the attorney and his client. Very entertaining reading.
Michelle Strommen
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was a good book, I did find it slower than the rest of them and some discrepancies on characters from the last book to this book. Halfway through I was completely interested but it seemed to drag on. It was enjoyable but not as much as the others in the series.
Richard Cowart
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great series

I thoroughly enjoyed this thrilling series with action from the first book through the fifth. I will miss Lou and his companions as they start a new chapter in their lives.
Gloria Benaroch
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good book disappointed in the ending

I held my breath through every escapade that Lou Mason and Blues got themselves into. A great read, however the ending left you up in the air did not like that it was not closed up. Hopefully there will be another to finish up the story
Nic Adams
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It was a page turner from the get-go and never wavered from keeping my attention.
Certainly a book that one can read in one sitting and come way feeling good.
Marcella
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Making a lawyer human is not easy...

But somehow Mr. Goldman did in all five books. I have enjoyed your books and look forward to many more fun hours of reading.
Don Paske
Barely ok. Far, far too many characters and storylines. An unlikeable main character. Slogged my way through it.
jeremy booth
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great Series

Another cracking read from Joel Goldman. As usual a lot of planning and thought went into this story. Is this the end of the Lou Mason thrillers?
Richard  L Alumbaugh
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it

This book has many twists and turns in it as you read. Keeps you on you toes. Had made second guessing more than once.
Judith Brown
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have read all of Joel Goldman's books so know his characters well thus his books are not confusing to me since his characters are old friends. I like the way Joel develops his plots as well as the way he keeps "friends" (characters) involved in Lou's life. As with most books in the series the reader is more involved if they begin at the beginning . Nonetheless, Joel always entertains me and continues to surprise me as he develops his plot/storyline. Read this author. . . He's very good.
Susan
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
I've read most of the Lou Mason books and have enjoyed them all. Most the characters have appeared in previous novels, so it helps but isn't necessary to have read them. A lot of other reviewers thought there were too many characters and found it confusing. For some reason, I didn't feel that way. I have cousins in Kansas City and visited once a long time ago so like the city references. A few surprises in it and thought it was a pretty good mystery.
Gin Hunt
Oct 30, 2016 rated it liked it
TORN

The book was both good and bad. I found myself with too many characters to keep track of-thank heavens for xray-but I couldn't quit the book because the story was good. I hated the ending. After getting to know the main characters the ending held no promise. Like I said, this book was difficult to read and to review. It was extremely exciting at times but I also felt lost trying to keep track of so many different cases. All in all, I'm going to do something entirely new for me. I cannot
Amy Peck
Oct 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good One!

Just finished reading the entire Lou Mason series. It took me a week. I read a lot. A very good series with a main character who is smart yet at times, too smart for his own good. Lou manages to step in it about every other page. Lucky for him that he usually manages to finagle his way out of most of his predicaments. This book, which appears to be the last of the series, ties together many of the supporting players from the previous ones in the series. Very good - each one a 4-5 star
Walt Mccluskey
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Final Judgment

One of the best thrillers involving lawyers that I have read. The continuing shifts in possibility of a solution kept me guessing and definitely kept me interested in the book. I found it difficult to believe the hero could be fifty and do the physical deeds he did, but his mental gymnastics were well explained. The story did leave you hanging without a warm fuzzy feeling but that probably brings one back for the next book. Recommended.
Dave Bell
Probably would have given this 4.5 stars if possible, but I felt that this, the fifth (and last?) Lou Mason book, is the best of the lot, and I wanted to reflect that. Surprised that Goldman isn't better known. For my taste in legal thrillers, I'd rank him alongside, say, a Philip Margolin, in that level just below Turow, Lescroart, or the best of Grisham. Very enjoyable.
Suzanne Miller
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Confusion

This tale of murder and mayhem gets more complicated with each twist and turn of the plot. Flawed characters help the reader to identify with them and makes them very realistic.
Anita F Napier
Apr 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
A week in the life of a bend-the-rules lawyer. Too many characters to keep up with but overall I still liked the book. I had to finish it to see what happens to Lou. There must be a sequel because there is a missing FBI agent.
Deb Lee
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great read

The story flows like a river. Ebbs and flows. Easy to read, and each page adds a little more and more until you want to hurry to turn each page.
Lynn
Aug 10, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was good in the beginning and at the end but slow and confusing in the middle. Therefore I gave it 3 stars instead of 4.
Brian
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As the number of pages until the end dwindled, I wondered how Goldman was going to wrap everything up. Well, he managed it, and it was a surprise.
mugginsuknow
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is the second book I have read by this author. He tells a good story. The characters were interesting and relatable. Its a good book.
Dave
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An edge of your seat thriller. Great story with an interesting cast of characters. I was drawn into the story from the very first page. Right up there on my favorites list.
lesley Benrimoj
Oct 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Disappointed

No flow or co hesion in the story. The characters just did not gell and I was really losing interest.

• Tokyo Black (Thomas Caine #1)
  • Miami Burn (Titus South Florida Mystery Thriller Series Book 1)
  • The Coalition (A Nick Lassiter-Skyler Thriller #2)
  • Devil's Bargain (Cass Leary Legal Thriller #3)
  • Mortal Sin (Jake Lassiter #4)
  • The Confession  (Mike Daley/Rosie Fernandez Mystery, #5)
  • Don't Say a Word
  • Riptide (Jake Lassiter, #5)
  • This Doesn't Happen In The Movies (Reed Ferguson Mystery #1)
  • Without Precedent
  • The Girl Who Wrote The New York Times Bestseller (Thaddeus Murfee Legal Thrillers #8)
  • Flash Point (Jason Trapp, #3)
  • Burden of Truth (Cass Leary Legal Thriller #1)
  • The Bastille
  • Flawed Players (Mackenzie August #3)
  • Aces Full (Mackenzie August #4)
  • Conclusive Evidence
  • False Flag (Jason Trapp, #2)
Joel Goldman is the Edgar and Shamus nominated author of four thriller series.

His first series features Lou Mason, a trial lawyer willing to dive into the dark water to save his clients.

Joel's second series introduces former FBI Special Agent Jack Davis who has a movement disorder that makes him shake when he should shoot.Joel has a unique perspective on Jack's condition since he lives with the

Lou Mason Mystery (5 books)
  • Motion To Kill (Lou Mason, Mystery #1)
  • The Last Witness (Lou Mason Mystery #2)
  • Cold Truth (Lou Mason Mystery, #3)
  • Deadlocked (Lou Mason Mystery #4)
“door swung open again before Mason could ask if she was taking Dennis” 0 likes