Start by marking “Linnea in Monet's Garden ” as Want to Read:
Linnea in Monet's Garden

Linnea in Monet's Garden

Linnea has visited Claude Monet's garden! In Paris, she got to see many of his actual paintings. Now she understands what it means for a painter to be called an Impressionist. This innovative art book for children contains full-color photos of many of Monet's famous paintings.
Published October 1st 1987 by R & S Books (first published 1985)

Start your review of Linnea in Monet's Garden
Sheri
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Linnea and Mr. Bloom take a trip to Paris to see where Claude Monet lived and painted. They visit the Marmottan and view his paintings, travel onward to Giverny to see the pink house and gardens, and then back to Paris and the Orangerie for a look at the Water Lily Rooms. The story and the pictures make you want to see the lovely gardens, Japanese bridge, and lily pond for yourself. An informative biography of Monet's life and his Impressionist style of painting told in a narrative style.
Manybooks
Christina Björk's Linnea in Monet's Garden (which was originally published in Sweden in 1985 under the title of Linnea i Målarens Trädgård, with the English language translation penned in 1987 by Joan Sandin) has been on my to-read list for almost a decade, and I am happy to say that I have now remedied this shortcoming, that I have both read and yes indeed also very much enjoyed Linnea in Monet's Garden (although truth be told, I do very much wish that I were fluent in Swedish and could thus ...more
Ellinor
Actually this is a very good book. It introduces kids to the world of painting and especially to Claude Monet. Everything is explained in a simple way and the pictures are lovely.
What prevented me from rating it five stars is that I remember seeing this book in a bookstore as a kid. I skimmed through it and put it away again because I didn't like it. There wasn't enough of a story in it for my taste. Of course I see that differently now. But I still think most kids would feel the same way as I
Joelle
May 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a book for children but people of all ages can appreciate the beautiful artwork of Claude Monet. Linnea, a little girl, visits the home and garden of Claude Monet at Giverny, France where she learns about the artist's paintings and life. The book shows pictures of Monet's work and is a fun way for students to learn more about Impressionism and one of the most famous French artists of all time.
Mimi
Absolutely beautifully illustrated story, touching and informative.
Maureen
Sep 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: multicultural
This charming book recounts a young girls trip to Paris and her experiences at Giverny, the home of Claude Monet. Through her eyes and voice, we learn about Monet's life, his family, his triumphs and struggles. Authentic photos of Monet, his family, and his art are embedded in the whismsical illustrations. This book in the Linea series will capture the heaets if young readers who have never heard of the impressionist masters.
Sylvia
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children who love flowers and art
Shelves: challenge-2013
This book has been on my shelves for years. It's a children's book which I got as a present from one of my girl's parents. In the context of art education that year my school organized a project around Impressionism. My group chooses the paintings of Claude Monet, because of the waterlilies and the paintings of his garden in Giverny.
Monet has always been one of my favorite painters, so I could tell my kids a lot about his work and life. The project was supported by students of an art college
JeanBookNerd
Oct 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
Christina Bjorks Linnea in Monets Garden is the story of a small Swedish girl and her good neighbor friend, Mr. Bloom. They both share a passion for painting, particularly the kinds that Claude Monet creates. Their love of art brings these two friends together as they decide to visit Monets garden in Giverny. With a journey ahead of them, the book details their adventure to Paris.

This book is a good representation of Monets works and his method. Perhaps the most gripping part of this lovely
Juli Anna
May 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I don't know how I missed this book as a kid when I was positively *obsessed* with Giverny. While the prose certainly isn't the most sparkling stuff, the illustrations are lovely in a traditional way, and the story of Linnea's journey is fun to read. Also, serious style kudos to Linnea in her black tee and leggings, white pinny, and straw hat--I could wear that outfit every goshdarn day.
Shiloah
Crammed packed with great information, told in an interesting way. We all enjoyed this as a read-aloud.
Judy
Dec 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Now I want to take a trip to France just like the one Linnea experienced! This story has three strands: One addresses Monet's art, illustrating some of his paintings and introducing a few techniques he used to capture the feeling of a moment in time. Another focuses on his family -- lots of names. The third is the fictional story of a young girl who visits Paris with a retired neighbor and visits museums and, of course, Monet's home. This neighbor happens to be a male. I wasn't comfortable with ...more
Dolly
Jun 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents reading with their older children
I loved this book! I read it to myself as our girls played, but I will look for it at the library and hope to read it to them too. It's a bit long, especially if you have children with short attention spans, but it weaves a wonderful tale around an homage to the famous painter. It really makes me want to visit his home and garden.

This book was selected as one of the books for the May 2014 - Gardening discussion at the Picture-Book Club in the Children's Books Group here at Goodreads.
Jenny
I enjoyed the combination of fiction and nonfiction as you read of Linnea's trip to see Monet's garden. It includes photographs from Monet's life, Monet's paintings, and illustrations of Linnea and her neighbor Mr. Bloom. I found the text quite interesting. My children were fascinated by page 8 and 9 where you can see what Monet's water lily looks like up close...a splotchy blob of paint...and what it looks like from a distance. While we have gone to two local art museums, they have not had the ...more
Emilymenz
Aug 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My mom gave me this book when I was 12, and ever since then I have been hooked on Impressionist art. To this day, Monet is still one of my favorite painters. I remember going to the art museum in Chicago shortly after reading this book. I was amazed that I could stand in front of his oil paintings with nothing between me and his work but air. Just looking at the cover of this book brings me back to a loving, joyful time of discovery and wonder in my life.
Lex
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this over and over when I was a kid and I hope my copy of it is somewhere in my parent's basement.
Kathleen
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the book that inspired me to go to Europe! Yep! A children's book that I happened to catch a review of in the paper. Bought it that day. Booked my trip a year later! Magical, engaging story that teaches a lot about Monet throughout it! Very good book! A must read for a young artist in your family.
Ritva Strengell
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful book!
Luisa Knight
Mar 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Linnea loves flowers and Monet's painting of them. When her neighbor and her get to travel to Paris and see Monet's house, she's ecstatic.

Learn about Monet's paintings and his life throughout this girl's travels.

Ages: 8+

Cleanliness: it does mention that Monet had a child before getting married and that he lived with a woman before marrying her.

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so
typewriterdeluxe
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: art-books
The mix of nonfiction (Monet facts) and fiction (Linnea's adventure to France) could have been excellent, but unfortunately neither shines in "Linnea in Monet's Garden". Perhaps it's just a weird translation from Swedish to English, but the nonfiction sections seem jammed in and Linnea is such a painfully precocious character that she will only appeal to a specific set of readers. To me, she comes off as a a bougie Junie B. Jones wannabe written by the same people who write phony stories that ...more
Amie
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It's a great resource to teach children about Monet, impressionism, and plants.
Jennifer (JenIsNotaBookSnob)
Picked this one up without opening it, assumed it was a picture book. This is more of a short, biographical chapter book than a picture book.
This is one of those odd books that really feels like it belongs in nonfiction, but, because portions of the story are fictionalized, it ends up with the chapter books.
I paraphrased a little as my 5 year old was losing interest in the story of the girl, she just wanted more paintings.
Overall a solid choice, I can see why it is recommended often.
Jenn
Oct 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I have it from high school when I was introduced to Monet and my mom bought it for me. She continues to buy kids books for me, even though I have my little people. Read it to 5 year old Lucy and a 4th grader that was visiting this summer, and they both adored it!
Katie Knight
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for children in elementary school or adults who want to learn a little about Monet or the Impressionist work! It also helps explain his unusual family for the time.
Michael Fitzgerald
Oct 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Remarkable how crammed with information this little book is. Excellent balance between new illustrations, Monet artwork, and historical photos.
Kagama-the Literaturevixen
I both find this book good and the worst book of all time.
Have my reasons.
Silas
Feb 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
We loved this book. Now we want to go to Paris & Giverny.
Kathy
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
I bought this book years ago for my daughters and I had a yen to reread it and have it available for my grandkids. I searched everywhere and finally just bought a used copy. It arrived and entranced me all over again.
Unfortunately, it's not even close to something I could read to H and Z, but this time I tucked it away with my art books so I will know where it is.
Then, of course, I found my original copy. Ha! One for each grandchild!
Meggin Dail
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I picked up this child's book for $1 because I thought it would be interesting and I had a friend named Linnea once... boy was I right! I love this book. It tells of Monet's life, his house, his garden all through the eyes of a little girl learning about him for the first time. It's informative, has many illustrations and pictures of Monet's work and i would highly recommend to young and old alike - would make a great Christmas gift!
Sara
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was little (probably about the age of the girl in the book) I found the animated movie based on this book at the library. I swear I must have checked it out every time I was available. It sparked my own love of Monet and the Impressionist. The movie faded from my life but my love for Monet remained. Last Christmas my mom gifted me the original book and even found the old movie on DVD for me. I love them both just as much as when I was a little girl.
Mrs. Ruigrok
I wasn't sure if I was going to like this book but having experienced some of what Linnea has, I ended up loving it...her story of how she and her neighbor love Monet and flowers and then they travel to Paris and Giverny. A really nice story with lots of good information, great pictures too and recommendations of things to see and do.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Anno's Journey
  • Amelia Bedelia  (Amelia Bedelia, #1)
  • Mr. Popper's Penguins
  • Madeline
  • Katie Meets The Impressionists
  • The Iridescence of Birds: A Book About Henri Matisse
  • Charlotte's Web
  • Självklart, Sune (Sune, #3)
"I was born in 1938 in Stockholm, Sweden, and I have been living there ever since. I love this city, built on some small islands between lake Mälaren and the sea. Its a city with lots of water and trees and a lot of nature all around it.
I lived and went to school at the island Kungsholmen, just like my good friend and illustrator Lena Anderson. But our school was so big that we never met. I was