Start by marking “Murder at Ravenrock” as Want to Read:
Murder at Ravenrock

Murder at Ravenrock

(Rachel Markham Mystery #2)

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  264 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
From the bestselling author of Murder at Rutherford Hall, comes the second book in the Rachel Markham Mystery Series. Murder at Ravenrock A Rachel Markham Mystery Book Two - In the Mystery Series Sofia Burnett, the beautiful American actress, married to the British millionaire - Henry Cavendish, spoke up, as if coming out of a daze, 'My God! There really is a lunatic about ...more
Published July 10th 2013 by Notion Press

To ask other readers questions about Murder at Ravenrock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder at Ravenrock

Judie
Aug 20, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was going to quit reading MURDER AT RAVENROCK after fifty pages but several reviews said the unexpected twists at the end were good. I should have trusted my instincts.

Several members of a judge’s family die within a very short time. The question is are they murdered, did they die of natural causes, or was it a mix. The main link seems to go back twenty years to a man who was institutionalized for mental problems, his wife who died in a car-train collision, and their two young children.

It did
Maria Claudia
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I feel like I was reading Agatha Christie's novels. Well written whodunit
Kristen
Nov 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, own-ebooks
Better than the series opener. The author really needs to learn how to properly use commas.
Sarah Adamson
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
The second in the series.
This book brings the ex-Scotland Yard detective and his wife to Devonshire to associate with two rich families - one full of optimism and looking to the future, one slowly being killed off and looking hesitatingly back at their difficult past.
A good mystery with some very nice twists, gentle and very much along the lines of Agatha Christie.
Beth
Mar 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, mystery
This is the second book in the Rachel Markham Mystery series and like the first is probably the some of the poorest writing I have read outside of student's papers. Particularly in the first 2 books of the series, the author includes redundant adjectives/adverbs, repeats sentences with only slight variations, and does a poor imitation of Jane Austin's style of verbosity. There are many instances of multi-syllabic words tossed into the prose with little or no necessity. As I was reading the serie ...more
Kim
Oct 28, 2014 rated it did not like it
I should have heeded the bad reviews here and on Amazon. Horrible punctuation especially commas which seem randomly placed. The mystery was terrible and the marriage of the main characters seems pretend. Rachel has a deplorable attitude towards murder, pretty much oh, goody another one.
Oh well, lesson learned I'm done.
Shari Eicher
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fun filled

While these mysteries are not the nail biting, thrill a minute who unit, they are engaging. If you are looking for something that is well written and interesting, then this series is for you. Thoroughly enjoyed the characters and situations. For light but intelligent reading, get started on book one.
Victoria Benchley
Sep 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
ANOTHER ENGAGING PERIOD MYSTERY FROM PB

Ms. Kolleri does a wonderful job creating this mystery set shortly after WW II. The book is filled with interesting characters & the author weaves them together an interesting tale. This is the second book in the series that I've read. Highly recommended to Agatha Christie fans & those who enjoy a period read.
Leelaswann
Apr 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Second Book Doesn't Disappoint

Although these mysteries are short novels, the writing is concise, the dialog effective, and the plot intriguing enough to keep my interest. Do not let the price tag fool you - this series is worth reading.
Deb crisanti
Oct 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Ditch the commas!

The stories are good, I like them, but the excessive use of commas is ridiculous. Get an editor, or have an English teacher edit them or a friend. Failing that, just get rid of 4 out of 5 commas and that should do it.
DeliaC
Aug 09, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: murdah
Dreadful. Bad editing and the voice was all over the place. Everyone sounded like they were in a bad teleplay. Full of cliches and I was honestly squicked out with the romance. Did I care whodunit? Nope.
Val Sanford
I wish I liked this but in reality, Murder at Ravenrock is a poor man's Lord Peter Whimsey and Harriet Vane mystery. The dialogue is false and the mystery isn't very mysterious. The attempt at witty banter just falls flat. I won't be reading the 3rd in the series.
Pat Davis
Aug 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Good mystery

This is the second book I've read in this series. It has a complicated plot. I enjoyed the first one more.
Donna Nino
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
Good story, but for myself, personally, too whimsical, slow paced. I prefer more on-edge-of-my-seat suspense.
Barbara
Aug 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprised this wasn't already listed on GoodReads. The second book in the series and actually better than the first.
Michele bookloverforever
another upper class murder set just after WWII this time by the British seaside. I guessed the murderer about a quarter of the way through. mean spirited and hard hearted.
Kelly Peavler
Dec 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Ok story, terrible overuse of commas

A serviceable cozy read if you can overlook the multitude of distracting misplaced commas. A good editor is desperately needed.
Meri Lee
dbourque
Dec 27, 2015
Bette Lee Jacquot
May 27, 2014
  • Nobody's Child (Georgia Davis, #4)
  • Snow White and Rose Red
  • The Mystery at Underwood House (Angela Marchmont Mystery #2)
  • Murder at Dareswick Hall (Rose Simpson Mysteries, #2)
  • Lord James Harrington and the Spring Mystery (Lord James Harrington #2)
  • The Bradshaw Mystery (Blake Hartley Mysteries #1)
  • A Quiet Life In The Country (Lady Hardcastle Mysteries #1)
  • A Killing in Kensington (Patrick Shea Mystery, #2)
  • Murder in the Monastery (Libby Sarjeant #11)
  • The Faerie Hills (Muirteach MacPhee Mystery #2)
  • Death on the Aegean Queen (Dotsy Lamb, #3)
  • Overdose
PB Kolleri is the author of the Rachel Markham Mystery Series, which is a series of entertaining whodunits set in 1940's - 1950's England that she considers a loving tribute to her all time favorite author in this genre - Agatha Christie.

A NOTE TO ALL READERS

The first four books in the series are now available to readers exclusively on Amazon.

Book 1: Murder at Rutherford Hall, (Published on 10th J

Rachel Markham Mystery (7 books)
  • Murder at Rutherford Hall (Rachel Markham Mystery Series, #1)
  • The Riverton Case
  • The Santinelli Case
  • The Marbury Murders (Rachel Markham Mystery Series #5)
  • Death at Fernside (Rachel Markham Mystery Series Book 6)
  • The Oracle of Death (Rachel Markham Mystery Series Book 7)