Start by marking “What Is The Lord's Supper? (Crucial Questions #16)” as Want to Read:
What Is The Lord's Supper? (Crucial Questions #16)

What Is The Lord's Supper?

(Crucial Questions #16)

In this booklet, Dr. R. C. Sproul cuts through the confusion to define the supper, demonstrate what it means, and show how important it is for the lives of believers and churches. He explores the origins of the supper, explains what it does for us, and refutes erroneous views of the Sacrement. Here is teaching that will enhance any reader’s appreciation for the work of Chr

Published October 7th 2013 by Reformation Trust Publishing (first published October 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about What Is The Lord's Supper?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Is The Lord's Supper?

Wesley Rea
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty good little book. I enjoyed that he connected the Lord's Supper to the Last Supper, and I think the lesson in church history was helpful in understanding how important understanding the Lord's Supper properly was to the Christians of the past.

It is unfortunate that we, in the West, have a tendency to downplay the Lord's Supper and see it as something traditional that we do because "it's nice." I think we would do well to look at it with more holy reverence, as a mea
Kevin Vigneault
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Short. Simple. Helpful.

Short. Simple. Helpful. Disputes false views and give clear Biblical insight into what The Lords Table is for and how it is to be done.
Matthew Prydden
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: general-theology
A helpful, clear and concise booklet explaining what is the Lord's Supper. It concerns itself mostly with the 'why's of the Lord's Supper - why do we celebrate the Lord's Supper, why do we celebrate it in the way we celebrate it, and why do we believe what we do about the Lord's Supper. R.C. Sproul is of course coming at this from the reformed theological position, and spends some time explaining how this position was reached, being rooted in the teaching of the Bible.
Timothy Coplin
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Systematic, concise and God honoring treatise on the Lord's Supper from the reformed point of view. Contrasts are made with contrary views and practices outside of the reformed community.

Recommended reading for anyone desiring a better understanding of the practice: its roots, its observance, its meaning.

Yet another R.C. Sproul gem worth of being ranked with the classics from ages past.
Brandon Wilkins
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good and simple overview of the Lord's Supper from a Reformed perspective.

Chapter 1: The Passover
6: Reformed view of presence
7: Warnings and fencing the table
William
Dec 18, 2017 rated it liked it
This is good primer on the Lord's Supper; it left me with more questions than answers. It would have benefited greatly from a section recommending further reading to explore the various topics in greater depth.
John Yelverton
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sadly, R.C. Sproul has to devote a great amount of this book towards what the Lord's Supper isn't, before he can move on toward what it is; but once he does, he does it quite well.
Jack Richardson
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lord’s Supper

A very good little book on how the scripture and reformers viewed the Supper and how that relates to the church today.
Mark John Ostrum
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good clear explanation of the Lord's Supper.

As a layperson very interested in theological differences and understanding what they are pertaining to various aspects of biblical teaching I found this book to be a very clear and concise easy to understand this course on the differences between Lutherans Catholics and reformed church teachings pertaining to the Lord supper. I am not clear on whether the reformed church teaches representation or not but it clearly states in the book that Evangelical
Alex Hannis
Jun 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
A pretty good booklet on the question of the Lord's Supper. However, I felt Sproul dragged on in some places and didn't go deep enough in others. He spent more time critiquing the Catholic view than explaining the Reformed view. As a result, I walked away feeling like I have a better understanding of a Catholic viewpoint, but still a little unclear on Calvin's view.

He also says that those who hold a memorial view (no physical or spiritual presence) are an extreme minority and therefore dismisse
Bill
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
R. C. Sproul does a great job of explaining the Lord's Supper in only a few pages. He covers its past dimension (the Old Testament background), its future dimension (the wedding supper of the Lamb) and its present significance. In the discussion of the present significance he unpacks some difficult theological concepts with remarkable clarity, defending the Reformed position. As usual, Sproul quotes the multiple biblical passages at length as the basis for the discussion. Worth reading.
Fire
Jun 02, 2015 added it
Sproul does a great job of examining The Lord's supper and explaining it's history and significance. Sproul also looks at what it is and isn't and what some believers have tried to make it.

This is a great read for all believers as it helps bring a deeper understanding of the meaning and importance of the Remembrance of Christ's death and resurrection. It will help give you a better understanding of communion.
Marguerite Harrell
Mar 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great book to read. It did take a while to fully understand somethings especially the way others (Roman Catholics) believe. Crazy how can they believe that. I am glad that we, believer (Reformer) for Christ have the correct understand about the bread and the wine and what does its means for us. Thankful for John Calvin and his view! Martin Luther does have a strange way but not like the way Roman Catholics does believe.
Brian
Mar 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
R. C. Sproul does a good job in explaining the Lord's Supper (Communion) in a short, easy-to-understand manner. If you have questions about why we do Communion, or any aspects of it, this would be a good book to read. Sproul even spends a coupe of chapters addressing the Roman Catholic belief in transubstantiation (the belief that the bread and wine actually become the body and blood of Christ).
Isaiah Jesch
Jul 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book
A helpful overview of the historical views

Dr. Sproul does a good job explaining the difference between Rome's (Catholics) views on this Sacrament vs. the Protestant views. He doesn't dive into the debates that Protestants have "in house" very much making this an accessible read and resource for people of most of the protestant branches.
Steve Johnson
Jul 16, 2016 rated it liked it
If I was a Presbyterian, I might give this book 4 stars. This book is worth reading for any Protestant wanting an understanding of the significance of the Lord's Supper in the context of church history and contrasted with Roman Catholicism. A better overall book is 'Understanding the Lord's Supper' by Bobby Jamieson.
Brandon H.
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biblical, theology
This is more like an article or pamphlet than a book and can easily be read in one setting. Dr. Sproul covers the bare basics of communion or Lord's Supper. Although short and to the point, I think most Christians should read it as so many believers from non liturgical styles of worship seem to have a lack an understanding regarding the significance the sacraments.
lago donald ange
May 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It is a remembrance of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ that should be apply every passover

I chose this to know more about Christian act. What they believe and how I can also defend scripture if it comes to me a debate with unbelievers of other religion. Trying to show them the true God in the true religion. Yet I m aware of much knowledge about Christianity.
Buddy
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Precise with biblical support defining The Lord's Supper

I enjoy quick reads with a lot of substance! I have been on a journey to objectively study the differences between Catholics and Protestants and this book was helpful as regards to the Eucharist and Communion. I would recommend this book :)
Michael
May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
This short booklet provides an historic overview and understanding of the Lord's Supper as practiced in Roman Catholic and Protestant churches. Concise, yet complete, this booklet was very helpful in helping me gain perspective on my participation in celebrating this holy ordinance. I expect to be reviewing this book again.

I commend it to you.
Betty Garnett
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Small book packed with all basics

Even though this is a small book, it holds the basic information necessary for partaking of The Lord's Supper in the only appropriate manner (in the right frame of mind). And the information is complete.
Matt Crawford
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very short view on the Reformed view of the Lords Supper, view gives a small overview of the Passover theme. Highlights Christs sacrifice but spends most of the Reformed / Roman Catholic dichotomy with how the Mass/Eucharist/Lords Table should be approached
Christina
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Eye opener

Wow. I am a new true Christian, coming from a faith that excluded most the congregation from participating in the Supper. This explained the Lord's Supper so easily. Thank you.
Steve Hemmeke
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Solid and standard.
Great to give out at church as a refresher.
Sproul at his best, dishing out seminary level theology on a college or high school reading level.
Eileen Carter
Jan 20, 2014 rated it liked it

This book went into detail about how the Lord's supper is perceived by the different denominations. no one way is the only way. very interesting reading
Brent
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
Rambling without conclusions. I expected better.
Corby H
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Because of the omnipresence of the Son of God in His deity, we really meet the whole Christ in the Lord’s Supper and are nurtured by the Bread of Heaven.
(pg. 51)
Beau
Oct 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian, theology
Short and sweet. A great overview of the topic from a Reformed perspective.
Ryan
Jan 01, 2015 added it
Good short read that is part of a very helpful series by RC Sproul.
Steve Campbell
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
This booklet gives a good overview of the meaning of the Lord's Supper and the related issues. Because of its brevity, it only scratches the surface concerning the disagreements among churches.

• Blood Work: How the Blood of Christ Accomplishes Our Salvation
  • A Reformed Approach to Science and Scripture
  • How the Gospel Brings Us All the Way Home
  • Jesus the Evangelist: Learning to Share the Gospel from the Book of John
  • Welcome to a Reformed Church: A Guide for Pilgrims
  • John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine & Doxology
  • The Poetic Wonder of Isaac Watts (A Long Line of Godly Men Profiles)
  • A Quest For More: Living For Something Bigger than You
  • The Holy Spirit (The Gospel Coalition Booklets)
  • The Most Misused Verses in the Bible: Surprising Ways God's Word Is Misunderstood
  • Who is Jesus... Really?: A Dialogue on God, Man, and Grace
  • The Gospel Focus of Charles Spurgeon (A Long Line of Godly Men Profile)
  • The Message of the New Testament: Promises Kept
  • Otherworld
  • The Gospel-Driven Life: Being Good News People in a Bad News World
  • How the Bible Came to Be (Ebook Shorts)
  • Doctrine Matters: Ten Theological Trademarks from a Lifetime of Preaching
  • Replant: How a Dying Church Can Grow Again

Dr. R.C. Sproul (1939–2017) was founder of Ligonier Ministries, an international Christian discipleship organization located near Orlando, Fla. He was founding pastor of Saint Andrew’s Chapel in Sanford, Fla., first president of Reformation Bible College, and executive editor of Tabletalk magazine.

Ligonier Ministries began in 1971 as the Ligonier Valley Study Center in Ligonier, Pa. In an effort to respond more efmagazine.

Ligonier

Crucial Questions (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Who Is Jesus? (Crucial Questions, #1)
  • Can I Trust The Bible? (Crucial Questions, #2)
  • Does Prayer Change Things? (Crucial Questions, #3)
  • Can I Know God's Will? (Crucial Questions, #4)
  • How Should I Live In This World? (Crucial Questions, #5)
  • What Does It Mean To Be Born Again? (Crucial Questions, #6)
  • Can I Be Sure I'm Saved? (Crucial Questions, #7)
  • What Is Faith? (Crucial Questions, #8)
  • What Can I Do With My Guilt? (Crucial Questions, #9)
  • What Is The Trinity? (Crucial Questions, #10)
“A sacrament gives a dramatic sign that points beyond itself to some truth of redemption that is crucial to the life of the people of God.” 0 likes
“God vindicates His people, and He vindicates them in the presence of those who have falsely accused them. In essence, David said, “Not only does He prepare a table before me, but He prepares this table and invites me to His table publicly.” 0 likes