Start by marking “The Courtship (Windham #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Courtship (Windham #0.5)

The Courtship

(Windham 0.5)

The first novella to be published by New York Times bestselling author Grace Burrowes features the foundation story for her bestselling series. This is the tender story of love tested and won, and how Percy Windham, the dashing and brilliant man who was never supposed to become the Duke of Moreland, wooed the amazing lady who became his beloved Duchess.

Percival Windham is
Published November 6th 2012 by Sourcebooks Casablanca

To ask other readers questions about The Courtship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Courtship

ᴥ Irena ᴥ
A cute little introduction to what seems to be a decent historical romance series.
The blurb tells you pretty much everything, there isn't any character growth (it is honestly too short for that). Since I follow the Goodreads ratings, The Courtship falls into an okay category.
*TANYA*
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute quick book. I liked this author, it's my first book of hers. I will be looking more of her books.
willaful
This was just ridiculous. The story was meandering and pointless and I didn't believe one word of it. There's very little sense of being in a specific time, and it's not helped by jaw-droppingly implausible pre-marital sex. A note at the end making it seem that Burrowes was saving the backstory about this couple that readers had been hoping to get for yet another book didn't make me feel any happier about it.
Bambi Unbridled
3.5 stars / 2 flames. Full review posted at Bambi Unbridled.
 photo bambi unbridled logo large_zpsq7ai79wf.png
Victoria Vane
LOVED LOVED LOVED IT!!!
Review to come soon...
Juliana Philippa
"Are you flirting with me, my lord?"

He set the cup down between them, his lips quirking. "If you have to ask, Miss Himmelfarb, then I'm making a poor job of it, aren't I?"

He hadn't said no.
Lovely little novella. I really enjoyed the exchanges between Esther and Percival and the chemistry was sizzling. Still unclear on some things (is she a poor relation or no? why would she be a poor-relation-in-training? if her father's well-off, how would that not be known by the rest of society? etc.).

Regar
Dawn
I truly enjoyed this quick read about Percy and Esther Windham. This story is about their courtship and eventual betrothal. It takes place at a house party. Esther is little more than a companion/servant having been invited only as a favour to one of her relatives. She is given a shabbly attic room. But Percy, of course, doesn't know this and really doesn't care. He and his brother, Tony, are attending as they have pretty much been given an ultimatum from their Duchess mother to marry quickly an ...more
SY
Oct 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I like Grace Burrowes' writing and was not disappointed in this novella. A lot was packed into such a short story. The spare "Percy" was kind and not pompous even though he's the son of a duke. Esther was humble and realistic about her position as a less fortunate relative. This was a quiet friends to lovers story that's a nice precursor to a new series. My only gripe was that besides from Esther, all the women were betrayed as sniping, malicious, unfeeling snobs. I hate bringing out my
Jan
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a reread in preparation for rereading The Heir for BOTM for Historical Romance Book Club. I originally read it in a collection of 4 novellas, but I will only be rereading the first two so I'm recording it separately.

I liked this novella again. It's long enough to be able to tell a decent little story. And already knowing the MCs from having read the whole Windham series already makes it more enjoyable for me.
Wollstonecrafthomegirl
Having read so, so, so much about the Duke and Duchess of Moreland by virtue of having read all the Windham books and nearly everything Burrowes has written (only her most recent releases are unread) I really hoped that their courtship would be something a bit special. It wasn't, sadly. It was fine but I can put it no higher than that.
Dina
2.5 stars (rounded down to 2 stars because the second half of the story made no sense to me)
Michelle Connolly
Honestly, I'm not even sure what the hell I just read. This is the first book I've picked up by Grace Burrowes and if this is any indication of what I might find in the rest of her books, I'm not sure I want to read any more. A novella is obviously short, it barely gives you enough room to actually get into the story and care about the characters, so, in my opinion it should get to the point; it should stick to what really matters and what the heart of the story truly is. Well, this novella is f ...more
Mara Pemberton
It was nice to see how His Grace and Her Grace met.
Rachel
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Adorable

I absolutely loved this first look at the Duke and Duchess of Moreland. It was sweet and charming and perfect.
ROMANTIC HISTORICAL REVIEW BLOG
Reviewed at Romantic Historical lovers:

REVIEW by Emery

The setting of THE COURTSHIP is the ubiquitous 18th century aristocratic house party, the scene of match-making and midnight trysts. Of the many guests present, and more by default than preference, is the almost-spinster Miss Esther Himmelfarb, who is there mainly to support the matrimonial ambitions of her impoverished cousin Michael. Also on the list more out of obligation than inclination, and decidedly disinclined to place themselves wit
Sometime
This was ok. I really liked Esther and I did like Percy but there was too much mention of his man-whore past. I was also turned off by the house party where pretty much everyone was shallow, selfish and only interested in sex with whoever happened to be around. Is this supposed to be interesting? Ick, find somewhere else to spend a few weeks. It all just left me with a bad taste.

Note: I'm skipping the sequel to this book where 5 years (and 4 kids) into their marriage (view spoiler)
Carla
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this light novella between a "second spare" and an "impoverished relative in training." It's set at a house party with lots of scheming and trysts. There is wondeful dialog and likeable characters. It's a lovely treat for a rainy afternoon.

This is the first book I've tried to read on hoopla and was disappointed when the book suddenly reverted to the cover page and then got "stuck," so to speak. Luckily, I was able to find an ebook copy and finish it.
Rebecca (everyday reader)
House parties are dull when you are there to even out the numbers, act as a servant to the spoiled titled ladies, be invisible to any suitors, and to keep an eye on her cousin Michael. But when a duke's son shows an interest in you it becomes a far better time. Esther and Percy find each other, love, friendship, and passion. Great read!!
Marcy
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: windham-series
This was a prequel novella to the author's Windham series. It was a sweet recounting of the meeting at a house party of Percival Windham and Miss Esther Himmelfarb. Their courtship may of been brief, but the love between these two was beautiful
Keri
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Courtship

This was a delightful book, although almost too sweet at times, even for me. I enjoy the writing of this author and am looking forward to the rest of this series of family of Windoms.
Diane K. Peterson
Dec 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
LOVED it! Probably the best novella I have read. We grew so attached to these parents in the Moreland books. It was lovely to see how they met and fell in love. Totally a sentimental tear jerker.
Jan
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
...and again, I read this some time ago but didn't check it from my list. Loved it---I think this is my favorite Burrowes family.
Teresa
May 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this introduction to a new writer I've been meaning to read for awhile. For me, it suffered a bit from what all novellas tend to suffer: to short and quick to really connect or know the characters better. I do gather this was maybe written after the Windham brothers trilogy to give backstory to the parents, so that maybe would've helped me. Regardless, there was something about her writing that was completely different and kept me turning the pages. Looking forward to trying mor ...more
Joycee
Oh, how lovely. How fitting for Percy & Esther, who seemed to still be so much in love throughout all the next-gen Windham tales.

It’s also nice that even the scheming misses and skeevy importuning “gentlemen” of the house party also get HEA’s ... even though I thought they shouldn’t have gotten off so easily for being petty with Esther. Or maybe their ending up with the others was payback enough. None of them got to dally with Esther or end up w/the (male) catches of the season.
Barbara
3 Stars

This was an okay novella. I’m hoping the full length novels will have more of a description of some things. It was hard to figure out when exactly things were happening. It was the span of 3 weeks but it felt like it only happened in a few days? I’m not sure. I am intrigued enough with the characters to at least try the rest of the series.
Debbie Dodd
I enjoyed reading.
Kathy
Feb 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Duke of Moreland meet his duchess. A very short story of their falling in love.
Cynthia Miller
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wonderful story

You'll enjoy the characters and hope it all works well for them. Grace Burrowed stories are always a good read.
April
Nov 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were so many characters introduced all at once that it was hard to keep track. Hopefully this prequel will set up the rest of the series very well.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Apr 16, 2015 09:45AM

• The Wager (Sisters of Scandal, #2)
  • A Match Made in Mistletoe
  • Sweetest Regret
  • The Matchmaker (Maker, #1)
  • The Second Seduction of a Lady (The Wild Quartet, #0.5)
  • All I Want For Christmas is a Duke
  • A Lady's Guide to Skirting Scandal (The Lords of Worth, #2.5)
  • Twelve Nights as His Mistress (Rescued from Ruin, #5.5)
  • A Secret Affair (Secret Brides, #2.5)
  • A Kiss For Midwinter (Brothers Sinister, #1.5)
  • Beauty and the Blacksmith  (Spindle Cove, #3.5)
  • The Short and Fascinating Tale of Angelina Whitcombe
  • Kisses, She Wrote (The Prince Catchers, #1.5)
  • It Takes Two to Tangle (The Matchmaker Trilogy, #1)
  • Red Roses Mean Love
  • The Most Improper Miss Sophie Valentine (Sydney Dovedale, #1)
  • Deadly Affair (Alec Halsey Mystery, #2)
  • Practically Wicked
Grace Burrowes started writing as an antidote to empty nest and soon found it an antidote to life in general. She is the sixth out of seven children, raised in the rural surrounds of central Pennsylvania. Early in life she spent a lot of time reading romance novels and practicing the piano. Her first career was as a technical writer and editor in the Washington, DC, area, a busy job that nonethele ...more

Windham (8 books)
  • The Heir (Duke's Obsession, #1; Windham, #1)
  • The Soldier (Duke's Obsession, #2; Windham, #2)
  • The Virtuoso (Duke's Obsession, #3; Windham, #3)
  • Lady Sophie's Christmas Wish (The Duke's Daughters, #1; Windham, #4)
  • Lady Maggie's Secret Scandal (The Duke's Daughters, #2; Windham, #5)
  • Lady Louisa's Christmas Knight (The Duke's Daughters, #3; Windham, #6)
  • Lady Eve's Indiscretion (The Duke's Daughters, #4; Windham, #7)
  • Lady Jenny's Christmas Portrait (The Duke's Daughters, #5; Windham, #8)