Start by marking “Swim, Bike, Run: Our Triathlon Story” as Want to Read:
Swim, Bike, Run: Our Triathlon Story

Swim, Bike, Run: Our Triathlon Story

Swim, Bike, Run is the ultimate triathlon book, from Olympic heroes the Brownlee brothers

The Olympic Triathlon, Hyde Park, London

August 7th 2012

'We jogged to our positions on the pontoon: two brothers, side by side, the world and everyone we ever cared about looking on. Eighteen years of training, culminating in this single race. Noise from the crowd impossible to imagine. Hearts thumping. Swim-hats pul2012

'WeLondon

August/>The/>

Published June 1st 2013 by Penguin

Start your review of Swim, Bike, Run: Our Triathlon Story
Khurram
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very good book/training manual. I would not call this really an autobiography simply because apart from Alistair and Jonathan's early years and start in Triathlons there is very little on their personal lives. However with them both being so young and so much of their time is taken up by their training it does not really leave much time for a social life.

2/3 of the things of the book are done brilliantly. The tip and training secrets are great. The Brownlee brothers inside the race
Toni
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my kind of sporting biography. No extraneous details or irrelevancies here. Just two blokes from Yorkshire swimming, biking and running insanely hard (and insanely well), in all weathers and all corners of the world but never moving far away from their roots in Yorkshire. These guys did it their way - accepted the help of their federation but not their facilities or staff if they didn't suit them. They knew that their environment was what had made them such superb athletes and they sensi ...more
Sean Sevitt
A fun easy read. Well then again Reading about my two favorite triathletes road to Olympic success was always going to be joyful.
Fiona
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable read. An account of their early life and the build up to the Olympics.
Annabel
Jun 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting insight into elite sport and elite athletes. Particularly so the relationship between the two brothers.
Emma-Louise Gale
Inspirational, fun and informative
RachelSmith
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really interesting

Love how open & honest they both are
A good read if you are a fan of the brothers or triathlon in general
Paulisbored
Interesting story but a fairly average sports biography.
Joshua Tucker
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
SUCH an inspiring story, down to earth, and massively humble. Read it in 2 sittings, couldn't put it down 😀👍
Best sports autobiography I've ever read .
Hazel
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fab book and insight into the minds and regimes of the Brownlee brothers. I found it hard to put down.
David Douglas
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Inspired. Only done 2 triathlons. These guys do more training in a week than I do all year.
Melrose
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
An incredibly interesting insight into the lives of the Brownlee brothers, although having said that there wasn't much detail into their personal lives. This could be taken in multiple ways: since they are so dedicated to their training, there honestly is no room for interaction with other people (so to speak) and therefore there is nothing to be mentioned, or that the publishers decided that the brief scan of their childhood was enough to fulfil this (rather important) criteria of an autobiogra ...more
Serena Bolliger
So this book is not for intellectuals looking for beautiful prose. It is written (or dictated?) by two young athletes who work really hard and think mostly about training. I enjoyed reading about how they got to where they were going, and about their down days and good days, because I think the rollercoaster is true for any athlete. Jonny's parts were particularly resonant, because they too are written by a talented athlete, but one who feels more like the rest of us, impressed and a little scar ...more
Matt
Aug 15, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 stars.

It wasn't a bad book, although I will admit that I had higher expectations. I liked the use of two narrators, and what Jonny wrote particularly resonated with me - although they have practically put in the same amount of work, he seems to be the harder working of the siblings, and it appeared as though Alastair is the more genetically blessed of the pair. A thought-provoking and entertaining book, with some helpful training advice - although don't read the book just with that
Stephen Redwood
Easy and interesting read if you're a triathlete, but not much in there of a technical nature for anyone looking for more broadly relevant insights. It is quite free flowing and has an appealingly honest and open feel to it. The relationship between the brothers and how they square their closeness and competitiveness is interesting, as is their approach to training, which appears to be as much built on habit as on advice. Sports science plays an extremely minor part in their lives, apparently. T ...more
Debbie
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
Having been a follower of the Triathlon World Series for a few years and watched the Brownlee's (along with Gomez) pretty much dominate the sport. This book gives a peep into the hard work, dedication and almost obsessive like training that it takes to be leading world class triathletes and medal winning Olympians.

It gives a glimpse into what the sibling rivalry that goes hand in hand with two brothers being the best in the world. Being totally chalk and cheese they drive each other
Jules
I really enjoyed reading this autobiographical piece written by the Brownlee brothers. They provide a descriptive reflection of their lives from early childhood including how they became involved in triathlon through to their journey to the London Olympics and immediately after. A great read for anyone interested in triathlon, sport in general or just someone looking for inspiring Olympic success stories.

You can read the full review of this book by Mum2Athletes, and also a review of
Christopher Herte
Apr 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the frequent perspective of Alistair and then younger brother Jonny about the same issues or events. Through these perspectives you picked up a bit of their individual natures. Learning and understanding the unique circumstance of training with a sibling for the same sport at the world stage level was very insightful. The book is well written and I would have given it at least 4 stars if it were more detailed about their triathlon training or more detailed about their personal life. A ...more
Aug 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
24 hours after the postie dropped it on the doormat, I'm finished. Loved it. Take heed though - if you're looking for a book about triathlon that'll help you, this isn't it. This is two brothers recounting their tale with some swim, bike, run tips thrown in.

The way it's written totally encompasses what we know about Ali and Jonny. They're down to earth Yorkshire boys. Throughout they are mercilessly unkind about each other and in the sibling style, they each remember events different
Steve
Sep 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Big heroes, so what was their (ghost-written) joint autobiography going to be like? Initially I thought the switching between the two voices would bother me but I liked it in the end. They seemed quite open about each other and their relationship which I liked. Disappointed though that their achievements in, and love of, fell running was hardly mentioned (I AM biased mind). Even their training tips were instructive, giving a good picture of what it takes to be the top 2 triathletes in the world.
Taasia ✨
This book was good. Good, but not amazing. It can keep you entertain for about a hour or two but not forever. To be honest, when you compare it with other British athletes autobiographies such as Twin Ambitions and Unbelievable, it's mediocre.

Sure, it kept me hooked, and the tips were helpful (and I do all three disciplines myself) but the writing was okay. The Brownlee brothers are honestly better athletes than writers, and that's totally fine.
Jacqueline Williams
My friend Sue & I went to Hyde Park that day!
We didn't get to the swim but watched all the cycling laps and then walked across to see the running. The atmosphere was something I'll never forget. Britain at it's finest.
Reading about their journey and their day was brilliant
Enjoyed every minute and even went running, swimming and cycling myself to celebrate!
Michael Stubben
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Interesting look at elite athletes from a unique perspective

The Brownlee brothers do a great job of providing an inside look at the rise to champions in triathlon. The dynamics of two brothers and the differing personalities was fascinating. Excellent book and I'll be cheering for them in 2020 summer Olympics.
Julie
Aug 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autobiography
Fascinating insight into the Brownlee brothers growing up, and the world of triathlon, particularly their account of their London 2012 experience. I can't say it inspired me to become a triathlete (as if!) but interesting reading.
Helen Croydon
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Loved this book. a touching story which talks about everything triathlon and reveals the complex but friendly rivalry between two siblings. I wanted to know more about the rest of their lives though, outside of training.
Bec
Jul 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inspirational stuff, with echos of Bounce by Matthew Syed which I read last year.
Simon Brighty
Not bad but not great
Iain
Nov 22, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worth reading if you're a triathlete. There's no training secrets that will revolutionise your own racing, just the story of how two sporty kids ended up top of the world in their sport.
Sam
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant. Funny, self-depreciating and insightful. A quick look into the lives and training of two of the world's best triathlete's. How to live with and succeed through obsession.
Pearson Smith
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
awesome to hear from the best of the best in triathlon

• A Life Without Limits: A World Champion's Journey
  • The World of Cycling According to G
  • Dare to Tri: My Journey from the BBC Breakfast Sofa to GB Team Triathlete
  • The Climb: The Autobiography
  • The Triathlete's Training Bible
  • My Time
  • The Tour According to G: My Journey to the Yellow Jersey
  • Inside Team Sky: The Inside Story of Team Sky and Their Challenge for the 2013 Tour de France
  • Accidental Ironman
  • Twin Ambitions: My Autobiography
  • Unbelievable: From My Childhood Dreams To Winning Olympic Gold
  • Iron War: Dave Scott, Mark Allen, & the Greatest Race Ever Run
  • Fatboy to Ironman
  • The Secret Race: Inside the Hidden World of the Tour de France: Doping, Cover-ups, and Winning at All Costs
  • Operation Ironman: One Man's Four Month Journey from Hospital Bed to Ironman Triathlon
  • Project Rainbow: How British Cycling Reached the Top of the World