Start by marking “Little Herr Friedemann” as Want to Read:
Little Herr Friedemann

Little Herr Friedemann

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  235 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Die Novelle erzählt in fünfzehn knappen Kapiteln die Lebensgeschichte von Johannes Friedemann, der als Kleinkind vom Wickeltisch fiel und seitdem an einer körperlichen Missbildung leidet. „Er war nicht schön […] mit seiner spitzen und hohen Brust, seinem weit ausladenden Rücken und seinen viel zu langen, mageren Armen“ und „bot einen höchst seltsamen Anblick. Seine Hände u ...more
33 pages
Published (first published 1897)

To ask other readers questions about Little Herr Friedemann, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Herr Friedemann

Викторија
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: german
Magically beautiful and profoundly sad. I'm stunned, even though I don't know what I else I could have expected from Mann. He always has that knack of playing on my emotions so skillfully, that he can bring up completely contrasting images and moods in the space of a few pages.
I'd have loved for this to be a longer story, I feel the desire to learn a lot more about the characters, and yet Mann's prose is so potent, that enough is said in the novella as it is.
The first Mann I dared read completel
Sara Kamjou
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: short-stories
«با دقتی بسیار و باورنکردنی به خودش آموزش داد که از هرچه زندگی پیش آورد لذت ببرد. قدم زدن در بهار در گردشگاههای اطراف شهر؛ عطر گلها؛ آوای پرندگان - نباید قدر چیزهایی از این قبیل را دانست؟»
........
چه طعم تلخ گسی داشت این داستان!
Carlene
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Such a sad, heart-breaking short story.
Realini
Dec 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Little Mr. Friedmann by Thomas Mann
- We all tend to have a “base level of happiness”
- When someone loses a limb in an accident, after a period of low life satisfaction, one tends to go back to the Base level of Happiness
- The same thing happens when we win at lottery move to California- after some months of increased levels of happiness, we return to that same base level.

Thomas Mann is recognized as one of the greatest writers. He is listed with two books on the Top 100 Best Novels, available at
Gordon
Jul 08, 2012 rated it liked it
A set of Mann's early short stories. Many are little more than sketches and show very few signs of the exploration of humanity and ideas that would characterize his later works. Several of the stories are portraits of cruelty. Of these, only A Gleam really succeeds: the others, especially Little Lizzie are crude and silly. The Blood Of The Wälsungs, perhaps the best known - or most notorious - is ludicrously literal in making parallels between the story's characters and those of Wagner's Die Wal ...more
Yngvild
Jul 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature
Little Herr Friedemann is a sad little story in which Thomas Mann never lets us forget that Johannes Friedemann is physically, and therefore socially, less than other men. His spinal deformity means that he can never display his manliness in sports or by bragging of his conquests with girls. The text makes the point by always referring to him as little Herr Friedemann (der kleine Herr Friedemann), never just Herr Friedemann.

Friedemann’s sisters are plain, and therefore also unmarried. Like thei
Eric
Jun 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
This anthology has a story called Disillusionment. It is a perfect summary of the position of the Romantic movement in literature. The narrator falls into conversation with someone and explains that he had high expectations of life but everything in actuality was a disappoinment! His imagination conjures up events which are more dramatic, more vivid than the actual events. His parents' house is burned down and his comment is, "So this is a fire. Is this all there is to it?"
His yearning for great
Devi
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Was soll ich zu dem Buch sagen, welches ich heute morgen im Bus lesend beendet habe, aber wo ich gar nicht mehr weiß, worum es eigentlich ging. Ich kann mich an vereinzelt äußerst poetische Sätze erinnern und dann war es das dann auch. Vielleicht sollte man Thomas Mann einfach nicht im Wachkoma lesen. Das Buch bekommt wegen der schönen Schreibe zwei Punkte. Es hätte aber bestimmt mehr bekommen, wenn ich jetzt noch mich erinnern würde, was ich da genau gelesen habe. ;-)
Claire
Aug 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
Death in Venice and Other Stories is on the reading list for comp lit this year so far, just working my way through. Just not my thing really, but I'm feeling like these short stories won't be too bad to write on.
Descending Angel
Oct 24, 2012 rated it liked it
-Little Herr Friedemann
-The Road to the Churchyard
-Tristan

Unique style and intriguing topics.
Simon Bédard
Jul 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Some stories are incredibles, others just ok. The writing is always on point, pitch perfect. You can tell is preparing for the big stuff!
Pete
May 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: germany
I enjoyed the Gleam, and the Railway Accident best, but all were rewarding with the style changing in later stories.
Armin
  • An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge and Other Stories
  • Peeling the Onion
  • Soloalbum
19405

Thomas Mann was a German novelist, short story writer, social critic, philanthropist, essayist, and 1929 Nobel Prize laureate, known for his series of highly symbolic and ironic epic novels and novellas, noted for their insight into the psychology of the artist and the intel
More about Thomas Mann...