Start by marking “Oceanic” as Want to Read:
Oceanic

Oceanic

(Collected Stories #3)

Collected together here for the first time are twelve stories by the incomparable Greg Egan, one of the most exciting writers of science fiction working today. In these dozen glimpses into the future Egan continues to explore the essence of what it is to be human, and the nature of what - and who - we are, in stories that range from parables of contemporary human conflict ...more
Published July 29th 2013 by Greg Egan (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Oceanic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oceanic

Ajeje Brazov
Oceanic, terzo libro che leggo di Egan, ma dalle prime pagine ho avuto un attimo di disorientamento, chiuso il libro ho riletto il titolo e chi lo avesse scritto, ebbene sì lo ha scritto Greg Egan. Eppure dalla mia esperienza con le sue opere da me lette ("La terra moltiplicata" e "La scala di Schild"), non mi sarei mai aspettato un libro così come si è rivelato alla fine. Comunque mi è piaciuto, non so com'è ma questo autore mi sbalordisce sempre.

In questo racconto seguiamo la vita di Martin, c
Ami Iida
Oct 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
I read it once upon a time then I read it twice just now.
Since I learn Quantum mechanics,General relativity and IT,
I am easy to understand the contents of it.
Generally speaking science fiction are many physics novels
but Eagan's short stories contains the contents of Molecular biology.
Tor Gar
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Libro que recopila tres relatos de similar extensión.
El primero de igual título que el libro, el segundo llamado Oráculo y el tercero Singleton. A pesar de ir en contra de la opinión mayoritaria van ordenados de peor a mejor. Entiéndase como de que menos me ha gustado a más si se prefiere.

Oceánico, que da nombre a la recopilación, es un bluf. Dicen que es un relato muy logrado y donde es autor alcanza la madurez y… habladurías todo. Algún detalle que si, bueno, de él se podría sacar algo pero en
BetseaK
A nice short story. I was wavering between 3 and 3.5 stars.
My rating refers only to the eponimous Hugo award-winning novella, freely available online here: http://www.gregegan.net/OCEANIC/Compl...
Daniorte
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Último libro del año y qué mejor que Greg Egan en su mejor faceta: Los relatos cortos.

En Oceánico se encuentran tres relatos que, para mi, muestran lo mejor del autor ya que ninguno flaquea.

Oceánico: Un relato menos especulativo de lo que acostumbra. Más centrado en la evolución del personaje y en un conflicto científico religioso en un futuro lejano y en un planeta lejano. Lo más destacado para mi sería el desarrollo de las ideas de la sexualidad que, en parte, recuerdan a Distress pero algo ma
Cristian
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tres historias: una que cuestiona los orígenes de las creencias religiosas, la siguiente, un mano a mano de una versión alternativa de Turing y C.S. Lewis, y la ultima, las connotaciones de la construcción de una inteligencia artificial. Como acostumbra, Egan es un escritor muy exigente con sus lectores, proponiendo ideas y escenarios novedosos sin que estos afecten el desarrollo de buenas historias. Muy recomendado.
Ethan
Aug 15, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hard SF for folks who enjoy ideas over characterization and style. Some of the ideas are intriguing, and a bunch of people seem to think Egan is some sort of genius for rambling on about esoteric subjects, but I don't understand the hype.

The blurb about the book says Egan writes stories about "what it is to be human." I think maybe they read a different book.
s
The two Amalgam stories were closer to a 4, but everything else was pretty subpar, including the titular story. Two of them were completely unreadable, and would have still been unreadable without the bizarre rape subplot (???). Disappointing, since I figured Egan's dense ideas would be better suited to a shorter format anyway.
Ami Iida
Oct 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
I read it once upon a time then I read it twice just now.
Since I learn Quantum mechanics,General relativity and IT,
I am easy to understand the contents of it.
Generally speaking science fiction are many physics novels
but Eagan's short stories contains the contents of Molecular biology.
Danila Sentyabov
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: _fiction-and-fun
Not all the stories were equally engaging for me, but the eponymous novella deserves 5 out of 5 stars. Overall, I'd give this collection a solid 4 out of 5. Femtomachines FTW!
Charlie
Strange short story about people living on an ocean planet that was populated by a starfaring race that has long since disappeared. Some interesting discussion of how religion and science collide.
Robert Laird
A nice, short story about how the feelings of faith can have biological causes, and the challenge of determining if that is inconsequential or not. Good read.
Nicolas
Gardes-frontières
Du football quantique, rien que ça.
Et encore, ce football quantique n'est qu'un avant-goût de l'univers présenté. Pour être honnête, je suis à peu près certain de ne pas avoir tout compris. Parce qu'entre l'espèce de multivers fractal, les personnages virtuels immortels, et l'incapacitié à communiquer typique d'Egan, cette nouvelle était plutôt difficile à appréhender.
En fait, je n'ai pas trop saisi où ce trouvait le coeur de cette histoire : la description d'un sport étrange
Joe Silber
I'm a huge fan of Greg Egan's short stories, but I found this collection to be slightly underwhelming, though still enjoyable. Egan typically writes hard, hard sci-fi that either delves into advanced physics or biology/neurology/the human brain/consciousness, in high-concept ways that really "wow" the reader. His stories are still hard sci-fi in this collection, but were, for me, less memorable than usual. A number of the stories were not fully, truly stand-alone, in that they were either sequel ...more
Francesco
"Oceanic" è un racconto breve, leggibile interamente in un pomeriggio.

Ho approcciato questo libro in quanto avevo letto che Greg Egan fosse un esponente dell' hard sci-fy e ho pensato di iniziare dal romanzo con cui ha vinto il premio Hugo. Ebbene, questo libro non è hard sci-fy: non è la fisica a farla da padrona, ma la filosofia. Se vi siete allontanati da Greg Egan per le eccessive nozioni fisiche che egli richiede al lettore, state tranquilli: potete leggere "Oceanic".
Il racconto narra infat
Ben Shee
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read some of the articles on Greg Egan's blog / website, which were good accompaniments to this collection of short stories. Greg's passion for refugees (which is a little stark in the first story of this collection), mathematics (sprinkled throughout, but particularly in the sequel to Luminous), space, physics and religion make for an engaging and thought provoking collection of stories.

I would especially recommend reading Greg's story about his encounter with God called "Born Again,
Briefly
Stefan Novakovic
Mar 26, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Unfortunately a real slog to get through. The stories here are much longer than what Egan usually puts out, but no more interesting.

Enjoyed 'Oracle' the most, since it earned its length (and offered a neat perspective on the time-travelling inventor story). 'Crystal Nights' was also alright as (basically) a short story version of Egan's Permutation City.

I did not like the other ten stories. I liked parts of them, but they often ended abruptly, well after they'd worn out their welcome.
Łukasz Stafiniak
I especially liked the Amalgam stories in the collection.
Colin Marr
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a fantastic read
Petri
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Uneven but some stories span to brilliance. Egan has grown more mature and confident in his writing.
MariaGrazia Bacilieri
Perplessa
Carlos Castillo
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oceanis is truly epic

Oceanic is truly epic and as a post-post-transhumanist story is quite unique. It is the jewel of this collection, but the other stories are also excellent.
Matthew Talbert
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I don't know how to describe this except mind-bending.
David
Sep 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This strong collection from hard SF maestro Greg Egan features his signature blend of fitful characterisation, competent prose, and exhilarating speculation.
- "Lost Continent" is a flat, nonspeculative criticism of Australia's refugee policy; while politically admirable, it is unsubtle and bathetic. **
- "Dark Integers" and "Crystal Nights" are computation-oriented stories which clearly prefigure the second half of Permutation City. "Dark Integers" also explores the notion of mathematics "superve
Oscar
Greg Egan es quizás el escritor de ciencia ficción hard más destacado actualmente. Su escritura se caracteriza por sus ideas revolucionarias, mezcla de matemáticas, física, biología, informática y filosofía. Todo esto hace que sus obras exijan mucho del lector, e incluso puede provocar que éste se pierda entre tanta información científica. Además, a Egan se le suele achacar que deja un tanto de lado la caracterización de personajes en detrimento de la ciencia. Sin embargo, esto no es óbice para ...more
Timothy Lohrey
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
3.5-5

The stories in this book were overall very interesting. I particularly liked the stories with the amalgam. I did not read two of the stories: Dark Integers, and Border Guards.

Crystal Nights: 5/5. I loved this one. It's a story that inspired me to seek more fiction similar to it. It's about AI, biology, evolution, and more. Really liked it due to the idea of 'playing' with civilizations.

Glory: 4.5/5. Another one I heavily enjoyed, an Amalgam first contact story.

Lost Continent 3.5/5. While
Cryptid
Sep 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short stories. The Dark Integers is a sequel for Luminous, so I advise you to read the Luminous collection before this one, but not to seriously... The idea of (multi/)universe being divided by different competing mathematical theorems making up sort of their own dimensions of consistency that would lead to kind of a cold mathematical war between parallel universes is made pretty clear.
You can also look forward to (or get scared away by) Quantum Soccer http://www.gregegan.net/BORDER/Soccer... an
Klerik
Jul 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third collection of short stories by Egan I've read. It definitely does not disappoint, and I'd say it's somewhat better than Luminous, though not as good as Axiomatic. I'd also say that though ideas are often the main focus of Egan's writing, a lot of the stories in this collection are written with what I imagine to be somewhat more relatable characters than before. Notable stories in this regard are Oceanic, starring a religious scientist discovering evidence which sheds new light ...more
Sbulf
Jun 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

"Oceanic" getta le basi per degli spunti di riflessione teologici e sociologici non da poco, sia per il lettore e la lettrice ate* o agnostic* che per il/la credente di una qualsivoglia fede. Il romanzo di Greg Egan ci mette in guardia sul ripetersi delle tragedie umane passate, sul ripresentarsi di eventi drammatici già avvenuti nella storia umana, anche a distanza di millenni, qualora venissero storicamente dimenticati. L'essere umano può vincere la sua
Juno Silkshade
A good introduction to Egan. Great style and themes; Some of his ideas are simply awesome and his delivery is very convincing. About 1/2 of the collection involves very complicated mathematical and sciency stuff which I found difficult to follow. But the other 1/2 didnt have much of the complicated theories.

(below might contain spoilers)

Steve Fever: 4/5 (nanopunk)
Induction: 5/5 (space travel, mind upload)
Lost Continent: 3/5 (time travel, parallel universe)
Dark Integers: 3/5 (parallel universe,
  • The Turing Test
  • Selected Stories
  • Japan: A Reinterpretation
  • Silver Screen
  • Iran
  • The Dog Said Bow-Wow
  • Anime: from Akira to Princess Mononoke, Experiencing Contemporary Japanese Animation
  • The Complete Short Stories
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion: 3-in-1 Edition, Vol. 3
  • Lovers in the Age of Indifference
  • What Computers Still Can't Do: A Critique of Artificial Reason
  • A Touch of Strange
Greg Egan specialises in hard science fiction stories with mathematical and quantum ontology themes, including the nature of consciousness. Other themes include genetics, simulated reality, posthumanism, mind transfer, sexuality, artificial intelligence, and the superiority of rational naturalism over religion.

He is a Hugo Award winner (and has been shortlisted for the Hugos three other times), an

Collected Stories (3 books)
  • Axiomatic
  • Luminous
“Mathematics catalogues everything that is not self-contradictory; within that vast inventory, physics is an island of structures rich enough to contain their own beholders.” 35 likes
“Death never gave meaning to life: it was always the other way round.” 18 likes