Start by marking “The Wronged Sons” as Want to Read:
The Wronged Sons

The Wronged Sons

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  19,827 ratings  ·  1,262 reviews
What would you do if the person you loved suddenly vanished into thin air?

Catherine’s cosy life as a housewife and mum-of-three is quickly thrown into disarray when husband Simon disappears without explanation. She is convinced he hasn’t left by choice as confusion and spiraling debts threaten to tear her family apart.

Meanwhile Simon has begun a carefree new life travell
Published July 26th 2014 by John Marrs (first published September 5th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Wronged Sons, please sign up.
l Green Wow! yes, I noticed that one. I'm not usually pedantic about grammar, but I was surprised it escaped in the editing process. Still, the plot holes…moreWow! yes, I noticed that one. I'm not usually pedantic about grammar, but I was surprised it escaped in the editing process. Still, the plot holes were more of a problem(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Lael Braday About the baby's death.
Me Before You by Jojo MoyesThe Girl on the Train by Paula HawkinsThe Help by Kathryn StockettInto the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth HaynesThe Book Thief by Markus Zusak
TBC favourite books
571 books — 463 voters
Native Son by Richard WrightSons and Lovers by D.H. LawrenceDarth Vader and Son by Jeffrey BrownThe Son of Neptune by Rick RiordanFathers and Sons by Ivan Turgenev
Sons
284 books — 29 voters

More lists with this book...

·  19,827 ratings  ·  1,262 reviews

Meredith
2.5 Stars

Having read glowing reviews from some of my GR friends, I wanted to love When You Disappeared. But of course, I have to be the person who didn’t love this book!

Married for 10 years with three children, it might seem like Catherine and Simon have the perfect marriage. But when Simon disappears without a trace, Catherine comes to learn that she never really knew the man she married. Flash forward 25 years, Simon has returned determined to punish Catherine for her wrongs. The two share wi
Kaceey
A Traveling Sister read with Brenda and Lindsay!

3.5*

Catherine wakes up in the morning oblivious that her world is about to change forever. Her husband is gone! And she is frantic! He never showed up to work…maybe lying injured or dead in a ditch somewhere. The hours turn into days and eventually fall away into years. Simon has never been heard from again…until now!

We’re also given a view into Simon’s world during his disappearance. What would have motivated him to leave his family? What is the
Lindsay - Traveling Sister
3 stars. This novel had such potential with a highly enticing premise, however, the extreme lack of believability meant the story fell flat for me.

I enjoyed the way the story unfolded. The novel was told through Catherine and Simon’s perspectives ranging from 28 years ago to a present-day meeting. The author, John Marrs, does a great job revealing pieces of the story in a suspenseful and intriguing way, all the while making me curious to see how the story would play out. Unfortunately, many of
Brenda - Host of Traveling Sisters & Friends
Traveling Sisters NetGalley Sister Review by Brenda with Lindsay and Kaceey’s thoughts.

When You Disappeared started off with seven of us for a Traveling Sister Group read, and then they started to disappear with three sisters dropping out and the thread started to read like a thriller itself. Norma with a full weekend ahead had to drop out as well, leaving Kaceey, Lindsay and me as the last standing Sisters for this read

When You Disappeared is a family drama thriller that is heavy on the drama
Kendall
Aug 10, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF.... 50 percent in and just can't anymore.

Boring boring boring.... and plot is just unbelievable and stupid. No thanks 👋🏻.

I did win this in a goodreads giveaway which I was happy about but I Just couldn't finish this book :(. Sorry!!
Pauline
Sep 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I found this book very hard to read as the characters were very unlikeable. I did feel sorry for Catherine who was abandoned by her husband. She did not know what happened to him and she was left struggling to look after her three children. Her husband Simon was a very selfish man, not caring about his wife and children and taking advantage of everyone. I would like to thank NetGalley and the publisher for my e-book in exchange for a honest review.
Mackenzie - PhDiva Books
This is a really lovely book by John Marrs, and I have to admit, it was difficult to put down. I saw many reviews and it does seem this is a polarizing book. Some hated it, some loved it, and most hate-loved it. Having read it, I can understand these opinions. I will say that even those who seemed to dislike the book the most, admitted that it really made them feel something, and that is a marker of a great book in my opinion. This is a book I won't soon forget.

I would not characterize this book
Linda Strong
Catherine wakes up one morning to find her husband gone. She checks his shoes .. no, his running shoes are right where they always are. His car is still there, his keys are not missing. His wallet is on the dresser. Where is he and what has happened to him?

Twenty Five years later Simon appears on her doorstep. He has all the answers, and he knows it's time that Catherine had them, too.

But neither of them know the whole truth!

The story line is perfect. When Simon shows up, he confesses to all he
Stacey
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 I've been told that the secret to a lasting relationship is communication. So it's the same with Catherine and Simon.

Alternating from the perspective of Catherine and Simon 25 years ago to present. Simon is the perfect father and husband. One day he doesn't come home. The police are called, the community rallies up search parties with no luck. Family and friends start to suspect Catherine has something to do with it. Over time he's presumed dead and Catherine and their 3 children try to move
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
At first I was not going to rate this because I felt I would not be able to separate my feelings for the characters from the overall story, then I decided to sod all and rate.

Have you ever read a book where you hated the MC, absolutely hated. I hated Simon, I hope he is in the hottest place in hell.

Before I get into the why of my hatred let me talk about the book. I didn't like the back and forth time jumps to be honest, I almost gave up. I hated being yanked out of the story. Secondly, it was s
Lisa-Books Smiles
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sue
WHEN YOU DISAPPEARED is a family drama debut novel by John Marrs.

Catherine wakes up alone one morning, to find she and her three children had been abandoned by her husband, Simon. He had gone for a run before work, but never makes it to the office. Man Missing in Action!

But Why would Simon do this to his family? What a selfish man. He knows the truth - about why he left and what he's done. He knows things about his marriage that it would kill Catherine to find out. Her memories are all based on
Ingstje
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading both of his novels I can say that I’m officially addicted! He’s got what it takes to completely transport me to another country and another lifetime and he really let the characters come alive so much in this novel that they crept under my skin. When You Disappeared is a deeply character-driven family drama and I was really invested in the characters (or one of them at least). This is a novel that’s all about the journey and isn’t fast-paced in that way but more of a slow unfolding ...more
Deborah
Jan 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I started this book last night and it's now just after 2am, that's how addictive it is I just couldn't put it down. This is I believe the first book by this author which is incredible, what a first book!
In general I prefer my books lighter than this with a male character that I actually like but wow you should really give this book a chance, I only intended to read the first couple of pages to see if it's a book I'd want to read in the future and that was it I was hooked, couldn't put it down.
In
Rachel
Mar 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 Stars

While some aspects of this Brit-Lit Thriller were good and extremely captivation, others were a bit far-fetched.

SUMMARY
Catherine and Simeon have known each other since they were eleven years old, have been a couple longer than most people can remember and are now married with three children. Although their family recently suffered a devastating loss, their marriage seems incredibly solid. Just when they seem to be healing from their loss and the whole family is beginning to move forwar
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've written this review for Really Into This

Check out all of our reviews at https://reallyintothis.com
Happy Reading, friends!

WHEN YOU DISAPPEARED BY JOHN MARRS BOOK REVIEW

When You Disappeared is my first John Marrs book & it certainly won’t be my last. I love any book with a George Michael reference.

DO YOU EVER THINK HE JUST WON’T COME BACK?

Years ago, my husband was a stay at home dad. He took care of both kids, cleaned, did the laundry, ran errands & much more. He was & is the back
Sara
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For me, this wasn't so much a thriller but I still thoroughly enjoyed it. I was hooked right from the start and needed answers. A great page turner. This is one that has sat unread on my Kindle for a while and I'm so glad I finally decided to start it.
Tracy Fenton
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a brilliant debut novel. I literally could not put it down and have recommended it to everyone I know! So many twists....a gripping book. Can't wait for the author to write another book.
B.E.L.L.A.Mc
I gave it 2* for the writing and plot; that's it.

This story was initially entertaining, if not far fetched, but not riveting. I admit to turning over some pages towards the end out of boredom; it goes on and on and on. I got to the point it just needed to stop.

(view spoiler)
Petra
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ku, drama
2.5 stars. This was ok, but I can't honestly go as far as saying that I enjoyed it. Quite a frustrating read. I had the urge to slap the male protagonist, Simon. He had no redeeming features whatsoever. On top of that, I couldn't even find a lot of sympathy for the female lead, Catherine, who ends up raising their three children by herself after Simon simply disappears one day. Told from Simon and Catherine's perspectives and switching between the present and the past, this was a character drive ...more
Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books)
John Marrs gets me every time! After reading (and loving) The One earlier this year, I was eager to pick up his other books! While I was reading this one, I kept thinking about how it was good, but not as twisty as The One...then I got to the end, and WOW. It was twist after twist, and I LOVED it! This was easy to read, and once the story got going, I didn't want to put it down. I loved how things played out, and loved to hate Simon. I especially enjoyed the ending of the book!
embos
Sep 30, 2017 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

DNF.

Too slow, or maybe too uninteresting for me. I don't mind the writing style, but the story isn't grabbing my attention. I have a long list of books to read, I'll set this aside for now.

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for my copy.
The Book Review Café
Imagine one day your husband disappears, you have no idea what has happened to him, as time passes you grieve, you go on to build a life without him and then when you least expect he turns up on your doorstep, I’m sure you would be shocked to say the least! and even more so when he reveals what he’s been up too! And this is pretty much the premises for When You Disappear. The story opens with the day Simon left and follows the impact this has on his family, and on Simon himself, when he reappear ...more
Anna
Dec 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Twenty-five years ago, Catherine awoke to find her husband had vanished. As the days turned into weeks and then months, and no trace of either him or his dead body was found, Catherine and her three young children went through every hellish emotion as they desperately tried to cling to normality.

Twenty-five years ago, Simon chose to walk out on his wife and children. Hitching to Europe, he began a new carefree life, giving little thought to those he left behind.

Today, Simon knocks on Catherine'
Jules
When You Disappeared is about a man who walks out on his wife and children, and turns up 25 years later. Will Simon’s wife, Catherine finally get answers as to where he’s been all those years and why?

This was an enjoyable thriller, but not one I fell in love with. I didn’t fully connect with the characters, and found Simon rather unlikable, which in turn left me less shocked or surprised by his actions.

The One is still my favourite book by this author, as I absolutely loved it.

I borrowed this
Ally
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was so frustrating. I wanted to know what happened but I HATED some of the characters.
Zainab
OH MY GOD THAT ENDING!!! I'm so sad right now!
Liz
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
John Marrs is a thriller author equivalent of a spider. He weaves the best and most complicated of webs. I believe it was only Chapter Two when already my mind was spinning with all the teases and hints, and… guys, I love it when a book makes my heart beat a little faster with anticipation. I like to squirm while I wait for the revelations.

There is a difference in between a story that drags towards a conclusion and tension-filled slow-burn of a progression. Marrs, in this case, has mastered the
Darinda
Catherine wakes one morning to find that her husband Simon is missing. She finds it difficult to believe her would leave her and their children. Simon has his reasons though. Twenty-five years later, he's back to make it clear why he left.

A disturbing story about a husband and wife in an seemingly perfect marriage. Things have happened, secrets have been kept, and their life together has unraveled. This novel is slow to get started, but packs a punch in the end. As the story unfolds, it becomes
Zoe Mann
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'When you disappeared' by John Marrs is a roller coaster journey that will leave you with whip lash and asking yourself.. what the **** just happened?

Catherine and Simon have just gone through every parent's worst nightmare of losing a child. For weeks Catherine's legs couldn't physically hold her weight and sorrow so she has been curled up in bed mourning the loss of her son. She now feels ready to face the world and to rebuild her and her family's lives, however, when she wakes up her husband
UK Amazon Kindle ...: John Marrs/ The Wronged Sons 44 54 Aug 09, 2014 01:20PM

• Cry Baby (Callum Doyle #4)
  • Minerva Day
  • Black Wood (Banktoun, #1)
  • This Is What It Smells Like
  • Brooklyn Noir
  • Taken Away
  • Forever Is Over
  • Nameless
  • Who Are You?
  • Like Lions (Bull Mountain, #2)
  • The Broken
  • The Rocking Horse
  • The Sandpiper
  • He Will Find You
  • Purified
  • The Patron Saint of Ugly
  • The Recovery Room
  • Desert Flowers
John Marrs is the author of The One, The Good Samaritan, When You Disappeared, Her Last Move and Welcome to Wherever You Are.

A former freelance journalist based in London, England, he spent twenty-five years interviewing celebrities from the world of television, film and music for national newspapers and magazines until becoming a full-time author in 2018.

He has written for publications including
“To anyone who ever gave you confidence - you owe them a lot.” 5 likes
“It was better to remain on my island than drown in somebody else’s sea. 7” 3 likes