Start by marking “Old Loyalty, New Love (L'Ange #1)” as Want to Read:
Old Loyalty, New Love (L'Ange #1)

Old Loyalty, New Love

(L'Ange #1)

When jackal shifter Quade Danas was banished from his pack for being gay, he spent years in the military escaping his father's prejudice before returning to civilian life as a bodyguard for Roman Howell, the teenage son of a very rich man. After Roman is in an accident that leaves him physically scarred and emotionally distant, Quade is the only one who can get through to ...more
Published December 13th 2013 by Dreamspinner Press (first published December 12th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Old Loyalty, New Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Old Loyalty, New Love

Start your review of Old Loyalty, New Love (L'Ange #1)
Julio Genao
Jun 25, 2014 rated it did not like it
oh, hey.

remember that time mary calmes set a 17yo boy on fire so that his bodyguard would be the only one in the world who could love him despite his melted face?

OMG SO ROMANTIC.

(view spoiler)
SheReadsALot

4.5 Stars--Mary Calmes slung her book crack shifter style with this one.

To which I say:

I know what I wanted when I came to this party.

I wanted possessive claiming.
I wanted "mine".
I wanted a little cray-cray that seemed to surround the main characters but somehow fucking worked for them.

And I got it.

Crackish Fiend is Happy.

I got a lot of "Yeah" and "What" dialogue too. :/ That could count toward the Con pile but the motherfucking Pros outweigh that con in this one for me.

Yes, the Calmesian
Emma Sea
Nov 22, 2013 marked it as probably-not
My Mary Calmes Addiction, or Why Jory Likes Pie

Mary Calmes's books are apple pies. They're all apple pies. Sometimes they have allspice in the apple mix, sometimes sultanas, sometimes they have a crispy crumble top instead of pastry. Sometimes they're tarte tatin. If apple pie doesn't do it for you - if you try one of her apple pies and think, "Bleurgh, apple," then a different apple pie is probably still not going to be your thing.

But sometimes you just love the warm homey feeling apple pie
* A Reader Obsessed *
4 Stars!

Well that certainly hit the spot for some yummy shifter goodness!

Props to Calmes, who of course brings her classic brand of over the top possessiveness, with some crazy ridiculousness, that simply works perfectly when it comes to the paranormal setting. Throw in her trademark, irresistible MC, and you’ll be hard pressed to not finish this in one go, as shenanigans ensue.

For me, the blurb hinted at something far more angstier than what I got, and I’m totally fine with that. Quade is a
DarienMoya
~SAME SHIT, DIFFERENT BOOK~

The Story: 2 Pants Off

I read this book a few years ago and I didn’t hate it, gave it a 3 s. I’m sure I’m being very generous with my new rating because something must have happened and I really kind of hate this.

The story is irritating, Quade is irritating even more so than Roman. Like how you gon have this poor boy disfigured badly and include the narrative that everyone else is like “ewww” except for one man who can see beyond his scars. That shit is hella played!!

Rosa, really

I needed something sweet and simple that I'd already read so I wouldn't feel the need to review it. However, I think it's only fair to share that...(view spoiler) I really like this book. It's gooey and sticky and makes my heart happy.

description

The above does not have much to do with this review -- I just love Colin Firth & Jon Stewart. So let's call it my Mary Calmes
Ingie
Written January 6, 2014

3 1/2 Stars - A witty, romantic and really entertaining shifter story... although I lacked that extra

It was time for a completely new shifter romance by the well-established author Mary Calmes and, as always, I had high expectations.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

First of all, "Old Loyalty, New Love" is really a very enjoyable PNR romance and it's nicely written. ...But I have still some ambivalence and mixed feelings about this book. I really don't know right now, if I like it quite a
Meags
4.5 Stars

Surprise, surprise, I loved it!

I read a lot of shifter stories and I love the possessive qualities of the romances within such stories. I crave all the epic mate bonds and the mine, mine, mine vibes, and thankfully all of that was present and accounted for in this first story within Calmes’ L'Ange series.

Uniquely, the shifter kind explored here was that of the jackal, tying back to ancient Egypt and the Greek God Anubis. I loved the deviation from the all too popular wolf/werewolf
Vivian
Dec 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: freebies, fr, romance-pn
Kinda a 'Beast and the Beast' story.

Nice sense of setting. Not that I know jack about Maine, but it sure did seem pretty. Plus, Roman living in the fairy tale castle on the hill sorta made it even prettier. Okay, so yeah, I guess I just flew with the fantasy world of Quade and Roman in this one.

Quade is hot, experienced and a lot more than he seems. I liked the little extra twist from a wolf shifter to jackal; it added a little pizzaz and fun background. I liked him, a lot. Understood honor and
Jenni Lea

Re-read 12/16/16. Loved it just as much, if not more, than the last time I read it.

****************************

Did I love it? Duh! It's Mary Freakin' Calmes!

Nuff said.
.Lili.
May 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, m-m-pnr
When I first started this book- up to almost the half way point- I thought I was in trouble.

I'm sure I was looking a little like this

I was having a hard time with the narrative. I just wasn't connecting with the characters and some things were a bit ott for me. But then-

All the ott sugary sweet love and possessiveness really won me over. I'm a total sucker for all the "Mate" talk. I can't help myself.

If you're in the mood for a sweet, smexy shifter story then look no further. 3.5 Stars. :)
Arthur
Dec 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing

A cinderfella shifter story. The basic plot is a common shifter story: a gay alpha-born shifter who was thrown by his family is now called back by his former pack because the current one is abusive and the pack's situation is declining. Combined that with a very rich but disfigured mate, plus Mary Calmes' usual style of writing (rapid tug of war in words between two characters), we get an interesting first book of a new shifter series.

What I like
-Mary Calmes managed to write her
Susan
Sep 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shifters, mm
Now this is how I like my Mary Calmes books. Possessive shifters, fluffy romance, hot sex.

Quade is a jackal shifter and kicked out of his pack for being gay (I don’t care how unoriginal this is, I like it).

description

He has been the bodyguard of Roman for the past 11 years. Roman is 27, but was in a terrible car crash when he was 18. He has severe burn wounds all over his body. Quade is the only one that sees the beauty beneath the scars.

The two of them are close and Quade has been in love with Roman for
Gina
Dec 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love shifter stories and I love M/M books, put the two together and I am anticipating a wonderful read. This book by Mary Calmes did not disappoint, I thoroughly enjoyed this story and the two MC’s captured my heart.

Quade Danas is a Jackal shifter, who was banished from his pack by his father the alpha when he came out that he was gay. After serving in the military Quade is now a bodyguard to 16 yr old Roman Howell.
Six months after being Roman’s bodyguard the young man is in a horrific bus
Gigi
Nov 21, 2013 rated it really liked it

"Adorableness! Review shortly."

That is what I wrote five months ago on December 18, 2013. Whoops! I tend to do that quite often, mark a book "read" and promise to review it soon, especially if I give the book 3 or 4 stars and doesn't "wow" me. From what I remember from this one, the first half was underwhelming but I enjoyed the second half.

Sorry, but that's all I have for you! I hope you enjoy it if you end up reading it!
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
Eh. That's the word I thought about when I finish this book. I was a bit uncomfortable with the age of Quade Danas; 46 years old is only three years younger than my dad. With Roman Howell being 27 years old, there was 19 years between them. I didn't mind that, not really, but being so close to my dad's age... just no. As far as the story went, it was interesting. Really it was. The book has potential, and I like how Mary Calmes gets that animalistic side of the characters forth. It's kinda ...more
Lilia Ford
Addictively readable and entertaining like all of Calmes' books. Also like all of her books, contains a long sequence in which characters shower love and admiration on one of the MCs--at the same time delivering heartfelt apologies for all the ways they wronged him. I am trying to overcome my inner cynic and just enjoy these scenes as feel-good hug-fests. Have not yet succeeded.

However, honesty compels me to confess that the moment I finished this, I purchased another of her books, Frog which
Natasha
Classic Mary Calmes.

I don't read too much Calmes. It's usually just not my taste. This one was rather enjoyable though.
The writing is very good, as always. Total prima donna bitchy, whiny MC, as always.
Seems like a long book for not a ton of stuff happening.
Quade was pretty enjoyable. Roman needed a punch in his melty wax face.
Classic Calmes dialogue that makes me snort.
I kissed his cheek hard and then tipped his head sideways with my nose and suckled his neck, nibbling and licking.
“Oh God,
☆ Todd
Jul 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I don't read shifter stories very often, but this one was very good.

I loved Roman's confidence, in spite of his scarred appearance, and the fact that he wouldn't let Quade get away with a single thing.

"You're the alpha? That's nice. Now, go do this for me and be quiet." I loved it. : )

Their relationship was really fun and playful, without it really seeming like either was domanant over the other. Quade would be strong when needed, then it was Roman's turn.

The entire book really worked for me and
JR
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: shifter lovers
Roman Howell owns a magnificent estate called L'Anges. It was left to him when his parents passed away. He's wealthy, a smart business man, and philanthropist. However, a tragic accident when he was in high school, has marred his perfect life.

Quade Danas is Roman's bodyguard. He has been for eleven years, and for eleven years has hidden a secret that could get him banished from Roman's life.

I enjoyed this very much. I like shifter stories, and this is one of the better ones. On to number two.
Ije the Devourer of Books
Nov 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love shifter stories.

I love Mary Calmes' stories.

And so I knew I was going to love this and I did, very much.

The story had a Christmas feel to it as well. So really just perfect for me. And I knew it would be. I don't even have to read the blurb for a MC book. I just press buy.

BUT there is always room for improvement. I need more. I need Adam de Soto's story. I want to know what and who he is.

I like that. A story which is fulfilling and complete but leaves you hungry for more.

Perfect!!
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love it. Love it. Love it.

I am a sucker for good dialogue and characters that really get each other, and both abound here. Roman and Quade are like an old married couple right from the start, and their obvious attachment and affection keep you hooked while you wait for Quade to figure it out. Can't wait to read the next one.
Melissa
DNF as expected. I just couldn't. The story, the drama, the possessiveness was just too much. I am really going to have to weed thru the MC books on my TBR and remove anything shifter related. It's too much. I can see the attraction to this story and probably would have loved it if I wasn't already burned out from MC.

2 dnf stars.
M'rella
I am not sure why Roman had to be set on fire. Mary Calmes already set him up with such a tragic family history, you think "WTF? Give the kid a break." Right? NO - Off With His Face!
But what is the purpose of this ...exercise? Kids in college couldn't care less about his scars. Everyone in the state of Maine (and beyond) still wants Roman. His injured face does not pose any difficulties to him, once he stopped the surgeries. He himself sometimes uses it for 'shocking' purposes or excuses when
Josy
~ 3.5 stars ~

I really liked Roman and Quade together and their relationship was all that I expected from a Mary Calmes book - growly, sexy possessiveness and alpha-males.
Roman's confidence despite his scarred appearance was a joy and I loved that he went after the man he wanted and wasn't discouraged by Quade's hesitancy.

The first half of the book felt kinda all over the place because there were so many things happening in just a few hours that my head started spinning. The second half was
Barbara➰
This has been on my tbr list for a couple of years and I finally got around to reading it. It was definitely different than how I like my mate stories but I persevered and kept reading. It is Mary Calmes after all...

I loved Roman. He was sweet and hurt but strong and resilient. He finally decided he was having no more of Quade's pushing away and standoffishness and went after his man. It took me a bit to warm up to Quade. He got on my nerves with his back and forth with Roman. One minute he's
Madison Warner Fairbanks
Old Loyalty, New Love by Mary Calmes

Paranormal romance. 1st in a series. M-M.
Alpha pack dynamics. Ethics and goodness overcomes the criminal. Possessive shifters. Hot sex. Sublime mated romance.

Excerpt:
“I’ll call you later.”
“Yes. Please.”
“You’re being stupid.”
“Because you were purposely baiting me instead of simply giving me the words you know I needed to hear.”
“Words are cheap. Actions mean more.”
“Words secured by action are best.”
“What the h does that mean?”
“You say, ‘Roman I won’t
Karen
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
'Old Loyalty, New Love' will definitely not go down in history as one of my favourite Mary Calmes books. I enjoyed most of it but for me it just didn't quite make the grade. 2.5 stars rounded up to 3 for GoodReads.

The premise of this book sounded good and it's Mary Calmes so I was sure I would love it, but in the end things just didn't work out that way for me. I liked the MC's Roman & Quade. They were good together. Things started to fall apart when Quade's sister showed up and suddenly all
Wendy
Review to come.....unless I'm lazy ;)

Enjoyed this little shifter story, but I still like Jory better :)) 3,5 - 4 stars
Dee
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it

I reread this in preparation for Fighting Instinct L'Ange 2. It's pretty much how I remembered it, lovely Mary Calmes hot sauce for the soul. Tasty man loving with syrupy schmaltz and a smattering of blood - just the way I like it! Quade Danas is a shifter, quite a bit older and yet somehow undone by Roman Howell's scarred millionaire (yes, he's a millionaire, an awesome one!) survivor. What I often enjoy with Mary Calmes is the family feeling - secondary characters scatter the pages
Dreamspinner Press: Old Loyalty, New Love by Mary Calmes 1 14 Dec 13, 2013 01:40PM

• His Omega (Werewolves of Manhattan, #1)
  • In Your Eyes (Mates, #3)
  • Strength of the Mate (The Tameness of the Wolf, #3)
  • Guarded
  • Scarred Mate (Werewolves of Manhattan, #3)
  • Wake Me Up Inside (Mates, #1)
  • Physical Therapy (St. Nacho's #2)
  • Free Hand (Irons and Works, #1)
  • Dance With Me (Dancing, #1)
  • Remy’s Painter (Werewolves of Manhattan, #2)
  • Coming Home (Firsts and Forever #9)
  • The Long Way Home
  • Mind Magic  (Triad, #1)
  • NoX
  • Timber Pack Chronicles (Timber Pack Chronicles #1)
  • The Mating Game (The Omega Auction Chronicles, #3)
  • Axel's Pup (Werewolves & Dragons, #1)
  • Kage (Kage Trilogy, #1)
Mary Calmes believes in romance, happily ever afters, and the faith it takes for her characters to get there. She bleeds coffee, thinks chocolate should be its own food group, and currently lives in Kentucky with a five-pound furry ninja that protects her from baby birds, spiders and the neighbor’s dogs. To stay up to date on her ponderings and pandemonium (as well as the adventures of the ninja) ...more

L'Ange (3 books)
  • Fighting Instinct (L'Ange, #2)
  • Chosen Pride (L'Ange, #3)
“He was exhausting. “You know I only want to sleep with you,” I blurted out. His sigh was both annoying and sweet at the same time. “Now, you see? Was that so hard?” I could actually visualize my hands around his throat, squeezing. “You’re thinking about throttling me, aren’t you?” He really did know me very well.” 8 likes
“His smile was luminous. “I will say, though, in whatever form you take, wolf or man, you’re absolutely breathtaking.” Jesus. “And both will belong to me.” 6 likes