Start by marking “The Time of the Fireflies” as Want to Read:
The Time of the Fireflies

The Time of the Fireflies

Critically acclaimed author Kimberley Griffiths Little spins a thrilling story of one girl's race to unravel the curse that has haunted her family for generations.

When Larissa Renaud starts receiving eerie phone calls on a disconnected old phone in her family's antique shop, she knows she's in for a strange summer. A series of clues leads her to the muddy river banks, whe
Published July 29th 2014 by Scholastic

Start your review of The Time of the Fireflies
Pamela
Aug 05, 2016 rated it did not like it
Back to the library this goes - unfinished. I stopped at page 222. The magical realism aspects - mystical fireflies, supernatural phone calls, time-travel - all great stuff. I was enjoying the heck out of this quirky tween read.

Until.....

Evil possessed dolls, dark arts, and voodoo began blackening the story. Literally, I became physically nauseous. So I closed the book and praised God for His light and His love, and moved on to the next book in my library stack.

Whether or not Christ is your s
Kimberley Little
Nov 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
How can I not rate this gorgeous book anything but 5 stars? It's got mystery, magic, time-slipping, and family secrets/curses. :-) The cover alone is 10 stars!
Kirsten Werk
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Kimberley Griffiths Little has written another beautiful, mysterious, and captivating story set in the bayous of Louisiana. Great if this is your first of Little's books you are reading and even
better if you've read the companion books, The Healing Spell, Circle of Secrets, or When the Butterflies Came. Time of the Fireflies tells two stories simultaneously as Larissa travels back in time through the help of some fireflies to see events unfold of her family's ancestors that help her solve the pr
Aeicha
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Mysterious phones calls + a very creepy doll + time travel + buried family secrets + one determined and courageous young heroine = a thrilling middle-grade adventure full of addicting mystery, captivating storytelling, and immensely felt heart...Kimberley Griffiths Little’s The Time of the Fireflies is all this and more!

Haunted by a near-death accident, young Larissa Renaud is not having an ideal summer. When she receives a mysterious phone call, from an unplugged, not hooked up to anything anti
Olga Godim
Jul 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
I might’ve liked this book better if I was 30 years younger. Age and constant reading add experience, and what might’ve flied for a silly child doesn’t satisfy a mature reader.
The book starts well. The heroine, twelve-year-old Larissa, lives above an antique store with her parents, who own the store. When one of the ancient telephones for sale at the store suddenly rings, even though it’s not connected to anything, Larissa picks up the receiver. What she hears on that phone sends her on a journ
Half_Fictional
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What I think EVERYONE should know before you read this book, is that, if you don't like creepy dolls, don't read this book. Other than that, it was a very good book and I would recommend it to ages 10-12.
Alex  Baugh
Sep 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: randomly-reading
It's summer vacation and Larissa Renaud, 12, isn't really looking forward to it. Her best friend is off to Paris with her grandmother and Larissa hasn't any other friends. But what she does have is a serious scar running down the side of her face, gotten when she almost drowned in the Bayou Teche a year ago after falling from the broken bridge that once crossed over it on a dare. Ironically, her Aunt Gwen had actually drowned the same way.

Now, living over the antique shop her parents had opened
Ana
May 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
this was an amazing book and has a permanent place on my shelf and a special place in my heart.
I feel that what our main character Larissa goes through in this book is very relatable and I felt myself tearing up at some points in the story as she went through so much to save her family.
To me it was a take on real problems that people go through with a magical twist that is used to both draw people in as well as bring forth different points about the world.
I won't spoil the book here though, I in
Nikki
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What should I talk about? I don't want to spoil the mystery... Okay. Oh my gosh, the creepy doll. I didn't expect to be spooked by this book, but creepy dolls do it every time. Still, this story has so much more - real heart, real problems in the family, and the continuation of a story I was dying to read. So glad I got to read this one early!!
Gretchen Shuler
May 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is such a delightful story!!! I loved it! It's spine chilling and heart warming at the same time!!!!! I definitely recommend this book! Five stars!!!!
zapkode
Aug 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
{My Thoughts} – Larissa is your average twelve year-old girl. She has a mother and a father and soon is going to become a big sister. However, she also lives in an antique shop that is very strange and she is getting off phone calls from dead phones with no connection.

A year ago she almost drowned, she doesn’t recall much of the situation or what had happened during that time period but she does know that she came awfully close to death. She also knows that her aunt Gwen had tragically died in a
Rosalyn Eves
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Kimberley Griffiths Little's Time of the Fireflies is a charming middle grade story that combines creepy (a weird voodoo doll) with a lovely family saga.

Twelve year old Larissa is struggling with life in the town where her family lived for generations, but where she is a relative newcomer. Sensitive about the scar on her face and worried about her mother's pregnancy (past ones haven't gone well), Larissa is just trying to get through the summer, spending her days helping her parents at the famil
Fran
Sep 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a great read! I have to admit that it is true what they say ... "You can't judge a book by its cover." The cover is okay, but the story is magnificent! Larissa Renaud finds herself helping her parents run their antique store in the town where her mother grew up. She's had an accident with local kids that nearly cost her life. Things feel really strange, because her mother's sister lost her life in nearly the same way. A spooky pattern seems to emerge day by day. There is an old doll that ...more
Aliza Purificacion
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Larissa is a young girl who is not other girls. She is not like other girls because her face has a scar. The scar is basically from where a girl pushed Larissa off a bridge. Which is called the Bayou Bridge. When Larissa gets a unfamiliar phone call. The phone is talking about her family's history and how they had a bad past with this doll. The doll has been passed through several generations from Larissa’s family. Larissa thinks that the doll is cursed.

I would recommend this book to some of my
Amy Lou
Mar 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I am absolutely astonished. The back of my copy says it is fit for fourth to seventh graders. I think fifth to eighth would be more appropriate. Don't get me wrong, the story wasn't inappropriate, but some of the content might be a little too creepy for fourth graders. I loved it! However, if you were looking for a cute story (like I was expecting) about a little girl going out to the quiet lake and spending time with the beautiful fireflies, who talked, and became friends with them, you ar ...more
Linda
Jul 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Magical thinking and intelligent deductions mark the protagonist on the edge of leaving childhood. That, more than anything, makes this book worthwhile reading.
Kate
Jul 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So good! I can't described how good it is so good and it teaches you something! So good! love it! wish I had a copy of the book!
Elisa
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It never got boring and I couldn't put it down
Kirsten Phang
In this book Larissa Renaud receives mysterious phone calls from a strange girl. She goes back and forth between the past and present getting clues from this person. She hides in the past but it's hard not to get caught. She then learns not to mess with things she is not part of. She alters some things in the past meant to be kept the same. The mysterious voice on the phone is actually her in the future trying to help her past self.
Jen
Apr 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This was a rather quick read when I actually had time to sit down and read it. As a middle grade book, I expected to move through it at a decent pace and I was not disappointed. It flowed well.

The seeing was the South, Louisiana I believe. I have only been there once, and that was to New Orleans, but the book took me back. The diction was flavored with word usage and placement that sounded Southern to me. Full confession time, I'm a Yankee, born, bred and raised, so the book may not be "true" So
Candy
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: j-books
Time of the Fireflies
Kimberley Griffiths Little
Fantasy/ Mystery

Review: Larissa Renaud has just recently turned twelve and she feels like her life cannot get any worse. A year ago her family moved back to Bayou Bridge where her mother grew up and where tragedy has struck her family time and time again. The newest tragedy was Larissa’s and it almost cost her life. Now Larissa is getting mysterious calls from a girl who only gives her vague answers on a telephone that isn’t even connected. The girl
Susana

Arc provided by Scholastic through Netgalley

Normally I don't have any problem reading the so called "Middle Grade" books. In fact I have been lucky enough to have been reading some amazing well written, and spell binding stories that could place the so called adult ones, to shame.

Now _DUE TO THAT _ I may have temporarily forgotten that middle grade books are intended for middle grade...readers. Which I am most definitely NOT.

I am currently thirty five years old. Therefore I am afraid that
Jennifer_E1
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jette Y
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this book at the beginning of the year and it was my favorite. Larissa Renaud is an average girl who has a huge scar on her face from when mean kids pushed her from under a dock, since has a huge scar on her face she doesn't really have any good friends except for her best friend. Her parents own an antique shop with lots of strange and peculiar stuff such as This old doll that they've had since forever or at least that's what they think. When she gets a call from a disconnected phone, sh ...more
Heather Jensen
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Library Lady
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
As others have said, if I were a kid I'd probably like this more. As an adult I can see that the plot is hokey, full of holes and coincidences. The end is perfect to an unbelievable degree--every problem solved, every possible happy thing happening. The writing itself is good, and Larissa herself is pretty believable--that's what kept me reading, if not believing in this book.

P.S. I was curious about Larissa's dad calling her "Shar", and looked it up. Perhaps this is some obscure variation of th
Fred
Sep 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: younger-readers
This was a sweet and tender read, poignant with love of family and rich with the mystery of the past. Larissa is a charming character, resilient and brave. Which is good, because she's going to need all her gumption once she begins receiving those mysterious whispery phone calls, and hanging out with some fireflies with an agenda. A great story, with lovely themes of redemption, looking beneath the surface, and self-acceptance. The writing is poetic and lovely too. A great read, especially good ...more
Kristina
Feb 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Time of the fireflies, is exciting, mysterious, CREEPY, and so much fun! I especially love the exploration of family history in this book and the lessons Larissa learns through her connections to the past. I love the lesson that our life is bigger than the present and there is so much to be gained by looking both back and forward.
Susan
May 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
All of Little's bayou books are fantastic! While THE TIME OF THE FIREFLIES isn't my favorite of them (that would be THE HEALING SPELL or CIRCLE OF SECRETS), it's definitely worth picking up. With a lush, vivid setting; an intriguing family mystery; and some fun magical elements, it's a great read for both kids and adults. Good luck not getting sucked into it and the whole series!
anna
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is like my favorite book ever! Really, I was looking for a book to read, and I came across it, so I took a look, and couldn't put it down!
I didn't realize that the other books came first.
Even my sister came over and asked about it, and she wanted to read the telephone part. I think I creeped my brother out by the doll, but oh well
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Mighty Miss Malone
  • 11 Birthdays (Willow Falls, #1)
  • Class Dismissed
  • Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library (Mr. Lemoncello's Library #1)
  • The Haunting of Charity Delafield
  • Finding Serendipity (Tuesday McGillycuddy, #1)
  • Beyond the Kingdoms (The Land of Stories, #4)
  • An Author's Odyssey (The Land of Stories, #5)
  • Starry River of the Sky
  • Night of the Living Dummy (Goosebumps, #7)
  • The Enchantress Returns (The Land of Stories, #2)
  • Worlds Collide (The Land of Stories, #6)
  • A Grimm Warning (The Land of Stories, #3)
  • A Tale of Magic... (A Tale of Magic, #1)
  • A Night in Terror Tower  (Goosebumps, #27)
  • Ghost Beach  (Goosebumps, #22)
  • Night of the Living Dummy II (Goosebumps, #31)
  • The Scarecrow Walks at Midnight (Goosebumps, #20)
Kimberley Griffiths Little was born in San Francisco, but now lives in New Mexico with her husband and their three sons.

For such award-winning middle grade novels as When the Butterflies Came, The Last Snake Runner, The Healing Spell, and Circle of Secrets, her writing has been praised as "fast-paced and dramatic," with "characters painted in memorable detail" and "beautifully realized settings."