Start by marking “Hex on the Ex (A Mind for Murder Mystery)” as Want to Read:
Hex on the Ex (A Mind for Murder Mystery)

Hex on the Ex (A Mind for Murder #3)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  288 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
From the author of Bruja Brouhaha and Who Do, Voodoo?--the new Mind for Murder Mystery!

When her ex-husband encounters a mysterious death omen, psychologist Liz Cooper turns to occult professor Nick Garfield for help in solving an all-too-real murder…

At a Dodgers game to celebrate her father’s birthday, Liz is forced to watch her ex—star player, Jarret—on the pitcher’s
Published May 7th 2013 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Hex on the Ex, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hex on the Ex

LORI CASWELL
May 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
Liz’s father is a huge baseball fan, just not a Dodger baseball fan. His family finds the perfect way to celebrate his birthday when the Chicago Cubs (his favorite team) comes to town. It is not bad enough that Liz’s ex in on the mound for the Dodger’s but she looks over and sees her former best friend Laycee in the stands. The ex- friend she caught in bed with her then husband Jarrett.

Jarrett has problems all his own when the appearance of a white pigeon—an omen of death— causes Jarrett to trip
Maggie Gordon
A Hex on the Ex is the last book in Staab's fun paranormal cozy mystery series. In this volume, Liz's ex-husband is embroiled in a murder investigation and he throws suspicion on our protagonist! This particular volume is pretty light on the supernatural connections. There's some Satanism discussions, but no actual potential magic as in the previous volumes. Bit disappointing in that respect, but still a fun mystery!
Trudi Jorda
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Will have to search for other books in the series! A Psychologist marries a baseball pitcher and the bases are loaded! For murder. A bunch of misinformation and mistaken identities and the plot thickens! We know our agal could not have done it-- but who did??
Alannah Davis
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would. Rochelle Staab has an easygoing, exemplary writing style that kept me smitten with this story. Even better, even though it's part of a series, it stands alone beautifully. Great work! I look forward to exploring this series more.
Kiki
Oct 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad installment in this series...it sucks that Staab hasn't written anything for a while. For a cozy mystery, it isn't too cheesy and the writing is pretty solid.
Mason
May 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A spunky protagonist returns for another encounter with the supernatural, but this time the bad omens hit too close to home.

A Dodgers game to celebrate her father’s birthday is no picnic for psychologist Liz Cooper. Her ex-husband, Jarret, is the star player and her ex-best friend. Laycee, is in the stands. Jarret and Laycee’s affair are why they are both formers in Liz’s life.

But things are soon thrown off balance for the superstitious Jarret when a white pigeon, an omen of death, appears durin
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Psychologist, Liz Cooper and her boyfriend, Professor of the Occult, Nick Garfield are joining Liz's family at a baseball game at Dodger's Stadium in Los Angeles. They are celebrating the Birthday of Liz's father and getting into the spirit of the game, until two circumstances mar the evening for Liz.

The first disappointment is that her Ex-husband, Pitcher Jarret Cooper is going to be brought into the game, and second, even worse, the ex-friend, Laycee, who was the lowlife, Jarret was cheating w
Morgan
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm surprised that this author only wrote three books. It's pretty good what she did for a cozy mystery. It doesn't get too involved with the occult and has a balance of reality to it. The last book is pretty interesting to wrap up Liz's issue with Jarret.

The murder is fascinating since it appears that karma is catching up with both people who wronged Liz in the past, but she still goes out of her way to solve the crime and clear Jarret's name. Normally, people would leave their exes in the dust
Fred
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hex on the Ex is the 3rd book in the A Mind for Murder Mystery series.

Lix Cooper is not really looking forward to attending Cubs-Dodgers baseball game. Yes it is her father's birthday, that's good. But on the other hand her ex, Jarrett, is the star reliever for the Dodger's and the ex friend, Laycee, that caused the breakup of Liz's marriage will also be in attendance. As Liz goes to get drinks, she literally runs into Laycee spilling the drinks on Liz. Liz's parting words to Laycee were you're
Anne Stoddard
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Liz Cooper's ex-husband, Jarrett, is thrown off his game when a white pigeon (an omen of death), rattles him during his latest game pitching for the Dodgers. The next morning, Liz's former best friend from Atlanta, Laycee, is found stabbed to death in Jarrett's bed. While Jarrett himself is an obvious suspect, Liz finds herself in the lineup as well--Laycee was the woman that tore her marriage apart years ago, after all.

With the help of her parents, brother, best friend, and boyfriend, Liz must
Jessica
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As usual Rochelle Staab leaves me happily content with her latest book in her "A Mind for Murder" series. I am a huge fan of this series and grow more fond of it with each book. "Hex on the Ex" has a great and intense plot, it also has its usual zany and loveable cast of characters from her previous books with a few new additions. In "Hex on the Ex" Murder strikes in a form from the past, and the heat is turned up on Dr. Liz Cooper when her Ex husband Jarret throws suspicion her way to cover his ...more
Sandra
May 07, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was mostly bored and annoyed while reading this. Nick & Liz are boring, David and Robyn are boring, Jarret is a jerk, Liz's mother is irritating. I do not understand why Liz allows Jarret her asshole cheating ex husband so much presence in her life. I found it incredibly annoying as was her mother's love for the man. I was happy that her mother finally took Liz's side after Jarret implicated her in the murder to get the police off his back but of course this was reversed by the end taking ...more
❂ Jennifer
Ok, I really enjoyed this book, but I have to say the killer was screamingly obvious towards the end - like it could have ended several chapters sooner, but it seemed like the author had more to say so she kept her characters in a state of temporary stupidity until she was ready.

Beyond that, a great story - not quite as much woo woo, although the murder has a very occult spin to it. But it was restricted to the murder itself, so we don't have to read about Liz's refusal to have an open mind, whi
Debbie Heaton
Oct 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In Staab’s mystery novel, psychologist Liz Cooper and her significant other Nick Garfield are at a Dodger’s game with her parents celebrating her father’s birthday—a very welcomed break from all the home renovations she’s up to her neck in. Among the thousands of baseball fans filling the stands, two stand out—an ex-friend from her married days and her ex-husband currently sitting in the Dodger’s bullpen. Baseball players are superstitious to the core and when Jarrett violates one of his superst ...more
B.C. Deeks
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal-magic
I read the first three of this series all in a row although I actually read this one first and then went back to find the first two. I'm now impatiently waiting for the fourth one to come out. Unfortunately, authors can't possibly write as fast as I can read! But that little problem shouldn't stop anyone who enjoys light paranormal mysteries from picking up the first three and diving in. The writing is solid, the heroine is likeable although I find the hero more appealing myself. Together they a ...more
Lizz
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
As usual, Staab hits it out of the ballpark with her third installment in the Mind for Murder Mystery series. Although, I am not a huge sports fan of any kind, I found that this book kept my interest quite well regardless. The writing was solid, the characters were well developed, and the mystery was fascinating. I also enjoy the spark of the spiritual and occult, which always teaches me something that I did not know. In addition, there is always great chemistry and humorous dialogue between the ...more
Melodie
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
Looks like this one is the last in this series, which is okay. It ended on a high note. I think this one was the best in this short-lived series. We get a little more insight into Liz's ex, Jarret, which was good. I still don't like her mom, but that's okay. Every series has to have an unlikeable character. If you're looking for something a little different you could definitely do worse than this 3-book series. RECOMMEND!
Laura Ruetz
Jun 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am in love with this series. I finished the last one and picked this one up right after and began to read. I find it hard to put these down. The characters are engaging, the writing is light and fresh and the plots are enjoyable!
Sherrie
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
This was a lot of fun to read. I do not see any more books from this author. Was hoping she would continue the series. Good chemistry between characters. Good plot.
Margaret
Jun 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Cute. Liked the main character and her involvement seems realistic not contrived. Will seek out other books by this author.
Ceejay
Jun 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fantastic mystery by Rochelle Staab! Great plot! Great characters! Great ending! I really love this series. My regret it that I'll have to wait a year for the next adventure.
Bella
Apr 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am really enjoying this series! Paranormal mysteries just add that little something extra for a rainy day read.
Valerie
I figured out the killer too quick with this one. But she does a nice job of trying to redirect you to thinking it was some one different.
Angela Porter
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really hope this author is going to continue with the series. I love it!
Stacy Spoonster
Hex on an ex

This is the best in the series so far. Well written and an enjoyable read. My only complaint is that the killer was easy to figure out, but the overall story was good.
Tiffany Hill
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
getting better! this was the last one that I got for Christmas.
Susan
Jan 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read it before but forgot the details. The killer was obvious early on.
Kyra
May 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a quick, light read. I've enjoyed all of the books in the series so far. I'm glad Jarrett proved himself in the end, even though he's still a cheater.
Michael Brown
Mystery is a little better. Obnoxious characters are less so. Again not a bad plot for an amateur and her crew but the main officer is still made to look too incompetent.
Kristin
This was the 3rd book in the series. i didnt figure it out until more than halfway through it. The usual characters, it's a series worth reading if you like mysteries.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Trouble in the Tarot (A Fortune Teller Mystery #3)
  • Peach Pies and Alibis (A Charmed Pie Shoppe Mystery, #2)
  • Bewitched, Bothered, and Biscotti (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #2)
  • Tarnished and Torn (A Witchcraft Mystery, #5)
  • Woof at the Door (Call of the Wilde #1)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Witchy (A Wishcraft Mystery, #3)
  • A Custom-Fit Crime (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery #4)
  • Mind Over Murder (Raven's Nest, #1)
  • Tulle Death Do Us Part (A Vintage Magic Mystery, #6)
  • A Taste of the Nightlife (Vampire Chef, #1)
  • The Ghost and the Bogus Bestseller (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #6)
  • Wild Wild Death (Pepper Martin, #8)
  • If Bread Could Rise to the Occasion  (Gram’s Country Cooking School Mystery, #3)
  • Pall in the Family (A Family Fortune Mystery, #1)
  • Curse of the PTA (Beth Kennedy #4)
  • Dyeing Wishes (A Haunted Yarn Shop Mystery #2)
  • An Uninvited Ghost (A Haunted Guesthouse Mystery, #2)
Rochelle Staab, former radio programmer and music industry executive, combined her love for mystery with a strong curiosity about the supernatural in her bestselling Mind for Murder Mystery series featuring psychologist Liz Cooper and occult expert Nick Garfield.

WHO DO, VOODOO? the first novel in the series earned Anthony, Agatha, Eureka! nominations for Best First Mystery along with a Golden Hear
More about Rochelle Staab

A Mind for Murder (3 books)
  • Who Do, Voodoo? (A Mind for Murder, #1)
  • Bruja Brouhaha (A Mind for Murder, #2)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • The Marriage Pact
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Roseanna (Martin Beck, #1)
  • I Am Watching You
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • Fractured
  • The Winter Over
  • American by Day
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)