Start by marking “Purple Moon” as Want to Read:
Purple Moon

Purple Moon

(Purple Moon #1)

Selena's life isn't turning out to be the fairy tale she imagined as a kid.

That hope seemed to vanish long ago when her dad kicked her and her mom out of the house. This summer might finally hold the chance of a new beginning for Selena ... but having to live with her snobby cousin in Lake Lure, NC while waiting for her mom to get out of rehab wasn't how Selena was
Published October 20th 2013 by Lighthouse Publishing of the Carolinas (first published September 24th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Purple Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Purple Moon

Start your review of Purple Moon
Age Appropriate For: 16 and up (for under aged smoking, drinking and reverences to immoral guy-girl relationship)
Best for Ages: 16 to 25

Powerful. That is the first word that comes to mind to describe this story. Selena captures your emotions and takes you on a roller-coaster ride that ends with a deep, satisfying ending.

I don't normally read books about troubled teens. They normally feel so set up and fake, or so crude I blush my way through. This book felt realistic and dealt with some very
Rachelle Cobb
May 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What I Loved

Selena is an incredibly well-developed main character. She has all these idiosyncrasies, all this past baggage she carries around, and a very hard life she has to deal with. Even so, I found her relatable and endearing (even when she was at her worst). I appreciated Tessa's weaving in her backstory gradually, seamlessly, and loved the twists and turns this book took as it went on.

I read it very quickly because I couldn't get enough of the story. The secrets that are revealed as the
Amy
Jun 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved Purple Moon! There truly aren't enough books written for Christian teens.

This novel is the story of Selena Taylor who has been struggling in life for years. It started when her mom and Selena stopping living with Selena’s dad. But this summer, Selena has to stay at her bratty cousin’s house for the summer while her mom is in rehab. Selena might be completely depressed about the thought of staying with her relatives for the summer, but she initially tries to make the best of
Hailey Rose
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was amazing!!!! Review to come.
Abigayle Claire
This book was really impacting. I was drawn into Selena's story from the very beginning, but even then I had no idea just how powerful this book was going to be in the end. And the primary reason for that I power was how frank the entire story was. The author did not have any qualms about making her characters human and sharing the details of their stained lives. Thus the redemption at the end was all the more meaningful. The brokenness of the characters is what made it beautiful. Even though my ...more
Jillian
Aug 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Purple Moon is a beautiful debut novel from Tessa Emily Hall!

Selena's story drew me in from the first page. She has many difficult things going on in her life and she struggles to find the right way to deal with the suffering and past wounds. Selena was a protagonist I could really connect to and empathize with.

This story had a strong spiritual element that deeply resonated with me. I could connect with Selena's struggles to find God. I loved the themes of redemption and finding hope in tough
Kristen Hogrefe
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read Fallen Leaves, the sequel to Purple Moon, first and enjoyed it so much I went back and read this book. There is something about Hall's writing style that is so welcoming. It's as if the characters are friends, and we're catching up.

I highly recommend both books for young adult readers. Hall doesn't shy away from uncomfortable topics that teens face. Her characters realistically don't have all the answers, but they are growing in relationship to each other and to God.
J.C.
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
First of all, I did like this book. It had amazing writing and was an awesome work especially considering coming from a young author. In fact, I read it not even fully realizing that fact, for it is easily as good as most adult authors! While I did really enjoy it, there a few things I didn't like about it; overall though, I did think this was a good book.

I truly wanted to love this book. It seemed like such a beautiful and touching premise, seemed to be deep read with significant themes, and
Tarissa
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
To be truthful, I did have some mixed feelings while reading this one. I don't generally enjoy Young Adult fiction, as it usually branches too far into mature topics. Purple Moon does touch and explore such topics as underage drinking, smoking, and other adult situations -- but I didn't feel like this author pushed it too far. I felt like these kind of situations in Purple Moon were presented with great tact.

And you know what else? Sometimes Young Adult fiction can feel so "fake". Not so in this
Jesuschick13
Sep 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tessa is the kind of writer who captivates you in the first chapter. A connection is immediately gained between Selena and yourself. You become intrigued by the struggles she has endured and will withstand throughout the course of the book. If it had not been for being discovered by my parents, I would have pulled an all-nighter simply to reach the end of this enthralling novel.

This is without a doubt the best Christian novel I have read in a very long time. It is common to assume that it will
Josie
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teenagers ages 14+
I couldn't put Purple Moon down. I read it slowly to savor it, as it's one of the few good Christian YA books I've read. As someone who writes Christian YA contemporary, I found Purple Moon in a search for good Christian YA contemporaries to learn from. I was not disappointed!

Selena was an awesome narrator. Her thoughts about God and salvation were realistic, and I loved following her journey. I also thought the Huiets were well-done dynamic characters, and I adored the Brewers, and their coffee
Cheryl Thompson
Sep 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
PURPLE MOON will hit home in some way for every young person who reads it! Like most young people, Selena has big dreams, yet faces the same battles and struggles every teen confronts. Sometimes she stands strong; other times she sadly bends to conform to peer pressure or her own selfish desires. Yet Selena was grounded in Spiritual values as a young child, and although those she trusted have failed her, she has never totally turned her back on God and those early moral lessons. Hurt and ...more
Rebecca
Jun 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book immensely.I think Tessa Emily Hall is a very gifted new author and a Christian author at that , that is a plus for me who loves Chritian litterature.

The book deals with very actual issues for teenagers today and I think the youth will be able to identify themselves with the main Character Selena. I know I did! The message is very deep and moving. This is the first book that really brought tears to my eyes since reading Nicholas Sparks’ “the Notebook”. All I can say is
Lauraelisabeth (fashion-by-the-book)
I really loved this book!

So many Christian books go something like this: Perfect Mary Sue is the most perfect christian that ever lived, and has a perfect life and turns all her bad, unperfect, unchristian friends into people just like her! Yay!

Purple Moon wasn't like that, and I am SO glad!
Selena was a great character. She seemed so real, and I loved that she had actual imperfections. The book also covered a lot of problems, some that I deal with (anxiety, mostly)and it handled them very well.
Laura Kurk
May 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Debut YA author Hall has struck a perfect balance in Purple Moon between showing role models and being realistic. This story shows a gentleness and gracefulness rarely found in contemporary YA these days--offering a behind the scenes look at the heart of a girl who has lived life believing one thing about her family only to find out nothing is as it seems. Teens who are looking for answers will find protagonist Selena's honesty relatable and refreshing, and the eternal truths sprinkled ...more
Vicky Harris
Sep 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At first I was unsure about reading this book. Simpliy because it is geared toward young adults. But from the first page I immediately became hooked. The characters come to life and you immediately feel connected and drawn into the story. I rarely start reading a book that hooks me from the beginning. Starting from the first few pages I became hooked, not wanting to put it down. This is a must read and I will buy this book to give at out as a Christmas present.
And you can follow Selena on
Deborah
Jul 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I'm not sure what to think of this book. It's very deep and covers a lot of ground. But still... Selena is only sixteen and she's seen a lot in her lifetime--maybe a little bit too much. For me, it just didn't seem real.

I don't see most of the subjects of this book in me or my friends, you could say I live a really sheltered life--it's true. I can see though how this book would help a lot of people, and it's SO well-written. I have nothing against it--it just doesn't apply to me.
Katy Kauffman
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, favorites
This is a story of redemption, where God takes one life—with all its scars, fear, and pain—and turns it into something beautiful. In Purple Moon, we peer into the life of a teenage girl who once had beautiful dreams, but poor choices (not only her own) left them shattered. A summer at the lake turns her world upside down, and she finds hope—not a fairy tale hope that will never come true, but the hope of a reality in which God writes a story worth living and a true happy ending.
Katie Howard
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2013
Tessa is such an inspiration to all young adult writers out there. Her book is a very real depiction of teenage life. Beautiful story!
Ashley Townsend
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a must-read book! It is such an incredible story of brokenness and healing, of loneliness and God's amazing mercy and love. I was in tears for the last few chapters!
Lydia Howe
Caroline George
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
A captivating debut novel...
Set in picturesque Lake Lure, North Carolina, Purple Moon tells the story of struggling teenager, Selena, as she endures the summer at her aunt and uncle's mansion. Tormented by her snotty, Barbie-doll cousin and confronted with the scars of her past, Selena must reckon with the "skeletons in her closet" while also faced with romance, sorrow, and the truth behind unconditional love.
Tessa Emily Hall writes with natural ease and is fearless when describing the struggles
Jennifer Deviney
Jun 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Purple Moon is a breath of fresh air. It can warm your heart, take your breath, and provoke your thoughts all in one chapter.

This story went entirely beyond my expectations. I expected a book of teenagers, by a teenager, for teenagers, and apart from the remarkably young author, I was wrong on all accounts. The characters are lovable, but not without fault: they're real. There was suspense, laughter, love, sorrow, and everything else you could imagine in a book or in life. Every time the story
Theron StJohn
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I don't often read fiction, so reading this book was a detour from my typical reading. Yet, the story captured my attention and the storyline was captivating. As a Christian YA fiction book, my concern was that the characters would be painted in an unrealistic and cheesy way. However, this is not the case with 'Purple Moon'. Tessa presents characters in a real and raw way. She does not shy away from the reality of temptations some teenagers face, such as drinking, smoking, etc. I appreciated the ...more
Penny Tritt
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
PURPLE MOON, by Tessa Emily Hall, is an intriguing and inspirational read, which takes us into the life of 16-year-old Selena and her search for meaning and answers in both her family life and her social life. The character development in this book for teens and young adults by author Tessa Hall is insightful and even clever. The book is a true character study, yet the plot at times has one on the edge of her seat as she ends a chapter. It is apropos for any teen and a great read for young ...more
Shannon
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Purple Moon is a powerful story about a teenager named Selena and how she discovers her true identity. Tessa Emily Hall's gifted writing tells her story beautifully and although I am not a teenager, I could not put the book down as each chapter leaves you anticipating what will happen next! What I loved most is how real Selena's character was throughout the book when dealing with the issues she is faced with as the story unfolds. Her character is very relatable and inspiring.

I strongly
Joshua
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-shelf
Absolutely an amazing book!! Im not much of a reader. In fact, reading is one of my least favorite things to do. So its not likely for me to sit down and read books, besides the Bible. But the author was able to catch my attention and as I ended a chapter, I would have to keep reading to find out what happened next! Very good story! Loved how the story was written to Glorify God! Excellent read! I highly recommend this book!
Kathleen
Sep 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tessa E. Hall wrote an amazingly believable tale with memorable characters that people can relate to, even if they don't share the same back story. Hall also has an amazing way of letting the reader fall into the story and hang on every word and emotion. I actually had to stay up really late because I was hooked. Purple Moon was an incredible story. Definitely a great read!
Aria
Nov 22, 2018 rated it liked it
This was super well-written, but eh - the content was a little much. For me, at least. It wasn't bad, and there was redemption, but I didn't really care for some of the scenes. OH, and I wish that the Christian characters were a little more conservative.
Rayleigh
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“…without the dark, we’d never see the stars. There also would be no use for the moon if there was never night.” –Purple Moon

In Purple Moon, we read about Selena as she deals with very real struggles in her family, with her friends, and of course, with herself. She combats these problems head on, but when her efforts fail, she questions why she should even fight them if she’ll never succeed. And when Christianity is presented to her, she gawks at it because her problems are too real to be
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Girl Who Could See
  • Hidden Among the Stars
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, All a Person Needs Is a Little Perspective
  • The Book of Mysteries
  • The Paradox of Perfection
  • Leaving (Bailey Flanigan, #1)
  • Tales of Ever After
  • The Story Raider (The Weaver Trilogy, #2)
  • Bridge to Haven
  • Unseasonable: A Novel of Sisterhood, Storms, Sunblock, and the Occasional Christmas Celebration (Collapsible, #4)
  • Miss Willie
  • Double Take
  • The Prince of Thieves (Tales of Robin Hood by Alexandre Dumas #1)
  • All of This
  • The Story Peddler (The Weaver Trilogy, #1)
  • The Double Life of Pocahontas
  • Isle of Shadows (Seven Wonders, #3)
  • Fawkes
Tessa Emily Hall is an award-winning author who writes inspirational yet authentic books for teens to remind them they’re not alone. She writes both fiction and devotionals for teens, including her upcoming release, LOVE YOUR SELFIE (March 2020, Ellie Claire). Tessa's passion for shedding light on clean entertainment and media for teens led her to a career as a Literary Agent at Cyle Young ...more

Purple Moon (2 books)
  • Fallen Leaves
“Without the dark, we’d never see the stars. There also would be no use for the moon if there was never a night.” 21 likes
“My own life is a fairy tale story—one that has already been written by the hands of God.” 17 likes