Start by marking “Castle in the Air (Howl's Moving Castle, #2)” as Want to Read:
Castle in the Air (Howl's Moving Castle, #2)

Castle in the Air

(Howl's Moving Castle #2)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  37,523 ratings  ·  2,409 reviews

Abdullah was a young and not very prosperous carpet dealer. His father, who had been disappointed in him, had left him only enough money to open a modest booth in the Bazaar. When he was not selling carpets, Abdullah spent his time daydreaming. In his dreams he was not the son of his father, but the long-lost son of a prince. There was also a princess who had been betrothe

Published September 25th 2012 by Greenwillow Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Castle in the Air, please sign up.
LJF They are in this, but one of them doesn't show up until the middle of the story, the other until nearly the end. However, if you're paying attention, …moreThey are in this, but one of them doesn't show up until the middle of the story, the other until nearly the end. However, if you're paying attention, you can actually figure out where they are much sooner than that.(less)

·  37,523 ratings  ·  2,409 reviews

Start your review of Castle in the Air (Howl's Moving Castle, #2)
Mark Lawrence
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another very readable book from DWJ, and one I've just finished reading to my daughter, Celyn. Refreshingly independent princesses being semi-saved by our devoted hero, a carpet salesman from the desert city of Zanzib. He's not hero material, and never resorts to violence, but he's a good fellow and carries the story well.

We get all the standard Aladdin-esque trappings, a magic carpet, a genie in a bottle, evil djinns, bandits, sultans, camels... and for a while you think you know roughly where
Emma
Feb 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Castle in the Air" is Diana Wynne Jones' sequel to her amazingly awesome novel "Howl's Moving Castle." It was originally published in 1990 (four years after "Howl's Moving Castle"). At first glance, this novel doesn't sound like a sequel--it sounds more like a companion book at best--but I promise it does explain more about Howl and Sophie, just not right away and not, perhaps, in the most obvious way.

That said, this story is set in the Sultanates of Rashpuht a land far to the south of Ingary (
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
In this sequel to Howl's Moving Castle, the wizard Howl gets mixed up with djinni, genies (in this story they're two different species) and some Arabian Nights-type characters (from the sanitized version I read as a child). Abdullah, a humble young carpet merchant with big (day)dreams, is sold a magic carpet by a suspicious-looking stranger, which leads him to a beautiful princess named Flower-in-the-Night, a genie in a bottle, and other adventures. Abdullah is forced to leave behind his daydrea ...more
~The Bookish Redhead~
I feel rather conned here. This story was not the experience I was expecting, especially when Howl's moving castle is one of my favourite stories. The only worthy part of this particular book, is the cover. It's attractive and inviting but the plot, not so much.

I love Howl's moving castle, as it was beautiful, exciting, and the characters were different. In this installment, the main character was irritating as hell. He just wasn't likeable, and in my opinion, this was entirely due to the writin
Ahmad Sharabiani
Castle in the Air (Howl's Moving Castle, #2), Diana Wynne Jones (1934)
Castle in the Air is a young adult fantasy novel written by Diana Wynne Jones, and first published in 1990. The novel is a sequel to Howl's Moving Castle and is set in the same fantasy world, though it follows the adventures of Abdullah rather than Sophie Hatter. The plot is based on stories from the Arabian Nights. The book features many of the characters from Howl's Moving Castle, often under some sort of disguise.
تاریخ نخست
¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪SomeBunny Reads (Phoenix)•*¨*•♫♪
"You cannot rob robbers with a kitten in your hat!"

In this story full of magic, wishes and One Thousand and One Nights reminiscence (it is very similar to Aladdin's tale), we follow characters who look absolutely different from the first book... It almost seems that this story is not about Howl and Sophie at all... Or is it? 😏

I enjoyed this book quite a lot and, I must admit, maybe even more than Howl's Moving Castle. I found it more cohesive, and the story, although very different from the fi
Cat
Jul 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fran
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Let's start with the important part. I did like this book. A lot. Now, if you don't like authors who play with our preconceive ideas of how stories and characters should work, you won't like this book as much as I did. Because that's how Wynne Jones build her stories, by playing with the understood to make it new.

No, to matter at hand, my review: Castle in the Air is a companion book to Howl’s Moving Castle. It's the story of Abdullah, a young merchant from Zanzib. One day, a mysterious man sell
Katerina Kondrenko
8.5 out of 10

Ревью в моем блоге/This review on my blog
Living A Thousand Lives

Short-Soundtrack:
John Me – Love Is My Drug, Is My Medicine

Genre: fairytale, fantasy
Stuff: jinn, flying carpet and castle, magic
Fail: funny, but not charismatic MC
WOW: old characters, the plot, humor
POV: 3rd person, male
Love-Geometry: none

Quote-Core:
“Fate doesn't care most of the t
Krystle
Aug 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Castle in the Air is the sequel to Howl’s Moving Castle. That being said I picked this up with trepidation because I was rather disappointed the book wasn’t going to be from the main characters in the first, nor would it have a direct focus on it. But they do occur later on.

That being said, I loved this book! I loved how she managed to turn this into another one of her witty, light-hearted, but not lacking in depth, fantasy tales. It was unique, original, and if I hadn’t read spoilers beforehand
[Name Redacted]
Loved it. Even better than the preceding volume (which I did enjoy), because everything I disliked about Howl's Moving Castle was fixed herein. ...more
Marianne Moresco
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won't ever get tired of Howl and Sophie, even if there's not very much of them here. Still, a fun and enjoyable book!
Amber
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
2.5 ⭐️

O.K I was super disappointed by this one. Howl's Moving Castle is one of my all time favorite books. I wasn't expecting this to be my next favorite, but I was hoping for the same whimsy and charm. Instead I got this story that mad me mad, because I hated the main character. I hated him because of the writing, which seems to be a product of it's time. But I will list some of my most hated passages that describe our MC's thoughts.

"She (the Flower in the Night/ Love interest) was intelligen
Hayley ☾ (TheVillainousReader)
This was cute, though I didn’t enjoy it nearly as much as Howl’s Moving Castle.
Erin
If you read and enjoyed Howl's Moving Castle and have yet to read this, what are you waiting for? Come on now, go read it. At once.

I liked Castle in the Air better than its predecessor, surprisingly. There are several reasons for this:

1. The plot makes more sense on a first read-- there's a clear mission from the get-go, and the reveals at the end aren't at all confusing.

2. It's not exactly a retelling... but there are clear, surely intended parallels to the story of Aladdin. I really liked the
What a great follow up to the first in the series, Howl's Moving Castle!

This isn't a typical series in that the main characters from the first book don't appear in the second book until about 2/3 of the way through. But the humor and the whimsical magic and great characters are still very much here. I also enjoy the way animals play a significant role in her stories. They make the most interesting characters!

I'm thoroughly enjoying becoming reacquainted with DWJ. She has written so many books,
Juho Pohjalainen
Jul 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I turned out to enjoy this one a good deal better than I did Howl's Moving Castle. Perhaps it's got something to do with how I tend to prefer the Arabian Nights setting for my fairytales. But most of it, I think, is because the story was a great deal more straightforward and easier to follow, a simple Hero's Journey rather than a magical mystery whose rules we only vaguely know of, with characters that I could sympathize with better because their desires and needs were much less complex.

So with
Sesana
Mar 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Castle in the Air is indeed a companion to Howl's Moving Castle, but the first thing to accept is that you won't be seeing much of Howl and Sophie. Once I did that, I was able to relax and enjoy this entirely different book.

Abdullah is from Rashpuht, and this is where the story begins. As the names suggest, there's a definite "Arabian Nights" flavor to the narrative. Abdullah finds himself with a magic carpet, that he doesn't know how to control, exactly, and meets with the princess Flowers-in-t
steph // bookplaits
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
I thought this was really fun read, just slightly more than Howl's Moving Castle, which I was surprised by! The main character in this one, Abdullah, speaks in the most ridiculous, flowery way, and I loved it! I can see why people might get bored of it after a while, but I continued to find it very charming. Probably my main issue was Abdullah equating slimness with beauty, and of course the whole insta-love thing between him and Flower-in-the-Night (what a name...). I was so intrigued to find o ...more
Andrea
This is one of DWJ's more problematic stories. Although very readable and amusing, it dips into uncomfortable territory with its portrayal of a middle east culture, and there are multiple instances of using fat as a characterisation of bad, lazy or shallow.

I think most problematic for me, however, is the plain princess who is so complimented to be chosen over more beautiful princesses that she's _grateful_ to be blackmailed into marriage.
Melindam
Not as good as Howl's Moving Castle, but a very entertaining story. ...more
Heidi
Jun 22, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the marks of my favorite authors is their ability to keep me guessing–the knowledge that when I crack open one of their books, I should expect the unexpected. This is only my second Diana Wynne Jones read, but I can already see her name rising in the ranks of the authors who do just that. Like Howl’s Moving Castle, Castle in the Air is an incredibly smart, adventurous, twisting read that is a credit to readers of all ages. At no point did I know where the story was going, and in the end I ...more
☆ ĄňŊǡƂėƮĦ ☆ ŞŧŎŋė
this book was really good! it was funny and had all of hte great characters from Howl's Moving Castle along with a few new and very entertaining characters. there were some plot twists along with curses and disguises. it had a great ending with many surprises. so all in all, the perfect book.
Karen ⊰✿
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here we have a story of a carpet-seller Abdullah who wants to marry a Princess, finds a magic carpet, a genie, a motley-crew of friends and goes about trying to rescue the Princess from a powerful Djinn. It is great fun and would suit middle-grade audiences as well as those *ahem* my age.

Many years ago I went to an outdoor cinema that happened to be playing Howl's Moving Castle. I had no idea what to expect, no idea that it was based on a book, and I fell in love with it. Which led me to eventua
Mari
Nov 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, fantasy

I feel bad for Castle in the Air because I love Howl's Moving Castle and I waited so long to get to it. I think this mostly seems lesser in comparison. And when it does start to really pick up, it's because the elements of book 1 show back up. It has that charm of a classic fairytale, for sure, but I just cared less about Abdullah and Flower in the Night. Flower improves by leaps and bounds when we spend a wee bit of time with her, but it wasn't nearly enough. There was so fat hate slip
Abi (The Knights Who Say Book)
(3.5 stars) Not as good as Howl’s Moving Castle, but enjoyable. I don't know what else to say about it, possibly because listening to it on audiobook means I started it so long ago. I missed Howl and Sophie and Calcifer, and felt that this book had a little less of the inherent charm Moving Castle had, though it has its own humor (especially the genie).
Kristina
Castle in the Air by Diana Wynne Jones, although described as the second book in the Howl’s Moving Castle series, isn’t really a continuation of the first book, Howl’s Moving Castle. It’s more of a companion novel. I would still probably read HMC first, because it establishes the characters that you (eventually) run into, but this book has a different story. I didn’t like this book as much because the characters aren’t as interesting or endearing, but the story is entertaining.

Abdullah is a rug
Robin Stevens
May 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book hasn't aged marvellously well - it's not DWJ's best work - but even a middling DWJ is pretty wonderful. 8+

Amy Leigh
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This as a great spin off to Howl's Moving Castle. While Howl and Sophie aren't main characters you will see them at small points throughout the story. This story felt like a fun retelling of Arabian Nights/Aladdin. I connected with Abdullah quickly and loved how much of his life we learn about before he meets the princess. The way he finds the flying carpet is so well written and the story is just a fun read.
Zoe
Aug 03, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book didn't do it for me. I loved all the other books I've read by Diana Wynne Jones, but these characters seemed like cardboard, their trials and tribulations not squeezing any sympathy or interest from me... until, of course, they met up with Sophie and Howl at the very, very end (much to my dismay).

I know Jones likes rewriting fairy tales the way she thinks of them, this obviously being the tale of Alladin. I don't enjoy that story, either.

So I guess, to be fair, it's most likely my pe

• La Carcajada Del Gato
  • Studio Saint-ex
  • Howl's Moving Castle Picture Book (Howl's Moving Castle Film Comics, #1)
  • Kiki's Delivery Service
  • Il registratore di sogni
  • Spirits in the Wires (Newford, #10)
  • Coraline
  • Marcando su piel
  • Missing Wings: Chronicles of the Aranysargas
  • Basil and the Royal Dare
  • An Irish Country Cookbook
  • Тропами вереска
  • Basil in the Wild West (Basil of Baker Street, #5)
  • Quicksilver
  • Bastidores
  • Stardust
  • The Emperor's New Clothes
Diana was born in London, the daughter of Marjorie (née Jackson) and Richard Aneurin Jones, both of whom were teachers. When war was announced, shortly after her fifth birthday, she was evacuated to Wales, and thereafter moved several times, including periods in Coniston Water, in York, and back in London. In 1943 her family finally settled in Thaxted, Essex, where her parents worked running an ed ...more

Howl's Moving Castle (3 books)
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • House of Many Ways (Howl's Moving Castle, #3)