Start by marking “Love in Penang” as Want to Read:
Love in Penang

Love in Penang

Penang, with its mix of old world charm and modern bustle, has captured the hearts of many — making it the ideal place for a little bit of romance. Bask in the sweetness of young hearts falling in love and cheer them on when circumstances stand in their way. Walk through the pain of broken relationships and rejoice at unexpected reunions. Whether you prefer it happy or bit ...more
Paperback, 1st Edition, 299 pages
Published November 1st 2013 by FIXI Novo

To ask other readers questions about Love in Penang, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love in Penang

Fadzlishah Johanabas
Dec 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Disclaimers:

1. I mentioned on Twitter that I'd rather not review locally-published English books anymore because of small-minded reaction by small-time author(s). However. This book has that much strength, leave that deep an impression, that I shall write a review anyway.
2. You may notice my name as one of the contributors, so if you think this is a biased review...eh. Read this review and I'll let you decide.

I have not been kind to books (especially novels) published by Fixi Novo. I expected...
Gina
Dec 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
The book arrived. It was thicker than I thought it would be. I tore it open and wrote on the first inner page - Writer's copy. I do that with every first copy of the books I've written or have contributed to. This is one of them. I know I'll be proud of it without even reading the whole collection. Because my story is in it. One of my stories.

Satisfied, I took my favourite bookmark, placed it between the pages and started reading from the first story. The introduction. It is a good one, Anna, a
Plainqoma
Jan 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
I wish fixi publish more books of this kind of genre. I had so much fun reading this, I want to revisit Penang again. I was there, back then when I was 4 years old. Nothing much come to mind, except went to the famous mall, had nasi kandar and went to the beach. I'm just too old to remember everything now.

Looking at the title you know all of the stories was based in Penang. But for me it is actually more about life than Penang itself. Having said on the intro I quoted "I'm somewhat surprised th
Hani Suraya
Feb 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Tiga terfeveret: Name (Fadzlishah Johanabas), Amah's Bicycle (Julya Oui) & Majestic Heights (Marc de Faoite).

Aku tau cerita yang ada love-love ni memang bukan 'makanan' aku tapi kebanyakan cerita dalam buku ni takde la menekankan love-love antara kekasih semata-mata (fuhhh~ *lap peluh*). Memang takde letak apa-apa expectations pada buku ni. Kebanyakan jalan cerita agak cliche, yet still enjoyable to read :)
Nadira
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Masa belajar public speaking dulu Lecturer cakap first point dengan last point kena yang paling power. Macam dalam buku ni, cerpen pertama dan terakhir memang buat aku terbuai-buai dengan cinta. Tapi paling terkesan dengan 'He, She'. Aku harap mereka dapat happy ending dan aku harap aku pun akan dapat happy ending with my own 'he'
Mobyskine
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fixi-novo
A great book. Hampir kesemua short stories aku suka walaupun mostly kisah cinta yang bittersweet dengan unexpected ending.

Thumbs up kepada semua penulis dan juga editor. And anyway, kenapa Yana kena ada 6 orang abang?! Saya sungguh dengki sekali.
Hann Min
Aug 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's interesting, the many aspects and angles of love. Some of the writing is not to my liking, got a feeling that more work needs to be done. Of all the 18 sips, I enjoyed "happiness"- Leroy Luar","Majestic Heights"-Marc de Faoite the most, both created a cool cinematic experience in my minds eye
Nabilah Firdaus
Mar 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fixi
My fav - Tingles, When It Rains, Majestic Heights and Name

What a great compilation, please produce more books like this!
Doreen
Oct 31, 2014 rated it liked it
double-blind: a very open-minded story, loved the dialogs, and left to wonder if one would ever find love in such a way…
amah's bicycle: chili stuffed fish…
happiness: amazing how one gets clarity from siu bak… must be one ho liao siu bak…
tingles: how to detect a (view spoiler)
when it rains: is integration known as janjang? lol… hmm… penang seems to be very small or i should say pulau tikus area…
yana: wah… so tragic… and yet the story has potential to be developed in
Keisya
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
There's a reason I don't read romance books. Most of it is predictable.

I decided to get this book because Anna Tan was one of the speakers for my event and well then, it's the right time to get familiar with her work. I knew that Anna is based in Penang, so how lucky for her to have the opportunity to edit a book that is solely set in her hometown! I don't read a lot of short stories compilation, so I was excited to start this book.

I know that most Malaysians overlook the works of local artists
William Tham
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
I finally have time to write a review of this anthology. It's also exciting for me because I have a story in it! But anyway, I enjoyed reading the other stories very much. A few didn't work out, a few were light, and there were some which I really enjoyed, reminding me of the time that I was last back in Malaysia, Penang in particular. Kudos to Anna Tan for putting together a book that manages to deliver just what its title promises.

I am not great at writing reviews, so I will list out some of
norsajidahzulkafli
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love it. Lots of simple yet sweet stories compared to kl noirs which for me are a bit complicated to be understood. what I like best about this book is the setting of the stories which is in penang. it really gives me a feeling of breathing the air of penang. penang isn't so big. I can remember most of its places though I went there for only a few times. so whenever the writer mention certain places of penang that I know, I feel good! I love penang. The foods, the unique designs of the buildin ...more
airuZ
Feb 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Satu percaturan yang menjadi apabila disudahi dengan cerpen cinta berbaur rasa daripada Fadzlishah Johanabas. Membaca helaian demi helaian umpama mendengar simfoni sebuah orkestra yang mendamaikan halwa telinga. Kecuali satu. Hanya satu cerita yang memecahkan senyuman romantis kepada tawa. Kris Williamson tahu di mana harus meletakkan sentuhan komedi ketika pembaca hanyut dalam mood berbunga.
Dayat
Mar 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Baguih. Lepas baca putar lagu Goo goo dolls!
Hana Nur
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
I'd read it again. Maybe the second time around it'd be better.
Firdaus Abu Bakar
Jan 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Baca "Name" sambil mendengar "Goo Goo Dolls - Name". Anda akan merasa sesuatu disitu.
Jayra
Jan 01, 2018 rated it liked it
I love it was not too chessy, it's heartwarming and twisted plots at the same time.
Atikah (Oh, Hello Books!)
I finally have time to read and write a review of this book. I’ve put it on-hold for almost, what? Eight or nine months?! Insane. I don’t particularly enjoy reading local books, but when I saw this title and knew that it’s written in English and of course with a little bit of Malay and Chinese, I knew I had to read it. Unfortunately, I got bored and annoyed with some of the writing styles and the use of languages, so I stopped reading it.

And this month, I’ve finally finished it!

In general, I enj
Patricia P.
Dec 15, 2013 rated it liked it
This took harder than expected to read. Overall though, there is something for everyone. If you're the kind that loves comedy, or tragedy, or need some hope, you'll find it in here. Bear in mind that the stories are a wide and diverse collection, so while there are some you will love, there are some that will annoy you (I personally don't quite like Runaway, but I must insist that it is MY OWN PERSONAL TASTE).

If you need a light read, then this is probably a good one.
Yong May
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Various short stories which will certainly tug any reader's heart strings.
Some stories are thought-provoking and some really warms the heart. Some could even be made into a movie, like "Rock 'N' Love".

A local publication that's definitely a page turner.

If you have just visited Penang and thinking of getting a souvenir, this book is just what you need.
Pie Mesnan
Nov 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fixi
Cherish the love..love of your life, love of your soul, love of your happiness, love of your places, love of your country. All kind of love is written in this book. You will appreciate the love from it, LOVE IN PENANG. Thanks Fixi, great books.
Nor Izzati
Apr 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
it tell the daily living in penang..how the culture life in penang, the environment, the interesting places, events, foods.... it's kind of colourful hectic life here... interesting to gain and learn life experiences...
Rehan Abd Jamil
Jan 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Nice, my favorite~Name, written by Fadzlishah Johanabas :)
Aimi Z.
Sep 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Surprisingly good.
Nurliyana Amirah
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
My favourite would be tingles, yana, rock n love, a swift tour and name :)

Reading challenge #3 completed: a book that takes place in your hometown
F.Abigail Thivkhvir
Jul 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
All about Penang stories maybe you haven't yet discover .Read it .
Athirah Azizol
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very light read. Despite the title, the theme was subtlely presented in most stories. Nicely compiled!
Dienta Alias
Jun 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
great
Aide Syafiq
this book makes me missed my time when im in penang
Noraisah Shamsudin

• TUHAN
  • PARANORMAL
  • PINJAM
  • INVASI
Anna Tan grew up in Malaysia, the country that is not Singapore. In 2015, she traded in a life of annoying other bean counters for one of annoying the online world with questions about life and death and everything in between. The answer is sometimes 42. Sometimes they try to eat you.

When she is not writing or nitpicking over other writers' copy, she can be found reading a book or attempting to or