Start by marking “After the Evil (Jake Roberts, #1)” as Want to Read:
After the Evil (Jake Roberts, #1)

After the Evil

(Jake Roberts #1)

Alternate Cover Edition for B003BNZR3I.

Detective Jake Roberts and his ex-partner and ex-lover now FBI profilers, Mika Scott, are in hot pursuit of the serial killer of dominating and controlling men. During his investigation, Jake and flight attendant Lori Powers fall in love. But she cannot quiet the voice of her daughter Emily when she speaks to Lori from the grave. Pand
Kindle Edition, Revised Edition, 289 pages
Published November 20th 2013 by CreateSpace (first published October 7th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about After the Evil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After the Evil

Linda Strong
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
Homicide Detective Jake Roberts is not having a great time. He killed a suspect in a firefight ..a suspect that turned out to be a 16-year-old girl. In turn, he was also shot and is still recovering. Because of the shooting, and much to his disagreement, he is ordered to see the department's psychiatrist, Dr. Abrams.

Jake is forced to return to work early due to a particularly brutal serial killer. The killer is targeting men who have abused women, or particularly children. The victims are sedate
Tamara
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
After a particularly rough battle recovering from a gunshot wound, having been forced to kill the teen who shot him, Detective Jake Roberts is ordered back to work. There’s a sadistic killer on the loose; one who castrates his victims after the kill.

Paired with FBI Agent and Profiler, Mika Scott, who’s also Jake’s former lover, Jake, Mika & Jake’s friend and partner, Harmon, follow a trail of leads that eventually lead them back to a dead end.

During the investigation, Jake meets the woman of
Namrata Ganti
Oct 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a page turning thriller that will have you at the edge of your seat. The protagonist, Jake is suffering from the trauma of having killed a child though it was in the field and was necessary. He gets drawn into investigating serial killings when his psychologist is murdered. He has to team up with his old partner and lover, Mika who is now with the FBI. Thus enfolds a spine chilling chase to find the killer before any more murders take place.

Lori, a flight attendant by profession, is stru
P.S. Winn
Nov 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you love murder and mystery then this a definitely the book you want. The story is a tale of murder. Jake has a few problems, even seeing a psychiatrist for them, his partner Harmon is asked to drag Jake in to help solve some murders. Mica is a profiler and also Jake's ex lover. As the story escalates the reader gets to meet Lori who is the killer, her identity is not a secret but her past and the reasons why she kills are slowly brought to the surface in this spellbinding story. The author d ...more
Melanie Adkins
Sep 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Detective Jake Roberts is having a really tough time. He's been shot and he shot and killed a young woman. Handling this hasn't been easy, but he's trying. While he's dealing with his issues, there is a killer working overtime. This killer has crossed federal lines and so the FBI is involved. Jake knew it meant Mika Scott would be in town.
They nickname the killer the "Who's Your Daddy Killer". Controlling men of authority seem to be dying way to often. Mika Scott and Jake Roberts, along with J
Nancy Steinle gummel
Silent Voices

This is a well written crime mystery. The author describes the characters that are so believable that you are interested in how they turn out. I actually felt sorry for Jake, Mika and Lori, the murderer. If Lori hadn't heard the voices after her daughter Emily's suicide, she would not become a murderer.
Zane
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very Good

I really enjoyed this book. The idea of a female serial killer is different. I hope to come across more books of this sub genre, and am looking forward to reading more books by Cary Allen Stone.
Cold  Coffee
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
After The Evil is an extremely well written psychological crime fiction thriller that will not only keep you turning the page, but will lock you into this Jake Roberts series.

Author Cary Allen Stone taps into the criminal mind of his characters with a fresh perspective and clarity of the psychological nuances. His characters are realistic with engaging dialog and the plot is unpredictable with detailed graphic violence that is for mature audiences.

Father Anthony Moralli battles his sexual desire
Diana Febry
Dec 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you like fast paced detective thrillers with intriguing characters and a strong story, take a look at this one. It has a medium amount of gore for the genre and a broad age appeal.
A serial killer is operating across states. The victims are stabbed and castrated. Each victim is found naked, tied to a bed, with a song being played on loop and "Daddy" is written in their own blood. The only apparent link between the victims is they are men in a position of authority. Jake and Harmon are the dete
Susan
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing

There’s some serious stuff going on here…
As an avid fan of suspense novels, I was eagerly looking forward to reading Cary Allen Stone’s crime offering After the Evil.
I read Mr. Stone’s award winning novel while on vacation in October, and the novel definitely did not disappoint.
So, goodbye pool time, but the read was totally worth it.
Here’s a brief synopsis:
Homicide detective Jake Roberts has had some terrible dilemmas. He’s wounded in a gun fight, and after he kills the masked shooter, t
Susan Day
Dec 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This well written tale jumps right into action from the first sentence. By the third paragraph you’ll get a sense of what’s to come and you won’t be disappointed. Father Anthony is on his way to a very interesting vacation when an airline hostess, Lori Powers, recognizes him. On a break from his usual religious duties Father Anthony thinks he’s going on a sexual adventure, however, things don’t go as he plans.

This is an intriguing tale of lust, revenge and a woman’s search for a twisted sense of
Sharon Martin
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a novel , a hard hitting story which touches on the dark side of everyone from the serial killer to the police who are investigating the crimes. Although you know who the killer is from the outset, the real gripping thing is the reason why and as these reasons are revealed it draws the reader in.

On the other side we have the police detective who is fighting his demons and will stop at nothing to find the killer and as their paths cross fireworks explode.

The exceptionally thing about this
Marisa
Apr 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
After the Evil is a well written fast paced crime novel that will wet the pallets of any crime lover. Author Cary Stone manages to immediately captivate his audience with great character building and a scene you can get into and feel a part of which really allows you to turn those pages because you feel like you are right there part of the action.

Using his own life to fill in the blanks and make his characters believable is definitely a plus and in a lot of ways coincides with other crime noveli
Rosie Amber
Dec 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
After The Evil is a thriller and is the first in the Jake Roberts detective novels. A Homicide detective, he's currently on sick leave after a very violent case and undergoing psychiatric counselling as part of the job routine requirements.

The book opens with a horrible murder. We are also introduced to flight attendant Lori Powers, a troubled woman who hears voices and is haunted by the loss of her daughter.

Special Agent Mika Scott is on the trail of a serial killer. She arrives at Police headq
Denise Austin
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic book. Jake is such a great character he has flaws and weaknesses that make him the detective he is today. Harmon and Mika bring so much to the story. I love the way the author has so many twists and turns and brings it all together in a page turning thriller that made it so hard to put this book down. I am so glad there are more books in this series. I have started book 2 and am so excited that is takes off where this one left off. A must read.
Sandy
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-requested
I was a given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Here is my review.

First I'd to say this book deserves a lot more than five stars.
It is really really good. I highly recommend it if you looking for good murder mystery even tho we told from bringing who the murderer is, it doesn't matter.It keep my interest from the first page.
Can't wait to read the next one. This 1 of 4.
Angela
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A. Crime/ police procedural with good pace and great character development. Not a genre I have read before but was enthralled from page one. trying to find himself again after shooting a young girl in the line of duty, Jake Roberts struggles with his commitment to the force while a serial killer runs rampant. As the story unfolds Jake Robert's character is explored and we watch his recovery. Really enjoyed this one.
Laura Furuta
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This has to be one of the most intriguing and addicting book I have read in a long time. It has you from chapter 1 to the ending page. The story is first rate and the characters really come alive. I highly recommend this book to have on your must read list. I received a copy of this book from eBook Discovery in exchange for an honest review.
Aly
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is a good mystery and a thriller! I was very glad I got to read this book. Detective Jake Roberts is a good character. I feel for him and with him. I author brought me into this character life and I got to ride along on a great story. I think this book was well- written and I loved reading it! * I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review*
Grady
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
‘It’s the way that you feel It’s the truth in your eye Cause you’re up against the world And still you rise’

Arizona author Cary Allen Stone also happens to be an airline pilot (he began flying in 1972 at age 19!), having been hired by his first professional airline in 1982, and that figures significantly in his Book 5 AFTER YOU’RE DEAD of the Jake Roberts series of novels. Stone achieved a Bachelor of Arts in 1976 and has worked in television (he had a non-speaking character role in an AAA Club
Julie Baswell
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
In the line of duty, Jake Roberts had killed a young girl who was aiming to kill him. Even though it was a clean shot, it still haunted him. Jake starts seeing the police psychologist, Dr. Thaddeus Abrams. When Dr. Abrams is murdered by a serial killer, Jake realizes that he has to leave his problems behind and give his full attention to finding the killer. But when the killer strikes even closer to home, Jake realizes that the killer has been right under his nose all along.

This was a gripping
Rita Sheppard
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hard-hitting story of a serial killer who preys on sex hungry men. There are unexpected twists and turns to the story as the police and FBI work to find the killer. Policemen Jake and Harmon along with FBI agent in charge Mika are strong characters who have worked together before and know each other well.

There is a lot of action mixed with violence, and sexual situations going on that may not be for the faint of heart but make this a really good read.
Imma Booker
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is my first read from this author. I remained interested the entire read, though I have a distaste for presenting racist qualities in characters that don't serve a purpose in the telling of the story. It's something Stephen King used to have a penchant for that deterred me from reading a number of his books for years. Still, all in all it was an interesting tale and I liked how the title tied into the book.
candy hatterick
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just finished this book

the only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because I really didn't like the ending I sincerely hope that there is a second book I feel like I am left hanging
Debbie Clark
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heart-pounding Page Turner

The author takes the reader through all the twists and turns inside the minds of the killer, her almost equally wicked victims, and the law enforcement officials pursuing her.
Carlynne Toomey
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good story, editing could’ve been better, but a simple update to the book will fix that. I really enjoyed it and would recommend it highly when the edits are fixed. If not for the grammatical/structural errors, this would have been 5 stars from me.
Tracy Thompson
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Had me on the edge of my pillow didn't want to go to sleep.

Had me on the edge of my pillow and didn't want to go to sleep. It was enthralling from the beginning.
Andrew Harvey
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good story, hard to put down very exciting
Barb VanderWel
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this & I can't wait for more.
I will be also leaving a review on Goodreads @ Amazon.
And letting everyone know about it.
So i gave it a 5 Stars.
Dionne
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Suspenseful

Suspenseful all the way through can't wait to see if Ms. Powers shows up again. It left me hanging without knowing

• Led by Lies (Lily Blanchette #1)
  • The Mamacita Murders
  • The Seance Society
  • The Gemini Factor
  • Don't Look Away (Veronica Sloan, #1)
  • Bad Vibes (The Edge of Texas #3)
  • Shrouds of Darkness
  • Lethal Dispatch
  • Prosecco & Paparazzi (The Passport #1)
  • Sand City (Tractus Fynn Mystery, Book 1)
  • Wolves at the Door (Shapes of Autumn #2)
  • Lost Treasure (Clay Cantrell Mystery Adventure, #1)
  • Paint Me Gone (Gen Delacourt Mystery #3)
  • Till Death (Deep Six Security, #1)
  • Blood Lies
  • Broken Ferns (Lei Crime, #4)
  • Accused (Pacific Coast Justice #1)
  • The Storm Killer
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Cary Allen Stone is one superb writer!”
––Grady Harp, Amazon Hall of Fame Top 100 Reviewervine Voice

Cary Allen Stone spent his flying career inside the cockpits of corporate jets and commercial airlines. As a pilot, Cary developed a unique perspective on life. In 1992, he flew Sir Ridley Scott and when not searching for locations, Sir Scott mentored Cary on his writing. In 1976, Cary recei

Jake Roberts (5 books)
  • Mind Over Murder: A Jake Roberts Novel
  • After the Goode: A Jake Roberts Novel
  • After the Kill: A Jake Roberts Novel
  • After You're Dead: A Jake Roberts Novel (The Jake Roberts Novels)