Start by marking “The Warrior Prophet (The Prince of Nothing, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Warrior Prophet (The Prince of Nothing, #2)

The Warrior Prophet (The Prince of Nothing #2)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  10,264 Ratings  ·  251 Reviews
"Book Two of The Prince of Nothing" finds the Holy War continuing its inexorable march southward. But the suspicion begins to dawn that the real threat comes not from the infidel but from within...Steering souls through the subtleties of word and expression, Kellhus strives to extend his dominion over the Men of the Tusk. The sorcerer Achamian and his lover, Esmenet, submi ...more
Published October 25th 2005 by Overlook TP (first published June 18th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Warrior Prophet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Warrior Prophet

Twerking To Beethoven
Here we see philosophy brought to what is, in fact, a precarious position, which should be made fast even though it is supported by nothing in either heaven or earth. Here philosophy must show its purity as the absolute sustainer of its laws, and not as a herald of laws which implanted sense or who knows what tutelary nature whispers to it.
—IMMANUEL KANT, FOUNDATIONS OF THE METAPHYSICS OF MORALS

There you go, a quote from one Immanuel Kant's essays at the very beginning of the book. And that's
Mike
May 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, war, epics, reviewed
Observational aside: I will rarely reread books. Once I finish a book it is usually off to the next one, with few exceptions. In this case the sixth book in the series, The Great Ordeal, is coming out soon, a book I have waited nearly five years for, and I wanted to give myself a refresher on the entire series before it was released. I don't recall the first time I read "The Prince of Nothing" trilogy but Goodreads assures me it was before I joined this website. Since then I have read literally ...more
Tammy
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Scott Bakker is officially one of my favorite authors.
This book was awesome from the start and only got better. The characters have been introduced in the first book, we know their back story, we know them...and now they're all together. One thing I love about this book is how characters CHANGE due to their circumstances. Characters who've felt betrayal so strong they just die inside, characters that literally go mad.
I'm not a fast reader but I read the first one in 7 days n this in 10. The ta
RogueHireling
May 20, 2009 rated it did not like it
I should probably make a shelf named "Abandoned" because thats what this book is ending up as. I made it about half way and just cant bring myself to pick it up anymore.

To call this a painful read is an understatement! I would give it negative stars if I could. Every single character in the story has been reduced to completely despicable stereotypes, leaving not a single likable thing about the story untouched.

As the rest of the storyline is about the atrocities of marching an army from point a
Artemas
This book delivered what The Darkness that Comes Before promised. Outlandish names for the various characters/sects/regions make more sense here and, as a result, the story feels more refined and seamless. In this second installment of the Prince of Nothing series, Bakker offers the reader fantastic scenes of action and depravity while continuing to weave plots through his interesting characters.

Many of the hardships which the army faces remind me of similar situations during Steven Erikson’s Ma
Luke Burrage
Second time through, and as an audiobook, I enjoyed more than the first time.

I think it's better than the first book too. However, like Empire Strikes Back and Star Wars, or even the first two Hunger Games movies, the second can only be better due to building on the first. Building on the story and characters.

Kellhus is fucking terrifying. Probably one of the best villains in any fantasy book I've read. Also, weirdly, one of the best heroes.

Full review on my podcast, SFBRP episode #269.
Yasiru (reviews will soon be removed and linked to blog)
Many threads of the previous entry to the series were brought together at its conclusion, and this volume continues this rather original story with a more unified and committed spirit. It may be exactly because it was more straightforward and linear that I found The Warrior Prophet somewhat simplistic compared to The Darkness that Comes Before. Certainly other problems in the volume were compounded by the approach and came across too keenly.

The battles are up to par and I continue to enjoy the w
Pietro
This second volume of the "Prince of Nothing" trilogy is weaker than the first under every aspect.

First of all, the plot fails to build upon the excellent foundations set in "The Darkness that comes before" resulting unmemorable and entirely predictable.
If you've read the first volume then you already know everything that's going to happen here.

Second, the atmosphere.
Remember that awesome feel of brooding darkness with unseen demonic threats in the first book? GOOD! Hold tight to that memory
Redeagl
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I were to describe this book with one word, it would be EPIC.
BookBandit
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'll keep this short since I am moving right on to book 3. I dinged the 1st book a little because it took awhile for the story to gel together/get going (but once it did, it did so nicely). The Warrior Prophet picks up right where the first book left off and it is a great story cover to cover. If you liked the 1st book, this book continues a great story. If you haven't read the 1st book yet, this book is 1 more reason to start this trilogy.
Daniel Roy
Sep 29, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, sf
The sequel to The Darkness That Comes Before comes swinging out of the gate, but it spends its creative energies pretty fast. The novel does deliver on the promise of the first book: we get to see the Holy War well under way, and the result is pretty exciting. But most of the story is spent taking characters in unsatisfying directions. The writing is still pretty solid, although Bakker really needs to cut back on his usage of the adverb "fairly."

The biggest problem I had with the story here is K
Gamma Mouse
Sep 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There weren’t enough superlatives to describe the brilliance of R. Scott Bakker’s first volume in “The Prince of Nothing” trilogy, “The Darkness That Comes Before”. After such an astounding debut, I wondered if the second volume could match the intellectual depth and overall intensity of the first book. Well, “The Warrior-Prophet” more than lives up to the lofty standards set by the previous book, providing one of my favorite fantasy reading experiences ever.

Reading Bakker’s work is like being d
Debdip Chakraborty
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Spellbound. Colossal. The term "Epic" falls short of describing this. Full review coming soon!
Michael
Oct 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In my review for The Darkness That Comes Before, I mentioned that the book was mostly spent setting the scene for the holy war that was about to begin. In The Warrior-Prophet, the war is very much underway. The book follows the progression of the army through all sorts of terrains and and all sorts of horrific setbacks.

There's a LOT of violence. Bakker's method of writing the war scenes is reminiscent of The Illiad: he is clearly trying to capture all of the important events, such as the succes
Jason
Aug 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, reread, read-2015
5 Stars

This is my reread through book two in The Prince of Nothing series by R. Scott Bakker. The Warrior Prophet was nearly impossible to put down again...Where book one excelled in the dialogue and the philosophy behind the story. This one is an action gem. Our two main heroes are front and center through out this intelligent fantasy. Akka follows his beliefs and his man Kellhus. The journey is vast and the action is intense.

Kellhus becomes entwined with Cnaiür a tribe chief with revenge on
Noel Thingvall
Feb 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
PROS: Every bit as meticulous, challenging, and absorbing as the first volume. The heart of this story is a Holy War, and I love the honest depiction of just how hard it is to assemble various factions and their sub factions and their sub factions and vaguely shove them in the direction of your enemy with the hopes that too many of your own villages won't get plundered before they read the destination. Magic fully comes into play and is a rich and complicate mixture of mathematics and philosophy ...more
Robert
Oct 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What Bakker began in "The Darkness That Comes Before," he continues to excellent effect in "The Warrior Prophet." I can't imagine a book better tailored to my current tastes and needs, bringing together the strengths of some of my more cherished authors -- Umberto Eco's genius at illuminating history, the dark imagination of a Clark Ashton Smith and Michael Shea's gift for language -- delivered with economic plotting and gifted character craft that allows for very little wasted motion. The book ...more
Ryan
Aug 12, 2013 rated it did not like it
I hope the "bad guys" win because this world needs to end. Of the major Characters only Achamian has any real redeeming qualities. Basically I hope that GRRM writes the third book and kills everybody off.
Mike Hillcoat
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Many authors over the history of SFF, but especially the last half century, have attempted the saga, a narrative epic stretched across many volumes of books. Arguably, there are many a mythos that have stood the test of a century and more that have anticipated and preceded The Second Apocalypse but few can match the insane talent, training, and ambition of its author, R. Scott Bakker.

Spoilers for The Darkness That Comes Before (TDTCB) below:

The Warrior-Prophet (TWP) opens on a Holy War converged
agata
May 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of fantasy who want to explore psychological and philosophical questions
Recommended to agata by: Jasper
Shelves: reviewed, szafa
Everything I said about the first book in the series applies also to the second volume in this triology.

And while it's still all about human psychology Bakker furthers here his exploration with a new theme: Transformation.

In the first volume we met our main protagonists and were introduced to the psychological - and sometimes philosophical - questions they pose. The second volume tells us the story of a transformative event: The Holy War itself.

The Holy War brings agony and pain. It's torture.

An
Bryan
May 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book better than the first one. I felt extremely engaged by what was happening to Achamian, Cnaiur, and even Xinemus, while in The Darkness That Comes Before I didn't feel too connected to any of the male characters. Unfortunately, the female characters, although still interesting, were somewhat less interesting than they were in the first book, which I found to be a shame. I did, however, feel that Bakker showed the women to be believable people who had well-defined and individual ...more
Matt
Nov 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it
Just as good the second time around
Ian Vance
Jul 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi

“A book was never ‘read.’ Here, as elsewhere, language betrayed the true nature of the activity. To say that a book was read was to make the same mistake as the gambler who crowed about winning as though he’d taken it by force of hand or resolve. To toss the number-sticks was to seize a moment of helplessness, nothing more. But to open a book was by far the more profound gamble. To open a book was not only to seize a moment of helplessness, not only to relinquish a jealous handful of heartbeats
Ben
May 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy-noir
This is an odd one. On the one hand, I want to give this at least three stars for for writing style and an interesting and deep world with a well thought out background. On the other, I want to give this a one star for essentially a rather boring follow up to the much more promising The Darkness That Comes Before, and an excessive amount of rape and generally unpleasant sex scenes.

Bakker's writing is easy to read and flows well, while at the same time being sophisticated and interesting and very
Jurgen_i
Jan 02, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I put to the first book 5 points. The Warrior Prophet is also good, sometimes great. But i put only 1 point. Scott Bakker sought to spoil the book with much efforts. A tricky job. I don't know, why.

N.B. This review doesn't contain spoilers, since the main spoiler is the author. The plot is based on events of the first crusade, which ended with crusaders' victory and capture of the holy city. Look at the content: first march, second march, third march. Now you know, holy army won't be defeated un
Tamsin Barlow
May 24, 2009 rated it it was ok
They should actually have a catagory called "Abandoned." After reading nearly 300 pages of this book, which is the 2nd in the series, I ditched it in frustration. So I think my opinion should have some credibility since I paid my dues an really gave it the old college try. Once again the writer falls under the misapprehension that his writing is too good to edit one single word out. Far too many characters (42 major ones) and just plain silly (and not in the amusing way). Bits of brilliance, but ...more
Quintin Zimmermann
May 31, 2015 rated it it was ok
Noooooooooooo!!! Why did it all go so wrong? After an incredible debut by R. Scott Bakker in The Darkness That Comes Before, we get this pile of steaming mess.

Everything that was great about his debut novel has been reduced to Nothing.
Eduardo Schimitt
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Review Soon™...
Vuk Prlainović
Nov 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The previous one was, so-so, though the last quarter was quite good and showed promise. But this one... I loved it! I'm a believer, and will be grabbing the next one as soon as I get the chance.
Bbrown
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
Despite a promising beginning, this series botched the characters, plot, and story structure so badly that it isn't worth reading. Whether you're looking for good writing and deeper meaning or just an entertaining fantasy story, you'll find neither here.

Let's start with story structure: despite ostensibly being a series, none of the three books here stand by themselves, instead each abruptly ends and then immediately starts up again in the next volume. Thus, The Prince of Nothing is a single boo
  • An Autumn War (Long Price Quartet, #3)
  • Stonewielder (Novels of the Malazan Empire, #3)
  • Caine Black Knife (The Acts of Caine, #3)
  • Memories of Ice (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #3)
  • The Heretic Kings (The Monarchies of God, #2)
  • Bloodheir (The Godless World, #2)
  • Dragonfly Falling (Shadows of the Apt, #2)
Richard Scott Bakker, who writes as R. Scott Bakker and as Scott Bakker, is a novelist whose work is dominated by a large series informally known as the The Second Apocalypse which Bakker began developing whilst as college in the 1980s.

The series was originally planned to be a trilogy, with the first two books entitled The Prince of Nothing and The Aspect-Emperor. However, when Bakker began writin
More about R. Scott Bakker...

The Prince of Nothing (3 books)
  • The Darkness That Comes Before (The Prince of Nothing, #1)
  • The Thousandfold Thought (The Prince of Nothing, #3)

“Love is lust made meaningful. Hope is hunger made human.” 28 likes
“There was such a difference, he thought, between the beauty that illuminated, and the beauty that was illuminated.” 17 likes