Start by marking “Love Bats Last (Tavonesi Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
Love Bats Last (Tavonesi Series, #1)

Love Bats Last (Tavonesi #1)

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  1,009 Ratings  ·  127 Reviews
In LOVE BATS LAST, the first book in The Tavonesi Series by Pamela Aares, get ready for All-Star alpha males and the strong women they come to love!

A stormy night changes their lives forever...

The baseball diamond isn't the only field for all-star player Alex Tavonesi; he also runs his family's prestigious vineyard. What he can't seem to run is his love life. He's closing
Paperback, First edition, 317 pages
Published February 4th 2014 by SeaStar Press (first published November 25th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Love Bats Last, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Bats Last

Originally posted at The Book Nympho

Quick Summary
Alex Tavonesi isn't your typical athlete. He's a vintner who inherited his family vineyard and he's a star first baseman for the San Francisco Giants with a shot at winning this year's Triple Crown. Jackie Brandon is a world renowned marine mammal veterinarian from England, now running a marine rescue center/hospital in San Francisco. Their first meeting was...kismet, at least for Alex.

The heart of the story
Alex doesn't have the capacity for any d
CD {Boulder Blvd}
I got this as a free e-book on Amazon a while back and sort of remember it. I am not planning on reading the rest of the Tavonesi Series...didn't grab me.
May 01, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
only stuck it out because I needed a book for a challenge and this fit it on multiple ways...

guy was too perfect - superstar baseball player; runs his family vineyard and volunteers to help rescue sea animals - blech!
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Alex Tavonesi isn’t looking for love. He is focused on his game. A successful Baseball player and manager of his Father’s prestigious Vineyard he isn’t ready for the distraction of trying to find ‘The One’.
Veterinarian Jackie Brandon is trying to escape her affluent upbringing in England, and the lover who jilted her at the altar.
Devoting all of her time to helping the marine life and mammals on the Northern California coast.
During a stormy night while rescuing a beached whale she and Alex meet.
Amanda (Hootie) Clark
My Rating: Did not finish @ 25%

Good God. I've never been so bored while reading a book. I expected this one to be good with the baseball element. I can't resist a ball player, and while Alex seemed to be a great guy with potential, the heroine here got on my nerves. A stuck up British bitch with a chip on her shoulder is not my cup of tea. I'll take a good old fashioned American bar slut with daddy issues any day.

Jackie came across as a judgmental twat with an unyieldingly rigid personality I d
Jun 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This was fun --- well-rounded characters, a scientific-minded heroine, and a romance that doesn't depend on endless sex scenes to fill pages. The sports element didn't even annoy me, which is saying a lot.
Nov 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favoritebooks
Alex Tavonesi is a famous baseball player and heir to a vineyard in northern California. When he bumps into Jackie Brandon snooping around his vineyard he’s instantly attracted to her. Jackie works as a veterinarian at the California Marine Mammal Center. She must get to the bottom of why seals and sea lions are mysteriously dying. She discovers a poisons substance being dumped into the water close by the vineyards. Alex volunteers at the marine center to get closer to Jackie but the last thing ...more
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Jan 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a really lovely hot story. It's based on two characters Alex and Jackie.
Alex is a baseball player and he manages his fathers vineyard. He's hot and sexy and I just loved reading about him.
Jackie is a vet who works in a marine centre. She's trying to find out why the sea lions & seals are dying mysteriously. Alex can't resist volunteering in the centre to be close to Jackie.

The research the author did for this book on the two main subjects- baseball and marine biology is fantastic.
Dec 27, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read

This book was exciting and such a sweet romantic read. I love that she was an independent woman and didn't need him but chose to have him just the same.
Michelle Quintana
An enjoyable and easy read, this is the first in a series by this author. Alex is the first baseman for the San Francisco Giants who feels like there is something missing from his life, he just doesn't know what. Even though his goal is to get the Triple Crown, he still knows there is something more that he needs. It's not until he runs into Dr. Jackie Brandon that he is beginning to realize what it is. Jackie is a vet for marine sanctuary who is trying to figure out what is killing the lcoal ma ...more
Cute and fun. Jackie Brandon is an English aristocrat who is also a marine mammal vet investigating why seals and sea lions are becoming sick and dying. She meets Alex Tavonesi when she's collecting samples of water near his winery. There is instant chemistry between them, but Jackie is focused on her career and her Marine Mammal Center and has no room in her life for a man.

In addition to owning a winery (that he inherited when his father died), Alex is first baseman for the San Francisco Giants
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great potential but fell a little short

Well written interesting premise but something is missing. The love story between Dr. Jacqueline Brandon, Vet,and Alex Tovanesi,vintner, baseball player has a mystery running through it that when it concludes it is a tremendous let down. The reader is left hanging and has to work out for themselves what this was all about. It is a shame because the book really could have been great when at times it became a little long winded. Good side bar on baseball howe
Deb Beaulieu
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Baseball, intrigue, romance

I enjoy watching baseball so to find a romance book with baseball the main part of the book, I thought why not. Loved it. Alex is an athlete who has it all, but love. Jackie is a veterinary for marine mammals. She was burned by love before so doesn't want anything to do with it. I enjoyed reading what attracted them to each other- strength, brains, skill, physique. I will definitely read more by Pamela Aares as buying the next book after finishing this review. I would
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Working your way to trust

Alex is a pro baseball player and owner of the family vineyards. Jackie is a veterinarian with a specific love for ocean life, particularly seals & sea lions. This story has some great twists and turns. A ball player with a heart of gold and a vet who has a sad history with pro ball players. This was a well written story with intrigue, light suspense, trust issues and a whole lotta love!! I enjoyed this book and I can't wait to get my hands on the rest of the series!
Kathy Brickert
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adventure and Romance

Such an exciting book! The ups and downs of baseball great Alex and the dedication of marine vet Jackie to all things ocean make for a fun tale on their way to falling in love. Add in the Russian drug Lord's and the stunning winery owned by Alex and you have a great plot, interesting characters and a wonderful love story! Perfect hit!
Rosemary Hughes
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An English aristocratic Doctor, who has had heartbreak from an elite athlete previously, encounters a mesmerizing man, that causes her body to react, even before her heart and brain can register. Unfortunately, he is a pro baseball playe, amongst other things.
Can the sort their own mistrust issues out, and make whatever chemistry they have work?
Lynn Geth
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy reading love story. Good guys, bad guys and an interesting premise. Some intrigue and some hair raising moments but a happy ending nevertheless. I enjoyed reading it and learned a lot about seals, sea lions and otters!
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love Bats Last

Action, adventure, baseball, romance, philanthropy and animals! Solid read and I truly enjoyed it. Looking forward to reading more by this author.
Steve Bender
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good read. Nice mix of baseball(and appreciation of its difficulty) with romance. It would have been fine without the heroics at the end. I couldn't put the book down.
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome Reading!

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book & look forward to continuing the remaining books. Pamela does a great job of bringing the characters to life & also in her descriptions of her scenarios. I look forward to reading book 2!
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Baseball & Seal's

He is a vineyard owner & a baseball player. She is a English lady and a Marine Animal Vet. 2 very different people come together to save seals, sea life and each othgery.
Blue Falcon
This review is of “Love Bats Last” book 1 of 8 in the “Tavonesi” series by Pamela Aares.

The Story: In the very first chapter we meet the hero, Alex Tavonesi, baseball star for the Giants, and manager of his family’s winery, Trovare. He rescues Jackie Brandon, the heroine, when her pontoon gets stuck. Jackie, originally from England, is a marine biologist, investigating the poisoning of local sea life. Jackie and Alex share their love of marine biology; he actually majored in it in college befor
Lady Literary
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Anyways, I got a tweet from Pamela Aares about the release of Love Bats Last. The cover is Bella Andre-esk so I was intrigued. Personally I am not a baseball fan (or much of a sports fan besides UFC tbh) but the Marine Animal Veterinarian intrigued me because my current job is as a receptionist at an animal clinic. And the book was less than $5 on kobo so I decided to try it, and Holy Unicorns it was amazing!

Quick summary:
Alex Tavonesi is an All-Star baseball player and winery owner who meets Ma
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, romance
PUBLISHED: November 25th 2013
PUBLISHER: SeaStar Press
PAGES: 317 Approx
FORMAT: Kindle

Just yes. This story was well written, had loveable and witty characters, a well written and engaging plot, it was nearly a five star read. So very very close.

I loved reading this book, I loved everything about it. Well, nearly everything anyway. I love a romance book that not only has a believable love story you can really root for, but that also and almost more importantly, has a good, actual storyline in ord
Apr 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable this book was. The writer has good command of the language and of novel structure. Love Bats Last is a simple love story, but and interesting and quick read. (Just as a reminder to myself: the author relies too heavily on sex -- making it too large a part of the story.)
Feb 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rating-3pt5-high
What a wonderful start to new series. If you love All-Star athlete heroes and smart, strong-willed heroines, you won't go wrong with the “Heart of the Game” series.

Some parts of Love Bats Last read like a love story between world-renowned vet Jackie and her passion. She's tenacious when it comes to saving marine mammals and goes the far distance (or shall I say depth) for her cause, sometimes even at the risk of her own safety. Alex is similarly focused on his goals: maintaining his vintner fath
Feb 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice little romance. This is the first book I've read from Pamela Aares.

I liked the plot, and thought it was nicely written. The fact that the characters took longer than a few days to "fall in love" was refreshing. Even though the book spanned 5 months, the author was able to convey the passage of time without giving us boring daily run downs.

The only issue that I had with the story was that Jackie really was an unpleasant person. I wouldn't want to spend any time with her at all, least of all
Char (1RadReader59)
Feb 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
This story centers on Jackie “Jack” Brandon and Alex Tavanesi. Jackie is a gun-ho marine biologist vet, beyond serious in what she does. Which is a cover for her past. As for Alex, he is a San Francisco Giant’s Baseball player, who inherited the roll of owner and operator of Trovare Vineyards when his father passed two years ago. Up until then he had only been torn between his love for baseball, the marine biology (ocean), and the good life.
One day he happens upon a chance meeting while taking
Jan 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story!

Love Bats Last is not your usual sport / jock romance, it is more complex and involved then what you usually get as a reader and I couldn't have enjoyed it more.

Alex is a professional Baseball player for the San Francisco Giants and he is also running his family vineyard since his father died. He is a fantastic, down to earth, strong and very loveable character who is under a great deal of pressure to succeed with not only the vineyard but his baseball career and the expectati
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 4.5

What draws me most to this book are the two main characters who are passionate in what they do best: Alex Tavonesi doesn’t only do good on the baseball field, but he also tries his best in running his family’s vineyard. He wasn’t well-blessed in his love life, considering he hasn’t met the woman who can sweep him off his feet. They were either clawing after him because of money or fame. Then here’s Jackie Brandon, the smart, adrenaline junkie, hard worker veterinarian whose, ahem, ari
  • Fire on Ice (Fire on Ice #1)
  • Save My Soul (Kemmons Brothers Baseball, #1)
  • Inside Heat (Mustangs Baseball, #1)
  • Breakaway Hearts (Kelly Brothers, #2)
  • Bigger Than Beckham (Philadelphia Patriots, #3)
  • Outback Hearts (Beyond Reality, #1)
  • All I Want For Christmas
  • Portland Storm: The Second Period
  • Barbara's War
  • Perfect Pitch (The Diamond Brides, #1)
  • Christmas Break (Seattle Lumberjacks #4.5)
  • Nefarious (The Blackwell Files, #1)
  • The Practice Proposal (Suddenly Smitten, #1)
  • Summer of Change (The Springs, #1)
  • Falling for Her Enemy
  • His Leading Lady (Hollywood Hearts, #0.5)
  • Cupcakes & Chardonnay
  • Frozen Barriers (Barriers #1)
Pamela Aares is a USA Today Bestselling, award-winning author of contemporary and historical romance novels. Her contemporary series, The Tavonesi Series, explores the lives, loves, friendships and sizzling romances of the Tavonesi family.

Her popularity as a romance writer continues to grow with each new book release, so much so, that the Bay area author has drawn comparisons by reviewers to Nora
More about Pamela Aares...

Tavonesi (10 books)
  • Thrown By Love (Tavonesi #2)
  • Fielder's Choice (Tavonesi #3)
  • Love On The Line (Tavonesi #4)
  • Aim for Love (Tavonesi #5)
  • The Heart of the Game (Tavonesi #6)
  • Love in the Vineyard (Tavonesi #7)
  • A Very Daring Christmas (Tavonesi #8)
  • No Stranger to Love (Tavonesi #9)
  • Until Love Finds You (Tavonesi #10)

Romance Deals

• Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick #2)
    $4.99 $2
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Spiraled (Callahan & McLane #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Bailey (Ace Security #3)
  • The Girl in Times Square: A Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Daring Arrangement (The Four Hundred, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Return to Homecoming Ranch (Pine River Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up Book 1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • The Third Wish: A Novella
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Walking on Her Grave (Rogue River, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Repressed (Deadly Secrets, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Beautiful Broken Promises (Broken #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Chosen (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #15)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • From Sand and Ash
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Dreamology
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Out of Control (Troubleshooters, #4)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
  • The Devil's Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Chilled (Bone Secrets, #2)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Bearly in Control (Shifters Undercover, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
  • Sheltering Rain
    $9.49 $1.99
  • She Can Scream (She Can Series, Book 3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Fashionable Indulgence (Society of Gentlemen, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
“I can get you tickets to the Giants game next week.” 0 likes