Start by marking “The Nameless City (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Nameless City (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #2)

The Nameless City

(Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts #2)

Eleven Doctors, eleven months, eleven stories: a year-long celebration of Doctor Who! The most exciting names in children's fiction each create their own unique adventure about the time-travelling Time Lord.

When Jamie McCrimmon brings the Second Doctor a mysterious book, little does he realise the danger contained within its pages. The book transports the TARDIS to a terri

Published February 23rd 2013 by BBC Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about The Nameless City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nameless City

Alejandro
This is the second short story of the 50th Anniversary e-book event where there are 11 stories, portraiting one different doctor and one different companion per book. Here, as you can guess, it's with the Second Doctor. His companion is Jamie McCrimmon.

The Good

Everything! No, really, this short story is really good. I enjoyed it a lot and I had the time of my life reading it.

New villains: The Archons. I don't know if it will be a rule for this short story series to introduce new villains on each
Alissa
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars
I just love this man's writing!! I need to get my hands on The Thirteen Hallows ASAP!
Richard Wright
Feb 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
After last month's appalling attempt to rewrite the First Doctor as a superhero cyborg, I was rather put off this series of short ebooks. That book seemed less concerned with celebrating the history of the character and introducing his previous iterations to a new generation readers than it was with scrapping everything and starting from scratch. Thankfully, Michael Scott appears not only to know the Second Doctor, but also to like him. This is a short, sweet novelette, accessible to kids withou ...more
Brendon Schrodinger
Apr 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
What a pleasant relief this book was after the first dismal volume. I have no doubt that this author has actually seen an episode of Doctor Who, as opposed to Colfer.
What do we get for the Second Doctor? A fun little romp on Earth and then an alien world. Yes it may have tried a little too hard to connect to Gallifreyan mythology and the addition of a character before thier time was a bit grating, but this little bit of fluff looks like a diamond compared to "A Big Hand For the Doctor".
The aspec
Brooklyn Tayla
I really enjoyed this re-read. I'm definitely eager to read more books by this wonderful author; but he captured the Second Doctor and Jamie's character really well :)
F.R.
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ah, The Doctor and Jamie McCrimmon slaloming through space and time. Even though this particular chapter of the Doctor’s adventures was broadcast years before I was born, there is something about Patrick Troughton's Doctor Who which just captivates me so much.

A review I read elsewhere of the previous story (‘A Big Hand for the Doctor’) offered the fair criticism that it was trying turn the first Doctor into The Terminator. It just didn’t feel very Hartnell. This month’s story is also a literary
Kribu
Feb 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
To be honest, I didn't expect much of this, based on not having thought much of the Alchemyst, but I have to say The Nameless City worked a whole lot better for me than A Big Hand for the Doctor.

It's obvious that Scott knows the Second Doctor's character well, and his companion Jamie, and the era; there was no attempt to "reimagine" it all here in order to make it more palatable for the younger/newer readers - it was just a straightforward, fun adventure with a bit of horror.

Nothing too deep or
Lau
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
LOVED IT!
I haven't watched any of the episodes of the Second Doctor, so I didn't know what to expect but I really liked him.

As I have no knowledge of this Doctor I cannot say if book!Doctor was true to TV!Doctor but I thought Scott's narration was very engaging and he included several phrases that I'm sure must have been typical of this Doctor.

Speaking of Scott, I really appreciate how he wrote the different scenes as if it was an episode of the show. We follow what the Doctor and Jamie are doi
Vivienne
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I found this second in the series of e-shorts a big improvement on the first book and well deserving of its 5-stars. Michael Scott seemed a lot more confident with his Doctor and also with companion Jamie. I'd been disappointed with Scott's 'Alchemyst' but now I'm thinking I may have misjudged him .

While Book 1 drew on 'Peter Pan', here it is H.P. Lovecraft's mythos that is featured though still pitched in a way that isn't too disturbing for younger readers (the series if produced by Puffin afte
Chrissy
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
After the disappointment of "A Big Hand for the Doctor," this is a marked improvement for this 50th Anniversary celebratory range. From characterization and story - I can find nothing to be critical about and everything to love. I could easily imagine the characters from the TV show performing this story as I read the book, which is high praise for a TV-tie-in novel.
Sean Kennedy
Feb 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Thankfully this was a huge improvement on the first book in this new series. Scott actually seems to know the character of the second Doctor and his little idiosyncrasies, and the adventure itself is a fun one. Nice to see Jamie 'again' as well. Do we think Sarah Jane will be in #3 or #4? (or both?)

Things are looking up...
Jacqueline O.
Doctor Who the Nameless City is the second book in the Twelve Doctors 50th Anniversary boxed set of 12 mini-books. It features the Second Doctor, as played by Patrick Troughton on the BBC Television series Doctor Who and his companion Jaime, the Scottish Highlander. Polly is mentioned but not present and no mention is made of Zoë or Victoria (or even Ben), which made me wonder when the story was meant to be set in the Second Doctor Era.
In the story, a disguised Master manipulates Jaime into taki
Ruth
Jul 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Puffin continued its year-long celebration of Doctor Who earlier this year with the release of The Nameless City, a short story featuring the Second Doctor as portrayed by Patrick Troughton. Since I came to the show via the Ninth Doctor, I've never really had the opportunity -- or, frankly, the curiosity -- to learn more about his earlier incarnations until this year, when celebrations surrounding the show's fiftieth anniversary have led to the release of specials, short stories, and novels feat ...more
Dan
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: doctor-who
This is much better than the First e-short, A Big Hand For The Doctor. When Jamie brings the Second Doctor a book, he doesn't realise it will lead to terrible danger as the TARDIS is dragged to a glass city where the Archons want to get revenge on the Time Lords.

It's a great adventure which feels very much like it belongs in the Second Doctor era. Jamie is characterised well, and Scott uses the medium to share some of his thoughts and they feel right. The moment the Second Doctor arrives it fee
Ashley
Well, that's more like it. I had the same problem with this one that I had with the last one (A Big Hand For the Doctor), in that I'm not really all that familiar with the Second Doctor, but in terms of the actual story itself (the villains, the plot, the writing, the atmosphere, etc), Michael Scott's venture into the world of Doctor Who seems to me to be the superior offering. He also seems to have gotten his version of the Doctor's world to a more consistent place than Colfer did, what with Co ...more
Adam Stone
Dec 15, 2013 rated it liked it
The Nameless City begins with Jamie on an errand for the Doctor, after the TARDIS breaks down for some unspecified reason (not at all unlike episode one of Vengeance on Varos) and traps the Doctor and Jamie in 1960’s London.

Whilst on this errand Jamie comes across a man who appears to being mugged by a thug, and who hands him a book as thanks for helping him. Jamie takes the book back to the TARDIS and all hell breaks loose, almost literally.

This is a much better story than the first Doctor st
Gary Roskell
Nov 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Michael Scott's either a fan, or has done his homework. The Doctor and Jamie are pitch-perfect. The interplay between them feels straight out of a classic episode.

Jamie once again gets them into trouble, but only because of his big heart and Highlander sense of honour. The underplayed appearance of Thascalos (Google it if you're not quite sure... ) is a great foreshadowing of things to come. The story could never have been realised on restricted 60s technology and budgets, but the tone is spot
Scott
Jan 30, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
A tale of the 2nd Doctor, the Nameless City, the origins of the TARDIS and I wanted to shout "show don't tell" at least 57 times during this book. Still, it was fun, entertaining, not great, but good.
Michael
Feb 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Much better than A Big Hand for The Doctor, though not quite as good as the brilliant An Angel's Kiss.. book written by Justin Richards. Still, worth a read - and it made me gasp early on when Scott introduced - or should that be, re-introduced, an old name from the past.
Holly
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid short story that was enjoyable to read!
Ben Truong
The Nameless City is a short story written by Michael Scott and is a part of the year-long celebration for the fiftieth anniversary for Doctor Who (2013). This short story is the second installment of what would eventually be twelve parts – one for each Doctor. The Nameless City focuses on the Second Doctor (Patrick Troughton).

This short story was written really well. I really enjoyed this installment for the series and I was glad that the first installment was just an outlier (I hope). While I'
Eduardo
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
O Segundo Doutor com um toque de terror.

Tive que pesquisar um pouco sobre o segundo Doutor, pois sabia muito pouco sobre ele, e praticamente tudo o que encontrei vi retratado neste conto. Diferenças de personalidade em relação ao primeiro Doutor, um dos companheiros e até sua flauta estão aqui presentes. Embora inferior ao primeiro conto, o autor utiliza algumas marcas encontradas no anterior e que também funcionam bem, que é relacionar o Doutor com alguma outra literatura clássica, neste caso,
calum steele
Jun 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Good but could have more depth

Good short book but I'd infinitely prefer a long version of it with some more 'meat' to it other than that very exciting for a wee book
Melenia
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read!
Ariel
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book that made all the trouble lol
Artemisa
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
I like the world building for this story, and it even gives a nice origin story for the TARDIS.
But it feels like this story is all setup, it has no payoff, I couldn't even remember how it ended anymore...
Hot Cute Girly Geek
Apr 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Isabella
Real rating: 3.5

This is the second story in my compillation/anthology/whatever you wanna call it, and it's exceedingly better than the first. But, you know, I still didn't think it was "perfect" or anything :P

This story is long enough for a short one (it's way longer than Eoin Colfer's, for sure), and this time WE ACTUALLY HAVE A PLOT!!!!

Jamie (the 2nd Doctor's companion) was just walking down the street, minding his own business (actually, on an errand for The Doctor) when he sees a robbery hap
Andy Hickman
Aug 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Michael Scott, “THE NAMELESS CITY” (published February 23rd 2013), starring Two (Patrick Troughton).

Enchanting opening that leads to a dark encounter with a ghastly sinister monster. ****

“'Take care, Jamie McCrimmon,' he called. 'Enjoy your book.' And then he rounded the corner and vanished.”

Referring to the Tardis: “The Doctor had once told him that these ships were not made but grown, and were actually sentient in their own way.”

“'Money is not a problem. There's plenty upstairs in one of the b
Monique Hausser
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ok, so the second doctor is a vast improvement from the first doctor's story. For one thing, the main perspective of the story is from Jamie. Ok, so I've never seen these episodes either but I do know that Jamie is one of the most well known companions of the second doctor. Because the perspective was through Jamie, it felt more relatable and we could understand it better as Jamie is human like us.

So anyway, the story is a lot more entertaining as it has a clear beginning, middle and end. It in
  • The Roots of Evil (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #4)
  • The Spear of Destiny (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #3)
  • The Ripple Effect (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #7)
  • Spore (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #8)
  • Tip of the Tongue (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #5)
  • Something Borrowed (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #6)
  • The Beast of Babylon (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #9)
  • The Mystery of the Haunted Cottage (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #10)
  • Doctor Who: Nothing O'Clock
  • A Big Hand For The Doctor (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #1)
  • Doctor Who: Lights Out (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #12)
  • Doctor Who: The Light at the End
  • Doctor Who: Players
  • Doctor Who: Salt of the Earth (Time Trips)
  • Doctor Who: The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Time Traveller
  • Doctor Who: Tales of Trenzalore: The Eleventh Doctor's Last Stand
  • Doctor Who: Neverland
  • Doctor Who: Nightshade
Irish-born Michael Scott began writing over thirty years ago, and is one of Ireland's most successful and prolific authors, with over one hundred titles to his credit, spanning a
variety of genres, including Fantasy, Science Fiction and Folklore.

He writes for both adults and young adults and is published in thirty-seven countries, in over twenty languages.

Praised for his “unparalleled contribution

Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • A Big Hand For The Doctor (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #1)
  • The Spear of Destiny (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #3)
  • The Roots of Evil (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #4)
  • Tip of the Tongue (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #5)
  • Something Borrowed (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #6)
  • The Ripple Effect (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #7)
  • Spore (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #8)
  • The Beast of Babylon (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #9)
  • Doctor Who: Nothing O'Clock