Start by marking “Legacy: What the All Blacks Can Teach Us About the Business of Life” as Want to Read:
Legacy: What the All Blacks Can Teach Us About the Business of Life

Legacy: What the All Blacks Can Teach Us About the Business of Life

Champions do extra.
They sweep the sheds.
They follow the spearhead.
They keep a blue head.

In Legacy, best-selling author James Kerr goes deep into the heart of the world’s most successful sporting team, the legendary All Blacks of New Zealand, to reveal 15 powerful and practical lessons for leadership and business.

Legacy is a unique, inspiring handbook for leaders in all fi
Published November 7th 2013 by Constable

To ask other readers questions about Legacy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Legacy

Start your review of Legacy: What the All Blacks Can Teach Us About the Business of Life
Rachel C.
Work book club selection. My overall impression: a sloppy mishmash of Maori folk wisdom and sound bites from other (better) books.

For a book about a sports team, Kerr fails to provide any real history for the All Blacks (including how they got that name), or any context about the game of rugby, a sport I know next to nothing about. This might have been fine in a book for rugby fans but this book is targeted at people in the business world.

All that aside, here's the main problem with books like t
Aug 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Notes to self (because I read this for an interview):

If our values and beliefs are aligned with the values and beliefs of the organization, then we will work harder towards its success.

Martin Luther King 'gave the "I have a dream" speech, not the "I have a plan" speech... If you hire people who believe what you believe, they'll work for you with blood, sweat and tears.'

Seek the treasure you value most dearly; if you bow your head, let it be to a lofty mountain.

The first stage of learning is sile
Thomas Kane-Berman
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
“Sweep the Sheds” is a phrase that is said throughout Legacy, and is the main philosophy of this book. The inspirational book Legacy by James Kerr is a powerful message that comes in the shape of a rectangle. With motivation and life lessons on every page, you are set up for success with this book. You are able to become a person you never thought you could be and help others discover who they can be as well.

James Kerr wrote an International Best Seller as his first piece of work. Legacy has t
Carmen
Jul 10, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audible-reads
Much too long of a book for lessons that were encapsulated in 1 quote that was repeated throughout the book : “champions do extra.” They plan for succession, they clean up after themselves, they learn from the mistakes, etc. only giving 2 stars because of the occasional anecdote about the team. Otherwise, not a worthwhile read.
Robert Postill
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business, sport
After reading some great books on leadership I was really looking forward to this. Unfortunately this book does not fall in the same category of both inspiring and practical.

The first thing to note is that book summarises other books and approaches. A lot. Viewed with a cynical eye the book is a reading list of the titles of the books you might want to read instead. This also has the effect of making the book feel flimsy. Second, the character sketches feel somehow incomplete, unable to transfer
magdalena dyjas
And now I need to watch All Blacks play rugby to see whether their leadership lessons work... 😉
Dawid Steenkamp
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Legacy is a cliche-ridden guide to success that has more catchy one-liners than a silicon valley startup guide. With so many forced rugby analogies it feels like it was written by my high school rugby coach.

I am sure there will be people who find this type of book inspirational. If that is your cup of tea then great.

I was interested in the structure of a team like the All Blacks and what made them so successful. If I wanted a guide to success in business and life I’d read something more appropri
Kyle
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A must read for any coach, this book identifies 15 lessons on leadership learned from the All Blacks New Zealand rugby team. Really good stuff!!

“Sweep the Sheds - Never be too big to do the small things that need to be done.”
Zoe Routh
Jun 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
A lovely poetic book filled with quotes, stories and principles that uplift and inspire. I enjoyed it.
Jelmer Smits
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book made the impression on me of that of a student's master thesis. The author has picked an incredibly interesting and complex subject, but studies it in a manner way too broad. He never really comes into specifics and hence fails to deliver true quality on the subject. A real structure is missing, random references are plentiful, indeed the tempo is off. It's like a thesis that has plenty potential, but should've received a lot more guidance from professors and co-readers in order to nar ...more
Jurgen Rose
Oct 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Mashup of a lot of big ideas. A good rollup but not much originality.

The big ideas I liked:
Importance of mission command concept and harnessing initiative and innovation of the team.
Few organizations really interrogate the connection between strategy and structure, between an overall vision and the actions that take place over a working week...its all about learning and improving.
Saying YES to high performance means first saying NO...people think focus means saying yes to the thing you have got
Glyn Blaize
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic Book - and the author is just as fantastic in person. What is excellent is that James manages to extrapolate from the success of the All Blacks the key strands of their DNA in a way which can be applied to business, relationships and life in general, to the point that when phrases like ‘sweeping the shed’ are used you just get it.
This is a great read for managers, coaches and observers alike. I have now read it twice.
Kent Winward
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Hey, business (I own a couple) and rugby (I still play) combined into a book means I have to give this five stars, even if it only probably merits four, but for my particular brand of me, it worked. I enjoyed looking at my business through the eyes of playing rugby and team dynamics.
Library at Oxley
A rugby match is a short, intense lifetime lived across two 40 minute halves, from the hopeful birth of the game to the crushing or triumphant end. Each game involves the sort of challenges many of us encounter over much greater lengths of time, often many years; self-doubt, arrogance, unrealistic expectations, opposition, injury, high stakes outcomes, trust, ego, intimidation and responsibility for others. A rugby team is a group of warriors facing a battle that is more than just physical, it i ...more
Baxter Hodge
Feb 14, 2022 rated it liked it
I’ll preface this review by disclosing that i’m a bit of a book snob who has never enjoyed the “self help” genre.

BLUF: Perfectly fine book if you love rugby, want a light read, and/or are wanting to brain storm about leadership and organizational change. This book will definitely provide you some insight and introduction to some helpful vocabulary.

Weakness: The book doesn’t have a coherent narrative, analysis, or argument and I don’t think it even attempted to. It’s essentially a compilation of
James Wain
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Listened to this on audiobook and thoroughly enjoyed the first 3-4 chapters, but then felt it faded slightly towards the end. Some excellent tips and anecdotes for life, work and the general self however; well worth a quick read.

Quite a lot of the statements are quotes / sound bites from other books, and although making it very well researched with some nice quotes, it does lack a degree of original thinking. Instead seems to have looked at the All Blacks success, then subsequently researched l
Ian Constable
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The All Black way of life. Drawing from the experience of other top tier organizations like the United States Marine Corps to Apple, the science of performance psychology and coaching, and the ancient wisdom of the Maori people, the All Blacks have built their organization into one of the most successful of all time. This book details their leadership and team-building practices which are universally applicable.
José
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
What's your legacy? Are you ready to prepare the next leader of your team? Do you want to learn how to the all blacks prepare their leaders? This is an inspiring story on how emblematic teams are build. What are their core values. And how those values are promoted and passed through time. In my opinion a must read for any leader. ...more
Ellis Nickson
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring

One of the best leadership/sport related books I've read for a long time. Have learnt so much that I will be looking to implement into my own profession. Great work James Kerr
Jay Dwight
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not a huge reader of management books, but enjoyed this one.

Plenty of learnings from the All Blacks culture and systems that can be applied to business, and to life.

Written in an easy to digest format.
Jack Adams
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pretty good overview on the leadership culture within the All Blacks and how that helps them be successful and maintain an image.

Lots of useful parts and draws from a range of different sources.

Great book
João Bastos
Sep 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Nice writing combined with lots references and a easy to follow lesson-based structure make up for a good read.

Sadly, not as in-depth as I'd expect in terms of practical examples from ab All Blacks perspective and a few of the lesson's details are somewhat generic.

Overall good read!
Arianne Bergeron
Jan 22, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Impressed by all the work that went into this book. The references, the knowledge, the research... Not all principles were new to me, but they're certainly presented in a new way. This book definetly has become a standard for the books I will read in the future. ...more
Bernie
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Applicable to leaders everywhere. Invaluable mentoring for coaches wanting to explore the mental development of their teams.
Eskild Walnum
May 18, 2022 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ledelse, non-fiction
What is there to say? Should have read it years ago…
Ben Swanson
May 19, 2022 rated it really liked it
Sweep the sheds
Nicky Billou
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredible book. Blew me away! I learned, I was inspired, I was energized.

What more can you ask from a book?
Anthony Van Eeckhout
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great, inspiring and practical lessons applicable to businesses everywhere. It helped me define and shape the leader I aspire to be in the future.
Shannon
Jun 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A must read for any coach or leader!
Pete Wung
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book came highly recommended by a number of coaches whose opinion I respect, even though it is yet another business book which touts their own brand of motivation/leadership credentials. This book is unique because it tries to document the keys to success of one of the most mythical teams in world sports: the All Blacks of New Zealand. Indeed, their story has a magnetic attraction for those coaches who are believers in the simplicity and honesty of the All Black approach to working playing, ...more

• High Performance: Lessons from the Best on Becoming Your Best
  • The Captain Class: The Hidden Force that Creates the World's Greatest Teams
  • The Barcelona Way: Unlocking the DNA of a Winning Culture
  • Eleven Rings: The Soul of Success
  • The Score Takes Care of Itself: My Philosophy of Leadership
  • Belonging: The Ancient Code of Togetherness: The book that inspired the England football team
  • Relentless: From Good to Great to Unstoppable
  • War Room
  • Little Black Stretchy Pants: Story of lululemon by the Founder, Chip Wilson (unauthorized)
  • The Mindful Athlete: Secrets to Pure Performance
  • The Culture Code: The Secrets of Highly Successful Groups
  • Bounce: Mozart, Federer, Picasso, Beckham, and the Science of Success
  • My Life and Rugby: The Autobiography
  • Wooden on Leadership: How to Create a Winning Organization
  • The Champion's Mind: How Great Athletes Think, Train, and Thrive
  • The Pressure Principle: Handle Stress, Harness Energy, and Perform When It Counts
  • Conscious Coaching: The Art and Science of Building Buy-In
  • Black Box Thinking: Why Some People Never Learn from Their Mistakes - But Some Do
See top shelves…
Librarian Note: There is more than one author by this name in the Goodreads database.