Start by marking “Press on: Messages on Faith, Hope, and Charity” as Want to Read:
Press on: Messages on Faith, Hope, and Charity

Press on: Messages on Faith, Hope, and Charity

4.48  ·  Rating details ·  137 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin, who turns 90 this year, is known among his colleagues as a wise man, a resilient man, and a man of complete integrity. He is also known for telling wonderful stories. In Press On, he shares lessons and insights he has gleaned during his life. His messages focus on the three virtues spoken of so eloquently by the Apostle Paul--faith, hope, and char ...more
Published January 1st 2007 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about Press on, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Press on

Michele
Nov 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
I first fell in love with Elder Wirthlin when he spoke in conference about Snowball. The horse with amazing ability to jump. I enjoyed his addresses after that. This book has many of my favorites including, Sunday Will Come,
Quotes: 60 Faith exists when absolute confidence in that which we cannot see combines with action that is in absolute conformity to the will of our Heavenly Father.

James E Faust, page 144.The Holy Ghost: It can enhance our natural senses so that we can see more clearly, hear
Heather
Jun 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious
I've wanted to read this book for a long time, but am grateful I read it now. Elder Wirthlin's reminder to press on with faith, hope, and charity were a much needed message for me now. This book is a compilation of talks edited together in a wonderful way presenting Elder Wirthlin's consistently cheerful and humble message and testimony. I love his words teaching of Jesus Christ and the importance of continuing forward and doing our best. So many important principles are covered here, but my fav ...more
Janene
Dec 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Such a great collection of talks! These are words of counsel that lift and encourage, and it is glimpses into the life of a great man, one who spent so MANY of his days serving and teaching others.

My favorites ... that I will re-read down the road, I'm sure.

The Abundant Life **

"We may not be gifted artists, sculptors, or musicians, but the greatest art of all is the art of living. We can take the clay of time and create from it a masterpiece of an abundant life. Love the Lord with all your heart
Becky
Dec 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, religious
This is a beautiful book written by an Apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ. Elder Wirthlin offers insights into living the gospel with more dedication and joy. Some of my favorite quotes:
"..when we cling to our sins, our pleasures, and sometimes even our perceived obligations; resist the influence of the Holy Ghost; and put aside the words of the prophets; we then stand at the shore of our own Galilee, nets tightly entangling us. We find ourselves unable to leave them behind and follow the living C
Heather
Jun 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious
This was a great book. I gave it four stars instead of five because much of the book is a reproduction of conference talks and BYU devotionals, not new material. Nevertheless, it is inspirational and encouraging, and it seems that even talks by apostles I've heard or read before supply new food for thought each time they're re-read.
Gina
Oct 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book! It will be a great reference for me to use in the future. It does take some pressing on to get through the book, but it is worth it. It is very uplifting. I really enjoyed getting a deeper glimpse of Elder Wirthlin's testimony. He has a very strong testimony of Joseph Smith, President Hinckley, and the Book of Mormon.
Trinna
Sep 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: church-lds, learning
I loved this book. What a sweet man this Apostle is. Several of his talks in it are my favorite. This book inspired me to try a little harder to be a better individual. I've dog-eared sections I want to go back and print out for future references.
Ross Johnson
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was a little disappointed the book didn't contian anything different than a compilation of his talks throughout the years. A great and inspiring read, but nothing you can't get by searching for his talks online.
Katiemiller
Sep 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Biased yes, but a prime anthology of Elder Wirthlin's best conference addresses. I still flip through it monthly and find huge inspiration and rejuvenation through his wisdom and tender testimony. It makes me a better person with each read. LOVE LOVE LOVE it.
Danielle Bennett
Aug 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone, especially anyone LDS
This book is amazing! Elder Wirthlin has some great messages to share. I have really enjoyed the gospel lessons intermixed with life experiences (some of them his). It seems to make the importance of those lessons stronger. This book is very inspirational and an enjoyable reading experience.
Jonathan
May 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Joseph B Wirthlin always gives great talks at conference, so I really liked this book since it is basically a bunch of his talks catergorized under topics of faith, hope, and charity.
Kim Dennis
Jul 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It was wonderful reading talks given by Elder Wirthlin. It really made me miss him.
Dixon
Jul 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very good book for all to read.
Doug
May 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This Apostle of the Lord presents a book with chapters that have their own messages of discipleship. This newest addition to the LDS genre is a gem.
Brett
Oct 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
Use this book during dark days
Brenda
Apr 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous insight and exactly what I needed at the time.
Douglas
Jun 18, 2011 rated it liked it
This was mostly just a compilation of his talks, I liked it, I think my mom gave it to me.
Suzan
Oct 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
Love Elder Wirthlin and the wisdom and insights he had. What a great man!
Mckell
Jul 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book is a compilation of Elder Wirthlin's best talks. I read it during my lunch break. It's great!!
Cami
Feb 11, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: db-approved
I was a little disappointed to realize this is a collection of Elder Wirthlin's General Conference talks instead of an original book. It was good to review many of his teachings though.
Tanis
Jun 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It was so uplifting and inspiring! Joseph B. Wirthlin was an amazing man.
Amber
Jan 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
He is such a funny guy. I love his talks, and the way he teaches life lessons.
Teri
Jan 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: church-religion, 2008
This book is in three sections, faith, hope and charity, with talks by Elder Wirthlin that fit in each category. Very inspiring. Many ideas of things we can do to grow in all three areas.
Cindy
Mar 12, 2008 rated it liked it
To press on with Faith, Hope and Charity.
Ina
Aug 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading his messages. They are just inspiring.
Brian Woodward
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Trusting Jesus
  • Finding Peace, Happiness, and Joy
  • The Garden Tomb
  • Hearing the Voice of the Lord: Principles and Patterns of Personal Revelation (Divine Guidance, #1)
  • Because He First Loved Us
  • I Walked to Zion: True Stories of Young Pioneers on the Mormon Trail
  • Investigating the Book of Mormon Witnesses
  • Inspiring Experiences That Build Faith: From the Life and Ministry of Thomas S. Monson
  • Life of Joseph Smith: The Prophet
  • God Wants A Powerful People
  • Daughters of God: Scriptural Portraits
  • The Uses of Adversity
  • When You Can't Do It Alone
Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin was ordained an Apostle of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on October 9, 1986. He was sustained and set apart as an Assistant to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles on 4 April 1975 and served in that capacity until he was called to the First Quorum of the Seventy in April 1976. He was set apart in the Presidency of the First Quorum of the Seventy on August 28 ...more
More about Joseph B. Wirthlin...

“Each person in the world is different and has their own beautiful sound in the symphony of life.” 20 likes