Start by marking “I.O.N” as Want to Read:
I.O.N

I.O.N

Ion Tsuburagi chants the letters of her first name as a charm to bring good luck when she needs it. Then she meets Mikado Hourai, the president of the Psychic Powers Research Society at school, and touches a mysterious substance he's been developing. Now chanting "I-O-N" gives her telekinetic powers!
Published April 1st 2008 by VIZ Media LLC (first published December 9th 1997)

Lara Mi

Ion has always believed that something good will happen when chanting your own name. After getting involved with her classmate Mikado's experiment for telekinetic powers, Ion finds not only does chanting I-O-N bring her something good, but also allows her to use psychic powers. In addition to her new powers, she also begins to fall in love with Mikado. He, however, only seems to think of her as an interesting experiment.

I.O.N was the second manga I ever read and bought - way back in 2004! One may th
Laurel
Jan 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: meh, manga, silly-shoujo
It's...okay? It's definitely cute, but I guess Gentleman's Alliance appeals to me more. Tanemura's style is also more defined in that one.

Here, it's like...trapped in 1996 and it's a little jarring to look at for me and I really can't explain it anymore than that.

Woo?
Caroline
Aug 23, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fans of the author
Shelves: young-adult, manga
Eh...this book was unbelievably weird, and it wasn't drawn all too well. Also, who names their kid Ion? Who lets their spouse name their kid Ion?
Tinka
Jan 08, 2019 rated it liked it
So, last summer I started to re-read some of my old Mangas, the Kaori Yuki ones to be frank and this year I decided, why not my Arina Tanemura collection.

The history is long and complicated. Arina used to be THE Mangaka of my early teen years. Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne was one of my first Manga Series ever and for a couple of years I used to read everything I could find of hers, full on series or one shot. And I loved it. Her beautiful artwork, her cutesy romances and quirky stories. The
Girlwiththeglasses
This is my first anime and I really enjoyed it! I loved the fun pictures, the little the making of the bhoo notes on the side of the page but when it came to the story, the romance wasn't really my sort of thing. I loved how quick it was to read and I'll definatly be looking out for more anime
Kelcey
A cute little one-shot story. I love Arina Tanemura but as this was her first book, I can see a lot of her style was still fairly undeveloped. This one was pretty basic and didn't have a lot going on. I love almost everything she does so like I said, it's not bad, it's just not the best :)
Teetee
Jan 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga-shojo
Koorihime-sama
Feb 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Bought from Amazon, and I still own a copy.

APART OF THE GOODREADS 2012 READING CHALLENGE.

Review/Rating:

4 out of 5

Ease of Reading Text: 5 out of 5
Illustrations: 5 out of 5
Plot: 5 out of 5
Art Touch-Up: 5 out of 5
Translation: 4 out of 5
Design: 5 out of 5

When Ion Tsuburagi chants her first name, good things happen to her. However, when she meet Mikado and touches something he’s been developing, her powers start growing into something/>
Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

Ion is Tanemura first series - and it shows. Dating from around 1996, even the author apologizes for the inconsistent story and unrefined artwork. Yes, it has a spark of the charm that would appear in her later works. But the story is clearly one that started as a one-shot and just kept going for the sake of popularity rather than integrity. It's cute - but it's also all over the place and clearly wasn't plotted out in advance. This volume completes the
Lottie Eve
Oct 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Ion Tsuburagi chants the letters of her first name as a charm to bring good luck when she needs it. Then she meets Mikado Hourai, the president of the Psychic Powers Research Society at school, and touches a mysterious substance he's been developing. Now chanting "I-O-N" gives her telekinetic powers.

I picked up this manga because the synopsis sounded very cute and fun. I liked the idea and thought it would be a very quick and lighthearted read. I did enjoy it at first but after readi
Christina
Mar 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Ion Tsuburagi has always been able to make any wish she desires come true by chanting her given name slowly and intently. Then, in High School, Ion encounters a boy in pursuit of his dream-- he wants to study and understand psychic powers! When he is gone one evening, Ion sneaks into his makeshift laboratory (a shed in the back of the school) and picks up his research material-- a substance that looks like a strange and familiar stone. When Ion picks it up, however, there is a strange electrical ...more
Kendra
Nov 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 10-grade
I.O.N Vol. 01
by Arina Tanemura
ppg216 usa
viz media
isbn:9781421518008

In this book i liked the mystery of every thing and the way she put the story. the flash backs really explained alot.She was very good at the order she didnt give us a clue what was going to happen but we guessed any way and i liked thta there was no way you would have guessed what happened.

I also really liked how they were able to pick the tiltle becasue the title really is t
Natalie
Ion's weird first name aside, I.O.N. is a cute, one-shot romance. Though it's one of Arina Tanemura's earlier works, I didn't find the artwork or the characters to be lackluster; despite the relatively short length, Ion, Mikado, and their compatriots all develop within this six chapter work.

I didn't think the story line was the strongest; it relied on a lot of cliches and required Mikado to be an absolute dolt when it came to his painfully obvious feelings for Ion. Ion's really weird name
Chelsea
Arina Tanemura is a great Mangaka and I really like her style. This series is only 1 volume long and has less drama than some of her other series but is really good. This is a really fun story about a girl who discovers she has psychic powers and what she does with them. This story is also about how she falls in love with a boy that admires her powers and the relationship that develops between them.

Contains Chapters: 1 - 6
Chapter 01.) A Miracle in Three Seconds
Chapter 02.
Ally
Feb 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mangaaaa
For a one-shot volume (six chapters I think?), Tanemura manages to fit a good amount of plot and character development into this book. I was pleasantly surprised that the love triangle was resolved, with the two girls becoming friends -- I wish more series did that.

The student president, who kept grabbing Ion, followed her around, and wouldn't take no for an answer, was an incredibly uncomfortable character.

Still, the charming side characters and Ion herself is enough to
Starbubbles
May 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
the story develops in a nice climatic way. the artwork at times gets a bit shaky, but that might be b/c i don't like the aesthetics of one characters. it's like playing that game from sesame street, "one of these things doesn't belong here..."
it's a very cute story, done in a lighthearted way. i did think it was a bit odd that everyone was so accepting of psychic powers. i guess to have others not accept someone having telekinetic powers (maybe thinking it's freakish, or something to that
Kimberly
Dec 22, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga-manhwa
The heroine of this book bothered me. A LOT. She was unbelievably self-centered until the end, when she finally confessed her love.
Arina Tanemura has definitely had better art, and I would've preferred that she redraw everything before releasing this book.
Miss Ryoko
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library-book, manga
I read this manga for the Mini Game Challenge in the Manga Book Club... I wasn't thoroughly impressed with it. It was an alright storyline. The art was okay. There really wasn't anything particularly special about this one shot. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't great either. It really was just ok.
Jennica
Feb 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I have read this one over and over again. I like that it is only one volume because it makes it easy to keep track of everything, but I also kind of wish there were more. XD It is a really sweet story.
Ichigo
Jan 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
i just read this and its such a cute romance ^_^ it makes me wish i had someone like ion to make me happy all the time exept it would be a boy of course. but her friend is really weird it looks like she's crying all the time-_-?
Maria
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Awesomeness! I have been dying to read I-O-N and you know it was pretty awesome, a little bird told me there was a sequel and I was like "shit what?!" don't know if it's true but I am investigating! Which is kinda crazy cuz this book came out forever ago, so we'll see!
Nohely
Dec 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
This is Tanemura- sensei first work ever! Of course it is magical girl with some marvelous romance. Sadly it is only one volume of six chapters, quite enjoyable. I.O.N is fun a read about a girl with telekinesis (a power I would love to have).
Dani(elle)
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
"Ion said that her powers disappeared after she gained weight, right?"

This quote a few pages before the end is what made me dislike the book. The story is silly and cute but this line killed it for me.
Christa
Feb 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: own-on-nook
It's not a favourite, but it is a cute book. Won't be in a hurry to get the next one, though.
Kereesa
Jun 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Tanemura
Recommended to Kereesa by: Jay
I love Tanemura. She can nearly bring me to tears within a single volume. And that takes work people.
Gwendolyn
Jun 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Jenny Clark
Jun 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shojo-beat-manga
One of Tanumaras earliest works, so not really a defined style, but it is still super cute and sweet. Love how Ion tries to help everyone, even before she has her full powers.
William
Jan 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to this book, I have learned a new magic spell: Now I can chant ウィリアム whenever I am in trouble or want to make a wish, and something good will always happen!
Steph
Sep 23, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Arina Tanemura
Shelves: manga
Cute, but a little weird.
Elizabeth
May 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga
Cute, fluffy, and magical (or scientific?). What more do you want from the creator of Full Moon wo Sagashite and Phantom Thief Jeanne?

• Yume Kira Dream Shoppe
  • Magical X Miracle, Vol. 1 (Magical x Miracle, #1)
  • Saint Dragon Girl, Vol. 01
  • Cactus's Secret, Vol. 01
  • V.B. Rose Volume 1
  • Angel Diary, Vol. 01
  • Captive Hearts, Vol. 05 (Captive Hearts, #5)
  • Ai Hime ~ Ai to Himegoto, Vol. 03
  • Hibiki's Magic Volume 1
  • Pixie Pop: Gokkun Pucho, Vol. 1
  • Rozen Maiden, Vol. 1
  • Heaven's Will
  • Gals! Vol. 5 (Gals!, #5)
  • Beauty Pop, Vol. 4 (Beauty Pop, #4)
  • Alice 19th, Vol. 5 (Alice 19th, #5)
  • Rasetsu, Vol. 1
  • Mermaid Melody: Pichi Pichi Pitch, Vol. 6 (Mermaid Melody: Pichi Pichi Pitch, #6)
Name in Japanese: 種村有菜 (Tanemura Arina)
Western Zodiac: Pisces

Arina Tanemura was born on March 12, 1978. She's the author of Full Moon O Sagashite, Time Stranger Kyoko, Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne, The Gentlemen's Alliance Cross, Sakura Hime Kaden, and more.

Her favorite hobby is Karaoke. One song that she sings is Smile, originally by Myco. She has two cats, named Riku and Kai. She has one el(Tanemura
“If…if you don't feel anything for me then don't touch me! Don't act like you care!” 17 likes
“I liked her…I really liked her.
I wanted to protect her.
I approached her in a gentle, playful manner, because she's so precious and I wanted to hold her in my arms because she's so carefree.
She was my treasure.”