Start by marking “Does This Insecurity Make Me Look Fat?” as Want to Read:
Does This Insecurity Make Me Look Fat?

Does This Insecurity Make Me Look Fat?

4.48  ·  Rating details ·  81 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
• Why do clothing stores hang fun-house mirrors in their dressing rooms?

• The laundry doesn’t cry when it’s not folded, so why should I?

• Can I be confident even if an elevator calls me fat?

Michelle Wilson’s humorous yet poignant insights help women examine the limitations we place on ourselves out of insecurity and self-doubt. We have faith in God, but do we know that He
Published 2013 by Deseret Book

To ask other readers questions about Does This Insecurity Make Me Look Fat?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Does This Insecurity Make Me Look Fat?

Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Sometimes you read a book that leaves a permanent mark on your brain and your soul. This was that kind of book for me. This is a non-fiction book, religious in nature, full of inspiration, good advice and the pep talk that can get you through life's challenges. This book is geared mostly to the LDS audience, but I do believe that women of any faith would be better for reading this book.

This was the perfect book to start out the new year. I'm not a resolution maker but I do believe in constantly
Mckenna Gardner
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A critically important read for the stoutly secure. A life-changing one for the rest of us.

The author's stories connect with the reader like a punch to the face - a really funny, soul-searching, insightful punch to the face. I love her wit, her way of linking everyday life with essential eternal principles, and her ability to call us to action.

Two thumbs way up for "Does This Insecurity Make Me Look Fat?" by Michelle Wilson! I can't wait to see what she creates next!
Melanie
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When I first read this title, I laughed and knew this was a book I wanted to read. I enjoyed Ms. Wilson's writing style and found myself laughing a lot throughout her book. She shares her experiences that have taught her different principles. One of the largest points she makes in her book is perspective and the importance of seeing ourselves with God's perspective, which will then help each of us see our true worth.

She shares some great personal stories. One that made me laugh hard was when she
Jinky
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was for me. I was already bawling by page ten! I was in tears intermittently throughout the book because I'm going through some insecurities now and therefore could relate to the anxieties the author illustrated. Plus, the scriptural references had me feeling loved and understood so the water works of comfort came easily. I was reminded that life throws each of us a variety of Enemies of Perspective (false reality) but having the right Perspective (way God views things) to combat them ...more
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
When I saw the title of the book, Does This Insecurity Make Me Look Fat?, I knew it was a book that I wanted and needed to read.

Michelle Wilson takes a deeper look into our insecurities as women. She takes emotions that everyone feels and brings them into perspective. She talks about eternal perspective. Perspective is with a capital P in her book. A quote that I loved is "The opinion of another person does not define you. It merely shows their view of you. It reflects their reality, not God's.
Ginger
Apr 20, 2014 rated it liked it
I would prefer to give this one 3.5 stars. Why are there no half stars?!

The last two pages are the best part of the book.

While I didn't enjoy the book as much as I had hoped, I will probably keep the book to refer to for YW lesson ideas. For example, she talks about how we are like seeds. Each seed looks different, but we all have the same purpose--to grow into something much more than a seed. Or giving people close-up photographs of items in a room and having them try to figure out what is in t
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great book! Regardless of what you look like or whether you feel secure or insecure, this book is for everyone. Michelle Wilson combines a good sense of humor with touching stories to offer a healthy perspective on ourselves and on life in general. This book is full of great insights.
Erika B. (SOS BOOKS)
Dec 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is all about our stupid insecurities and how to change our outlook in life! I loved it! It made me laugh and think and that is always a good mixture! :D
Kelley
Feb 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Picked this up at the bargain table for under $2. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was uplifting and inspirational. A good combination of fluffy stories and meaty doctrine. I'd recommend it to anyone.
Tracy K
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book!! Michelle Wilson has a unique way of using humor to remind us we are human and its okay to let go of expectations as well as forgive yourself.
Shanda
It’s been a while since I’ve sailed through a nonfiction book as quickly as I did Does This Insecurity Make Me Look Fat?. Only eight pages into it, I read the words Michelle had told herself during her day-long pity party and heard their familiar echo in my mind. Soon I was asking myself, “Who is this woman? And how does she know me so well??”

Michelle’s voice is genuine. Her writing style is fun and easy to read. The stories that she shares in relation to the principles she discusses are quick,
Andrea
Jan 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
I don't spend much of my reading time on non-fiction since more often than not reading non-fiction feels like a bit of a chore. But, when I was given the opportunity to review Michelle Wilson's new book, Does This Insecurity Make Me Look Fat?, I decided it would be a good book to start the new year.

I've had a lot of changes in my life over the past year, and some of the effects have manifested themselves physically. Quite bluntly, I've gained weight and am not happy with larger clothing sizes an
M R
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An amazing book that touches to the very heart of the struggles women in today's world face. Rather than the typical self-help style, this book felt more like encouragement from a friend with a big kick in the pants thrown in to get you motivated. With touching personal moments of embarrassments, success, failure, and humor given for each of the points she talks about, you can't help feeling you are not alone in whatever issues you face, or have faced. Michelle Wilson isn't afraid to dig deep in ...more
Susan Aylworth
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Make room on the bench marked “LDS Women Writers”; there’s a new talent in town. With sparkling wit and timeless wisdom, Michelle Wilson takes on the soul-destroying doubts and fears that encumber so many LDS women in her new Deseret Book release, DOES THIS INSECURITY MAKE ME LOOK FAT?

Using stories from her own life and from others close to her, Wilson starts with the premise that, as daughters of God, we all have limitless potential in the eternities and so much more than most of us ever consid
Melanie Mason
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
For any woman out there who needs a good boost of confidence and guidance to help improve the way you look at yourself, I highly recommend you read...no, inhale, consume, absorb, this book!!!

I give five big gold stars to Michelle Wilson for writing a book that is so full of common sense and practical principles that can help us improve our lives.

From beginning to end I was drawn to the simplicity of this book. I usually don't like self-help books, but this is beyond a simple self-help, this is a
Saralyn
Feb 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: lds-non-fiction
Good messages, but I just didn't overall jive with the book at this particular point in my life.
Marie
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
How could I not read a book with such a great title? Does This Insecurity Make Me Look Fat? by author Michelle Wilson is a funny yet insightful look at the way women frustrate and rob themselves of a rich and fulfilling life.

Our constant comparison of ourselves to others--or to some imaginary and unrealistic standard--often cause us feelings of inadequacy and a lack of self-confidence. Michelle's assertion that if we only understood what our relationship with God could be, and realized that not
Shauna
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
EVERY WOMAN NEEDS TO READ THIS BOOK!

Filled with advice on how to let go of the fear and the doubt and the guilt that most women carry..

Also...

Helps for seeing things with an eternal perspective, learning how to be more confident, believing that we are "stronger than we realize, and extraordinary in every way."

This book will uplift your spirit and make you smile.

FUN stories from Michelle's own life will let you realize you are not alone in the feelings women so often have...but are often so negat
Debbie Williams
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-improvement
This took me a long time to get through. Maybe the truth is too hard to deal with.....Contrary to popular belief, ths has nothing to do with weight. It is about perspective and the way we as children of God listen to the negative voices of the adversary and choose to believe them. Great source of comfort because we tend to be hardest on ourselves. No matter what, our Heavenly Father knows: "You are all right, and everything will be okay, because it's true! You can have confidence in that." Grand ...more
Tristan
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The title is what first interested me. I was expecting to be somewhat disappointed or at least feel unsatisfied. Rather than thinking I could have written a similar book I was quite impressed with how well she did it. Her personal examples are comic relief while illustrating her point. I felt the book was well researched and well written. This is a must read for any woman because we all struggle with insecurity. She quotes Bible stories and Bible verses more often than any other Mormon scripture ...more
Micki Johnson
Nov 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is an awesome book. Michelle is a very tallented author who has a wonderful way of keeping you interested and engaged through her wit & the real-life stories that tie in to the principles she teaches in the book. Through Gospel principles and scriptures and stories, you learn that you are not the only one in this world with insecurities and you are given clear-cut tools that are plainly laid out for you to follow and practice to better yourself and gain more confidence... all with some ...more
Cathy
Aug 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
You know how some books just seem to be written for you? This book was written for me. It spoke to me. I could relate to it so well. Thank you to the author for a job well done. Even though it took me a long time to get through it (and it being such a small book), I had so much going on in my life, but this book always told me things I needed to hear when I did read it. This is one book that you can pick up and read one chapter or even one snippet and it will lift you up and you can relate to it ...more
Michelle Wilson
Feb 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Hi! I'm the author, Michelle Wilson. I wanted to thank you for checking out my book. I love the topic: finding confidence through God's perspective. I infuse real life stories that I hope will make you laugh and even cry (the good cry, lol!) I love how learning to see myself, God, and even my trials through His eyes has changed and strengthened me. I hope you feel the same!

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at authormwilson at gmail dot com. You can also find me at www.miche
Mandi
Apr 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a book that you need to have a couple of different highlighters at the ready. There is so much inspiration and quotes that moved me and that I want to remember. Definitely a great present (maybe with the highlighters) for any woman. I'll reread this one and mark it all up!

(And I love the author, we've met and chatted. She's super cute and funny. One of those that you would never think would have any insecurities. Thanks Michelle, for putting yourself out there.)
Monica
Nov 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fun and insightful Michelle Wilson relates many insecurities women carry about. She covers everything from physical appearance to comparing ourselves to others. She explores our relationship with God and how understanding how he views us is a confidence altering thing. Then by applying this new prospective she encourages the reader to choose to be better and different. Truly inspiring this book is a great read for any girl or woman.
Maria Hoagland
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Give yourself a treat--and I don't mean one you'll feel guilty about in an hour. Every page is a pep talk and a profound way to start the day: reminding yourself of your innate worth. And although the book reiterates that it's what is inside that counts, how could you go wrong with a title that makes you laugh and the gorgeous cover that accompanies it? Michelle Wison tells great stories and couples them with beautiful gospel insights and laugh-out-loud humor. A great book!
Kimberly
May 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, confidence
This is the first book I've read about confidence that has been wonderful! With unique wit, Michelle does a marvelous job of talking about the importance of not only having faith and trust in our Savior, but also believing that because we have that faith we can believe in our abilities and see who we really are. I highly recommend this book to every woman who is struggling with self worth issues.
Lisa Witt
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a wonderful book! The theme was slightly repetitive, but such a great reminder that God loves us, and if we look at ourselves through His eyes, we will see that He loves us and wants the very best for us, and for us to be happy.
Tia
Nov 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. it was motivating and helpful. Sometimes you just need one more person to tell you that you are doing better than you think you are and that everything will be okay before it sinks in.
Mindy
Aug 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
It felt like she Michelle Wilson was inside my head at times, pulling out all the bad things about myself I think. She sure gave me so much to think about and now I stop and think before I bully myself. Thank you so much for this well written and very inspiring book.
« previous 1 3 next »
Michelle Wilson writes inspirational nonfiction and women's fiction. She is the author of DOES THIS INSECURITY MAKE ME LOOK FAT?, THE BEAUTIFUL BALANCE: CLAIMING PERSONAL CONTROL AND GIVING THE REST TO GOD, and THE PERFECT MOM, with other nonfiction and fiction works on the way.

Michelle loves faith, family, food, and laughter. She is an expert at Guitar Hero, has a bad habit of laughing at the wro

Nonfiction Deals

$12.99 $3.99
    $15.99 $2.99
  • By Myself and Then Some
    $11.74 $1.99
  • The Fifth Agreement: A Practical Guide to Self-Mastery (A Toltec Wisdom Book)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • Wish You Happy Forever: What China's Orphans Taught Me About Moving Mountains
    $14.74 $1.99
  • The Return: Fathers, Sons and the Land in Between
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Prize: Who's in Charge of America's Schools?
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Smoke and Pickles: Recipes and Stories from a New Southern Kitchen
    $18.95 $2.99
  • Founding Mothers
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation (Kindle Edition)
  • Around My French Table: More Than 300 Recipes from My Home to Yours
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Ida: A Sword Among Lions
    $8.24 $2.99
  • A Natural History of the Senses (Vintage)
  • Unsinkable: A Memoir
    $7.95 $2.49
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Identical Strangers: A Memoir of Twins Separated and Reunited
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Life of Lobsters: How Fishermen and Scientists Are Unraveling the Mysteries of Our Favorite Crustacean
    $7.99 $1.99