Start by marking “Hard Drop” as Want to Read:
Hard Drop

Hard Drop

An elite unit of high-altitude drop troops is deployed on a world engulfed in a brutal civil war. Their objective is classified, marked only by coordinates leading them into a deserted city at the heart of the fighting.

From the beginning, everything possible goes wrong. A missile strike rocks the carrier mid-launch, and only a fraction of the unit reaches the surface aliv
Published February 20th 2013

To ask other readers questions about Hard Drop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hard Drop

Start your review of Hard Drop
Ian
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I give this book two star rating. It is the type of Sci-Fi I enjoy; military team goes into impossible situation and pulls it off. The premise of drop troopers is good, the writing is great, but it lacks that spark to make it an exceptional work.

I found the central character flat. The supporting characters have more life and personality then Tyco. The scientist they find halfway through the book has more depth and breadth then Tyco. I assume we are supposed to view him as a detached, tired, lea
David Bland
Dec 26, 2014 rated it liked it
This book is like an action movie. If you don't pay to much attention to the details, it can be a lot of fun. Hard Drop follows a future military team, and their ill-fated "orbital insertion" mission gone wrong. The team remnants link up at the rally point, and move on to the objective. Along the way, it's a fun ride for the reader, but the devil is in the details. Poor grammar and punctuation at times mar the experience. It's not a HUGE flaw, but there were several points where a missing comma, ...more
Mike Carss
Aug 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5 stars rounded up.

A fun action/adventure story involving a ragtag group of troopers, unfortunately marred by some grammar and spelling issues. The first few chapters are excellently written, and for a self-published title, greatly impressed me. However the rest of the book could've been improved by another draft or two. It gave me the impression that the beginning was professionally edited, whereas the rest was not.

That said, it's an easy read. I loved the lead chara
James Wright
Aug 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. The military action is believable, the sci-fi and tech is within the realm of reason.

The guts of this book are the hard questions that pop up for Hale. Is it worth it? Does our sacrifice make anything better?

I look forward to the next book in the series. The book starts with a glimpse into Hale's past but doesn't really let you know how he got to where he was.
John Ducey
May 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good read.

Good read.

was a good book, I wouldn't mind reading more about Mr. Hale and his adventures. it's always interesting to read different authors views on the future of mankind.
Dean
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, own, sci-fi
Good old military sci fi. I liked the characters and action. Would be nice to see more from this author
Colin MacNeil
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
The version on Kindle Unlimited has some really terrible editing issues (grammar, typos, frequently repeated words, confusing or brain-dead descriptions of action scenes). The writing is otherwise passable but, ultimately, not very enjoyable. Characters are cardboard cut outs while their actions and motivations are a bit bizarre. If some of the above were addressed it would be an enjoyable, light read. It's obvious the story began as a screenplay and would have worked better as a dumb action mov ...more
Jean-luc
May 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: space-opera
I have read many reviewers comparing the book to a video game and it seems like an accurate description. Could have been a mission in one of the Halo games! Not bad though but not much in the way of character development. You also have no idea of the situation outside this little planet. And finally, some editing problem and some confusion when it comes to vehicle - going from truck to APC to jeep in one page. The main character is likable enough though even if we don't know much about him.
John
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
Meh
Have a hard time with military science fiction that mixes up ranks and can't get them straight. To make it even worse, the author committed the cardinal sin, IMHO, of having the main character who is an NCO, constantly called Cap or Captain by his troops. No real NCO that I've known would tolerate that for even a nanosecond. Don't waste your time
Alison
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Dark and intense

Pretty intense action with a dark edge. The characters were a bit stereotypical. Had some trouble following the story line at times and too many of the good guys die.
Glen Larned
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic story. I want more!
Knvbreader
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Solid, character-driven shoot-em-up science fiction, reads like the original Starship Troopers with some Halo thrown in. Really solid self-published outing.
chris freund
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fast paced action

Good story, reasonable character development. Space Marines on far off planets
Reece
Apr 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, he's a great new author. I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series when he finishes it!
Abram Langston
Feb 11, 2015
michael l dolan
Aug 05, 2018
Joseph R Balthis
rated it did not like it
Jan 25, 2015
Phillip Akers
Aug 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Factoring Humanity
Will van der Vaart is a science fiction enthusiast and indie science fiction writer. After five years in the LA film and television industry, he began writing novels, novellas, and short stories instead of screenplays. Hard Drop, his first science fiction novel, is based on a script shortlisted for the Nicholl Screenwriting Fellowship, and is the first in the Hard Drop Series.