Start by marking “The Dead Virgins (The India Sommers Mysteries, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Dead Virgins (The India Sommers Mysteries, #1)

The Dead Virgins

(The India Sommers Mysteries #1)

India Sommers is a librarian and a talented historian, so when a stranger asks her opinion on an ancient coin she is happy to oblige but when the same man is murdered less than an hour later, it soon becomes apparent that there is far more to the situation than meets the eye.

Recognising her unique talents for historical reference, she is quickly recruited by Brandon Walk
Published December 10th 2013 by Silverback Books (first published July 24th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Dead Virgins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dead Virgins

Paul
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Choosing a work of historical fiction can be something of a Marmite moment for me, you either love it or hate it, but in this instance I'm pleased to say I loved it.

What makes this book stand apart from others is that the author has beautifully entwined both the historical with the modern. This creates a thrilling tale that not only provides us with a colourful insight into life in ancient Rome, through the telling of Rubria's story and that of her escape from the tyrannical Nero, it also envelo
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A potentially good storyline spoiled in my view by a very unsophisticated and rather annoying hero and heroine. It was as if, at times, I was reading something from the 'Famous Five' series. Very 'jolly hockey sticks' in humour. The heroine often kicks and punches the hero in a teenage 'mock indignant' fashion throughout the book. Whilst in Rome they both drooled over beef and yorkshire pudding rather than the "foreign muck"(!). In fact the author seemed to relish talking about very plain & ...more
Denise
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The story had potential but it didn't flow. The characters were 2 dimensional and very annoying. There was no tension or excitement built by the narrative. I probably won't be reading the sequels.
Michelle
Mar 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Probably 2.5 stars. I enjoyed the storyline, but the writing style didn't really work for me. I didn't ever really connect with the two central characters, either.
Katherine Coble
2.5

So. Many. Infodumps.
This book is yet another DaVinci Code clone, where comparative religious studies are mined to create a (not very thrilling) thriller, complete with typos and misspellings galore. (People do not worship at an "alter".)
The historical details were mildly interesting. Nothing else was. Oddly enough the historical details--told in protracted infodumps--are the best part of the book. The rest of it is chasing around England and Greece to find clues. Both of the modern day hero
Marian
Dec 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book in a Facebook promotion group. The synopsis immediately caught my attention. From the first paragraph K.M. Ashman had me. I couldn't put the book down. I've told everyone about it, and now they are reading it and texting me how much they love it.
It is unique in that one chapter is in 2010 and the next in 64 AD and how the two tie into each other. The mystery and flow of the story were excellent.
Melody
Jun 22, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So many errors it detracted from the story. Great premise, but edit your book before you publish it please!
Carly
India Sommers, librarian and old coin aficionado, is going about her normal business when a mysterious man stumbles into her library, asks her to examine a curious ancient coin, stumbles back out, and is murdered. When the enigmatic Brandon Walker asks for her aid to tie the artifact to a high-profile kidnapping and a string of brutal murders, India is thrown into a breakneck adventure that leads her all over Europe as well as back in the past. The novel deftly interweaves the 64AD narrative of ...more
Kathie
Oct 12, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While I appreciated the amount of research the author completed to write this and found the subject interesting, his writing was much too sophomoric for my taste. And the large number of unedited typos always annoys me.
Michele bookloverforever
alternates between 94 and 2010 in alternating chapters. I found the story about the Crystal virgin more interesting than the one set in modern times.
Blagica
Mar 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2015
this was an okay read. I wanted more history then i did present day but for a free book it was good
Emilee
Danielle Bonam
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
**Spoiler Alert**

India Sommers is a 26 year old librarian with a passion for history and coin identification, her life seems rather bland. That is until a mysterious murder outside the library brings Brandon into her life. Brandon, a member of the SAS is on the hunt for a cult that is murdering young women and is connected to the murder outside the library. Brandon recognizes India's intelligence on subject matters already present in the case and asks her to assist; adventures begin.

Ashman once
Lori
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Similar to Dan Brown’s boos

I rather enjoyed this first book in this series. I like Dan Brown and this is similar as to the author includes real people and real places to make the story come alive. The characters were strong, especially India, and some you rooted for their death. I think because mine was a digital copy, the editing may have gone a tad overboard, but that’s just me. 😝

The storyline was well done, who would think that a Pagan goddess would still have followers in the 21st century? T
Leah Speller
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I first began reading this book I was a bit confused. I loved the story arc that was happening in the past. What confused me the most was more of what did that have to do with a missing young girl and the murders. That was the only aspect which made it difficult to read...trying to figure out what one had to do with the other.

As far as the exact mystery went I was kept on the edge of my seat. Each time I thought I knew who the bad guy was they would get themselves killed. Needless to say, i
Nancy
This was an absorbing read. I love to read historical fiction and love mysteries almost as much, so the combination of history and mystery in this novel was a fabulous mix. I already knew a little of the ancient cult of the Vestal Virgins, and by the end of this novel feel I know more but will need to find time to authenticate it - so well was this fictional story written that it appears entirely reliable.

The threads of the Ancient Roman story and that of the contemporary investigators blend we
Suzan
Jul 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Others have called this a Da Vinci Clone; it certainly is a "great true secrets behind Christianity" story but the most obvious way is the annoying Langdon-esque way the heroine India lectures about various speculations on mythological links as if they were fact. I kept waiting for her to say that "symbology" showed the links. Luckily, India is temporarily out of the picture for the middle of the book and the pace picks up. Watching how the various subplots intertwine is interesting.

Others have
Robert
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
An Interesting Read

After reading this book i found it a good story and it kept you wanting to read a little bit more. The story got better as it went on and if like me you have an interest in history you will want to read it all. I would give the book 4 out of 5.
Donna
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great Mystery

This was a fun and fast paced read. Lots of history with the story. After reading this 1st book in the India Sommers Mysteries, I am certainly going to have to read more. Awesome mystery with great characters.
Michelle
Mar 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Good book

You people should just read this novel yourselves and write your own review on this novel yourselves and I really enjoyed reading this novel very much so. Shelley Ma
jenny elson
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Think I may have found my new favorite author
Patricia Gulley
Oct 27, 2018 rated it liked it
I didn't find the mystery very interesting, and the middle seemed to turn into a travelogue, but the information about the VV and the origins of myths were very interesting.
Susan Matthews
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Dead Virgins

I had just visited Greece so I enjoyed what was written. I found a number of missing words in the story probably just typo errors.
Jack
Jun 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Totally far fetched but engaging story in which a librarian and an SAS member AVE an adventure involving ancient Greece and Rome, nuns and virgins, and rural England.
Veronica
Mar 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook
More of a historical fiction than a mystery, but it was well written and the characters and plot were decent. I don't think I liked it enough to read the rest of the series. I downloaded it for free, so it was worth the price. The ending felt like the author got bored or had a deadline so wrapped it up quickly and almost "too easy." Not bad though.
Dolores Ayotte
Jun 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Dead Virgins" by Author Kevin Ashman is a well-written, suspense/mystery novel. I thorougly enjoyed the double plot between Rubria...Rome 54 AD, the ancient Vestal Virgin...and the disappearance of a young girl in London 2010. The author masterfully ties these stories together to create a captivating style of writing which drew me in right at the onset.

India Sommers, a librarian with a penchant for studying old coins, has knowledge of both Greek and Roman history. After the mysterious murde
Babus Ahmed
Apr 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This epic piece of historical fiction weaves modern day with Rome 64 AD. We follow the fate of Rubria, a child chosen to be a Vestal Virgin serving the Great Mother Goddess, Vesta. Meanwhile present day abductions and killings of young girls escalates in the Prime Minister's niece, 10 year old Camille, being abducted and a link to Roman artefacts.

Intriguing and suspenseful though this book is I found it informative and enlightening about Roman culture. If you enjoy historical fiction about the
Rebecca
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-free
4 star i think, although I do not understand how the peaceful cult became evil and corrupted. But I would like more from this author.
Catherine Amos
Nov 17, 2015 rated it liked it
My rating is actually 3 1/2 stars.

This is the first in the new India Sommers mysteries, and it shoots out of the gate. India is a British librarian with expertise as a numismatist and history lecturer at a local college who has been asked to evaluate a necklace of ancient origin. (Sound familiar?) She becomes a slightly unwilling participant in a modern conspiracy that has roots in the ancient Rome of Nero's reign. The investigation takes her on a roundabout tour of locales that I rarely read a
Wendy Unsworth
Review to follow.

The Dead Virgins is a quick and enjoyable read. I don't know a great deal about the historical period in the book ( Ancient Rome) but it all sounded 'right' as if the author had done plenty of research.
The book alternates back and forth between Nero's Rome and the present day where India ( a specialist in the period) and Brandon , a Special Forces operative are about to team up to solve an ancient mystery.
Even though there were a few jarring moments in the historical sections
« previous 1 3 next »

• Midwyf: Liza
  • The Templar Concordat
  • The Magdalene Cipher
  • The Glass Guardian
  • Enza
  • Death on an Autumn River (Sugawara Akitada #9)
  • Wallflower (Harbinger Mystery, #2)
  • Pompomberry House
  • That Summer in Ischia
  • The History Thief: Ten Days Lost (The Sterling Novels, #2)
  • The Cosgrove Report: Being the Private Inquiry of a Pinkerton Detective into the Death of President Lincoln
  • A Walk on the Haunted Side (Haunted Tour Guide Mystery, #2)
  • Mandarin Yellow (Socrates Cheng Mystery, #1)
  • The Liberation of Ravenna Morton
  • Reluctant Medium (Rachel Blackstone Paranormal Mystery Series #1)
  • The Aura (Kate Benedict, #1)
  • Maudlin's Mayhem (Bewitching Bedlam, #2)
  • The Dangerous Thaw of Etta Capstone
Married for 31 years to the lovely Jan. with four wonderful grown up children.

I took the decision to write full time a few years ago and now make my living as a full time author with eighteen books published so far and another 2 due out in January and July 2017.

Links to my books, poetry and short stories can be found on my website at...

The India Sommers Mysteries (4 books)
  • The Treasures of Suleiman (The India Sommers Mysteries #2)
  • The Mummies of the Reich (The India Sommers Mysteries, #3)
  • The Tomb Builders (The India Sommers Mysteries Book 4)
“I thought that Christianity was undergoing a bit of a comeback?’ ‘Well, if you’re into rock bands and happy-clappy Christianity, I suppose it is” 0 likes
“Chapter” 0 likes