Start by marking “There Is No App for Happiness: How to Avoid a Near-Life Experience” as Want to Read:
There Is No App for Happiness: How to Avoid a Near-Life Experience

There Is No App for Happiness: How to Avoid a Near-Life Experience

The revolutionary book on discovering your happiest self—now in paperback.

Technology has expanded at such a rate that nearly every aspect of our world has been affected—yet there has been no corresponding expansion of personal happiness. Instead, we find that the wealthiest societies of the world have become depressed, anxious, sleep deprived, and overmedicated.

Max Strom,
Published August 1st 2013 by Skyhorse

To ask other readers questions about There Is No App for Happiness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There Is No App for Happiness

Glenda
Jul 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of stuff that we already know about the affect and influence of the "flat screens" on our lives - be they computers, TV, phones, etc. and the importance of disconnecting at times from those.

Some interesting statistics on the growth of technology in our lives, but mostly a lot of common sense things that you may have already heard (especially if you do yoga) but with some structured exercises and specific tips on how to incorporate them in your life.
Lisa Lou
3.5 Stars
A little on the heavier side but interesting information on technology and social media and its affects on society and individuals. It also includes tips and strategies for attaining true self happiness. I would recommend this book to others.
Nancy
Sep 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: happiness
Interesting
Mary-ann Owens
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book, it has exercises within it, some journalling required and well worth the effort. Love his books.
Elena Rodighiero
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great at diagnosing the problem. Not great at proving solutions. Easy to read and interesting
Sukhita
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book

Thought provoking and well written. I learnt much from this book. This is a book which everyone should read. I believe it would make the would a better place’.
Robin Dix
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Eye opening and a pleasure to read!
Urs
Nov 15, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first started reading this book I thought that it was going to be one of those far too common books these days that denounces all things digital and all social media. However it was quite the contrary. In this book, Max Strom taught how to make technology work for us, and how to use it to make our lives better. Strom also taught the importance of becoming self-aware and how to do it. He stressed the importance of human relationships as opposed to virtual ones. Plus, he touched on the impo ...more
Abhishek
Jan 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
there's no formula for happiness either

Though the book tries to create one. It's a wise book but I don't know how much it would help someone who already lives an "examined" life. For those who choose to be "asleep" they probably won't select it for reading anyway. Those in between can find some useful pointers.

First part of the book is very insightful and spot on in its observations of prevailing trends of technological ubiquity and evaporating joys of our lives.

The second part however is same
Holly Klump
I could not completely finish this book because I found the author to be such a judgmental grump. For someone who writes about happiness, I found him to be very negative ("Kids these days!!" "No one talks to their neighbors anymore" "People are SO RUDE" etc) which I personally find simply to be not so true and a dangerous blanket statement.

Perhaps this book has good information that is helpful for some folks, but I was so put off by the angry overtones that I put it down about halfway through.
There are many books in this genre that examine the dangers of the modern lifestyle and provide life lessons and suggestions for living a happier, more fulfilled life. This one was not my favourite, but what I did appreciate is that it incorporates Hatha yoga and meditation into the solutions for what ails us.
Timber
Aug 15, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty good book. It did have some good advice, but it also had some white noise (particularly his insistence on yoga solving every problem ever). The first half of the book was better than the 2nd half. I skimmed most of the 2nd half as it went into yoga & breathing techniques way more than what I cared about.
Dean Krosecz
Mr. Strom starts off strong. I found the first ten exercises to be valuable in my life. Even if you only read (and do) the first half of this book, it will be worth it.
Nicole
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this book. The book allows you the time and questioning to evaluate what you value and if you're living a life that mirrors these values.
Scott Sanders
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Time for change.

I really like that Max got me to think about the obvious but ignored steps to a better life. He describes many helpful ways to get there.
Cathy Telzrow
Nov 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Max Strom outlines 3 imperatives to avoid living a virtual life. His lessons, & especially some of the difficult homework, are valuable for anyone who lives even a portion of life on "autopilot".
Mediafunhouse
Sep 27, 2017
Wendi Sweet
Jan 12, 2015
Sarah Brock
Oct 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book. Easy to read. Thought-provoking stats & exercises.
Joia Mitchell
Ning Jin
Dec 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• How to Be a Best Friend Forever: Making and Keeping Lifetime Relationships
  • Meditations for Manifesting: Morning and Evening Meditations to Literally Create Your Heart's Desire
  • Attention Deficit Disorder: A Different Perception
  • Giving The Love That Heals
  • Soul Without Shame: A Guide to Liberating Yourself from the Judge Within
  • A Woman's Book of Life
  • Say This, Not That: A Foolproof Guide to Effective Interpersonal Communication
  • Peace, Love and Healing: Bodymind Communication  the Path to Self-Healing: An Exploration
  • How To Stubbornly Refuse To Make Yourself Miserable About Anything, Yes Anything
  • Radical Self-Acceptance: A Buddhist Guide to Freeing Yourself from Shame
  • Global Brain: The Evolution of the Mass Mind from the Big Bang to the 21st Century
  • Happy Hour is 9 to 5
  • Prisoners of Our Thoughts: Viktor Frankl's Principles for Discovering Meaning in Life and Work
  • The Irrational Bundle
  • Changing for Good: A Revolutionary Six-Stage Program for Overcoming Bad Habits and Moving Your Life Positively Forward
  • Feeling Good Together: The Secret to Making Troubled Relationships Work
  • The Language of Emotions: What Your Feelings Are Trying to Tell You
  • Theme Weaver: Connect the Power of Inspiration to Teaching Yoga
“you simply need to unchain yourself from the past. Then you may find that you have all the power that you need once the past has been released. To let go of the past may be the most meaningful action you will ever take.” 3 likes
“When you help, educate, heal, or nurture other people, your days become more and more meaningful, and you enrich the quality of your hours.” 2 likes