Start by marking “Shadows & Dreams (Kate Kane, Paranormal Investigator, #2)” as Want to Read:
Shadows & Dreams (Kate Kane, Paranormal Investigator, #2)

Read Excerpt

Shadows & Dreams

(Kate Kane, Paranormal Investigator #2)

Previously published; newly revised by author

I like my women like I like my whiskey: liable to kill me.

The two parts of being a paranormal private investigator I could really do without are being forced to eat bananas by an animated statue with a potassium fixation, and being put on trial for murder by a self-appointed council of vampire oligarchs.

To be fair, I did kind of
ebook, 1st edition, 362 pages
Published June 16th 2014 by Riptide Publishing (first published June 14th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Shadows & Dreams, please sign up.
jassira raxlly I hope so! It's listed as "Fire and Water" in the end of the first two books.
I second the question, dear author!

Start your review of Shadows & Dreams (Kate Kane, Paranormal Investigator, #2)
Julio Genao
Mar 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved
my spirit was lifeless, and then alexis hall gave me liiiiiiiife.

description

*makes expansive i-totally-haz-life-now-u-gaiz gesture*

what a ride.

again.

i'm in love with a lesbian alcoholic and a marble automaton with excellent deep-oral skills and inexhaustible stamina.

also the witchy earth-mother type in the comfy jeans.

also the vampire prince with the velvet and the epaulets and the big hats.

also the OMFG I HAVE TO GO READ IT AGAIN BRB
Lex Kent
4.50 Stars. I just love this series. This is book two in the Kate Kane, Paranormal Investigator series. Those of you who read my reviews will notice I don’t do rereads often, there are just so many book so little time. This book I have actually read 3 times so I think that shows just how much I love this series. Paranormal/urban fantasy lesfic books are my absolutely favorite genre to read and this series fits what I love perfectly. The reason I am reading this series again now is that it is ...more
Lex Kent
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: f-f-paranormal
4 1/2 Stars. This is a re-read for me. I wanted to see how these books held up, and if I still loved them as much as I remembered. The answer is yes, though book 1 is a bit better than this one. This is still a great paranormal adventure. As sarcastic an ornery Kate can be, you can't help but love her.
I really wish Alexis Hall would write more of these. If you are interested read book 1 first.
Jude
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Iron & Velvet, the first Kate Kane book, had taken me by surprise, in the best way. I’d really enjoyed the gothic vampire / film noir atmosphere, and the cynical but benevolent Kate. I therefore had great expectations for the next one, Shadows & Dreams. I was not disappointed.

Kate is on trial for the murder of one of the London Vampire Princes (read the first book). As she waits for the Council to decide whether her killing him was indeed murder, Kate, with the help of her assistant
Wart Hill
You can read this and other reviews at Things I Find While Shelving

[I received a free ARC via NetGalley. This fact has no bearing on my review]

That. Was. AWESOME.

Seriously, that was so. So good.

Kate Kane is a Private Investigator in London. But not the London you're used to. Her girlfriend is a vampire, one of her ex girlfriends is the Witch Queen of London, there are werewolves and fae and all kinds of supernatural beings running around and generally making Kate's life difficult.

I loved
Iben
There are so many things I could mention to point out why this book hits me right in my queer little gal's heart. Like how all plot driving characters are female or gender diverse. It's erotic, but not written like erotica - and I'm not about putting one above the other, because I love good erotica - but it suits the mood of this book so well. And there's the almost flawless use up to the point of parody of the traditional noir first person POV. There is also a lingerie model werewolf with a ...more
K.J. Charles
I loved the first one in this series, Iron & Velvet, and I loved this. The voice is hilarious, the adventure/mystery is twisty and exciting, the supporting cast are amusing and engaging, the sexytimes are hot and I love the range of fantasy characters and UF tropes that the author plays with. I laugh out loud at this author's work more than I do at almost anyone else. A terrific series. Love it. Also, what a fabulous cover.
MostlyDelores
In short:
Love Kate. LOVE ELISE. Bizarrely fond of Patrick. Hate Corin. Vexed with Julian. Greatly enjoy the posh werewolves. Eve is on the bubble.

Mel
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing

If you haven't read Iron & Velvet, the first book in the series, you're looking in the wrong place, because you should start at the beginning. If you have read it and loved it, as I have, there's no need to read my review, just go buy the book and you'll have a blast with the sequel, too.

Still here? Ohhh, maybe you will just read anything related to Alexis, like me, because you're sad you've already read the last one of his books? *sniff* I'd be devastated if I didn't know there were new
Bob
Apr 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtqa, vampires
I'm honestly not sure what compelled me to request a digital ARC when I saw Shadows & Dreams show up on NetGalley. I hadn't read the first Kate Kane, Paranormal Investigator novel and knew nothing about the author, Alexis Hall, but something about the sarcastic tone of the cover blurb hooked me. I'm a sucker for a good vampire novel, and it's been a while since I dabbled in the sub-genre that Anita Blake made famous, so figured I'd give it a shot.

Damn, but I'm glad I did.

This was one hell of
Maya

“Good morning, Miss Kane,” she said. “Did you have a pleasant evening?”
“Got put on trial, got in a fight, got laid. I had a blast.”

I had a blast too. Reading this book.

I liked Shadows & Dreams more than Iron & Velvet. Don’t know if it was because there is more Elise or because I knew a lot of the characters from the first book, but the fact is, I couldn’t stop reading until I reached the last page.

Shadows & Dreams starts three months after the events in Iron & Velvet.

Allison
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love this book and Kate. So much fun, I laughed out loud all the time. This is like a summer blockbuster; full of explosions, one-liners, and characters that fit a role, but done with style and wit, as few blockbusters manage.

As usual, Alexis Hall gives us something completely different from his other books (other than the first in the series, obvs). If you are looking for a fast paced, fun, and sexy read this definitely fits the bill.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
How many ex-girlfriends does Kate have who are not on the best of terms with her? And how many strong females in this story want to tie Kate down and have their wicked way with her? This second book in the series is a decent read. The first one made a bigger favourable impression upon me. This one, there are a few repetitions which became old after a bit.

First, Kate is in trouble. She seems to always be in trouble. Her life is exhausting to read about because something is always going wrong.
Katie
4.5 Stars

Well kids, I’ve got another squicky paranormal under my belt.

This lacked the toilet humor of the first book in the series. I don’t know if I should be relieved or a little saddened—or ashamed of myself for wanting more of that in this book.

This was abundant in the Brit-com that I love so very much…so I *think* I can forgive the above.

The story was, again, a bit more heavily weighted toward vamped up magical mystery/suspense than toothy romance (pun intended). And, while I was kept
NaTaya Hastings
Apr 28, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: netgalley-books
Andi
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Second book in the Kate Kane Paranormal Investigator series, and you DO need to read book 1 (Iron & Velvet) first. But you'll enjoy book one and will eagerly snap up this book 2!! This was so good.

Kate Kane is a (mostly) human PI, with a fairy queen mum, dating a vampire sex-goddess, and a reluctant knight pledged to the witch-queen of London. Totally normal life... nothing could possibly go wrong. Except being tried by the vampire Council for the murder of one of their own, a missing
P. Industry
Love Bytes Reviews
Jun 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5 star review by Roberta.

I thought that the premise based on the blurb on this book was pretty funny. It sounded like it would be a great book to read. Well, I was kinda right.

Kate Kane is the main character in this book and she’s a PI who works mostly for the paranormal community. She does regular PI work, but she seems to get caught up mostly in the paranormal. Kate is half human and half fairy princess. She’s able to tap into her mother’s power when needed. That’s kinda cool. She’s dating
Yzabel Ginsberg
[I got an ARC of this novel through NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.]

I liked this one better than the first one. Partly because I already know the characters, but also, I think, because I found it less heavy on some of the things that had bothered me in the previous volume.

Characters, first. The reader will meet known ones again: Julian, Nimue, Ashriel, and get to know more about others (such as a Eve). Kate remains a fun point of view character, with a good dose of humour even in
Anne
Apr 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I liked Shadows & Dreams, but didn't love it possibly because I hadn't read Iron and Velvet, book 1 in the series. There is a nice prologue at the beginning to catch new readers up with what happened in book 1, but obviously there is a limit to how much information can be provided. As the blurb mentions, Kate gets arrested for a murder she committed in book 1 and an abundance of characters must have been introduced as well. I frequently complain about there not being enough interaction ...more
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy.

Kate Kane is the epitome of my mental image of a noir detective – smoking, drinking, and always quick with the sarcastic quip. That alone is one of the reasons this series is so enjoyable. However, a few personality traits of one main character can’t hold up an entire book, and while we’ve got an interesting plot and side characters, along with some great writing, there were some unfortunate flaws that took away from my enjoyment of SHADOWS &
Romancing the Book
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal, mystery, f-f
Reviewed by Amy W
Book provided by the publisher
Originally posted at Romancing the Book

It only took me a few pages to realize I was definitely in the wrong part of town. Maybe I received the first clue when there was a reference to the main character’s girlfriend being a vampire prince. Then I considered whether “Kate” could be a man’s name. By that time, I had picked up some context clues that pointed me in what was ultimately the right direction. Yes, the main character is a lesbian.

Kate Kane
Liz
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Having read book 1 (which I recommend you do), I hoped that the first book was not a one off and the follow up would be equally good. As soon as I started to read it, my concerns disappeared and I was in for another fast paced, action packed story which picks up after the ending of book one.

The style of the book may not be to everyone's taste, and so is like marmite. I happen to like marmite and I enjoy different styles. The main thing is a book entertains me and a good sign is that I did not
Fran (The Ramblebee)
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
2 stars.

Unfortunately, this book suffered from the same issues as the first one in the series, mostly caused by a lack of editing. The writing was, again, repetitive and would-be witty, and the plot was somewhat incoherent. Not even lesbians could save this for me, especially because I dislike Kate's girlfriend. I'd prefer every other love interest of hers over the one she's actually in a relationship with.

In my book, reading two installments is a good-faith effort to enjoy a series, and I'm
Lotta
This worked so much better than the first book for me. Probably because much of the basic information was dumped on me in book one and so I didn't feel as overwhelmed in this one. Also, I kind of like how it plays on Twilight with Kate's and Patrick's relationship (yes yes, I liked twilight back in the day, move on, nothing to see here), and how I recognise the whole supernatural PI genre (if there is such a thing?). All in all a quicker, funner read than the first book. Will read the sequel.
Alicia
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-be-read
Not worth it

I now know why it took me forever to read this, I will sat the first book was way better. I got so tire of Kate just saying here lies beloved daughter whether she was in danger or not.
Ziel Nielsen
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Let's see you get out of this mess, Kate.

A continuation of the previous installment that will confuse unless you have read the first. If you haven't go read it. Then get back to read this one, because part 2 rocks just as much as part 1.
I wish there were more!
k reads
Sep 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Fun, entertaining read. I enjoy the main character quite a bit.
Stephanie
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gay
Angel Hatfield
The Sorceress raised her hand to the sky. Kate raised her sword and put it through the Sorceress’s throat. Kate had been having these dreams since she swore fealty to Nimsue. But Nim had given her help when Kate needed it. There was a knock at her door “It’s eight oclock Miss Kane”. Elisa had been fostered on Kate by a crazy rat god for some vague information . She turned out to be an animated statue . She brews coffee and fixed Kate’s washing machine. They were just wrapping up a case than very ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Five Moons Rising (Five Moons Rising, #1)
  • Breaking Legacies
  • The One Who Eats Monsters (Wind and Shadow, #1)
  • Hunted (Auralight Codex: Dakota Shepherd #2)
  • The Better to Kiss You With (The Better to Kiss You With, #1)
  • Floodtide
  • Changing the Script
  • Psyche Moon (Psyche Moon, #1)
  • Phantoms of the Otherworld (In Spiritu Et Veritate, #2)
  • In Spirit and Truth (In Spiritu Et Veritate, #1)
  • Adept (Techromancy Scrolls #1)
  • Psyche Honor (Psyche Moon, #2)
  • Masquerade (Techromancy Scrolls #3)
  • Dragonoak: The Complete History of Kastelir
  • Soras (Techromancy Scrolls #2)
  • American Love Story (Dreamers, #3)
  • Wolf Heart
  • Far from Home (Belladonna Ink, #1)
Genrequeer writer of kissing books.

Kate Kane, Paranormal Investigator (3 books)
  • Iron & Velvet (Kate Kane, Paranormal Investigator, #1)
  • Fire & Water (Kate Kane, Paranormal Investigator #3)
“Shit. This whole clusterfuck just got way clusterier and fuckier.” 22 likes
“Nim handed me a mug of tea. I took a sip and it was just how I like it, strong and sweet. If you added psychotic and emotionally unavailable to that, it would also cover my taste in women.” 18 likes