Start by marking “Insanity (Insanity, #1)” as Want to Read:
Insanity (Insanity, #1)

Insanity

(Insanity #1)

After accidentally killing everyone in her class, Alice Wonder is now a patient in the Radcliffe Lunatic Asylum. No one doubts her insanity. Only a hookah-smoking professor believes otherwise; that he can prove her sanity by decoding Lewis Carroll's paintings, photographs, and find Wonderland's real whereabouts. Professor Caterpillar persuades the asylum that Alice can sav ...more
paperback, 254 pages
Published December 19th 2013 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Insanity, please sign up.
NayDoubleU nope. completely different ideas. give it a chance though. you will NOT be sorry.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Cameron Jace Can't answer that lol. But will be explained in future books:)

Start your review of Insanity (Insanity, #1)
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Sep 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: The Girl In Boots

“Sane is mundane. Insanity is the new black.”

While the original story of “Alice in Wonderland” mostly just confused me as a kid (it’ll probably still confuse me now), this creative spin on our infamous classic tale did more than just that. It intrigued, entertained and most importantly, educated me in the craziest way possible.

“Questions are the lazy man’s way to learn when the only way to learn is not to ask.”

Sneak peak at the story: Nineteen year old Alice wakes up at an
Paige  Bookdragon
Five-how-fucked-up-are-you stars

description

I already accepted the fact that I'm crazy. But when I read Insanity I didn't know I could get CRAZIER

*Read at your own risk*
Sarah Elizabeth
This was a really good Alice in Wonderland retelling, and I loved how quirky it was!

I really liked the characters in this, Alice really did come across as a modern day Alice, and I loved how we had no idea if she was really Alice, or if she was really nuts!

The other characters were also crazy, the Pillar who was certifiable, Jack who seemed like a stalker, not to mention the white queen and the Cheshire Cat himself!

The storyline in this was good, and I liked how it kept you on your toes, never
Leahxx
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
I get it, Alice in Wonderland is nonsense, but this book was complete nonsense and not in a very good way.
It was written very choppily, which I wasn't sure was supposed to be part of the madness or unfortunate writing style.
Nothing about the story was intriguing after reading the first chapter. The big reveals were uncovered in a way that made them tiring, rather than more exciting. It was faster paced, but nothing made sense. Don't get me wrong, I know it's meant to be about madness, but I wa
D.
Apr 26, 2014 rated it did not like it
I was very intrigued and excited by the summary of this book, but it turned out to be pretty bad. A great idea, but badly written. Reads like rushed fanfiction, the characters have no depth, overall it's pretty flat. Wouldn't recommend.
Melissa Chung
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
This re-telling of Alice in Wonderland was amazing. I am giving it 4 stars because the writing isn't spectacular and there are some grammatical errors.

In this re-telling of Alice in Wonderland, Alice is at the Radcliff Lunatic Asylum and has been for 2 years. She apparently drove a school bus full of her classmates and her boyfriend off the road and everyone died.

Carter Pillar is a professor from Oxford University. He is mad. He is a known serial killer and has a suite on the top floor of the sa
Phoenix2
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: ya readers mystery lovers crazy mad people out there
Recommended to Phoenix2 by: Beth Kendall
Shelves: fantasy
First of all, I should say that I am definatelly not a fan of horror books. I actually can't stand them. I didn't know this was a horror gendrer book, so when I started reading it, I was almost compelled to but it down, hide it somewhere where I will never, ever accounter with it again. But something made me to keep reading it, and good thing that I did. This book is so good, easy to read - well, it's hard to put it down, its so interesting - that I read it in 2 days, well, 1 and a half, as I wa ...more
TL
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Fan casting for the series:

Pillar:

Alice:

Sophia Sardothien
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-review
Thank you Xpresso Book Tours for sending me this book in exchange of an honest review

OHMYGOD this is by far the best Alice in wonderland retelling I've read, this book is ultimately madness and insanity which makes it extremely captivating and fun to read.

"Mad". My favorite answer. I think I should copyright it.

The plot in this book is really intriguing, in every page I'm dying to know what's next therefore it took me two sittings to finish it. Though I would have to say some parts of this
-RadioactiveBookworm-
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Goodreads synopsis: After accidentally killing everyone in her class, Alice Wonder is now a patient in the Radcliffe Lunatic Asylum. No one doubts her insanity. Only a hookah-smoking professor believes otherwise; that he can prove her sanity by decoding Lewis Carroll's paintings, photographs, and find Wonderland's real whereabouts. Professor Caterpillar persuades the asylum that Alice can save lives and catch the wonderland monsters now reincarnated in modern day criminals. In order to do so, Al ...more
Ashley
Dec 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Forget what you know about Alice and her adventures in Wonderland and prepare to learn what “really” happened to Alice and who the fairy tale characters are. Even the author becomes part of the mystique of the journey in this page turning tale. Cameron Jace has done it again – taken a story we all think we know well enough – and turned it into a whirlwind experience you have to read to believe. Cameron has a knack for taking our childhood tales and turning them into modern day fantasies! Join Al ...more
Jaime

I love Alice in Wonderland and alaways enjoy reading retellings especially the dark and twisted ones. I loved the premise of the book and knew i had to read it immediately. Some of the conversation could be a little awkward at times and near the end it just got plain confusing. Insanity was very well researched you could tell the author had put a lot of time into it.I might read the second book when it is released i am curious whether or not Wonderland is real or all in Alice's head.

Lisa Mandina
Jan 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Thanks to Xpresso Tours for allowing me to read a part of this as part of a tour. As I've mentioned many times on here I am really a fan of fairy tale or other classic story retellings. Honestly though, Alice in Wonderland was never one that I had really read all the way through. My interest in the story though changed once I read Splintered by AG Howard. I love her series. While this book doesn't quite live up to what I loved about that series, it still had a very unique new look at this classi ...more
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
www.melissa413readsalot.blogspot.com

This book is awesome! I thought it was a great twist on Alice. She's in an insane asylum for killing all of her friends.

She meets Professor Caterpillar who is in for murder too, but he gets perks from the warden because he is just too cool. He is for now at least. You never know the twist these books will take.

Alice is really cool but has no memories. She gets electric shock pretty regular. But with the help of a few friends she starts to remember things.

Al
Booky
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really loved the combo of thriller, fantasy and fairy-tale retelling rolled into one. It's pretty bizarre in parts. And it ended with a cliffhanger!!! Did Alice really kill her classmates or not??? LOL. It's a free 'teaser' book, but it's novel length. Can't wait to read the entire series.
Shelly Hammond
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a trip! This book was just one mind boggle after another. You think you know what's going on and maybe you do, but then again, maybe you don't. You probably don't, but you might. Things might be really happening, but they might not be. Can you tell the difference?

The author put a completely unique twist on the Alice in Wonderland story, one you just never would have expected. The characters that are so loved (and hated but even the hated are loved by Wonderland fans) are brought to life in
Andrea
Dec 22, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
DNF AT 27%

I don't know what the deal with this book is, nor am I familiar with Jace's work, but this is very poorly written and confusing. There are parts where you get Alice's first person point of view, and then it jumps and you get a third person narration. It's not really coherent.

Plus, the story is dragging for me. I thought killer creatures from Wonderland would be awesome. But we just get Pillar being an arrogant ass.

Not for me.
Melanie
*Final Review*

Insanity by Cameron Jace is a modern day retelling of the famous story, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll. The story follows Alice Wonder, Alice is a patient in the Radcliffe Lunatic Asylum after she killed all of her friends and boyfriend by crashing the school bus they were all on. Alice doesn't remember any of this, she's then taken in by Professor Pillar (resident of the Radcliffe Lunatic Asylum) to help figure out where the Cheshire Cat is and help a little gir
Waukesha
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was free so I downloaded the ebook. I'm so glad I did. I love a good mystery where u don't know who is being truthful or who is twisting the world with a web of lies. Totally wasn't expecting anything at any point and that kept me excitedly intrigued.

It lost me a bit in the middle but came back full force in the end. Glad I kept reading. I am definitely going to get book 2 and 3 while they are .99 cents lol.
Olivia-Savannah  Roach
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
I will admit, I saw this book popping up on a couple of blog feeds, loved the cover and pounced on the chance to read this. Did I read the synopsis beforehand? Nope. Did I read reviews for this book? Nope. I kind of dived in head first. And the result was not too pretty, but not completely bad either.

After reading this book, there is only one word to sum up how I feel: confused. I felt like all these things were happening at once and not completely explained enough to make sense, but were expla
Sanna
Dec 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Oh Alice in Wonderland retellings, i do love you. This book is no different, actually it may be slightly more insane than most. :)

Alice Wonder is stuck in an insane asylum after killing everyone in her class (makes sense), she spends her days either having electroshock therapy or talking to her potted plant. She feels sorry for her plant because it doesn’t get enough sunlight. Poor plant. And poor Alice, she’s been shocked so many times she can only remember up to about last week and then it goe
Dark Sith Lordette Jennymort ♔
May 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Alice in Wonderland Lovers/Crime Lovers
Recommended to Dark Sith Lordette Jennymort ♔ by: Myself
My mind is.....
description

This book was insane. Just strait up cray-cray. To make up this …. Book ….

First have an old first addition copy of 'Alice's Adventure Underground'. (In the book they state that it was only changed to Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland so that no sane person would search for this crazy world or let the monsters out.)
description

Add a dash of special crazy serial Professor Carter Pillar AKA 'Killer the Pillar'.
description
Who somehow can magically get his way in and out of the asylum any time he wants, eve
Dina
Oct 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
First of all fabulous writing; I was a little confused who was narrating the story some times but other than that i absolutely loved it!

I was really hooked at the beginning but halfway when things started to get weird I was confused like what was going on ? this is kind of stupid....

BUT THEN AT THE END THE MAJOR PLOT TWIST HAPPENS AND IM LIKE DROWNING IN EMOTIONS AND IM LIKE WTF AND I SIT THERE FOR 25 min TRYING TO UNDERSTAND THIS; THEN I REALIZE YOU CANT UNDERSTAND IT, THATD IMPOSSIBLE!

so Alice
Abbie
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-review
(I received a copy from the author, In exchange for an honest review.)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This was so so strange, but I really liked it!

I didn't know what to think to some of the characters in this, but Pillar especially baffled me. He was just so crazy and hard to trust!
I quite liked Alice though, as she really cared about getting one of the girls back from the Chesire.

The prologue was brilliant, and instantly got me hooked. It did get really strange at points after that, but i still loved the story.
This is
Nicole M. Hewitt
Jan 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
This review and many others can be found on my blog - Feed Your Fiction Addiction

Insanity is a quirky, somewhat bizarre modern take on Alice in Wonderland. (Of course, the oddities fit in quite well with Carroll's original tale). After reading this book, I'm still not quite sure if Alice is mad or not, and I have a feeling that that's just what Jace wanted!

The story follows Alice Wonder, who has been locked in an insane asylum for the past two years because she killed everyone in her class. Howe
Sabrina Bay
Jul 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
NO SPOILERS

They really are all mad in there...

"I told him Alice is only seven," the girl continues. "She can't save me."
"What did he say to that?"
"He said, 'Alice is grown up now, and she will try to save the world."

Okay, here are the reasons why I first read that book
1. It was free on ibook.
2. I loved the summary.
3. I LOVE Alice in Wonderland.

The first few pages got me a bit confused BUT I was tired. I didn't know what to expect. After only a few pages I wasn't able to stop. I kept telling my
Kimberley doruyter
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
loved the insanity of this book.
hope there are many more to come.
Satarupa
Jan 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I got this book from the author free of cost, in exchange of an honest review from my side.

Firstly I would like to thank the author for giving me this opportunity of reading and reviewing this book.

I really adored every scene of it.

It was written so fantastically that I couldn't help myself and I'm bound to say that I enjoyed it much more than the original one. Well that's really saying something, right? The fact that it is a new and modern tale also added to that feeling and I was so impressed
Apryl Møss
Insanity is well insane

I really loved reading Cameron's Insanity. Insanity is about the adventurers of a girl named Alice who is locked up in an Asylum for killing her classmates.

Some situations in the book seems almost impossible but hey this book is called Insanity so of course it will be an insane adventure. While reading this, it will have you constantly asking what is real and what isn't. This is a mad world after all.

I loved Alice in Wonderland when I was little and I had fun reading thi
Blake Farron
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any fans of Alice in Wonderland
This book was absolutely amazing! I am obsessed with Alice so had to give this a go and it was seriously one of the best adaptions I've read! I loved all the characters so much, it was just AMAZING!! I especially love how the Caterpillar was an important character instead of the Hatter, it was different from all other adaptions, which truly made it a great read!! Can't wait for the next one and will definitely read this again when I have the time!

• Entombed in Glass (Unfortunate Soul Chronicles #2)
  • Rise of the Sea Witch (Unfortunate Soul Chronicles, #1)
  • Pursuing Madness (Unfortunate Soul Chronicles, #3)
  • Curiouser and Curiouser (Steampunk Fairy Tales: Alice in Wonderland, #1)
  • Stars (Wendy Darling, #1)
  • So Silver Bright (Théâtre Illuminata, #3)
  • Betwixt (Betwixt & Between #1)
  • Fairest (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale, #2)
  • Grave Magic Bounty (Forty Proof, #1)
  • Alice in Zombieland (White Rabbit Chronicles, #1)
  • Don't Say My Name (Legends Unleashed, #1)
  • Frivolous Magic (Chantilly Lace, #1)
  • Hard to Escape
  • The Fisherman's Nightmare
  • The Beach Scene
  • Sabotaged (Sundance, #3)
  • UnEnchanted (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale, #1)
  • Switched (Fear Street, #31)
Bestselling author of the Grimm Diaries and Insanity series. A traveller and collector of out-of-print books from all over the world, obsessed with the origins of folk tales and the mysterious storytellers who spread them. Many of his books made Amazon's Top 100 Customer Favorites in Kindle 2015 & Amazon's Top 100 kindle list. Cameron lives in California. When he isn't writing or collecting books, ...more

Insanity (9 books)
  • Figment (Insanity, #2)
  • Circus (Insanity, #3)
  • Hookah (Insanity, #4)
  • Wonder (Insanity, #5)
  • Checkmate (Insanity, #6)
  • Family (Insanity, #7)
  • Mushrooms (Insanity, #8)
  • Looking Glass (Insanity, #9)

News & Interviews

“One of the privileges of not knowing who you are is that you can pretend to be anyone you like.” 39 likes
“Living among the sane is insane.” 27 likes