Start by marking “The Huntsman's Amulet (Society of the Sword, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Huntsman's Amulet (Society of the Sword, #2)

The Huntsman's Amulet

(Society of the Sword #2)

Alone in a foreign land, Soren must come to terms with loss and a gift that has been as much a burden as a benefit.

A long abandoned city may hold the answers he seeks about the Gift of Grace, but a lethal assassin proves that old enemies have not forgotten him.

As misfortune pulls him ever farther from an unsettled score, he finds hope in an unexpected place…

The Huntsman's
Published November 21st 2013 (first published November 20th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Huntsman's Amulet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Huntsman's Amulet

Start your review of The Huntsman's Amulet (Society of the Sword, #2)
Timothy Boyd
Mar 16, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Man these are a great fun read. Tons of action throughout and a fast paced story. Very enjoyable & Very recommended
Pauline Ross
That difficult middle book of the trilogy? Nope, no problem. Just send the hero off in a different direction altogether, with a bit of seafaring and... pirates! What could be better than chasing around the oceans, with a sea battle and a storm and... and... You can probably fill in some of the blanks here. Very little of this took me by surprise, but that doesn’t make it any less of an enjoyable romp.

The plot is, in many ways, a choppier affair than in ‘The Tattered Banner’. Main character Soren
Soo
Oct 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook, reviewed
3 Stars for Story, 4 Stars for Narration by Derek Perkins = 3.5 Stars

Mini-Review:

The swashbuckling story goes to sea! There were a few unexpected twists that made me smile in delight for the story development. This is definitely a fun story to share with kids.

I had hoped for more background on the magic angle and got it. Just enough to flesh out some details but not enough to answer all questions. A good mix.

This book did have the trilogy feel by not having a solid ending but it wasn't in a ma
Nicua
Nov 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the first book in the volume and I also enjoyed this book immensely. Soren is a very likeable character; strong, very relateable and has the strengths and weaknesses that make us human. I enjoy accompanying him on his journey and adventures, seeing where Duncan has taken this story as the tale continues. Soren finds himself alone in a new, unfamiliar land, he has experienced loss, fear, betrayal and now he must continue.
He holds a gift that has great power, but who knows what the rest
Steve Naylor
Jun 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Rating 3.5 stars.

The rating for this book is a little lower than the last book. This book felt more like just another chapter in a much larger book. Which in essence it really is, since I got the entire trilogy on audible.com for the price of one book. Soren is off to look for the woman he loves. He just barely escaped execution in the first book, so while he searches for his lost love, he has to worry that assassins are on his trail. While doing this he is also trying to learn more about his
LJ
Aug 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Book two does not skip a beat in this well written, smartly paced series. Duncan Hamilton manages to thread the needle, ever so skillfully, by developing characters in his gifted writing, complete with unexpected, tragic, yet, inspirational events that are very specific and integral to this epic series. The discoveries are emotional, tragic and yet continue to be inspiring. Onto book three as this series continues to thrill, engage and inspire, again work exceedingly well done, Thank you, Duncan ...more
Christopher Qualls
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Garbage.

Deviates greatly from the real story.

The character rarely encounters anything of a challenge--he just floats through the story.

Poor writing.

Poor story.

Self indulgent.

Boring.

Still a better love story than twilight.
Bob
Sep 28, 2021 rated it it was ok
This one was far worse than the first. It's a long a boring tale of the MC looking all over creation for a literal whore he is infatuated with. Nothing. Happens. ugh ...more
James Tomasino
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
See my review of The Tattered Banner ...more
Muhammad Gibran
Dec 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, action, adventure

finally some mage show up. this book feel kinda short and long at the same time.

Himanshu Modi
May 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Series Review: The series started with a lot of promise. It does not quite hook you the way the best "series" do, where you know you are in for a long-winded adventure and even look forward to it. Still, the poor, wretched, underdog who is invariably going to master his domain and vanquish baddies is a theme that can have enough twists to be fun.

Unfortunately, the series plays out like a video game story, in which the hero is plodding on from one stage to the next till he reaches a boss fight w
JM
Nov 08, 2020 rated it liked it
A bit shorter and much faster-paced than it's predecessor, this one starts with Soren looking for Alessandra in the city of Auracia after they both were forced to flee Ostenheim due to having being made pawns in Amero's bid to become Duke and go to war with their neighboring states, especialy Ruripathia, so that both their lives came crashing down as a result.

However, Soren is unable to find her and, after foiling an attempt on his life by Amero's assassins, decides to spend his time researching
Richard Radgoski
This novel picks up pretty much where the first novel ends. Soren has followed Allesandra hoping to get past old differences and rekindle their flame (while also getting out of their home country to avoid Amero, the new Duke who had orchestrated the death of the last one.

But Allesandra isn't there. Hesearches for months and ultimately decides she didn't or couldn't follow through with his suggestion. He instead turns to hunting down more information about his gift.

What follows is a different bo
Yablon
Mar 14, 2020 rated it liked it
I was right in thinking that all of the main problems with the 1st book in this series had been left behind by the ending. Everything I truly dislike about it isn't present here.

This book is rather unique for the second book in a trilogy in that it almost entirely moves away from the plot of the first entry in the series. The events of The Tattered Banner have consequences here and the political situation created continues to develop but the actual story here concerns characters locations and co
Aaron Clarke
Apr 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Lots of promise but a few things that let it down. The pacing is off, for me. It seems as if the plot is something to continually push through, and this is at the expense of any serious character development, barring the main protagonist. In fantasy there can definitely be a tendency to bloat books unnecessarily, but in this case, I think some attention to character development - particularly ancillary characters - would have made the impact of some of those plot points stronger. As it was, inte ...more
Madeline
Jun 21, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, but definitely missing a big chunk of story

Not sure if it’s an error on the part of the publisher or the author, but there’s a massive chunk of story resolution that just. Doesn’t happen. Absolutely noticeable and totally confusing. Basically the entire end of the book doesn’t happen - partially explained by Our Hero being mostly unconscious at the end (as per usual), but there is clearly a significant number of days where he was at least partially conscious. No record of that though…..so
Rick
Mar 18, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started this book wondering if this was going to be a classic middle book in a trilogy. It was. It wandered here and there, anywhere but nowhere. But, I found the wandering pleasant enough. Though, tbh, there were parts where I expected Yoda to pop up - probably because I was hearing distant echoes of Skywalker heading off to finish his training with ‘the force’, um, no, ‘the gift’. I enjoyed it enough to move on to read the last of the three, I just hope there’s no “I am your father Soren” mo ...more
Adam Faderewski
Jan 08, 2019 rated it liked it
A rather meandering and scattered novel. The big bad is hardly mentioned or present and his proxy isn’t given time to develop into a character we should care about. The main villain in the novel comes off as your typical pirate trope and again doesn’t get much development. It seems the book was padded out a lot and only was written so the saga would be a trilogy. There’s a lot in this book that could have been condensed into the first book or transitioned into the third.
Jamie
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
An interesting second volume to the Society of the Sword trilogy. Much heavier on adventure and lighter on intrigue than Book I, with a somewhat unorthodox structure and flow, but enjoyable nevertheless. Not high literature, but highly entertaining.
Alexander Johnson
Our Hero’s Journey Continues

If you’re a fan of the series, then you definitely have to read this book. The story of our hero becomes more complex as he dedicates more time to discovering the extent of his abilities.
Marko
May 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: my-kindle
I was expecting a solid sequel, but I found too much distraction and random events that took 90% of the book. The writing itself is still a pleasure to read, but then again, I could have read this as a standalone thingy, not as part of the trilogy.
Katrina Evans
Feb 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Audio Review

Much the same as book 1, decent fast paced adventure story with a good narrator.

I enjoyed book 1 slightly more than this one but I'm intrigued enough about how the story will end to have book 3 already lined up.

Matthew Lowe
Apr 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid novel

Enjoyable characters, interesting plot, and very good fight scenes. Feels very rushed in some places, like it could have used another 20 pages to flesh out some things, especially near the end.
John Stonebraker
Jul 25, 2020 rated it liked it
This book seemed unnecessary. It wasn’t bad, but by the end of the book, the plot had advanced to about the point you figured you’d be at about 1/2 a chapter after the first book. Also lost a star for the profanity.
Reggie B
Aug 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
Overall, it was pretty enjoyable, but the climax was a real let down. The author's inclination not to draw things out too long is sometimes refreshing, but when significant events in the book happen, they sometimes feel rushed and less momentous than they should.

Pickyreader
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very fun

This was a fun adventure. I can't wait to continue on to the last book. Duncan Hamilton spins an amazing tale.
Scott Wozniak
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
The plot was not stuck in normal patterns and the writing improved from the first book. It was a solid action/adventure story.
Ilana
Feb 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I almost seems like there was no overall plot outside of finding the girl. For a fantasy, its very tame.
Martina Fagan
Aug 27, 2018 rated it liked it
An okay second book in a series. A bit slow but a good read.
Zachariah
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The trilogy is progressing in a totally unexpected way. A good way. Onto the third.

• The Ranger's Lament (The King's Ranger #6)
  • Raise the Banner (The King's Ranger #5)
  • The Ranger's Path (The King's Ranger #2)
  • The Song of the First Blade (The Bladeborn Saga, #1)
  • The Last Shadow Knight (Shadow Knights Trilogy, #1)
  • The King's Ranger (The King's Ranger #1)
  • Court of Assassins (The Ranger Archives, #1)
  • Rise of the Shadow (The Shadow Knights Trilogy #2)
  • The Exile (The Bound and the Broken, #2.5)
  • The Ranger's Sorrow (The King's Ranger #4)
  • Remove the Shroud (The King's Ranger #3)
  • A Queen's Command (Legend of Tal, #2)
  • Of Blood and Fire (The Bound and the Broken, #1)
  • A Warrior's Burden (Saga of the Known Lands, #1)
  • Of Darkness and Light (The Bound and the Broken, #2)
  • The Forest of Ire (The 13th Paladin #9)
  • Rise of the Ranger (The Echoes Saga, #1)
  • A King's Bargain (Legend of Tal, #1)
See top shelves…
Hi, thanks for visiting my page. I’m Duncan, a fantasy and science fiction author from Ireland. I love to blend my passion for Medieval and Renaissance history with the freedom of fantasy environments to create fast paced heroic fantasy adventures with compelling characters and high stakes—exactly the types of stories that I love to read, so I hope you’ll like them too.

You can find more of my onli

Society of the Sword (3 books)
  • The Tattered Banner (Society of the Sword, #1)
  • The Telastrian Song (Society of the Sword, #3)