Start by marking “Alastor (Alastor #1-3)” as Want to Read:
Alastor (Alastor #1-3)

Alastor

(Alastor #1-3)

Three young men in strange worlds face dangers, meet tempting girls, and may be saved by the incognito Connatic, ruler of Alastor trillions. Planets have totally different climates and cultures, but evil humans are always greedy.

Trullion: Home of ex-soldier Glinnes, whose brother has sold family island against their late father's wishes. Glinnes plays hussade t
Paperback
Published 1991 by Meulenhoff (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Alastor, please sign up.
John Burns I think this section is really supposed to be for people wanting to know stuff about the book (is it suitable for children, is there an audiobook…moreI think this section is really supposed to be for people wanting to know stuff about the book (is it suitable for children, is there an audiobook version, etc.), not for trivia type questions. There is a quizzes section if you want to make a quiz question for people to answer.(less)

Bob(by)
Jan 09, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actually only read the first story in it. I will just say that Jack Vance is a master of prose. Why do so many science fiction writers have good ideas yet have to suck so bad at writing? His stories aren't even that out there, his plots are pretty mundane, yet his weird and funny characters, dialogue, and descriptions make it perfectly okay.
Harvey
Dec 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Marvellous! I'd read two of the three books before but asked for it for Christmas so that I could read Marune: Alastor 933, which I've been looking for in second-hand bookshops for years but never found.

I enjoyed Marune: Alastor 933, so it was worth it just for that. But I couldn't resist re-reading Trullion: Alastor 2262 and Wyst: Alastor 1716. The latter, in particular, had me laughing out loud. The satire on "egalism" is just perfect.
Jesús
Sep 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
This compilation of three stories (books) of Vance's Alastor universe is wonderful. All the stories are amazing.
Hunnapuh Xbal
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una novela o serie de novelas 100% Vance, mundos increibles, bien detallados y estructurados, personajes entrañables, epicas aventuras, especies, razas, culturas, todo esto tiene el cúmulo estelar Alastor.
El conactico resulta ser un personaje recurrente que vemos también en el ciclo de los Asutra con el Anomo o el hombre sin rostro.
Bastante Deux ex Machina en los finales, pero no podemos esperar otra cosa, luego de que tantas penurias, problemas, intrigas y desventuras agobien a Glin
Mike Allen
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, verified
This book is a collection of three previously published works, all set in the Alastor cluster, a "whorl of thirty thousand live stars in an irregular volume twenty to thirty light-years in diameter". (According to references in the books, Alastor cluster is part of the same universe as Vance's Oikumene/Gaean Reach, meaning that it is a part of the Milky Way, but is a separate entity).

The cluster contains around 3,000 worlds, with a combined population of 5 trillion individuals, with each having both a name and a number.
Oikumene/Gaean
Rodrigo Medina
May 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Estamos aquí ante el Vance más puro. No es el Vance de pura aventura de la serie de Tschai, ni el Vance que presta más ateción a la trama (como ocurre en Emphyrio y Los lenguajes de Pao). En estas novelas, y digo novelas porque el libro se compone de 3, Vance pica de todas las actitudes demostradas en sus otras obras sin decantarse por ninguna, salvo por la ya tradicional exquisita confección de las civilizaciones en las que se desarrollan las 3 historias.
Capitalismissexy
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jack Vance might be the best author ever in history.

Why are these books not used in lit class and on tv movies?
I think they have slight pro capitalism flavour.

This is not his best series....but fun.
John Burns
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
Arguably the least connected of Jack Vance's series. There's practically nothing to connect the 3 Alastor novels besides being set in the same region of space. The worlds and characters are totally separate. It's a series in the same way that Star Trek and Pride and Prejudice form a series because they take place in the same galaxy. Actually there is a brief reference to a made up sport, "hussade", in one of the books and this sport figures significantly in another of the books, but besides this ...more
Jkl21
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jack Vance is a master of prose.

I love these books.

Never included as an Alastor series book. but Maske:Thaery fits right in, and is my favourite out of the four.

The Lyonesse trilogy is superior to Tolkien.

Not my favourites, but many Jack Vance fans love the 5 Demon Princes books.

15 years ago, I spent several hundred pounds buying a 44 book set of the Vance Integral Edition.
These were corrected, reproofed, set and printed by volunt
Thomas Bätzler
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adore Jack Vance and I love these three books - maybe not so much for the stories itself, because they were written back in the 1970's and they do reflect the gender stereotypes of the time - but for their vivid and imaginative descriptions of people and customs.

I've read the individual books multiple times; first in a german translation published by Heyne back in the day; later in the original when this Omnibus edition came out and each time it's a revelation.
Albert Myburgh
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extraordinary, and then a range of other adjectives that will never do this trilogy any justice. I feel a little bit light-headed and shell-shocked now that i have finished "Alastor". 'What if I don't find another sci-fi book as good as these, ever,' is a thought that shoots through my mind every ten seconds or so, but I know it will be fine. I mean, Jack Vance also wrote other books.
An Odd1
Jul 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, x-rate
Untried youth faces danger, grows up. Humor and weirdness. Maybe good scifi-fantasy for those who are leery, because names of people and stuff are spelled simply, used in context. Might be 5* if not so many pages spent on rules of hussade game - sort of futbol over water leading to disrobed virgin finale.

Three young men fall for girls, two who try to kill them, finally saved by the Connatic, ruler of Alastor trillions. Glinnes Hulden, retired soldier, and prince "Kraike" Efraim, formerly amnesi
Perry Whitford
Three separate stories set on different planets of the Alastor Cluster, a vast empire of 5 trillion humans souls and thousands of diverse cultures, all loosely ruled by the benign stewardship of the omnipresent Connatic

Each planet has a number and its own high-tech information chamber. A physically unprepossessing man when not appearing ceremonially, the Connatic likes to understand the people first hand. Tales of his ubiquity are legion.

Trullian: Alastor 2262 focusses on farmboy Glinne/>Trullian:
Jacques le fataliste et son maître
Il “solito”, ottimo Vance, direi: mondi alieni minuziosamente descritti, società traboccanti di quelle nevrosi che chiamiamo usi e costumi, un forte legame tra il paesaggio e coloro che vivono al suo interno – soprattutto nel secondo e nel terzo romanzo del ciclo, soprattutto in quest’ultimo, anzi, dove viene delineato un mondo dominato da un rigido collettivismo e popolato da uomini e donne che fanno del loro peggio per mandare avanti il sistema (e la critica di Vance, individualista radicale, ...more
Yanik Franken
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this series, it really shows both Vance's wonderful character designs as well as his immersive and bizarre world-building.

The first book, Trullion had a nice outset and interesting world. Glinnes was an okay main character but he was actually (to me) one of the least fleshed out and relatable of the story. Trullion is a beautiful planet and the Trills are an interesting culture, but even the mystery evoked at the start takes a backseat as Vance commentates on the detailed sport of Hussade
Andreas
Apr 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ich liebe Alastor. Diese Trilogie war das erste Buch das ich von Jack Vance gelesen habe und hat mich von Anfang an verzaubert. Für mich ist es immer noch eines der besten Bücher und ich lese es regelmäßig alle ein bis zwei Jahre.

Jeder der drei Bände spielt auf einem anderen Planeten, und zwar:

Trullion: Alastor 2262
Marune: Alastor 933
Wyst: Alastor 1716

Trullion kommt sehr gemächlich daher. Planet und Kultur sind interessant aber die Handlung ist rel
Arturo
Jul 17, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Looking back, I think this book wasn't really that bad, but at the same time, I remember I yawned more than once as I read it. There are a few good moments, as well as some ingenious and intriguing concepts. But there's just "something" that makes it all not be worthwhile for me. And it bugs me that I don't know what that something is. Maybe I should re-read it again and try to find out, although frankly, I do not look forward reading it again.
John Welsh
Oct 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jack Vance's three Alastor novels are packaged here into one volume. If I was rating them separately, I would give them five, four and a half and six stars in the order that they appear. The third novel, Wyst, is possibly the bleakest, least whimsical thing Vance ever wrote and gives a bracing change of pace here.
Ian
Jun 10, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not Vance's finest, although it has all of his distinctive elements: quirky enigmatic characters, a richly imagined ethnography, and an unusual style marked by convincing coinages. If you already like Vance you will enjoy this. If you're new to his work, the Dying Earth or Planet of Adventure trilogies are much better, as is the fantasy trilogy beginning with Lyonesse.
Alejandro
A pity. Jack Vance is usually so much better... Three stories following more or less the same pattern, with kind of similar resolutions at the end. The context really lent itself to so much more, but the end result turned out somewhat banal and trivial. "The Dying Earth" stories are infinitelly better...
Dennis Pagoulatos
Three novels in one volume written by Vance at the height of his powers. Terrific stuff. All 3 are variations on pitfalls of utopian societies told with trademark wit and deceptive economy of prose despite the florid style. Note: If you seek masturbatory descriptions of future sci-fi tech, Vance is not your writer.
Paideia Sofista

I read this in the early 90's translated to spanish. As to SF I had practically only read Asimov so Jack Vance was refreshing. I remember him displaying a better prose and more complex sociological contexts, though the plot was a lot less attractive.
Frode
Jul 02, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a trilogy. I like Vance. He is conservative. The themes of capitalism and individual freedom run through these stories.
Katharine
May 08, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I've heard great things about Jack Vance. I guess I need to look through more of his works because these stories didn't inspire me much at all.
William
An omnibus edition including three previously released novels.

Features richly imagined settings with fascinating characters.

Vance shows his usual genius for villains.
Ben Brackett
Vance's prose is quite delightful and unique.
Robert Reese
May 12, 2013
Evalien Lang
Mar 30, 2013
P. Denkers
Jun 15, 2011

• The Rediscovery of Man: The Complete Short Science Fiction of Cordwainer Smith
  • On Blue's Waters (The Book of the Short Sun, #1)
  • In the Mouth of the Whale (The Quiet War, #3)
  • Kaleidoskop
  • Majestrum (Henghis Hapthorn #1)
  • Interstellar Patrol
  • The Dark Wing  (The Dark Wing Series, #1)
  • La Zone du Dehors
  • Griffin's Egg
  • The Deceivers
  • Next of Kin
  • Freddy's Book
  • Songs of the Dying Earth: Stories in Honour of Jack Vance
  • Starwolf
  • A Star Shines Over Mt. Morris
  • Surveillance (Intervention, #1)
  • The Last Planet (Central Control, #1)
Aka John Holbrook Vance, Peter Held, John Holbrook, Ellery Queen, John van See, Alan Wade.

The author was born in 1916 and educated at the University of California, first as a mining engineer, then majoring in physics and finally in journalism. During the 1940s and 1950s, he contributed widely to science fiction and fantasy magazines. His first novel, The Dying Earth , was published in 1950 to great acclaim. He won

Alastor (3 books)