Start by marking “Dragon Loves Penguin” as Want to Read:
Dragon Loves Penguin

Dragon Loves Penguin

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  391 Ratings  ·  77 Reviews
One dragon looking for an egg + one lonely egg in need of a mummy = one delightful relationship between the most unlikely of creatures.
Published October 10th 2013 by Bloomsbury Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Dragon Loves Penguin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragon Loves Penguin

Kaitlin
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice story about a dragon who adopted a penguin egg when she was unable to lay her own egg. The story is told by the adopted penguin, who herself later adopted another penguin. A nice story that shows parenthood is about love and commitment, not whether parents look like you or "laid" you themselves. Beautiful illustrations.
Nola
Aug 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
3.5 stars Bib the baby penguin asks his Mum to read him his favourite book about a dragon. All the other dragons had an egg to look after, but one dragon didn't. He went off to be alone for awhile and found an egg that needed his care. The egg hatched into a penguin and the dragon loved it as his own. However, the other dragons picked on it because it wasn't a real dragon. The little penguin went away by himself and found another egg that he looked after. I'm afraid I got confused at that point ...more
Jenni Joru
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: iltasadut
Nippu lohikäärmeitä muuttaa lumen ja jään maahan. Selvittyään pitkästä talvesta tulee kevät ja munia! Täplikkäitä munia, röyhelöisiä munia, isoja munia ja pieniä munia. Mutta yhdellä lohikäärmeellä ei ole ollenkaan munaa, joten se menee pois ollakseen vähän aikaa yksin.

Silloin hän huomaa jäälautalla yksinäisen muna, joka tarvitsee äidin. Täydellinen match! Mutta munasta ei kuoriudukaan lohikäärme.

Aivan hirveän ihana kirja vahvoista äideistä ja mummuista ja siitä, miten hyvä periytyy.

Meen pois
Dee-Ann
I read this to my autistic son. It was a bit too long for him and a bit confusing. The story was a bot strange, but I was taken by surprise by the surprise ending. I enjoyed the book more than my son.
June
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adoption requests
I am such a softie, but I loved this adoption story of a dragon and a penguin egg and then another penguin egg. This is a celebration of differences and of what is really important. 12/18/14

Used in Eggstravaganza, though a bit much for the group. A boy saw the cover and had to have it read.
AMY
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Grades K-5
I loved this one! What a great story with lots of surprises for the reader - a story within a story. Great, colorful illustrations. I especially loved the expressions on the dragon and penguin faces. My favorite picture is the one when the dragon hugs the egg - what a sweet scene! Kids will love this one! It has lots of nuggets of truth with a taste of comfort and love to boot. I have been reading it to first graders and they love it so far. Highly recommended Gr. K-5.
Anna
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An exceptional children's book. A cute, original story, fun drawings, and a great lesson. There has never been another time where the phrase "Sometimes, things happen for a reason" has come off as meaningful instead of insulting. In this story, it was very clear that the phrase meant that sometimes, bad things happen, but that good things can result from it. I also loved the empowerment of people who are different. Lovely, especially for children.
Toni  • Reviews & Randomness
4.75 Stars

When it comes to her books Debi Gliori seems to have knack for writing about important things in a very accessible way. This one is about how people can love you as if you were their child even if they didn't give birth to you and how love and time are better gifts than material possessions.

Another great book that everyone should read.
Tapani Aulu
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kiva, lämmin tarina ja taas isot ja upeat kuvat kuten Gliorin kirjoissa aina.
Court
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literary-crack
"But Little One was given
Love and Time, the greatest gifts of all."
SarahEmily1990
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Heartwarming story about family, love and being different. Gorgeous illustrations and touching sentiment
A beautiful story with great illustrations about what it means to be loved and a family. Too much for my preschool story time, but a great one-on-one read aloud to snuggle with at bedtime.
Cathy
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the idea of "love and time" on good parenting. Good example of what quantity time and unconditional love are much needed in this modern society.
Kay Randall
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
My personal pick for the Montana Treasure State Award but my students outvoted me;)
Tessa VanderStel
This could be a great book for children that are adopted to read. Even if they are not adopted, this book teaches children how to care for people, even if they are not like you. Such sweet texts and pictures!
EMILY ARMITAGE
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this story so much, I came across it in the library and had to buy it. It's a firm favorite at bedtime now.
Melanie
It's time for bed for Bib. But she doesn't want to go to sleep without a bedtime story; THE bedtime story. The one where a dragon who does not lay an egg adopts an egg she finds laying around. That egg hatches but the Little One is covered in feathers, not scales. And she doesn't fly or breathe fire. That's ok too. The dragon give her time and love and that may be all she needs.

When the adult dragons fly off and leave the young ones on the volcano to fend for themselves, the young dragons begin
Alison Aldridge
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
I bought this book off the back of my one year old son loving his board book "No matter what" by the same author. We borrowed this from the library in paperback.

He loves this story but the the ending has the same sweet sentimental value of love. However , there are some sad parts such as the dragons leaving penguin to burn in the volcano after the bullying. My son now screams "Away" and "Alone" whenever I need to go the toilet and when my husband leaves for work he'll bang on the door "don't go
Becky B
A little penguin and his mummy are having story time. Mum tells him about how dragons came to an icy land and found a fiery mountain that seemed like a nice place to stay. Soon all the dragons had an egg to take care of, all except for one dragon. That dragon soon finds a little lost egg and takes care of it. The hatchling isn't like the rest of the dragons. It has feathers and doesn't stand the heat as well. But the strange dragon is ok because it's mum gives it love and time. Eventually, the l ...more
Rationale:
This story is a generational adoption story. It shares the tale of a mother's own adoption and how she came to adopt her own child. It starts out with a little penguin wanting a bed-time story, which turns out to be the story of his mother's adoption and ends with how she found her own egg to adopt. It highlights the importance of love and time over gifts and superficial talents.

Text-to self connection:
The mother's/grandmother's enduring love, patience, and value place on love reminds
Emmaline MacBeath
Dragons come to stay in the land of the penguins. When the spring comes, all the dragons have eggs except for one. She walks off on her own and finds an egg. She cares for it until it hatches. It is not a dragon. Dragon cares for the little one and teaches her everything she can with lots of love even though the little one cannot do what the other dragons can. One day the big dragons must go away leaving the young ones behind. The dragons are not nice to the little one and hurt her feelings. She ...more
Phillipa
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kiddies
While I realise that children's story books tend to be simplified, I struggle to read some of them to my daughter because I feel they should still follow a linear & believable storyline.

This is one of them.
(view spoiler)
Charles
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful story about adoption!
Eden
Dec 17, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Spring comes, it is warm and all the Dragons are having eggs. All the Dragons, but one. So, she goes off to be alone for a bit and finds an egg with no mother. The Dragon takes the egg and loves it as her own. When the egg hatched, it didn't look like the other young Dragons. Will Little One be able to fit in?

Such a cute and sweet book. I think that it shows that love goes beyond mere appearance.
Kelsey
Age: Preschool-2nd grade
Family: Adoption
Animals: Dragons, penguins

There was some head-scratching moments in this book: Why were the dragons drawn so small (like babies) and then start laying eggs? Why did the eggless dragon take an egg that was in danger and not give it back to the penguins that were a stones-throw away? This confusion aside, this is a lovely fantastical tale to spur the imagination and expose listeners to an adoption tale.
Dawn
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very well written. Captured my student's attention immensely. It was interesting to have a discussion after. The book doesn't use the word adoption, however, it came up in our discussion. Some kids figured the dragon must have been a penguin wearing a costume. Their experience told them penguins have penguins for parents. One boy in our class, however, knows about adoption and suggested that they could be adopted. We had a great discussion about what adoption means.
Sophie
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Aww! This was super cute. First of all, I've got to be honest, as soon as I saw the title in the library I had to read it; Dragons and Penguins? Count me in! The story was lovely and well thought-out. Even after my 2 year old sister had requested this book 4 times in a row I still enjoyed it. A beautiful bedtime story.
Brave
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-reads
Read this with the kids I nanny for. Maybe I shouldn't count it towards my goal, but I allowed myself one short picture book last year for my challenge, so I'm allowing this one, too. I don't want to forget this book ever. It gave me goosebumps twice and once I thought I was going to cry. It's so sweet! Plus, dragons and penguins?! What more could I want??
Lynn
Family genealogy for children! Clever, with many twists!
The publisher could have shown the dialogue of the family with more contrast to make it easier for youngsters to see when the dialogue changes to the text of the story being read.
Soft illustrations, charcoal outlines nicely hold the color of the dragons on white background.
Jessica
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a precious and lovely book, with a sweet surprise twist to the end! I loved the pictures, which reminded me of the kind of illustrations that were in vogue when I was a kid, and seriously, the story is adorable! Not just a must-have for those of us who love dragons, but for anyone looking for a tender bedtime story to read aloud.
  • Again!
  • A Dog Wearing Shoes
  • Families, Families, Families!
  • Spark
  • This Is a Moose
  • Nerdy Birdy
  • Beastly Babies
  • A Funny Little Bird
  • Have You Seen My Dragon?
  • Templeton Gets His Wish
  • Oh So Brave Dragon
  • Three Bears in a Boat
  • The Night World
  • Not Your Typical Dragon
Debi Gliori (born 1959) is a Scottish author and illustrator of children's books.
She grew up as an only child in Glasgow, and when young began drawing and writing stories. She started writing children's books in 1976, and attended art school in Edinburgh from 1979 to 1984. She then received a travelling scholarship award to go to Milan, and worked as a freelance from 1984 onwards.
She is the author
More about Debi Gliori

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • That Hideous Strength: (Space Trilogy, Book Three) (The Space Trilogy 3)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Dark Tower: And Other Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Silent Planet (Space Trilogy, #1)
    $5.74 $1.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • The Terranauts
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)