Start by marking “Scala for the Impatient” as Want to Read:
Scala for the Impatient

Scala for the Impatient

Scala is reaching a tipping point, as thousands of Java and other object-oriented programmers hear about its potential and seek to discover this breakthrough functional programming language for themselves. Until now, most treatments of Scala have been abstract and academic. Now, Cay Horstmann does for Scala what he did for Java in his global best-seller Core Java he offers ...more
Published March 8th 2012 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published February 27th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Scala for the Impatient, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scala for the Impatient

Start your review of Scala for the Impatient
Tomasz
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technical, 2013, 2014
Very good introduction to Scala for Java Developers. It contains everything you need to know about this exciting language to hit the ground running in a new project. Of course book contains some things that are not necessarily required for a beginner Scala developer, but there are only few of them.

A must read for every Scala developer wannabe with background in Java.
Vishwanath
Excellent for learning scala basics and interacting with the scala library. I really liked the emphasis on "for" comprehensions in lieu of map/filters. Lots of comparisons with Java throughout the book which is very useful if one is familiar with the java paradigms. The author also provides several pointers on using functional versus object-oriented techniques which can be applied across languages. Would have been great if he delved more into libraries for big data like spark or even walk throug ...more
Alex Ott
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good refresher...
Nick
Jun 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've started finally writing some scala at work, so was happy to have the excuse to pick this book up. Scala's an interesting language, and one I'm definitely still learning. This book certainly helped, and I'm sure I'll return to it as I'm actually writing code and thinking about how to organize my work.

This book did a pretty good job of introducing the language and walking you through many aspects, including some features you may or may not need (xml processing, parsers). As I read it, I was t
Stephen Corgiat
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stephen by: YC
Very good book, it is well organized and teaches you the basics of Scala. I found the chapters on more advanced topics a little lacking, but that's OK since this book is focused on helping introduce you to the language. The examples used in this book get straight to the point and assume the reader has a background in software development. The only downside I found was the kindle version I was reading had formatting issues with the code examples.
Sebastian
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great fast-paced introduction to Scala. Covers a lot of syntax, and new things which Scala does and is advantageous is. This doesn't set out to show you how to build something from scratch, it's mostly theory-based rather than applied, but it's a good reference guide, and first-point for someone not wanting to dive into other books (tomes) on Scala.

Slight gripes, as criticisms are always easier to point out:
Could start with how to structure a Scala package/program.
Not enough on Scala's advantage
Dorum
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good. Honestly, I'd wish that the last 100 pages would have been 200 pages, with more examples and exercises. Also, the chapters on XML and parsing aren't really required, in my humble opinion. At least not if you are really impatient.

However, overall, a very good introduction for Java programmers who want to learn Scala.
Triplebyte
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"A good introduction to Scala." – Wonjun B.
Frank
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: java-jvm
This is a good series but you wonder what he left out.
Mohamed Elsherif
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very good and comprehensive book that truly meant for those who just want to get to the point as quickly as possible.
Pavel Sivak
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like Cay’s java books a little bit boring))
But still very useful
Calvin Lee
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Covers basic needs to start coding in Scala. I needed to learn some new syntax + ways Scala handles.
Swaraj Yadav
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book for reference and gotchas and will quickly take you up to speed in scala.
Ahmed Rashad Mohamed
Overall, I liked the book and it gives fast and good introduction to Scala. Perhaps I wanted to see also as part of the book, more focus on Functional programming in Scala.
Felipe
Jul 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Useful if you are already coming with some FP background and is only interested in the sintax. Go for Odersky Coursera courses to learn FP with Scala.
Michael
I have read 12 chapters of this book.
While the examples are very understandable, and the book succeeds with the key point; to teach Scala features and syntax without being overly verbose, it fails to show how to program in Scala, the examples are simply too short to be satisfactionary. As an example, in Chapter 12: While it had brief coverage on what closures, and other functional programming things are, and how to do it in Scala, it completely failed to drive home the point of the power of func
Helge
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
If you are already familiar with object-oriented as well as functional programming concepts, this book will provide a very concise tour of the language, without re-iterating anything you already know.
Waltman
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought the book yesterday to get an overview of Scala so that I can talk about it intelligently at some interviews I have coming up. For that purpose it's successful. The book is designed for programmers who are already familiar with Java or C++. In many places where the author could have gone into a lengthy description, he instead says "this is just like this feature you already know, with these differences." That's mostly a successful approach, but there were some places where I found myself ...more
Taylor
Oct 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
A really outstanding lightning tour through the Scala language. My only beef is that it is occasionally too lightning; maybe I am not impatient enough. Trying to cover so much ground so fast means that many concepts are only slightly touched upon and, since the book tends to build on previous parts of the book, this left me asea at times such that I would have to go back and re-read sections as well as go online to figure things out.

However, this is a relatively minor quibble considering the gro
Lyle
Nov 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It worked for me! This was a great way for me to learn Scala. I come from an atypical background, though: I've done plenty of functional and object-oriented programming. I was a bit weak on the Java side of things. But I picked this book up quickly, for the most part. It doesn't waste time introducing you to programming concepts, so it's good for those who have a lot of background. I did find that in the last few chapters, some of the concepts weren't as clearly motivated as early on. I kept won ...more
Michael Koltsov
Nov 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That was the second Cay Horstmann’s book ive read. First one was Core Java Server Faces .

What can i cay, this book is great. Scala language is very friendly for the newcomers, and on the other side it’s very complicated and needs a lot of practice. But it’s almost impossible to tell about all the features of one language in a three hundred pages book. But Cay Horstmann really did that. He doesn’t waste your time on an explanation of basic stuff. He goes straight to the core of Scala.

I read that
Justin Ryan
Technical approach with formal definitions of Scala constructs, sprinkled with good insights along the way. Making it a good book for Java converts.

The organization of the book though requires many forward-looking references, which given the material can make it hard to comprehend some concepts. Like-wise there isn't any de-emphasis on the more complicated/obscure areas of Scala, which is what I consider the biggest problem with Scala.
David
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computers-lang
I'm another developer that has just given himself a crash course in Spark/Scala. This was an excellent text for the latter. However, as a scalaNoob, this was a challenging book to work through (generics and continuations come to mind). Stackoverflow, of course, helped fill in the rest of the details.
Bhashit Parikh
Apr 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
Really good introduction to Scala. It's a good book to begin with Scala if you are already well experienced with Java or some similar language. However, it is not too detailed. And that helps to keep you focused on the important stuff. Finished in a week. I kept Odersky's Programming in Scala as a companion to this one.
Andrea
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite the title this is not to be considered a fast-forward guide which does not go into details. It has just the right amount of details to start. Much more useful than oderky's guide if you are aiming to be productive with the language in no much time.
John Fourkiotis
The book is very good as an introduction to Scala. However the later chapters that describe the advanced Scala features are too short. You won't learn when to use what features from this book, as their description is a little bit shallow.
Patrick Barker
Oct 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the perfect scala into book for me. I prefer to get started building things and then understand the theory. So I bought this along with Odersky's book, and it has served me well. I find myself continuously referencing the examples here.
Dmitry
May 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of people recommend this book as a good start point for learning the Scala, so I've followed their words and read it. After all I agree that book is a good enough (but not ideal though) and it definitely will not be mistaken to start your Scala journey with this book.
Sue Spence
Jun 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not really finished in the traditional sense. I use this book as a sort of reference when playing around with the scala language.
Fons Haffmans
Dec 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a quick and concise overview of the scala programming language.

• Building Microservices: Designing Fine-Grained Systems
  • Effective Java
  • The Manager's Path: A Guide for Tech Leaders Navigating Growth and Change
  • Cracking the Coding Interview: 150 Programming Questions and Solutions
  • Programming in Scala
  • Functional Programming, Simplified: (Scala edition)
  • Java Concurrency in Practice
  • Akka in Action
  • The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master
  • Domain-Driven Design: Tackling Complexity in the Heart of Software

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »