Start by marking “The Witches of the Blue Well: Thoughts on Writing The Winter Witch” as Want to Read:
The Witches of the Blue Well: Thoughts on Writing The Winter Witch

The Witches of the Blue Well: Thoughts on Writing The Winter Witch

(Shadow Chronicles)

A captivating new original 20-page short story by Paula Brackston, author of The Witch’s Daughter, “The Witches of the Blue Well” is the story of Ceri, a young woman in early eighteenth-century Wales whose grandmother always told her the magic blood of the women in their family flows through her veins. But when famine and hardship come to their village, will Ceri be able t ...more
Published December 18th 2012 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about The Witches of the Blue Well, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Witches of the Blue Well

Shaina
This was a great short story about a well and a young woman connected to it. It makes me want to see Wales more than ever because of the superstitions and beautiful countryside described.
There was first a bit of background on Wales and the folklore and the wells there, then the story which really helped to put it in context. Afterward, there was a bit of history and context about witchcraft, then part of one of Paula’s books.
I find her work to be extremely interesting and naturally inspired.
✨ Gramy ✨
This short story explains how the author applied her thoughts to paper, details what she does to get into the time period she is writing about, such as: journaling through how she surrounds herself with time period items, wearing time period clothing, and eating time period food. Her research describes how using herbs as a "natural and/or alternative cure" to help a patient with an illness, became known as "Witchery."
Jessica Quadrel
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a really great short story. After reading "The Witch's Daughter" I decided that I had to read everything that Brackston has ever written. The story goes very quickly, and I really enjoy how Brackston ties in fantasy with historical fiction.
Jim
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For me the best story is the one that leaves you wanting more and with the Witches of the Blue Well Paula Brackston certaintly leaves you wanting to know more about Mamgi and the Blue Well.This well constructed short is aided by thoughts on writing the Winter Witch of which we have the bonus of the first two chapters at the end of the Witches of the Blue Well and had me placing my order of The Witch`s Daughter and the Winter Witch stright away. ...more
Leanne Powers
It wasn't amazing. Im a fan of this author but not of this book.
Sharon
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know this was a short story and history, but I really wanted the rest of the story. It is a good quick read. I will be reading the full story of The Witches of the Blue Well.
CerysAnne
I loved this short story. As always with Paula's books - no matter the length of them - I was completely captivated with the story. You can read this either before or after The Winter Witch; it doesn't really matter, but it's clear that this short story and The Winter Witch go hand in hand. The Witches of the Blue Well tells the story of Ceri who wants nothing more than for her ill sister to be well again, and she knows she has magic in her blood, but she just doesn't know how to use it. It's wh ...more
Alexandra
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this story. I didn’t know about the history of wells and witches so it was a very interesting read. A lot happened in a short number of pages, without it seeming overwhelming. I look forward to reading Winter Witch.
Mila Caron
Too bad it was such a short story, it was alright, I liked.
Liz
Feb 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5

Too short to really develop any kind of story but I couldn’t resist that gorgeous cover!
Shahna
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Quick little prequel to The Winter Witch.
Good stuff.
Jamie Garton
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good read!

Short, but a good read....must get another one!! Lol, the descriptions make you feel the breezes, hear the animals....it takes me away.
Toni
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely to read after having read The Winter Witch.
Marta Scheiner
Mar 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Too short

I liked the way the story started, and the storyline in general. If I were to recommend this story I would let the person know that it is extremely short. That's why I gave it the three star rating.
Marcia
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
A good short story that allowed my to be enchanted by Paula Brackston and also revisit The Winter Witch
Laura Gibson
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
beautiful short story. Paula brackston always paints the most beautiful images in your head when you read her books. her writing is beautiful.
Ann Geffert
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Witches of the Blue Well

I am not quite sure how to categorize the books that Ms. Blackstone writes.....Paranormal? Historical? Whatever it is, it is interesting. She has a cool way of writing....using the "voice" that her characters would use.

The witch in this story is young, just into her teen years, and faced with losing her family, all but her beautiful sister who is a bit older, but much more fragile, to disease and famine. Her Grandmother hints that she is a witch, but unfortunately, s
Obsidian
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved Paula Brackston's "The Winter Witch".

This short story references a blue well and the main character of that novel finds it and uses it to become a powerful witch. This prequel discusses the first witches who came upon the blue well and one witch in particular that harnesses it's power.

The main character in this story is Ceri who has been told by her grandmother that she has magic in her blood. A pestilence causes her to lose her entire family except for her sister. Fleeing the sickness t
Elizabeth Duckworth
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read The Witches of the Blue Well awhile ago and was so impress I read the Winter Witch too. I love how Ms. Braxkston brings the Welsh countryside of the time into such sharp focus, the peoples ways and superstitions along with the incredible poverty makes me wonder how easy it would have been to be born into that era rather than the 20th century. This was the first "witchy" book I have ever read, never thought I would like them but Paula Braxston is a gifted writer, I have gone on to read rea ...more
Jessi
Sep 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
That was nice. Bit of information as well as a short tale. It's funny to think that Ffynnon Las could come about by two young teenagers and an old crone. and like The Winter Witch it still spurred up my irritation and anger towards those that mistreat people who use gifts, even to help people.
I think that if there is truly magic in the world we should punish those that do harm with it and only if there is REAL evidence of the harm being caused by them.

Woahh now.....my Merlin feels are springing
Sharon
Great read

This author really has a great art of story telling. I felt the sadness of loss, the hope of success and the joy of finding ones place on our beautiful planet. After reading a teaser of The Winter Witch, I am off to download the full book and very excited about reading Morgana's tale.
Suzanne E. Chisum
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Witches of the Blue Well: Thoughts on Writing...

This book is a great follow-up to The Winter Witch. It explains the history of the Blue Well as well as the magic associated with it.

Lisa
Apr 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Way to short, it would have been an awesome story to really get into.
Cheri Ingram
Nice little short story about a witch coming of age. The book also leads you into Paula Brackston's first chapters of "The Winter Witch". Which now want me to go and get that book to read.
Elaine Lewis
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The witches of the Blue Well

Very short, sweet story. Makes me want to read the next book The Winters Witch. Recommended for all to read.
Joanne Cinquemani
short, entertaining I'm looking forward to reading The Winter Witch.
Crystal McBride Atwell
Love this story! Now I HAVE to get the Winter Witch!
Phyllis
Oct 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good short story. Wish it was longer.
Lisa
Dec 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun e-book with a short story and then two chapters from the upcoming book The Winter Witch. I really enjoyed it and cannot wait for the full book!
Pamela Porter
Very short story. Read it before the winter witch....
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 25, 2015 07:15AM

• Angel Wings
  • Dangerous Jane
  • Invisible Prison (Alex Noziak #0.5)
  • Beyond Downton Abbey
  • The Bargain Bride
  • Molly, by Golly!: The Legend of Molly Williams, America's First Female Firefighter
  • Gifted Apprentice
  • To Have and to Hold (Nebraska Historicals, #7)
  • Disappearance
  • The Truly Terribly Horrible Sweater...That Grandma Knit
  • Cupcakes, Paws, and Bad Santa Claus (An Annie Graceland Cozy Mystery Book 4)
  • To Kiss a Frog
  • Warrior's Last Gift (Warrior, #1.5)
  • Blood, Smoke and Mirrors (Bad Witch #1)
  • Sloppy Joe
  • Everybody Needs a Rock
  • Writing Vivid Settings: Professional Techniques for Fiction Authors (Writer's Craft Book 10)
  • Frogs and Kisses (Enchanted, Inc. #8)
Paula Brackston (aka PJ Brackston)is the New York Times bestselling author of The Witch's Daughter, The Winter Witch, and The Midnight Witch(2014).

Paula has an MA in Creative Writing from Lancaster University, and is a Visiting Lecturer for the University of Wales, Newport. In 2007 Paula was short listed in the Creme de la Crime search for new writers. In 2010 her book 'Nutters' (writing as PJ Da

Shadow Chronicles (3 books)
  • The Winter Witch