Start by marking “Death of a Perfect Wife (Hamish MacBeth, #4))” as Want to Read:
Death of a Perfect Wife (Hamish MacBeth, #4))

Death of a Perfect Wife

(Hamish Macbeth #4)

Hamish Macbeth, the laid-back constable of Lochdubh, Scotland, has a new Land Rover to drive and a Highland summer to savor, but as fast as rain rolls in from the loch, his happy life goes to hell in a handbasket. The trouble begins when his beloved Priscilla Halburton-Smythe returns from London . . . with a fiance on her arm. His miseries multiply when clouds of midges (t ...more
Published June 1st 2012 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Death of a Perfect Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death of a Perfect Wife

Eric_W
Neuropsychologists tell us that humans reach their mental peak around age 27. Perhaps that explains my delight in the books of MC Beaton, since clearly I passed that milestone many moons ago. They certainly make no intellectual demands, nor are they filled with clever literary repartee, nor are they filled with obscure footnotes or references. They're just fun and the Hamish MacBeth series, the meanderings of a local Scottish bobby are (read with particular aplomb and accent by Davina Porter)a g ...more
icaro
Ecco una nuova serie della infaticabile M.C.Beaton (ma quanto guadagna?).
Il primo. Carino, ma vedremo se tiene la distanza. Un po' più giallo della Aghata Raisin ma sempre leggero e rinfrescante. Per una lettura gradevole e totalmente senza penseri. Il poliziotto scozzese è simpatico al punto giusto. Qualche piccola incogruenza, ma in un 'romanzificio' come quello della Beaton (mi immagino schiere di collaboratori ciascuno con il proprio incarico) qualche dettaglio può sempre scappare.
Vedremo..
Luffy
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having seen the title of the book of today, it came to me that for once we'll be having a truly nice person as the deceased. I anticipated, and I sat back, began to read, and wondered how this change would be handled. But, maybe the author just wants to people her books with victims that are only getting their just dessert. I adjusted my expectations and was satiated from the moment the perfect wife keeled over to the end.

The story reminded me of another series starring a Scottish cop. That's
Elena Santangelo
This was my first MC Beaton novel. A few friends have been telling me to read these for years. Others have said there's nothing to these books--they're fluff. In fact, a lot of reviews said the same. So I expected something like a cozy mystery filled with cats or cooking or whatever, with not much of a puzzle or interesting characters or anything very meaty.

I was surprised to find good, tight writing, and lovely descriptions of the Scottish countryside that made me feel like I was there. The nov
Beth Revers
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mys-read
I have been enjoying this series. This one did a nice job of really clearly showing how Hamish feels about his desire to stay where he is and not be pushed into an upward mobility he does not want. Interesting characters and a nice mystery. Lots of involvement with the village, good spurts of humor that are character inspired. Growth in relationships too.
Jessica
Aug 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
One day I shall go to the Scottish Highlands, and there had darn well be a murder, because Beaton has led me to suspect that there is murder EVERYWHERE! I truly, truly loved this one, where a born reformer comes to town to open a bed-and-breakfast, and begins to make over the housewives of Lochdubh. Angela Brodie, the doctor's disorganized, bookish wife, becomes her most devout disciple, and even the even-keeled doctor wants to murder this "perfect wife."
Greg
Mar 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Sometimes, Macbeth just wants to slug the bad guy instead of bothering with handcuffs and paperwork. So he does. This series is a blast of fresh air within the cozy/police procedural genres.
Julie Davis
Now we're on a roll. The narrator is so much better than the one for the first two book and the mysteries continue improving as well. Light and enjoyable.
Charlotte (Buried in Books)
Selah Pike
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm glad I gave Hamish Macbeth a second chance. I didn't love the first book, but I'm enjoying the rest of the series. I want to move on to book five, but I'm concerned I'll burn out on the series.
Una Tiers
A fun, light read. Beaton incorporates murder with the off and on romance of Hamish and Priscilla.
Pritha
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picked up this book from the display shelf on my way out from the local public library. I haven’t read mystery in ages. Didn’t know what to expect from this as I hadn’t read the reviews or even heard about the author or the book.

I liked the way the author developed the plot in the first three chapters. You already would have made your list of suspects by the end of Chapter 3. I later realized that the synopsis of the book on the back cover is the summary of the first three chapters. Thankfully
Julie  Durnell
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: england-uk, mystery
Och but another great mystery with Hamish in the Highlands ferreting out the murderer ahead of his nemesis Detective Chief Inspector Blair! The scene with the villager Iain Gunn and his bulldozer was so amusing. I wonder what will happen with Miss Pricilla Halburton-Smythe and Hamish now....
JoAnn
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun quick read. Enjoyed the characters. I liked the main character a lot. Who doesn't love a handsome Scottish constable who checks on all the old ladies in the village, has a dog, and quietly solves a crime? I'm glad it is a series; I'll probably read more.
Jenny Houle
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The series is really starting to draw me in more now.
Tracy Smyth
3.5 stars I enjoy these books. I like the characters and the books are easy to read
Jenni
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Far fetched this one. someone gets murdered in remote scotland and within the hour there are police helicopters, forensics, press etc ! Getting a bit repetitive now these, used to love them.
LaCitty
Per quanto mi riguarda, la Beaton è una garanzia. Anche questo libro è estremamente gradevole e leggero e, forse, un po' più "giallo" rispetto a Agatha Raisin. Certo, nasconde al lettore una fondamentale informazione per scoprire l'assassino, ma ad un certo punto ci si arriva comunque!
Grace
May 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny but awful representation.
Jules Jones
Sep 16, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Fourth in the Hamish Macbeth mystery series. I've read the first two, and skipped the third because the shop didn't have it when I picked up 1, 2, 4 and 5. I have no intention of looking for the third, because this is the last of the series I'll bother reading.[return][return]As with the other books, this has the lazy, amiable village policeman having to deal with murder coming to his otherwise sleepy village. In this case, Hamish spots Trixie Thomas as a potential murder victim fairly on, thank ...more
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
The trouble begins when Highland Constable Hamish MacBeth's beloved Priscilla Halburton-Smythe returns from London . . . with a boyfriend on her arm. Then a paragon of housewifery named Trixie Thomas moves into Lochdubh with her lapdog husband in tow. Crying poor, Trixie is cadging furniture and household goods from the locals, supposedly to furnish "The Laurels", in which she and husband Paul are starting a lodging house. But then why are none of the donated items (and she is very choosy about ...more
M.
Jul 15, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first foray into the print version of Hamish MacBeth (having enjoyed the BBC television version). The book was an airy, enjoyable read.

The true light of the book is the lead character, a Scottish constable whose competency threatens him with promotion and departure from his beloved village of Lochdubh. The character is extremely likeable. The other stars of the show are the wonderful Highland setting and the eccentric characters that populate it. Beaton writes of a place we would all
Sara
Jun 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hamish's friend Angela has a personality melt-down due to the influence of a so-called "perfect wife" who challenges her to discard her bookish way of life and her haphazard housekeeping methods. The old Angela disappears and is replaced by a compulsive, cause-oriented, health-mad cook, permed within an inch of her life, who banishes her animals to the back yard and refuses to cook her husband's favorite unhealthy meals. Turns out the perfect wife is a bit of a crook. We're all on Angela's side ...more
Kirsty Leishman
I'm enjoying making my way through the Hamish Macbeth series. They're easy to listen to while knitting and before bed. They're also a great way to catch up on my reading challenge goal, very quickly.

I like Hamish: his peace with himself and his place in the world. Overall, they're well-plotted murder mysteries and this one saw a turning point in his relationship with Priscilla, previously described as the love of his life. Looking forward to future adventures--if very sedate adventures--in this
Marcia
Apr 15, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: x2012, library, mystery
Actual Rating: ***1/2

Well, he's certainly no Armand Gamache, but I am growing quite fond of that lanky red head, Hamish Macbeth. In this book four of the series, the seemingly perfect wife comes to the village of Lochdubh, and the mayhem begins as one by one the formerly content wives of the village succumb to her "suggestions." As usual, Hamish is at odds with his superiors; and, as usual, Hamish wins the day.
Kim
Aug 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
I really enjoy these books. Trixie moves to the Highlands and manages to upset a lot of the menfolk- but seems to get the women under her spell and embracing healthier life styles. She is found murdered and Hamish has to find out who had a motive.
Cindy
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like the series: Good plots, definite and consistent cast. No graphics, gore, or language, not Christian (later novels relate this). Re-read them when tired of harder sort. Well-narrated by Sean Grindell. Recommended.
Heather
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am enjoying this series. I each book is like revisiting friends.
Judy
Jun 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A light quick read. Just the thing for recovering from surgery.
Megan
Mar 26, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery
another friendly, light read. I might be hooked on these for 'downtempo' reading.
  • Evan and Elle  (Constable Evans, #4)
  • The House of Green Turf (Felse, #8)
  • Mrs. Jeffries and the Yuletide Weddings (Mrs. Jeffries, #26)
  • Hasty Death (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #2)
  • Dying for Dinner (A Cooking Class Mystery, #4)
  • Biggie and the Devil Diet (Biggie Weatherford, #6)
  • The Body on the Beach (Fethering, #1)
  • Reservations for Murder (Lighthouse Inn Mystery #2)
  • The Winter Garden Mystery (Daisy Dalrymple, #2)
  • The Master of Rain: A Suspense Thriller
Like her on Facebook!

Learn more on her website!

Marion Chesney Gibbons

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John Smith & Sons Ltd. While bookselling, by chance, she got an offer from the Scottis

Hamish Macbeth (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • Death of a Gossip (Hamish Macbeth, #1)
  • Death of a Cad (Hamish Macbeth, #2)
  • Death of an Outsider (Hamish Macbeth, #3)
  • Death of a Hussy (Hamish Macbeth, #5)
  • Death of a Snob (Hamish Macbeth, #6)
  • Death of a Prankster (Hamish Macbeth, #7)
  • Death of a Glutton (Hamish Macbeth, #8)
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth, #9)
  • Death of a Charming Man (Hamish Macbeth, #10)
  • Death of a Nag (Hamish Macbeth, #11)
“No one could remain an atheist with larks around, he thought dreamily.” 1 likes
“I am silent in the club I am silent in the pub, I am silent on a bally peak in Darien; For I stuff away for life Shoving peas in with a knife, Because I am at heart a Vegetarian. No more the milk of cows Shall pollute my private house Than the milk of the wild mares of the Barbarian; I will stick to port and sherry, For they are so very, very, So very, very, very Vegetarian. —G. K. CHESTERTON” 0 likes