Start by marking “LOVE IN PENANG” as Want to Read:
LOVE IN PENANG

LOVE IN PENANG

Penang, with its mix of old world charm and modern bustle, has captured the hearts of many — making it the ideal place for a little bit of romance. Bask in the sweetness of young hearts falling in love and cheer them on when circumstances stand in their way. Walk through the pain of broken relationships and rejoice at unexpected reunions. Whether you prefer it happy or bit ...more
Paperback, 1st Edition, 299 pages
Published November 1st 2013 by FIXI Novo

To ask other readers questions about LOVE IN PENANG, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about LOVE IN PENANG

Start your review of LOVE IN PENANG
Fadzlishah Johanabas
Dec 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Disclaimers:

1. I mentioned on Twitter that I'd rather not review locally-published English books anymore because of small-minded reaction by small-time author(s). However. This book has that much strength, leave that deep an impression, that I shall write a review anyway.
2. You may notice my name as one of the contributors, so if you think this is a biased review...eh. Read this review and I'll let you decide.

I have not been kind to books (especially novels) published by Fixi Novo. I expected..
Gina
Dec 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
The book arrived. It was thicker than I thought it would be. I tore it open and wrote on the first inner page - Writer's copy. I do that with every first copy of the books I've written or have contributed to. This is one of them. I know I'll be proud of it without even reading the whole collection. Because my story is in it. One of my stories.

Satisfied, I took my favourite bookmark, placed it between the pages and started reading from the first story. The introduction. It is a good one, Anna, a
Plainqoma
Jan 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
I wish fixi publish more books of this kind of genre. I had so much fun reading this, I want to revisit Penang again. I was there, back then when I was 4 years old. Nothing much come to mind, except went to the famous mall, had nasi kandar and went to the beach. I'm just too old to remember everything now.

Looking at the title you know all of the stories was based in Penang. But for me it is actually more about life than Penang itself. Having said on the intro I quoted "I'm somewhat surprised th
Hann Min
Aug 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's interesting, the many aspects and angles of love. Some of the writing is not to my liking, got a feeling that more work needs to be done. Of all the 18 sips, I enjoyed "happiness"- Leroy Luar","Majestic Heights"-Marc de Faoite the most, both created a cool cinematic experience in my minds eye
Nabilah Firdaus
Mar 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fixi
My fav - Tingles, When It Rains, Majestic Heights and Name

What a great compilation, please produce more books like this!
Doreen
Oct 31, 2014 rated it liked it
double-blind: a very open-minded story, loved the dialogs, and left to wonder if one would ever find love in such a way…
amah's bicycle: chili stuffed fish…
happiness: amazing how one gets clarity from siu bak… must be one ho liao siu bak…
tingles: how to detect a (view spoiler)
when it rains: is integration known as janjang? lol… hmm… penang seems to be very small or i should say pulau tikus area…
yana: wah… so tragic… and yet the story has potential to be developed in
Keisya
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
There's a reason I don't read romance books. Most of it is predictable.

I decided to get this book because Anna Tan was one of the speakers for my event and well then, it's the right time to get familiar with her work. I knew that Anna is based in Penang, so how lucky for her to have the opportunity to edit a book that is solely set in her hometown! I don't read a lot of short stories compilation, so I was excited to start this book.

I know that most Malaysians overlook the works of local artists
William Liang
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
I finally have time to write a review of this anthology. It's also exciting for me because I have a story in it! But anyway, I enjoyed reading the other stories very much. A few didn't work out, a few were light, and there were some which I really enjoyed, reminding me of the time that I was last back in Malaysia, Penang in particular. Kudos to Anna Tan for putting together a book that manages to deliver just what its title promises.

I am not great at writing reviews, so I will list out some of
norsajidahzulkafli
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love it. Lots of simple yet sweet stories compared to kl noirs which for me are a bit complicated to be understood. what I like best about this book is the setting of the stories which is in penang. it really gives me a feeling of breathing the air of penang. penang isn't so big. I can remember most of its places though I went there for only a few times. so whenever the writer mention certain places of penang that I know, I feel good! I love penang. The foods, the unique designs of the buildin ...more
Hana Nur
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
I'd read it again. Maybe the second time around it'd be better.
Atikah (Oh, Hello Books!)
I finally have time to read and write a review of this book. I’ve put it on-hold for almost, what? Eight or nine months?! Insane. I don’t particularly enjoy reading local books, but when I saw this title and knew that it’s written in English and of course with a little bit of Malay and Chinese, I knew I had to read it. Unfortunately, I got bored and annoyed with some of the writing styles and the use of languages, so I stopped reading it.

And this month, I’ve finally finished it!

In general, I enj
Patricia P.
Dec 15, 2013 rated it liked it
This took harder than expected to read. Overall though, there is something for everyone. If you're the kind that loves comedy, or tragedy, or need some hope, you'll find it in here. Bear in mind that the stories are a wide and diverse collection, so while there are some you will love, there are some that will annoy you (I personally don't quite like Runaway, but I must insist that it is MY OWN PERSONAL TASTE).

If you need a light read, then this is probably a good one.
Yong May
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Various short stories which will certainly tug any reader's heart strings.
Some stories are thought-provoking and some really warms the heart. Some could even be made into a movie, like "Rock 'N' Love".

A local publication that's definitely a page turner.

If you have just visited Penang and thinking of getting a souvenir, this book is just what you need.
Pie Mesnan
Nov 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fixi
Cherish the love..love of your life, love of your soul, love of your happiness, love of your places, love of your country. All kind of love is written in this book. You will appreciate the love from it, LOVE IN PENANG. Thanks Fixi, great books.
Nor Izzati
Apr 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
it tell the daily living in penang..how the culture life in penang, the environment, the interesting places, events, foods.... it's kind of colourful hectic life here... interesting to gain and learn life experiences...
Aide Syafiq
this book makes me missed my time when im in penang
Abigail Kim
Jul 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
All about Penang stories maybe you haven't yet discover .Read it .
Nurliyana Amirah
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
My favourite would be tingles, yana, rock n love, a swift tour and name :)

Reading challenge #3 completed: a book that takes place in your hometown
Athirah Azizol
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very light read. Despite the title, the theme was subtlely presented in most stories. Nicely compiled!
Rehan Abd Jamil
Jan 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Nice, my favorite~Name, written by Fadzlishah Johanabas :)
Jayra
Jan 01, 2018 rated it liked it
I love it was not too chessy, it's heartwarming and twisted plots at the same time.
Mell
Jul 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: malaysia
I've been eyeing this particular short story collection mainly due to its cover. I like that it's unconventional for a Malaysian book: street art. Sure enough, I wasn't disappointed by it. Then again, I'm a sucker for stories about love.

All stories are about love, with the setting being in Penang. Each story basically name-drop a few buildings and street names found there. I like how each story has a different view on love, yet they seem to be united not only in terms of location, but the spirit
Alyssa J.
Feb 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Love in Penang is an anthology of varying forms on love which take place against the backdrop of Penang.

Out of 18 stories, I really enjoyed maybe three of them. The rest of them were standard "boy and girl fall in love" stories, most of them with tragic endings. Quite a number of the stories also touched on the interracial/religion aspect. Another observation: a lot of girls die in this anthology.

Double-Blind by Zen Cho is probably my favourite story in this anthology. A boy and girl meet at an
Nadhira
May 21, 2014 rated it did not like it
Honestly, I didn't finished the book. I did not even get half way through, it was just too boring and bland for me. Sorry but I just can't, I guess I expected waaaay too much from a local English book or maybe it's just me being harsh. There were no ebb and flow in the writing and the stories were just not good enough. Just to be fair, they were okay but for an avid reader like me, I want more! I want to read stories that will stay with me long after I've read them! I don't want to feel like I'v ...more
Damyanti Biswas
May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely vignettes of life and love in Penang. I've visited this city often, and find so many of the stories so true to its lovely atmosphere of modernity combined with old-world charm.

An essential read for anyone wanting to understand south-east Asian mores on relationships, and the way emotions play out on the screen of life in this part of the globe.
Julien
Aug 31, 2014 rated it it was ok
This is what happen when an editor doesn't do his job properly. A bad selection of short stories, most of them sloppy and uninteresting. Only a few really stands out, making the others seems bland.
Syazwanie Winston Abdullah
Apr 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
32/52

Surprisingly, I enjoyed the bite size pieces. Some were good, some were meh. I enjoyed the first and last stories and some in between. Onwards to other Fixi Novo books.
Jaw
Sep 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Reading Freakonomics after a string of heavy books is too taxing I decided to tone down a bit. Saw this on one of the shelves and bought it straight away. One of the best decisions I've made on impulse.
Composed of 18 short stories written by 18 authors of different backgrounds and ethnicity, this book quickly caught my attention. As the title said, all the stories have the same theme, Love and Penang although the love between who and what differs from one story to another. That would be this boo
Ryn Asri
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
The diversity of the author bring in each of the short story really impressed me so well. at first glance, i thought it was all about love story with the cliche cheesy words but it is my biggest mistake. After i read it until the last page. This book leave me with speechless emotion. Can i have some more? :(

A few of the short stories in this book made me leave loud sigh 'alaaaa please write more'. One of the stories that I still remember, my favourite should I say. Love Letter. It is sweet and b
Audrey Kang
Oct 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Personally, I found this book a bit hard to get through. Maybe I wasn't a fan of short story compilations. But it was also because the writing style of some of the various authors didn't really reach out to my heart - and I'm the type of person who likes to reach out to the characters I get introduced to in the story, regardless of their nature.

But I have to give props to some of the characters whom I actually could relate to, about how and why the 'grandmother' married someone else, how much l

• GANTUNG
  • ILUSANITI
  • Letters to God
  • ASRAMA
  • The Woods
  • Pillow Thoughts (Pillow Thoughts #1)
  • Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (Scary Stories, #1)
  • Gyo
  • Uzumaki
  • Tomie
  • More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (Scary Stories, #2)
  • I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
Anna Tan grew up in Malaysia, the country that is not Singapore. In 2015, she traded in a life of annoying other bean counters for one of annoying the online world with questions about life and death and everything in between. The answer is sometimes 42. Sometimes they try to eat you.

When she is not writing or nitpicking over other writers' copy, she can be found reading a book or attempting to or

News & Interviews