Start by marking “Shock (Wildfire Chronicles #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Shock (Wildfire Chronicles #1.5)

Shock

(Wildfire Chronicles #1.5)

The team had been told it would be a straightforward mission: enter St. Davids, now little more than a ghost town, retrieve the target and return to base.

Trouble is, the target is a man named Victor, and it looks like somebody else got to him first.

And St. Davids is anything but a ghost town...

***

SHOCK is a novella that picks up where K.R. Griffiths' acclaimed debut
Published July 2nd 2013 by K.R.Griffiths (first published July 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Shock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shock

Start your review of Shock (Wildfire Chronicles #1.5)
Sharon
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
irst off, I hate novellas that leave me hanging. but, i have to get book 3 because i am hooked on the storyline,

This novella introduced a new player in the storyline. He is ruthless and cold hearted. wonder where this one is going.

i have ordered book 3. hope it is more satisfying and longer.
Dana
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shock is the second volume in K.R. Griffiths' Wildfire Chronicles. I purchased the kindle version of the Wildfire Chronicles Volumes 1 through 4. I am overjoyed to share that I didn't even realize I had moved from volume 1 into volume 2. So many times when an author writes a series, it's obnoxiously obvious when you move from book to book. For some reason most authors feel the need to rewrite the short version of the preceding book, or books, into the first few chapters of any following tomes. ...more
Jeff Swystun
Oct 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
This is a short tale precursor (57 pages) that acts as a marketing tease for a longer format series. So was the first “volume”. Regardless of that complaint, it is a very disjointed story that requires reading the first volume. It comes across as filler rather than core. This approach to publishing should anger readers.
Dawn
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
K.R. Griffiths says this novella was written as a thank you to those who had read "Panic", and that the story here would have slowed down the first book too much to include it.
I disagree!
However, "Shock" is an interesting intermission in the main story - though I feel it's a vital component of the series as a whole.
Catherine Vickers
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I admit, you need to read book 1 first at it does read a little disjointed. I enjoyed this book as much as book 1, but it took me awhile to land on my feet and realise exactly what was happening. Once I got there, I thoroughly relished the new character. All comes together in the end. Recommended, even if you're not a zombie lover, which I'm not, then again, is anyone?!
Adam Mahler
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Digging these books

This book was just long enough to want more. The story is evolving and I'm loving every second of it.
jonathan sanford
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good book

A good extra to follow on from panic. Well worth a read, but after panic. Bonus that it is free.
Jen
Dec 01, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Zombies. Sequels. Let's figure out what's going on in this crazy messed up world. (If you're curious about the precursor to this book, check out my review of Panic here: http://jenpaul13.wix.com/makinggoodst...).

K.R. Griffiths' Shock picks up in the aftermath of Panic with a pseduo-military faction trying to locate the man who started it all with the Infected and then secluded himself in a bunker: Victor Chamberlain. But what they find in the bunker squelches that objective as Chamberlain is
Heather
Apr 14, 2016 rated it liked it
In order for the plot to proceed as desired, one of John’s crew is required to be so stupid that I cannot imagine how anyone would even let him leave the house. He leaves the door to Victor’s bunker open and then randomly presses a button that turns out to be a really loud siren. There’s gotta be a way to send the group onward that doesn’t require so much stupidity. Long story short, John ends up on the run with our heroes. They don’t trust him; he doesn’t care about them. But they do need each ...more
Nicole
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
So I see more than one person complaining about the price of this one pertaining to it's length. Wow people. If money is such an issue for you go to the damn library! I'm guessing enough people complained since the first and second book are free. (Not sure how long this will last but this is one truly talented author with words so do not miss out!) This is sad to me and I would have happily paid the ninety nine cents for this novella. (A magazine is what, $5-$8, a movie $14-$18 and you are ...more
Jonathan Currinn
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
This sequel is a short novella, that works perfectly in the series.

A little confusing at first, it takes some time to get to know a whole new range of characters. They are part of a team with some backstory that is definitely needed. This team discovers the bunker found in the first novel. Encroaching on the scenes we have already read about, it's like an out of the book implosion on what happened in the previous book from a historic point of view.

It works perfectly managing to convey another
Terry
Jan 11, 2014 added it
Too short

I like these books but they're not really BOOKS - they are short stories! These remind me of serial stories that came out in the early 1900's in weekly papers. Some were about cowboys and Indians,
Andrew Greely for the NY Times did a long series about the Civil War complete with often intricate drawings of war ship ships, famous generals sitting around tables, battle scenes etc. The only thing lacking from Griffiths' series set in a modern Apocalyptic disaster is the graphic art. But
Bob Woodyard
Why did I read this book after giving book 1 only 2 stars? Because it was free and only 56 pages. I wanted to wash the wholly unnecessary cruelty at the end of book 1 from my brain a bit and see if there was enough story intrigue in book 2 to look into a third.

As expected from a 56 page story, it wasn't heavy on characters except one that seems to have some bearing based on descriptions in future books. You definitely cannot read this without spoiling a hit of book 1, but it feels like you can
Mary Trotter
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I had an internal debate with myself as to whether or not I was going to read this book. The first book really messed with my head. So after 2 months passing and the first book still sticking with me, I decided I would go ahead and purchase this book. The second story is not as brutal or graphic as the first. That is not to say it isn't either of these and much more. The characters are darker and the plot becomes more intense as further details of the conspiracy are discovered. I will probably ...more
Brian Manville
Oct 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: dystopia
This is part 2 of the Wildfire Chronicles which began in Volume 1 (Panic). The author has written this book because the main character of this short story (41 pages) needed a backstory. In the author's opinion, it would have disrupted the flow of books 1 and 3, so John was given his own short story.

The story itself is OK, but there's no real tie-in to the saga itself until the very end. But, it's free, so one can't complain too much.

BOTTOM LINE: A bridge to cross from books 1 to 3 of the
Netanella
First paragraph: Bodies everywhere . Pieces of bodies, to be more precise. The oozing, glistening lives of what looked like dozens of people reduced to smears and stains on the trees, puddles on the ground.

I loved this novella-length story - an action-packed, intense backstory of John Francis, who's sent on a mission to take out Victor from the first book. The story is told during the same timeframe as the events of the first book, although the characters haven't met. Not yet. The flashbacks
Bill Thibadeau
Feb 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This installment of Wildfire Chronicles (supposedly Book 2 of 4) is woefully short. Essentially, it introduces us to more characters along with the primary 3 from Book 1. I cannot actually write a review on this short story within a book. Suffice it to say though, that the author keeps up the suspense and interest and yes, the hook has been set. I must read on to see where the story goes. My rating of this saga is inching up to the 4.5 star territory.
Susan
Jun 23, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shock follow as the first book in continuing the unusual series (intelligent zombies), Cannot say too much about this 56 page short story without leaning to spoilers.

I hope this is the only 56 page short story in the series. I'm giving it 3 stars because of length, otherwise I would have given it a 4.
Conny
Sep 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this Novella as a free download and it was just as intense as the first book in the series. You got to meet new characters that brought a new perspective of what is going on in this quiet town in Wales, I was at the edge of my seat the whole time. Lucky I was able to read it pretty quickly because I can't wait to find out what will happen next.
David Dalton
Short and sweet. Liked it okay, but not as much as Panic (Wildfire Chronicles Vol. 1) by K.R. Griffiths . Still, I plan to carry on and check out the 3rd book soon. This does continue right off from Panic and leads the way to the next. Some good horror action.
richard b. rupe
Mar 04, 2015 rated it did not like it
Rip off

Utterly to short. Very tired of this new type of authoring. Write a chapter or two post it as a book rip readers off for another fee. Sucks.like the story but frankly I feel molested as reader by the shortness. Episodic publishing sucks.
Mariah Kelly
Mar 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
You will be consumed

This series is delicious! Quite difficult to put down as the characters become very personal and well developed. Though the second in the series is relatively short, it is an important piece of the puzzle. I am literally "devouring" the series!
Lisa
Oct 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I liked this story and I really like the character John. It makes a nice addition to the previous story and I know it will come in handy in the next book. Looking forward to it. Yep, I'd recommend this story and author.
Julie Hillman
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
2nd book but certainly not 2nd best

The additional characters bring a little spice to a very well written book. I am hooked. Bring on the rest of the series.
Allan Ashinoff
I would have rated this 3.5 if the option was available. It was a more streamlined story than its predecessor and contained less back-story flashbacks.
Heather Cawte
Apr 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting coda to book one. Off now to buy book three!
Theresa
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good read. The characters where lifelike. I enjoyed reading it. I'll not give away any part of the story except these are not the run-of-the-mill zombies!
Chris MyVegas
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very short but a great tie in to the first book. Almost like a little bonus read.
Doctor Doom
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
same as Panic by the same author
Velvetink
Jul 09, 2015 marked it as to-read
kindle

• Jim's First Day (The Infected, #1)
  • Kahayatle (Apocalypsis, #1)
  • Outbreak
  • Wilderness (Innocence, #0.5)
  • Empty Bodies (Empty Bodies #1)
  • Wasteland (Surviving The Evacuation #2)
  • Resurrection (Resurrection #1)
  • Twice Dead (The Zombie Crisis #1)
  • Dead Land Volume One
  • Family (Surviving The Evacuation #3)
  • Ward Z
  • Zombies vs The Living Dead (Surviving The Evacuation #0.5)
  • Dead Dayz
  • Karen's First Day (The Infected, #2)
  • Dead Hunger (Dead Hunger #1)
  • Killing the Dead (Killing the Dead #1)
  • Snatchers
  • Grace Lost (Grace, #1)
Born the son of a wealthy philanthropist, Griffiths was orphaned by crime at a formative age, and subsequently raised by the family's kindly butler.

Nursing a bone-deep rage at the loss of his parents, Griffiths invested his inherited billions into extensive combat training and the development of sophisticated technology which he now uses to bring justice to the streets of -

No, wait. That's Batman.

Wildfire Chronicles (5 books)
  • Panic (Wildfire Chronicles #1)
  • Psychosis (Wildfire Chronicles #2)
  • Mutation (Wildfire Chronicles #3)
  • Trauma (Wildfire Chronicles #4)
  • Reaction (Wildfire Chronicles #5)