Start by marking “After Home” as Want to Read:
After Home

After Home

With a friend like Felicia, Beth should have known she was never really going to settle into the quiet life of a widow. But now, five years after her husband's death, she's managed to make a simple life for herself, despite problems with her teenage daughter. However, things in the small-town community Beth thought would be a sleepy haven for her are about to get a lot mor ...more
Published November 19th 2013 by Carrie Crafton

To ask other readers questions about After Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After Home

Katie Chapman
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved It

Relationships - mothers, daughters, sons ,lovers, and friends - intertwined in a small town as healing and wholeness work in two women, a divorcee and a widow.
Cynthia
Jul 22, 2018 rated it did not like it
Droll

I am positive the author invested blood, sweat and tears in this novel, but not my cup of tea. So slow moving and boring. I closed up at chapter 6. Nothing happening. Did not finish the book.
Mary Jo Dial
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good book but started off very slow!

I enjoyed the storyline. Started off so slow I almost closed it. Once I got into the story it picked up but still doesn't move very fast. Just need to adjust to the way the author tells her story.
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Eh. I started out liking this book, but as it progressed, the writing became sloppier. I found the use of mild profanities annoying. A woman calling her knitting club friends (all older women) bitches? Who talks like that? Didn’t find that realistic. Predictable ending, totally cliché.
Patricia Whittington
Just So So

I kept reading this book hoping it would finally come alive for me. Just did not want to give up, but expectations did not improve for me.
connie reisdorf
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love within a family

Enjoyed reading this story of a family that survived death , relocation and new love. Very realistic and kept my interest right until the end!
Elizabeth A. Carpenter
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very good

It has been quite a while since I have found a book to just enjoy. A little wordy but worth the time!
Terry
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
11/2/16
MaryLee Alzner
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Time to find your own happiness

All parents have to make decisions for their children and their self. To accept the fall out and results is the story. This book is as true to life as ever written.
Pat
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Don't know why I read the whole thing, except I am on vacation with very little reading material available. A widowed woman of 5 years goes through ridiculous angst about getting back into life and dating, worrying about the reactions of her grown children, who treat her like crap.
Sandra
Jan 08, 2017 rated it liked it
This is an interesting book, and there were some things that I really liked and other things that seemed somewhat 'cheesy' to me. The plot with adults dating after losing a spouse to death or divorce is very familiar in this day and age, and the strong reactions of teenagers or grown children to their parents wanting to spend time with other adults in a dating relationship is also common. I think what bothered me the most about the book and what made it less enjoyable to me was its predictabilit ...more
Barbara Long-Schleckser
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nice story about finding yourself after a major life change. A little slow at times, but enjoyable.
Dora
Oct 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Life after a death in the family

This is a book about how a grieving woman eventually gets her life back on track. She even reconciles with her daughter who blames her for uprooting her and her brother after their father's death. It is the story of friendship and of making new friends.

This story was more of a 3.5 star read for me. I got kind of tired of the drama of the characters. After awhile it seemed like a bad soap opera. However, it ended on a good note which saved it in my opinion.
Nancy Wilkinson
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Something about a porch...

There's something about a book where the porch plays a prominent role. Porches like that symbolize warmth, friendship and family, and if those things are lacking, the porch will work it's charms. This book is no exception. A pleasant read, especially on a wonderful porch on earth summer days. The porch worked it's magic!
Rita
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of the best stories I have ever read!

This story, with all the twists, turns, ups and downs, was a page turner for me. This story speaks of love, loss, forgiveness and best of all...hope! I love how Carrie Crafton intertwined the characters and their stories. I highly recommend this book!
Yvonna
First three quarters of novel moved too slowly

The last quarter of the novel I finally found ground to finish. I almost threw the book away several times. I found Elsie a bit difficult to take at times. Actually, all the characters were flawed but in weird ways. I wanted everyone to grow up.
Judy Churchill
Nov 04, 2016 rated it liked it
I was disappointed in this book as it never went anywhere. The characters were flat and the story was insipid. I have a hard time giving up on a book once I've started it, but this was not a good choice for me.
Anne Turnley
Dec 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Terrific adult characters

Beth is trying to make anew life as a widow in Michigan. She spent her married years in Ireland but, moved back to the States after her husband's death. She gets involved in her new home town and meets a man.
Heather
Jan 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Better than I thought it was going to be after reading the first couple of chapters. I'm not usually into romance type books, but in this one the characters really developed well as the story went along. A pleasant surprise.
Rochelle Lockyer nesbitt
Oct 13, 2016 rated it did not like it
Yawn. Very slow. Didn't even want to finish it.
Linda M Ratzman
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So enjoyable

I was glad I started this book when I was sick and didn't need to put it down. Very enjoyable. Thanks.
Sharon Grim
May 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Nice but...

Nice people, setting and writing in general. I just got tired of everything being analyzed to death. It made me tired, and I stopped after a hundred pages. Sorry.
Margaret Fraleigh
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
This was an interesting story, great characters. Good lessons on love in a family.
Marilyn
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good

this book is one that shows how two friends from there college years remained best friends and how there families were part of this
Raquel Martin
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Thoughtful and sensitive exploration of the choices made by a woman widowed by an almost perfect spouse and the differing reactions of her children to her attempts to make sense of her life.
Wanda
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
I loved it. Especially since I am going through losing my husband and putting my life back together. It's important to remember that we all grieve in our own way and in our own time.
Alice
Nov 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-book, chicklit
show a transition from grief to contentment

mature female character
jean mcdonald
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great. Book

This book was. Interesting to read and made me want to be in that house. And to know those. People.
Donna
Oct 16, 2016 rated it did not like it
E-book did not finish
Joann
Jan 22, 2017
  • Duality (The Hitchhiker Strain, #2)
  • Awakened (The Legends Of Elyndia, #1)
  • The Ninth Floor
  • Sweet Magic Song (For Love of Fae, #1)
  • Vulture (The Ferryman + The Flame #3)
  • I Am Yours (Heartbeat, #3)
  • One Sweet Day: A Hope Falls Happily Ever After Novella (Hope Falls, #4.5)
  • Concealed by a Kiss (Hiding from Love #2)
  • Meet Your Match (No Match for Love, #0.5)
  • All I Ever Wanted: An Abbott Springs Anthology
  • Ignite (Ignite, #1)
  • Indigo Incite (Indigo, #1)
  • Torn: The Story of an Undeserving Wallaby Drowning in a Septic Tank
  • Reinventing Claire
  • The Mercury Travel Club
  • Painter Place (Painter Place Saga #1)
  • Stress Fracture (Dub Walker, #1)