Start by marking “You Are Dying, and Your World Is a Lie” as Want to Read:
You Are Dying, and Your World Is a Lie

You Are Dying, and Your World Is a Lie

(Epic Series)

What is pain? What is discomfort? Is it something terrible, something to be avoided... or is it the very thing that lets us know that we are alive?

The modern world has sold us on a lie. The lie says that to live is to be comfortable. To live is to be free of struggle. The lie says that the ultimate existence would be to never want for anything, to never be pushed so far th
Published January 14th 2014 by Amazon Digital Services (first published March 6th 2012)

Sandeep Ellawala
Jan 10, 2016 rated it liked it
This is the second book of the author from his Epic Series that I am reading and I must say that I am impressed. His first book told me how important was the limited time we have in our lives. He also taught me that the Universe does not give a flying fuck about me or my nonsense. This time he is trying to tell me that it is fear that stops us from being awesome and living the epic life we could have lived.

The first book elevated my understanding of life, and now I am seeing it from a different
Sid
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"As our lives become less and
less genuine, we require bigger and bigger thrills to scare us, for
just a moment, into feeling human again."
Good concept introduced very well.
Kate M. Colby
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A short kick-in-the-butt. The main messages?

A) The modern world has deprived us (the first-world people privileged enough to read this booklet) of the pain of survival (starvation, being eaten by tigers, etc.), so we make things that aren't life-threatening (public speaking, writing a book, etc.) seem terrifying and painful.

B) A state of comfort is not ideal. No risks, no rewards.

C) We're all going to die one day. So you might as well live as fully and "painfully" as you can.
Eric
Aug 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: philosophy
Got a little boo-boo? Paper cut? Feel like the world is against you and nothing is going your way? Get over it! Your condition is to some degree a matter of perception. This approach of "This is as good as it gets" does scream Panglossian absurdity though. In Voltaire's "Candide", Pangloss is the foil, professing the beauty of his life whilst wasting away from syphilis and a host of other ailments. So I suppose that I will just go "tend to my garden".
RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) Griffin (alwaysdaddyprincess)
Awesome!

4 stars.

This is a very short book. It is raw. There is no sugar coating.

Things I did not like:
-I disagree what the author says about horror movies. Many of the new horror movies that are suppose to be scary are not. However, that also depends on certain factors.
-I have some mix feelings on the author comments about pain. However, I have PTSD and dealing with grief. My PTSD is not because of my grief. It about other things. Life can be worst.

Regardless of the things I did not like, I fe
Michelle B
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned-digital
Hm. Well that was a disappointment after how much I liked the first one. I really don't like how he was minimizing mental health concerns like anxiety by saying "we" invented it as a substitute for "real" fears that are no longer relevant.
Will Ransohoff
Nov 26, 2016 marked it as to-read
Well, this looks promising for my reading challenge.
Omkar Abnave
Jan 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy
"To escape the matrix, first you gotta see the matrix"

The thing i liked about this book is authors opinions about 'matrix'.
Now when i saw that series long ago i felt the same but couldn't express that with words.
and it feels good to see someone doing it and sharing it with the word.
"You are doing it right man"

Definitely going for his next book.
Hollie
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh I loved this one too.

It's so simple. As someone who hates to waste time on things I don't value it spoke to my soul.
Raven
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
"Edgework"

~*~*~*Don't let fear of falling keep you from flying*~*~*~
Alyssia
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
welll....
+1 point for mentioning Trent Reznor.
-3 points for acting like mental illness is not a "serious" pain/threat/etc. That basically we've invented anxiety because we're not fighting wild beasties for survival. ...In the strictest sense, it might be true, but I think the way Truant portrays it just perpetuates stigma and judgement. While I might agree with a base principle of taking risks and attempting to eke something worthwhile out of life while you have it, this pseudo-philosophy is jus
Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum
You Are Dying, and Your World Is a Lie is the follow-up to The Universe Doesn't Give a Flying Fuck About You by Johnny B Truant.

Truant has a slap-in-the-face style of writing that is aimed at shocking and motivating his readers, and if you haven't come across this kind of style before, it could give you the kick in the pants you need.

This short e-book is FREE on Amazon Kindle, which is great! But if I'm honest, it doesn't have that much to add from the first book.
Jana Eichhorn
Oct 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Not as world-shaking as Truant's first book. The message here is similar, but the logic is flawed. The author urges readers to deliberately do things that could cause them physical or emotional pain, because you can't know pleasure without knowing pain. While I agree with that sentiment, sometimes you have to remember that pain is your body's way of telling you that something is wrong.
Daniel   Abernathy
Dec 17, 2016 rated it did not like it
I simply can't get into what this author is preaching. I know that behind the vulgarity there is suppose to be a positive message, a "live each moment like it's your last" pseudo-philosophy, but I could probably get more enlightenment from a stoned friend than what Johnny Truant provides, and with half the cursing.
Toreka Pulou
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Truth

Love the bluntness from this author. A lot of people should read this series because its is short and eye opening.
Marci
Feb 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
No new insight. It was like combing the phrase "YOLO" with the song "Pain" by Three Days Grace.
Lise
Jun 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook
Another in the series of basic truths clarified for the middle or upper class 20 something cis-het white guy who has never considered these things before.

Basically, the essay (it's a very short book) sets out the truth that we evolved a fear response to deal with immediate crises, and we continue to respond to fear in a way which is no longer appropriate given the reality of day to day existence. This is a useful thought.

The idea that feeling negative emotions somehow 'unlocks' the capacity to f
Erica
Jan 02, 2018 rated it liked it
When a 30 something discovers philosophy for first time:

A 10 page self help article (read: blog post) in response to “the Universe Doesn’t Give a Flying Fuck About You,” which Truant wrote several months prior.
This is the one that was promoted to me via Goodreads, and since each one is so short (and free), I gave them both a try.

It reads as if Truant just discovered philosophy for the first time, and is writing through their existential crisis. It’s ok. Profound only if one never thought about
Bella
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This guy is coming closer to the point

When death knocks out door, that is where we realise where our priority lies. The job, money, car, house etc doesn't matter. What matters how much quality time you had with your dear ones. For all material glory we have been burning our so called Life. But is it worth that much when our end is near... I like John's writing style, it really provoke your thoughts. The books leads us to more questions than the answers. We have to find answers for it is our life
Manar Awad
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
“We’ll never create a utopia, because it’s impossible to define good without having bad to compare it to. There is no pleasure without pain. There is no Heaven without Hell.”
I got an iBook copy for this. It can be a fun read for some. For me it didn't up add anything extra, almost a repeated copy of the first post on the series. However, felt like it's some-kind of overrated.

Excerpt From: Johnny B. Truant. “You Are Dying, and your World is a Lie.” iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyr
Brian Beatty
Aug 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Definitely better than the first essay. In general, something I think most should already know, but a good reminder in the context of what we allow ourselves to get comfortable with. More importantly, I think this could help some to identify why they crave some things that they think aren't healthy choices, especially in the media. It is absurd how easy life is for many upper middle class Americans, and perhaps it would do some good to get them to consider this and also experience what life is l ...more
Sarah Spelbring
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
This is a very short, very realistic view of the world. It brings us all back to Earth and reality. You aren't dying because your laptop died (mine is slowly working it's way there), you aren't dying because there's no almond milk in the fridge and you have to go shopping now. It's not painful to watch a new Netflix drama.

We've lost the meaning of real pain, so we have to make it up.

This ebook is basically a reality check for anyone who needs it.
Maria Miaoulis
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Again, another short read, but one that reinforces the theme - time running out. Think about what you accomplish during the day. Are you living meaningfully? Or are you just keeping busy to make it seem like you are living meaningfully?

Life is finite. The things that are absolutely urgent today will definitely NOT matter when you're on your deathbed. You will regret wasting time, be it with the wrong person or doing something that you hate. So allocate your time wisely.
Lacy
Jun 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
A little more toned down, less accusing than The Universe Doesn't Give a Flying Fuck About You but also less substance, I thought.

Both are short reads. And free on Amazon/Kindle. I think there are more but I'm stopping with these for now.
Nicole Neubarth
Feb 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Short, but relatively poignant

“You are dying, and your world is a lie” was an interesting, albeit quick read. It makes some relatively good points, summed up into living in the moment. Truant essentially says, that until you can realize you’re dying, you’ll never live. There were a couple excellent points, but some of it came across as ramblings.
Maybe that was the point?
Manan Younas
Aug 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Good article

Good stuff , however , it fails to answer that if futility of everything is so obvious, then why strive at the first place ? Is comfort of not doing things discomforting?

John
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
No fluff but all grit

I hate over usage of words to try and make a point. Don't have to worry about that here. What is our greatest commodity? Really is only one thing. Time. When gone its gone. You can't earn or make more of it. This little book makes you think.
Camaro805
Nov 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Real

It's okay, but I wish there was more to the book. I understand the book, but it's kind of blah.
Ken
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fast read, engagingly written. Preaching to the choir to some extent. Nothing wrong with a reminder of your place in the cosmos every once in a while.
Barry Lee
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Poorly written. Not very insightful. Not really philosophy.
  • The Good Energy Book: Creating Harmony and Balance for Yourself and Your Home
  • Your God Is Too Small: 50 Essays On Life, Love & Liberty Without Religion
  • 8 to Great: The Powerful Process for Positive Change
  • Get A Life! 8 Steps to Create Your Own Life List
  • Time Is Money: A Simple System To Cure Procrastination Without Willpower, Become More Productive, Find Your Focus & Get More Done In Less Time! (Personal ... Productivity & Get Stuff Done Book 3)
  • Be your own best life coach (52 Brilliant Ideas)
  • Universal Laws: 18 Powerful Laws & The Secret Behind Manifesting Your Desires (Finding Balance)
  • Life Hacks
  • Death and Life of Philosophy
  • Yesterday's Gone: Episode 3 (Yesterday's Gone, #3)
  • 15 Sure Signs That You Are On The Right Path
  • Why You're Stuck: Your Guide To Finding Freedom From Any Of Life's Challenges
  • Getting Unstuck: Moving Beyond What's Holding You Back
  • The Happy Tips Book
  • That Is That: Essays About True Nature
  • Living in the Now: How to Live as the Spiritual Being That You Are
  • Manual For Living: Reality
  • WTF to OMG: The Frazzled Female's Guide to Creating a Life You Love
Johnny B. Truant is an author, blogger, and podcaster who, like the Ramones, was long denied induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame despite having a large cult following. He makes his online home at JohnnyBTruant.com and is the author of the Unicorn Western series, the Fat Vampire series, The Bialy Pimps, and a handful of other properties and growing every week.

You can connect with Johnny o

Epic Series (4 books)
  • How to Live Forever
  • The Universe Doesn't Give a Flying Fuck About You
  • Disobey
“But if you think your deadline is real, go out in the woods and get a grizzly bear to chase you. Which of your pressing concerns seems more real now?” 1 likes
“as our lives become less and less genuine, we require bigger and bigger thrills to scare us, for just a moment, into feeling human again.” 1 likes