Start by marking “It Is What It Is: The Autobiography” as Want to Read:
It Is What It Is: The Autobiography

It Is What It Is: The Autobiography

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  158 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
From his quiet beginnings in rural Scotland to his multi-millionaire lifestyle in Monte Carlo, where he owns one of the most luxurious hotels in the principality, David Coulthard's life story is an extraordinary one. He got his breakthrough into Formula One in the tragic circumstances of Ayrton Senna's death in 1994, and quickly established himself as one of the best drive ...more
Published August 9th 2007 by Orion Publishing

To ask other readers questions about It Is What It Is, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It Is What It Is

Neil Denham
Sep 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Well what a strange man David Coulthard is. Full of contradictions, strange anecdotes and OCD tendencies.

What is does do in this book is give a good idea of what sort of person you have to be to be an F1 driver, precise, focused, single minded, full of self belief.

He really does believe that he is one of the greatest drivers to ever have raced, and he is happy to cherry pick statistics to back up his point.

This is not to say he isn't a likable character though, he is very human, he has flaws tha
Giles Knight
Aug 26, 2014 rated it did not like it
I must say, this was a bit of a yawn fest..... The more I read, the more I didn't want to go for a drink with the man.

As autobiography's go, this book was extremely self congratulating and arrogant and at times a way to vent at other drivers he did not like, a la Mansell, Montoya etc.

The book was also not very insightful, comparing it to "Crashed & Byrned" (Tommy Byrne), "Flat Out, Flat Broke" (Perry McCarthy) and "My Story" (Alex Zanardi) nor eloquently wrote.

I enjoyed the humorous parts, o
Ibrar Malik
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Useful research for my upcoming book www.1994f1.com

A good insight into his life as a Formula 1 driver, especially the relationship between David, Mika Hakkinen and team boss Ron Dennis. Its a bit short on his Williams days which was what I was most interested in for my upcoming book. But a must read for fans of Formula 1 looking to learn about the behind the scenes part of the sport.
Jonesy_laaa
When this autobiography was published in 2007, It’s odd that Coulthard has chosen this time in his career to put an autobiography about. Many times in the past few years he has fobbed off journalists asking the same old questions about when he will retire, always insisting that he intends to keep racing for much longer.

So why put out an autobiography when he did? I can’t answer that question. The autobiography covers the whole Coulthard story is here, with plenty of interesting background story
Bradley
Oct 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
David Coulthard's autobiography is as its title proclaims: 'It is what it is'. I wasn't much of a fan of his back in the day, did like him a bit in the early days but it became clear in his 1999 season he didn't have the capacity to be a World Championship driver.... even though McLaren kept him for 9 years! This book provides an interesting insight into what makes DC tick, including some surprising personality traits. There are a lot of things here that I didn't know about him, the sort of pres ...more
Kristina Brown
You get a feel that this biography was narrated as it almost sounds like David is remembering points as it goes along. Certainly he repeats little bits and gets sidetracked from his main point. Overall it doesn't seem to be as well organised as you'd expect from him and things like the 2007 spygate should have been explained for new F1 fans.
There are also moments when it sounds as though he's answering a question. But none of this detracts from the interesting life he has lead or his ability to
Victoria
Jun 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
The title has to be the most accurate title I have ever seen. The book starts about his family life before he was born than moves on to his birth, his childhood, his home life, his start in racing, how he got into F1, he experience while in F1, his personal life while he is a F1 driver and ends around 2008. He gives insight on HIS own experience and opinions, cracks a few jokes and tells it as it is. In the end, it is what it is.
Caroline
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this autobiography and found it to be very well written and candid. Some of his own introspection was a little repetitive. I would love an update post 2008. I found myself giggling out loud over some anecdotes such as losing his virginity and the tale involving a Wallace and Gromit mug. All in all an entertaining and easy read for anyone interested in Formula 1.
Ben Harvey Sporle
Jan 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A brilliant insight into the life of a Formula 1 driver, especially the relationship between David, Mika Hakkinen and team boss Ron Dennis. Always felt that given the opportunity DC would have had an opportunity to go for the Championship, but his record is still very impressive. A must read for fans of Formula 1 looking to learn about the behind the scenes part of the sport.
Stephen Kearns
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read this book and I loved it!he talks a lot about what kind of person makes it to be a formula 1 driver and he was certainly driven! Very funny and very honest!he lives the lavish life style but yet he's humble and hasn't forgotten where he comes from!a great read for any f1 fan!ive tried my best to do it justice but I suggest you read it for yourselves
Stella
Aug 09, 2011 added it
Hi Guys! Read the book... its really really good! (and if you care, some hunky DC pics as bonus!). Ignore the bit about how much he loves his new girlfriend - it's all lies!!!.. just kidding, it's an excellent and well written book that I was totally hooked on! S xx
Susan Maclean
Dec 15, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in Formula 1
This was an OK book. It was interesting to learn more about him and read what he had to say about others in the paddock. Good for a long journey.
John Hancock
Sep 28, 2014 rated it did not like it
I thought this was really not a good book. I rarely throw books away when I have finished them, but this one broke my rule.
Patty J.
Sep 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Must read for any self-respecting Formula 1 fan... whether you're a fan of DC or not, you should read this. A funny and insightful look inside the mind of a Formula 1 driver.
Jenna
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. A great look into the world of Formula1
DABgp
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
Dire, very disappointing. The ghost writer seems to have too much say in the content perhaps. Probably the worst racing driver biography I have read.
Stuart

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
  • Restless: Because You Were Made for More
    $4.99 $1.49
    $4.99 $1.99
  • I Suck at Girls
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Cesar's Way: The Natural, Everyday Guide to Understanding and Correcting Common Dog Problems
    $11.99 $3.99