Start by marking “Cibola Burn (Expanse, #4)” as Want to Read:
Cibola Burn (Expanse, #4)

Cibola Burn

(The Expanse #4)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  44,805 ratings  ·  2,620 reviews
The fourth novel in James S.A. Corey’s New York Times bestselling Expanse series

The gates have opened the way to thousands of habitable planets, and the land rush has begun. Settlers stream out from humanity's home planets in a vast, poorly controlled flood, landing on a new world. Among them, the Rocinante, haunted by the vast, posthuman network of the protomolecule as th
Published June 17th 2014 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about Cibola Burn, please sign up.
Joshua Lense Good news everyone! Hachette Audio confirmed that a new version of Cibola Burn audio book narrated by Jefferson Mays will release March of this year!…moreGood news everyone! Hachette Audio confirmed that a new version of Cibola Burn audio book narrated by Jefferson Mays will release March of this year! proof: http://imgur.com/gallery/4HXCw(less)

·  44,805 ratings  ·  2,620 reviews

Neil Hepworth
This book was the clunker to end all clunkers. The dud to end all duds. The turd in your soup, if you will. In other words, it was a bad book.

First of all, the book can’t figure out it’s own plot. Twenty pages in and the book thinks it’s going to be about immigration, evil corporations and land rights. Oh, but then it’s not. Halfway in and the book thinks it’s going to be about natural disasters. But then it’s about killer slugs and orbital decay?...neither of which was interesting. At the end,
Kemper
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In The Expanse humanity has spread out among our solar system, and there have been decades of political tension and hostility among the people of Earth, Mars, and the Belters of the Outer Planetary Alliance. The events of the previous books have resulted in the unlocking of a system of wormhole gates that puts literally a thousand habitable new worlds and all their natural resources within reach.

All the people put their differences aside to begin a new golden age of peace and prosperity as they
Hannah Greendale
After taking almost three hundred pages to find its stride, Cibola Burn launches its readers into a tense, high-stakes adventure that lasts to the final page.
Gary
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The fourth Expanse novel is a bit of a sea change – though a perfectly logical progression from the game-changing events of Abaddon’s Gate. This time the crew of the Rocinante is tasked with mediating a potentially disastrous dispute between corporate interests and belter squatters on the first habitable world discovered on the other side of the ring.
Thrilling action, nail-biting suspense and complex characters are, by now, par for the course in what has become the most consistently and spectac
Choko
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
*** 4.25 ***

"... “It was astounding, Bobbie thought, how quickly humanity could go from What unimaginable intelligence fashioned these soul-wrenching wonders? to Well, since they’re not here, can I have their stuff?” ..."

The authors of "The Expanse" series came through again! With a flair for storytelling and a well build set-up to a series starting from book one, "Cibola Burn" comes to us with a set of givens and expectations. The givens are the great world-building, characters we already kno
Bradley
Re-Read 9/25/18:

This second read went down SMOOTH. :) Sure, we're out of the Solar System and Holden is attempting to play peacemaker rather than the lone voice of truth, but what he's got on his shoulders is the one-eye'd king in the land of the blind syndrome... AND massive conflict. Not whole Powers breathing down his neck this time, but things get really hairy out on the frontier where law and order is played fast and loose.

Yep. It's a cowboy novel featuring slugs that blind you, a planet li
Alex Ristea
Never fear folks, the Expanse is back and better than ever! From recent news, we can expect five more novels and I couldn't be a happier bookworm.

Cibola Burn is a massively exciting sci-fi novel—the summer blockbuster of the fiction world. Now, that's not saying that it doesn't have it's deep and emotional moments, but let's face it: we love reading these books because things go boom in space, and futuristic technology kicks ass.

Let me tell you just how good it is. I thought I'd sit down and rea
Jordan Rose
I finished it, due in large part because of my love for the Expanse series overall, as I devoured Leviathan Wakes thru Abaddon's Gate in short order. Cibola Burn, however, fell short of my expectations for many reasons, most of which have already been detailed in previous reviews.

First, the new characters. Basia's story arc was probably the most interesting of the newcomers yet, even still, I found myself becoming bored with his predictability. Havelock, for the most part, I found myself wanting
Justin
Sep 04, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
This series as a whole is so poorly-named, that it borders on false advertising. For an ongoing story collectively called The Expanse, each successive book has become smaller, and smaller in scope. Leviathan Wakes had a solar system-wide war, with entire planetary bodies being irrevocably altered in the conflict. Caliban's War had virtually the same plot, but with some different characters, and felt lesser by its very derivative nature. Abaddon's Gate centered on an enclosed area of space, with ...more
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2014/06/25/b...

The Expanse is probably my science fiction series right now, and I think Cibola Burn is the best installment yet.

Why, you ask? Well, unlike the previous books, which I felt started off slow but gradually built up to bigger and better action, Cibola Burn breaks this pattern and kicks things off right away with an explosive conflict you can’t ignore. The mysterious proto-molecule that somehow created a massive ring structu
Samir
Oct 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not on the same level as the previous installments but still good.
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
4.0 Stars

This might be my least favourite book in the series so far, but that doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy it. At this point, I find it comforting to read about my beloved recurring characters.

I was particularly intrigued by the political uncertainty outlined in the beginning of the novel. I really enjoy reading about the tension between the various interplanetary groups. Unfortunately, the story didn't quite live up to the potential of this setup. A few of the new characters were a bit fla
Vladimir
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, owned-read
I dalje odlična zabava.. kraj malo škripi ali sve u svemu ja sam zadovoljan!!!

Sa nestrpljenjem čekam nastavak...!!!
Trish
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's utterly fitting that this fourth volume in the The Expanse series is about the exploration of an entirely new planet in another solar system since it is also the first book where I don't know what will happen because the TV show has not caught up to the book series yet.

After the protomolecule has built the Ring and humans have gone through, finding the station connecting us to all kinds of planetary systems, humans want to leave Sol and live some place else. The problem? Well, it's mostly
Lori
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot better than the last one, still some bits where I lost interest.

The regular cast is great. Alex and Naomi got bigger parts. Miller is back from the word salad either.

"You’re like Peter Pan, she says. When a child died, Peter Pan would fall halfway with them. So they wouldn’t be scared.

Weird. And that’s a kid’s story? Anyway, it’s not me, the investigator says (Miller), smiles at her. Holds her hand. I don’t go for half."

Although these guys don't have any problem with killing characters, I
Mr. Matt
Jul 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, aliens, sci-fi
Just when I thought I was getting tired of the Expanse ... Cibola Burn takes humanity through the mysterious gates built by the protomolecule, to a thousand habitable worlds. The new worlds promise a rebirth for humanity. No more population controls, no more crowded, polluted planets, no more scraping a subsistence living in an air pocket on a planetoid. A thousand Edens await; however, as Detective Miller reminds us, you gotta watch the doors and corners.

Just because humanity made it to a new E
Algernon
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
[9/10]
The fourth book in the Expanse Universe continues the tradition of reinventing the series with each new installment. If the first one was a mix of hard-boiled detective investigation and zombie apocalypse in space, the second was mostly about open warfare between the main three factions in the future Solar System (The Earth, Mars and the Outer Planets alliance), the third a homage to Arthur C Clarke Rama novels, the best way I can find to characterize the latest is "cowboys and aliens", wi
Rob
Executive Summary: This one felt very different from the rest of the series to me. Whether or not that is a good thing will largely depend on the reader I suspect.

Audio book: Erik Davies is OK. Originally I was pretty indifferent about the narrator change for this book. I was never particularly attached to Jefferson Mays. I had sort of of hoped that as this was the first book released in hardcover maybe the change was due to them getting a better reader.

Turns out that wasn't the case. For the m
James Trevino
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I think of this as a stand alone sci-fi book it would probably get a 5 star rating. But this is part of The Expanse series and so far it is the weakest of them all. That should tell you how much I love this series.

Ciobola Burn is slower than the previous volumes and, just like them, it introduces a some new POVs next to the ones of the Roccinante crew. The problem here is that the new POVs all fail to some extent. Basia, Elvi and Havelock are interesting characters but they don't come out goo
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
I love this series – the plot, the characters, the humor, the world building… all of it. I was excited for this one in particular because when I first started The Expanse a couple of years ago I thought it was only going to be a trilogy. Cibola Burn (and Nemesis Games) felt like bonus books. I’m super thrilled the story is not over!!!

As always, this Expanse book had an excellent mix of familiar and new POV characters – an element that has always kept these novels fresh and exciting for me. Of al
Veronique
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 - 4th book in series

“Captain,” Amos said with mock surprise. “Have you actually learned from your past? Is this a new thing you do now?”

It is becoming a monthly treat to come back to the Expanse to have my next fix. As per the other novels, the narration is shared by Holden on one side, the constant, and a new set of characters on the other. I love it that certain secondary protagonists do keep appearing since this reinforces the world-building. I also really appreciated how Corey doesn't j
Robyn
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I found the challenges of the planet, the scientists rushing around to save things, Holden's interactions with the protomolecule, the idea of a new frontier, etc all absolutely fascinating and lots of fun. But I didn't like the moustache-twirling evil villain (I found him unbelievable) or the lack of female viewpoints in this. (Elvi is a great character but also problematic.) Man oh man, though, I am looking forward to the next one!
Veronica
A new book in this exciting space opera means a new crisis for Holden and his crew to face. The gates to hundreds of new worlds have been flung open and mankind – not having actually earned this discovery through any effort of its own – is eager to charge through the door, taking all of its ingrained prejudices with it.

"A vast new frontier has opened up for us. We have the chance to create a new society, with untold riches beyond every gate. But this world has treasure, so instead of figuring o
Kevin Kelsey
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A departure in their method of storytelling. It's nice to see that the authors aren't one trick ponies. In some ways this might be the strongest entry in the expanse yet. In other ways, it isn't quite as strong. I have a hard time placing my finger on why exactly, but it's not my favorite. I suspect that it will be a favorite for many though. It's wickedly fun, and a solid entry in a terrific series. Now the waiting for 'Nemesis Games' begins.
Dara
Made it a little past 25%. I hate all of the POV characters. The plot has no depth or nuance. Everything escalates to violence at the drop of a hat, making the story boring and predictable. I hope the TV series improve on the books because there's so much potential.

UPDATE:
Turns out that I lemmed the book right before it got good and interesting. I stick by some of my previous assertions (escalating to violence quickly, POV characters aren't great) but the story did find some urgency and complexi
Richard
Mar 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
7.5/10

Another enjoyable outing in what is probably the best sci-fi series I've read so far to date. Whilst not the best in the series for me, there are new themes addressed here with a slight shift from the previous novels. The layout is the same, 4 different POV's with only Holden been the link from the last ones (excluding prologue and epilogue) but a slight change being that this one starts off quite intense as supposed to the others which are slow builders.

I liked the pacing of this novel, w
Olivia
Feb 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I'm a bit disappointed that the authors keep introducing new characters, just after I finally got attached to the new characters introduced in the previous books. I miss Avasarala, is all I'm really saying.

Cibola Burn feels like the weakest book so far. The strength of this series is the crew and here they're mostly separated from each other.

I must admit, I was a bit bored this time around. The characters came across as passive, mostly just swept around by the plot. The antagonist feels very ge
Sanaa
Apr 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
[3.5 Stars] It's not the best book in the series, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading this one. It's a lot of the same from before which is why this doesn't get as high of a rating as the others. It's good, very good, but not as exciting as the previous books (or as ingenious).
Mpauli
That book is rather difficult to judge and I thought long and hard about it. It has 4 star moments, like the scenes with the recurring cast, the interludes and the epilogue that hints towards the return of some beloved characters from the second book.

Unfortunately the rest of the book lost me completely. A year has passed after the events of the last book and humans start to colonize new planets.
And already on the first planet we have issues between the Belter settlers and a UN research company
Jason
May 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2014
5 Stars

This is such an amazing series. It has everything for the sci-fi geek to love. Each book brings something new to the table and all feature such an amazing cast.

I truly love this series and cannot wait to read more.

I highly recommend this series to science fiction lovers. This is a blockbuster series that will appeal to a large fan base. These books are so much freaking fun to read...Go and get them...
  • Earth Below, Sky Above (The Human Division, #13)
  • Edge of Infinity
  • Heaven's Queen  (Paradox #3)
  • Necessary Evil (Milkweed Triptych, #3)
  • The Evolutionary Void
  • On the Steel Breeze (Poseidon's Children, #2)
  • Zero Point (Owner Trilogy, #2)
  • Ancillary Sword (Imperial Radch, #2)

The Expanse (9 books)
  • Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse, #1)
  • Caliban's War (The Expanse, #2)
  • Abaddon's Gate (The Expanse, #3)
  • Nemesis Games (The Expanse, #5)
  • Babylon's Ashes (The Expanse, #6)
  • Persepolis Rising (The Expanse, #7)
  • Tiamat's Wrath (The Expanse, #8)
  • Untitled (The Expanse, #9)
“Right,” Holden said. “No coffee. This is a terrible, terrible planet.” 44 likes
“Later, when you're wishing we had this stuff, I am going to be merciless in my mockery. And then we'll die.” 27 likes