Start by marking “The Girl God (The Girl God #1)” as Want to Read:
The Girl God (The Girl God #1)

The Girl God

(The Girl God #1)

A magically illustrated children's book celebrating the Divine Feminine.
The Girl God contains 36 paintings by renowned Norwegian artist Elisabeth
Slettnes. The book also contains 36 quotes from all the major faith
traditions as well as quotes and poems from Patricia Lynn Reilly, Virginia
Woolf, Rumi, bell hooks, Georgia O'Keefe, Z. Budapest, Sojourner Truth,
Gloria
Published December 10th 2013 (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Girl God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl God

Start your review of The Girl God (The Girl God #1)
Monette Chilson
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the greatest harms we have inflicted upon our souls stems from our our denial of the feminine face of God. By making God into a bearded, robed patriarch (even if only in our mind’s eye), we have lost the ability to recognize what Trista Hendren beautifully and simply calls, “The Girl God.”

On my own spiritual journey, I was deeply wounded by an exclusively male image of the divine. And it started when I was a child. A child looking for answers to questions I didn’t even have the words to
Michelle
Enter to win a free copy of this book on goodreads.com!

I have read and reread this little gem of a book more times than I can count. Although it is a children's book, it honestly is so much more. It's about women and girls and the divine feminine and God (but not in that way). The Girl God is beautifully versed, beautifully illustrated, and full of beautiful quotes. If you have a daughter, you should read this to her. If you have a son, you should read this to him. If you are a woman you should
Alyscia Cunningham
The Girl God is a must have on your daughter's book shelf. The story/conversation from a mother to daughter is undeniably relatable. The powerful quotes within the book make a great read for older children and adults. To top it off the art work and bright colors are absolutely captivating. It also caught the attention of my baby girl. This is one book that can be enjoyed on ALL age levels. My daughters and niece's eyes lit up when I read it to them. Simply stated, The Girl God opens up necessary ...more
Amy Glenn
Aug 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautifully written and illustrated meditation on The Divine Feminine. The quotes in the book are deeply inspiring and the story line is simple, sweet, and reflective of the clear/deep heart of the author. I recommend this for all who are interested in exploring spirituality.
Norbumorton
Sep 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Trista Hendron, author, and Elisabeth Slettnes, illustrator, have teamed up for a powerful celebration of the divine feminine. THE GIRL GOD dedicated to Trista’s daughter Helani addresses a child’s confusion over God’s identity as well as her own, growing up with parents who are separated. The text is supplemented with powerful artwork and timely quotes.

While this book is suitable for children (and adults) of all ages it should be a must have for children just learning to read. The illustrations
Perri Birney
Sep 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE GIRL GOD holds the key by which children may unlock the world of Divine Presence.

In her book, Trista Hendren poses a question: “Can you find the Girl God inside of you?” It’s an important question to ask. Encouraging young girls to get in touch with the divine feminine is a powerful rite of passage, enabling them to recognize their spiritual potency as well as the importance of the feminine in upholding the creative balance of life.

I loved the way the book moves between girl and woman in
Marilyn
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this treasure in The Crossroads store on Jay St. in Schenectady but perhaps it's on Amazon too? It's a book that I'll keep, pillowed by other awesome books on women's spirituality.

It's a children's book that ADULTS should read and I wanted to own. The slender paperback (maybe 9" x 11"?) is packed with beautiful contemporary art created by the illustrator. And the quotes, in small print below the art, are grown-up quotes from people like Rumi, Gandhi, Sojourner Truth, Judy Chicago,
Darlene
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Seekers of truth
Recommended to Darlene by: OHFB free books
Oh, wow. I picked this small but mighty book up for free today from Amazon. I was intrigued by the picture on the front cover and the title. I thought I was getting a children's book. I believe this is an 'everybody' book.

The story was from a mother to her daughter. A sweet simple story. But the wisdom of the story runs deeply. Then there are the quotations throughout; each capturing a piece of my soul. All the illustrations were engaging. I wish I bought this in tree form as I would like to
Angela Lee
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The author has done something very important with The Girl God. Teaching children that young girls are not subject to a male God and his rules makes it clear that girls are valuable and play a greater role in society than be the servant of males. While it may not seem like a big deal, being indoctrinated into a world that views men as superior and females as subordinate teaches girls subtle messages that we are not important in life. But when we grow up learning that we are important, we grow up ...more
Rodger
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
The Girl God by Trista Henderson and illustrated by Elisabeth Slettnes is an amazing book. The illustrations are beautiful. The story itself had me glued to the pages. It was of a young girl and her mothers conversations over the aspect of god/goddess. This book should be read by all children and adults. It is a beautiful story with many great quotes from others. I really enjoyed reading this book and plan to share it with my daughter and many others! It is a must read!
Received the book for free
Rebecca
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is so much more than a children's book. There is the central children's story at the top of the pages, but there are beautiful poems, quotes, and narrative passages at the bottom of each page under the gorgeous illustrations by Elisabeth Slettnes. I absolutely recommend this for every woman who is interested in the divine feminine as well as recommend it for all children.
Chelsea Rider
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a wonderful book

I've just finished my first reading of this book and can think of ten children who I hope to share it with. So beautiful, thought-provoking, and important.
Salem Leonard
Oct 01, 2018 rated it liked it
This book isn't terrible, but it's target market is a very particular community of cis, semi traditional girls and women.

It didn't work for our neurodivergent, interracial, disabled, queer, non-christian, trans family.
MariaJose Becerra
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A treasure

The book all children would benefit from reading. A reverence to the wisdom children hold and the divine feminine within them
Bridget Robertson

This a wonderful book. I have been reading, studying and practicing the ways of the Goddess for over thirty five years. Never have I found the essence of Goddess teachings distilled into such wisdom. Each page is filled with teachings that are both profound and accessible. The wonderful artwork captures the the spirit and imagination of the writing. Don't let the size fool you. There is so much to gained from this book. While this would be excellent for girls wanting to find the Divine that is
Emily Donnelly
This was a cute book, but I'm unsure how it would translate to kids who were brought up with the divine feminine around them. For example kids in pagan or Hindu families.

Either way it's quite cute and would be nice for kids who feel left out of spirituality because of how gendered it is in mainstream Abrahamic religions,
Adrian Brown
This is a GREAT book for little girls (and boys)! It is such an affirming account of sacred femininity that is told through a sweet story between the author and her daughter, and through quotes from a diverse grouping of authors and world religious leaders. BEAUTIFUL artwork throughout as well! Highly recommended for parents looking to teach daughters that being a girl is an awesome thing to be!
Julia
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great Stu

I really appreciate this tale of female power written for the young and so beautiful illustrations. I look forward to reading it with the little girls in my life.
Immacolata Codswallop
Beautiful paintings accompany thoughtful story that asks the reader (or listener) to seek out the feminine divine within themselves. A very pretty and thought-provoking little book.
Rowan
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An beautifully illustrated allegory calling people to stop polluting Mother Earth and pick up stewardship of our planet.
Montzalee Wittmann
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Idiot America: How Stupidity Became a Virtue in the Land of the Free
  • Sexy Liberal!: Of Me I Sing
  • Magic for the Resistance: Rituals and Spells for Change
  • The Plot to Hack America: How Putin's Cyberspies and WikiLeaks Tried to Steal the 2016 Election
  • Time's Convert
  • All the Lovely Pieces
  • What Happened
  • When We Believed in Mermaids
  • All the Birds in the Sky
Trista Hendren is the author of The Girl God series. You can read more about her projects at www.thegirlgod.com.

The Girl God (3 books)
  • Mother Earth (The Girl God #2)
  • Tell Me Why (The Girl God #3)
“Can you imagine how much our religion would change if we heard it through the mouths of women, instead of only mostly men?” 8 likes
“In the beginning, God was a woman, her mother explained.

And I don't know anyone who was not born from a woman. Do you?”
4 likes