Start by marking “Be Free Where You Are” as Want to Read:
Be Free Where You Are

Be Free Where You Are

This compendium of the core teachings of Thich Nhat Hanh, based on a talk given at a prison, shows how mindfulness practice can cultivate freedom no matter where you are. "So many of us, inmates and outsiders alike, are in prisons of our own making.... The miracle of mindfulness can free us all" - Shepherdstown Chronicle.....THICH NHAT HANH is a Vietnamese Buddhist monk wh ...more
ebook, Nook book, 50 pages
Published 2002 by Parallax Press (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Be Free Where You Are, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Be Free Where You Are

Mamuska
Jan 10, 2009 Mamuska rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I carry this book with me always and give it to people I love.
Wendy
Mar 10, 2009 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: philosophically-minded-mindful types
Recommended to Wendy by: yoga reading group
Tiny pocket-sized book with 71 pages. You can take it anywhere and read it anytime. It's fast, simple and thoughtful. This book is a transcript of a speech given by Thich Nhat Hanh to prisoners at the Maryland Correctional Institution in Hagerstown. Basically, this zen master is describing how we are always free whether captive or not. The enjoyment we get from breathing and having food to eat and feeling the ground beneath our feet cannot be taken away. The sky is the same in the prison yard as ...more
Marc
Nov 25, 2015 Marc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a gift to have given these talks inside a prison! The book closes with a section of questions and answers from his visit, as well as some quotes from those who were there. You get a sense for how Hahn's presence alone sets an example. A slim volume that gives a very clear overview of mindfulness and tangible ways of daily practice.

“With understanding you will become compassionate, and that will change everything.” -Thich Nhat Hanh , Sister Chan Khong
Mark Robison
Aug 08, 2016 Mark Robison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my second reading of this very short book re-creating a dharma talk given at a Maryland prison. I especially liked the brief asides where it's explained how to live by Nhat Hanh's teachings while behind bars. Nothing new from his other books and he doesn't directly answer two of the prisoners during the Q&A transcription, but I still enjoyed it. I also liked the post-talk feedback from a prisoner who tells how Nhat Hanh sat in mindfulness on stage while chaos reigned around him as t ...more
Gail
Dec 19, 2014 Gail rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a transcript of a talk Thich Nhat Hanh gave to the Maryland Correctional Institution at Hagerstown in 1999. It talks about the basics of mindfulness which are always a good reminder for me. I highlighted a number of passages in this book. After a stressful week, this helped ground me. I'll return to this one again.
Joycelyn
Feb 20, 2017 Joycelyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Speechlessly amazing and beautifully written! I have always felt a lot of love and hope any time I come back to this little, yet so personally impactful, compilation of Thay's teachings. I am very grateful for having an opportunity to pass by and choose to buy this book the other day! I cannot tell how much this book has helped me through thick and thin, and deeply hope this book help other people the way it does to me. Thank you very much Thay.
Tania Ramonde
Una obra corta pero muy inspirada en la que Thich Nhat Hanh explica a un grupo de presos como pueden ser libres a través de la respiración y la conciencia. Ideal para aproximarse a la meditación y resolver algunas dudas y prejuicios que surgen cuando se inicia esta práctica.
Chanita.Shannon
Be Free Where You Are is a compendium of the core teachings of Thich Nhat Hanh, based on a talk given at a prison. It shows how mindfulness practice can cultivate freedom no matter where you are, and summarizes for the first time all of Thich Nhat Hanh's core teachings making it an outstanding introduction to the ideas and practices of one of the foremost Buddhist teachers alive. Included is a foreword by Sister Chan Khang and an appendix describing how Thich Nhat Hanh's visit impacted those tha ...more
Kristin
Jan 02, 2012 Kristin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My sister gave me this book for Christmas and I'm glad I read it. This short book (71 very small pages) is the transciption of a speech Buddhist monk Thich Nhat Hanh gave to Maryland prisioners about practicing mindfulness. The speech is an excellent introduction to Thich Nhat Hanh's ideas and made me think about ways to stay in the present moment. As someone who is often thinking about the future, it's good advice for me.

Mr. Roboto
Sep 29, 2009 Mr. Roboto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd really give it 4.5 stars. This book is a gift, and my acquisition of it is well-timed given that I'm currently suffering with a prescribed dietary overhaul that is quite difficult. I will remember, thanks to this book, to eat mindfully, and to remember how much went into producing the things I don't particularly feel the desire to eat. We can make our own prison but also free ourselves from it.
WR
Feb 24, 2014 WR rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Be here, be present, now. Mindfulness is so satisfying, yet so hard to attain. We are often so distracted by a thousand and one things, that we forget to take in the here and now. It's interesting that this was from a talk given in a prison, because that is surely the best place to practise to be free where you are. Awesome!
Heather
Feb 06, 2009 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a talk about being completely involved in the present moment that Thich Nhat Hanh gave at a Maryland Correctional Facility. The book will benefit anyone to enjoy each moment more while your eating, walking, etc. I really enjoyed it, but being mindful while going to the bathroom was a little too much for me. :)
Jen
And at last, we return to “Present Moment, Wonderful Moment.”

“Breathing in, I dwell in the present moment. Breathing out, I feel this is a wonderful moment.” Remember, the Buddha said that the present moment is the only moment when life is available to us. So in order to touch life deeply, we have to come back to the present moment.
Denise Tarasuk
Dec 18, 2014 Denise Tarasuk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual
"Be Free Where You Are" is special! It made me feel good from beginning to end. This little pocket size gem is perfect for caring around and sharing with others. It is a perfect gift that will bring peace and harmony for all of those who read or just hear the words. Thank you Thich Nhat Hanh and Parallax Press!
T.
Feb 01, 2015 T. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhist-books
I love Thay's teachings but I was a bit skeptical about this little book as it is actually talks that he gave at a correctional institution. I wasn't sure it would be relevant. But trust Thay, we all live somewhat in a prison, even if it is of our own making, and there is plenty to digest in this book.
Pake Hall
Jan 28, 2015 Pake Hall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful and inspirational book. Very easy to read and suitable for anyone. Thich Nhat Hanh also gives great advice on practices to start with - wherever we are.
Will give it to people in prison for sure!
Aaron Finkel
Nov 28, 2011 Aaron Finkel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy Thich Nhat Hanh's writing, and this is a nicely condensed version of some of his teachings regarding mindfulness. It's not quite 5-star material, as it is repetitive in places, even in its brevity, and I really wish there were more inmate questions in the afterword.
Cheska
The word "mindfulness" has been twisted by the media (social media especially) as a selling tool, which makes sense since it is the antithesis of what the media sells: mindless consumerism. Interesting read. Happy to see that its true meaning is not what's being pushed by popular culture.
Matt
Mar 22, 2011 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A small gem with more thoughts on mindfulness from Thich Nhat Hanh. When I read about mindful breathing and eating in his books and try to put it into practice, I find I am very happy doing the simplest, most mundane things. Thank you TNH.
Rah~ri
Apr 05, 2010 Rah~ri rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

Like what he has to say?
Good message and all...i suppose?
Have yet to enjoy reading any of his books, though i have tried a few?
I want them to have meaning to me :(
Blahblahblahblahhhhh It is yet to happen!
but i really WANT TO LIKE his books???
Laurie Maheu
This book was another helpful source of how to practice buddhism. It was particularly interesting in that the teachings discussed were presented to inmates and there were some examples of how the teachings were practiced by incarcerated individuals.
Zoe
Jun 30, 2014 Zoe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This little book gives you Thay's (Thich Nhat Hanh's) wisdom in the palm of your hands. I have been at a retreat with Thay and this book is taken directly from one of his speeches. Excellent, and worth having/reading.
Rebecca
Mar 11, 2009 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have given this book away at least a dozen times. I'm determined to hang on to my most recent copy (though I did just lend it someone...) as it's an easy quick read and a great reminder of how simple it is to practice freedom.
Austin Wright
This is a great book for anyone in prison--though the part where he talks about 11-year getting raped by Pirates was completely inappropriate.

This book also is a stepping stone for leaning about Sister Chan Khong and her village of Ben Tre.
Thomas Hayes
Jun 11, 2013 Thomas Hayes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very accessible pathway to the mindfulness teachings of Thich Nhat Hanh. It is short yet thought provoking and the excerpts from letters from audience members testify to this.
Gail
Jun 27, 2014 Gail rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice quick read and an excellent addition to the pursuit of mindfulness no matter where you are or what you are doing.
Deborah
I enjoyed this book. Everything by Thich Nhat Hanh feeds my soul. I rated this particular book as a 3, simply because it was more basic than others I have read, more of an intro to mindfulness.
Meredith
I love Thay! Great little book to keep in your purse or take traveling. Be present, Be Free. Practice Mindfulness with every task.
Jenn
Nov 30, 2009 Jenn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adore this book and try to read at least bits of it every year. It's a moving text about mindfulness and maintaining control over your own perspective. A must read!
Liedewij Schuurmans
Keep breathing and smile..

Topboek! Binnen één week uit en meteen doorgegeven aan een vriend, waarvan ik denk dat hij hier veel aan zal hebben. Ik heb dat in ieder geval zeker.
  • Live in a Better Way: Reflections on Truth, Love, and Happiness
  • Buddhism for Beginners
  • Becoming Native to This Place
  • Practicing Peace in Times of War
  • Wisdom of the Last Farmer: Harvesting Legacies from the Land
  • Buddhist Wisdom: The Diamond Sutra and The Heart Sutra
  • Awakening the Buddhist Heart: Integrating Love, Meaning, and Connection into Every Part of Your Life
  • Meditation for Beginners
  • Being Black: Zen and the Art of Living with Fearlessness and Grace (Compass)
  • Introduction to Buddhism: An Explanation of the Buddhist Way of Life
  • One City: A Declaration of Interdependence
  • Arriving at Your Own Door: 108 Lessons in Mindfulness
  • One Dharma: The Emerging Western Buddhism
  • Against the Stream: A Buddhist Manual for Spiritual Revolutionaries
  • Spices: A Global History
  • Growing, Older: A Chronicle of Death, Life, and Vegetables
  • Jesus and Buddha: The Parallel Sayings
  • Dakini Power: Twelve Extraordinary Women Shaping the Transmission of Tibetan Buddhism in the West
More about Thich Nhat Hanh...

“For me, there is no happiness without freedom, and freedom is not given to us by anyone; we have to cultivate it ourselves.” 5 likes
“THE FIVE CONTEMPLATIONS This food is the gift of the whole universe, the Earth, the sky, and much hard work. May we eat in such a way as to be worthy to receive it. May we transform our unskillful states of mind and learn to eat in moderation. May we take only food that nourishes us and prevents illness. We accept this food in order to realize the path of understanding and love.” 4 likes