Start by marking “Shadows & Dreams (Kate Kane, Paranormal Investigator, #2)” as Want to Read:
Shadows & Dreams (Kate Kane, Paranormal Investigator, #2)

Read Excerpt

Shadows & Dreams

(Kate Kane, Paranormal Investigator #2)

Previously published; newly revised by author

I like my women like I like my whiskey: liable to kill me.

The two parts of being a paranormal private investigator I could really do without are being forced to eat bananas by an animated statue with a potassium fixation, and being put on trial for murder by a self-appointed council of vampire oligarchs.

To be fair, I did kind of
ebook, 1st edition, 362 pages
Published June 16th 2014 by Riptide Publishing (first published June 14th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Shadows & Dreams, please sign up.
jassira raxlly I hope so! It's listed as "Fire and Water" in the end of the first two books.
I second the question, dear author!…more
I hope so! It's listed as "Fire and Water" in the end of the first two books.
I second the question, dear author!(less)

Start your review of Shadows & Dreams (Kate Kane, Paranormal Investigator, #2)
Lex Kent
4.50 Stars. I just love this series. This is book two in the Kate Kane, Paranormal Investigator series. Those of you who read my reviews will notice I don’t do rereads often, there are just so many book so little time. This book I have actually read 3 times so I think that shows just how much I love this series. Paranormal/urban fantasy lesfic books are my absolutely favorite genre to read and this series fits what I love perfectly. The reason I am reading this series again now is that it is bei ...more
Julio Genao
Mar 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved
my spirit was lifeless, and then alexis hall gave me liiiiiiiife.

description

*makes expansive i-totally-haz-life-now-u-gaiz gesture*

what a ride.

again.

i'm in love with a lesbian alcoholic and a marble automaton with excellent deep-oral skills and inexhaustible stamina.

also the witchy earth-mother type in the comfy jeans.

also the vampire prince with the velvet and the epaulets and the big hats.

also the OMFG I HAVE TO GO READ IT AGAIN BRB
Alexis
She's back! Snarkier, sexier and always in trouble.

The plot. Kate. Fucking. Kane. If you thought she couldn't get herself into more trouble than in book one, think again. While she's on trial for the murder of an ancient vampire, an army of newly turned vamps is destroying London, a five thousand year old enemy returns, the woman who killed her partner is back, her ex girlfriend puts Batman to shame and her dreams are literally trying to kill her. And it's only Monday.

The characters. Once again
K.J. Charles
I loved the first one in this series, Iron & Velvet, and I loved this. The voice is hilarious, the adventure/mystery is twisty and exciting, the supporting cast are amusing and engaging, the sexytimes are hot and I love the range of fantasy characters and UF tropes that the author plays with. I laugh out loud at this author's work more than I do at almost anyone else. A terrific series. Love it. Also, what a fabulous cover. ...more
Jude in the Stars
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Iron & Velvet, the first Kate Kane book, had taken me by surprise, in the best way. I’d really enjoyed the gothic vampire / film noir atmosphere, and the cynical but benevolent Kate. I therefore had great expectations for the next one, Shadows & Dreams. I was not disappointed.

Kate is on trial for the murder of one of the London Vampire Princes (read the first book). As she waits for the Council to decide whether her killing him was indeed murder, Kate, with the help of her assistant Elise, a liv
Lex Kent
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: f-f-paranormal
4 1/2 Stars. This is a re-read for me. I wanted to see how these books held up, and if I still loved them as much as I remembered. The answer is yes, though book 1 is a bit better than this one. This is still a great paranormal adventure. As sarcastic an ornery Kate can be, you can't help but love her.
I really wish Alexis Hall would write more of these. If you are interested read book 1 first.
Wart Hill
You can read this and other reviews at Things I Find While Shelving

[I received a free ARC via NetGalley. This fact has no bearing on my review]

That. Was. AWESOME.

Seriously, that was so. So good.

Kate Kane is a Private Investigator in London. But not the London you're used to. Her girlfriend is a vampire, one of her ex girlfriends is the Witch Queen of London, there are werewolves and fae and all kinds of supernatural beings running around and generally making Kate's life difficult.

I loved everyth
Iben
There are so many things I could mention to point out why this book hits me right in my queer little gal's heart. Like how all plot driving characters are female or gender diverse. It's erotic, but not written like erotica - and I'm not about putting one above the other, because I love good erotica - but it suits the mood of this book so well. And there's the almost flawless use up to the point of parody of the traditional noir first person POV. There is also a lingerie model werewolf with a har ...more
MostlyDelores
In short:
Love Kate. LOVE ELISE. Bizarrely fond of Patrick. Hate Corin. Vexed with Julian. Greatly enjoy the posh werewolves. Eve is on the bubble.

Mel
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing

If you haven't read Iron & Velvet, the first book in the series, you're looking in the wrong place, because you should start at the beginning. If you have read it and loved it, as I have, there's no need to read my review, just go buy the book and you'll have a blast with the sequel, too.

Still here? Ohhh, maybe you will just read anything related to Alexis, like me, because you're sad you've already read the last one of his books? *sniff* I'd be devastated if I didn't know there were new ones co
Bob/Sally
Apr 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtqa, vampires
I'm honestly not sure what compelled me to request a digital ARC when I saw Shadows & Dreams show up on NetGalley. I hadn't read the first Kate Kane, Paranormal Investigator novel and knew nothing about the author, Alexis Hall, but something about the sarcastic tone of the cover blurb hooked me. I'm a sucker for a good vampire novel, and it's been a while since I dabbled in the sub-genre that Anita Blake made famous, so figured I'd give it a shot.

Damn, but I'm glad I did.

This was one hell of a f
Maya

“Good morning, Miss Kane,” she said. “Did you have a pleasant evening?”
“Got put on trial, got in a fight, got laid. I had a blast.”

I had a blast too. Reading this book.

I liked Shadows & Dreams more than Iron & Velvet. Don’t know if it was because there is more Elise or because I knew a lot of the characters from the first book, but the fact is, I couldn’t stop reading until I reached the last page.

Shadows & Dreams starts three months after the events in Iron & Velvet.

It’s a new advent
Dec 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, ajh
I ship Ashriel and Elise. The Twilight allusions give me great joy. So does the girl power.

"But I'm just an ordinary girl. Patrick is the only special thing that's ever happened to me."

"There's no such thing as an ordinary girl."
Allison
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love this book and Kate. So much fun, I laughed out loud all the time. This is like a summer blockbuster; full of explosions, one-liners, and characters that fit a role, but done with style and wit, as few blockbusters manage.

As usual, Alexis Hall gives us something completely different from his other books (other than the first in the series, obvs). If you are looking for a fast paced, fun, and sexy read this definitely fits the bill.
Jrooknroll
Nov 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, fantasy
Alexis Hall just has a gift and at this point he is an auto-buy because I will read whatever he wants to write. Some of what makes his writing magical is how his characters feel so feel because they have insecurities and flaws, as well as talents. He allows them to just be, and doesn't try to 'fix' them.

In the case of Kate, she is trying hard to be a good person, but she also freely admits that she can be a bit of a jerk. So while i wouldn't want to date her, being inside her head while reading
Jo
Sep 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
I laughed so many times reading this... The gentle making fun of Twilight is just amusing. A sentence here, a mention there... Makes the book entertaining.
The main character and narration style reminds me a lot of First Grave on the Right. And it turns out I enjoy the style and I want more.
Hannah Hearts Romance
I would say that this book is not as tightly plotted as the first one, even as wild as the plot of the first book is. But you just can’t beat Kate Kane for sheer entertainment. She takes you on such a fun ride. Buckle up and go with it, you won’t be disappointed.
BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
How many ex-girlfriends does Kate have who are not on the best of terms with her? And how many strong females in this story want to tie Kate down and have their wicked way with her? This second book in the series is a decent read. The first one made a bigger favourable impression upon me. This one, there are a few repetitions which became old after a bit.

First, Kate is in trouble. She seems to always be in trouble. Her life is exhausting to read about because something is always going wrong. She
Katie
4.5 Stars

Well kids, I’ve got another squicky paranormal under my belt.

This lacked the toilet humor of the first book in the series. I don’t know if I should be relieved or a little saddened—or ashamed of myself for wanting more of that in this book.

This was abundant in the Brit-com that I love so very much…so I *think* I can forgive the above.

The story was, again, a bit more heavily weighted toward vamped up magical mystery/suspense than toothy romance (pun intended). And, while I was kept guess
NaTaya Hastings
Apr 28, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: netgalley-books
Leigh Kramer
As with the first book in this series, this was quite the wild ride! It is pretty much nothing but Kate getting in and out of one near-death experience after another and this could make for a dizzying reading experience. What saved it from feeling over the top—even though it is over the top when I stop to think about it—is the tone and sense of humor. Kate’s dry wit and sensibility made this a fun experience, even if I wish she’d take a moment to think before rushing toward certain doom. I loved ...more
Victoria (Eve's Alexandria)
Even more of a wild ride than book 1, which is saying something - Kate nearly gets killed 10 times, has to navigate etiquette with at least half a dozen ex-girlfriends, almost gets executed for vampire murder and eats a lot of bananas (not a euphemism). She also finds time to binge watch Downton Abbey, because it is 2014.

It’s absolutely bonkers and doesn’t let up the whole time, meaning that it sometimes feels like we’re just dashing from one disaster or big reveal to another. But the voice is
Jessica Nguyen
May 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ff-5-stars
Slightly better than 1st book. This is more about fighting than about romantic stories while I wish the opposite. Kate again is still an endearing mess but I like how the author built her great characters of loyalty, honesty, integrity, and compassion persuasively through difficult circumstances. Finally, the love making scenes and the dynamics between Kate and her exes, her current girlfriend are things that I enjoyed most.
XR
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Kate Kane & Co. just got better the second time around! This was bloody good, and Kate’s hilarious... I loved it.
P. Industry
Love Bytes Reviews
Jun 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5 star review by Roberta.

I thought that the premise based on the blurb on this book was pretty funny. It sounded like it would be a great book to read. Well, I was kinda right.

Kate Kane is the main character in this book and she’s a PI who works mostly for the paranormal community. She does regular PI work, but she seems to get caught up mostly in the paranormal. Kate is half human and half fairy princess. She’s able to tap into her mother’s power when needed. That’s kinda cool. She’s dating
Balthazaar
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a rollercoaster of a ride, whip smart, fat paced and full of action. In fairness, I caught about half of what was going on, there’s so much action and characters and history. But it’s a really fun, furious read. I totally recommend it.
Yzabel Ginsberg
[I got an ARC of this novel through NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.]

I liked this one better than the first one. Partly because I already know the characters, but also, I think, because I found it less heavy on some of the things that had bothered me in the previous volume.

Characters, first. The reader will meet known ones again: Julian, Nimue, Ashriel, and get to know more about others (such as a Eve). Kate remains a fun point of view character, with a good dose of humour even in di
Anne
Apr 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I liked Shadows & Dreams, but didn't love it possibly because I hadn't read Iron and Velvet, book 1 in the series. There is a nice prologue at the beginning to catch new readers up with what happened in book 1, but obviously there is a limit to how much information can be provided. As the blurb mentions, Kate gets arrested for a murder she committed in book 1 and an abundance of characters must have been introduced as well. I frequently complain about there not being enough interaction between t ...more
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy.

Kate Kane is the epitome of my mental image of a noir detective – smoking, drinking, and always quick with the sarcastic quip. That alone is one of the reasons this series is so enjoyable. However, a few personality traits of one main character can’t hold up an entire book, and while we’ve got an interesting plot and side characters, along with some great writing, there were some unfortunate flaws that took away from my enjoyment of SHADOWS & DREAMS.

Th
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Treasured
  • Witching Moon
  • Nottingham: The True Story of Robyn Hood
  • Bloody Claws (Kassandra Lyall, Preternatural Investigator, #3)
  • Good Enough to Eat (The Vampire Diet, #1)
  • The Sugared Game (The Will Darling Adventures #2)
  • Better Off Red (Vampire Sorority Sisters, #1)
  • Raven Mask (Kassandra Lyall Preternatural Investigator, #2)
  • The Wolf's Consort
  • Witch Wolf (Kassandra Lyall Preternatural Investigator, #1)
  • The Midnight Hunt (Midnight Hunters, #1)
  • Just My Type
  • True Nature (Shape-Shifter, #2)
  • The Queen of Rhodia (Tales of Inthya #3)
  • Reaping the Benefits
  • Daughter of the Sun (Tales of Inthya, #2)
  • Spindrift
  • Hotel Queens
Genrequeer writer of kissing books.

I use Goodreads incredibly sporadically, which means I review when I remember. If at all.

Kate Kane, Paranormal Investigator (4 books)
  • Iron & Velvet (Kate Kane, Paranormal Investigator, #1)
  • Fire & Water (Kate Kane, Paranormal Investigator #3)
  • Smoke & Ashes (Kate Kane, Paranormal Investigator #4)