Start by marking “What Is The Lord's Supper? (Crucial Questions #16)” as Want to Read:
What Is The Lord's Supper? (Crucial Questions #16)

What Is The Lord's Supper?

(Crucial Questions #16)

In this booklet, Dr. R. C. Sproul cuts through the confusion to define the supper, demonstrate what it means, and show how important it is for the lives of believers and churches. He explores the origins of the supper, explains what it does for us, and refutes erroneous views of the Sacrement. Here is teaching that will enhance any reader’s appreciation for the work of Chr

Published October 7th 2013 by Reformation Trust Publishing (first published October 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about What Is The Lord's Supper?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Is The Lord's Supper?

Start your review of What Is The Lord's Supper? (Crucial Questions #16)
Wesley Rea
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty good little book. I enjoyed that he connected the Lord's Supper to the Last Supper, and I think the lesson in church history was helpful in understanding how important understanding the Lord's Supper properly was to the Christians of the past.

It is unfortunate that we, in the West, have a tendency to downplay the Lord's Supper and see it as something traditional that we do because "it's nice." I think we would do well to look at it with more holy reverence, as a means of grace
Kevin Vigneault
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Short. Simple. Helpful.

Short. Simple. Helpful. Disputes false views and give clear Biblical insight into what The Lords Table is for and how it is to be done.
John Yelverton
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sadly, R.C. Sproul has to devote a great amount of this book towards what the Lord's Supper isn't, before he can move on toward what it is; but once he does, he does it quite well.
Matthew Prydden
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: general-theology
A helpful, clear and concise booklet explaining what is the Lord's Supper. It concerns itself mostly with the 'why's of the Lord's Supper - why do we celebrate the Lord's Supper, why do we celebrate it in the way we celebrate it, and why do we believe what we do about the Lord's Supper. R.C. Sproul is of course coming at this from the reformed theological position, and spends some time explaining how this position was reached, being rooted in the teaching of the Bible.
Timothy Coplin
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Systematic, concise and God honoring treatise on the Lord's Supper from the reformed point of view. Contrasts are made with contrary views and practices outside of the reformed community.

Recommended reading for anyone desiring a better understanding of the practice: its roots, its observance, its meaning.

Yet another R.C. Sproul gem worth of being ranked with the classics from ages past.
Timothy
Jun 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2020
Great in pointing us to the past, present and future aspects of the Lord's Supper.
It gives a brief overview without going into many details or practical applications. Helpful as a start but you will need to look elsewhere for more discussion especially regarding differences in belief and practice of the Lord's Supper.
Jeff Short
Aug 12, 2020 rated it liked it
This brief book is a part of the Crucial Questions series. Sproul had such a clear and concise style, this is an easy read. There are some points I am always going to differ with him, but there was a lot of good in this book. He does give quite a bit of space to historical issues surrounding the Lord's Supper that may be more or less relevant depending on the reader's background.
William
Dec 18, 2017 rated it liked it
This is good primer on the Lord's Supper; it left me with more questions than answers. It would have benefited greatly from a section recommending further reading to explore the various topics in greater depth.
Brandon Wilkins
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good and simple overview of the Lord's Supper from a Reformed perspective.

Chapter 1: The Passover
6: Reformed view of presence
7: Warnings and fencing the table
Jason Rodriguez
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it

I wanted to pick up this book because of certain talk I had been seeing regarding practicing the Lord’s Supper “online/virtually.” This is a good primer on the Lord’s Supper, especially if you have never read anything on the topic.
Jack Richardson
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lord’s Supper

A very good little book on how the scripture and reformers viewed the Supper and how that relates to the church today.
Dave
Apr 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very well explained!
Mark John Ostrum
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good clear explanation of the Lord's Supper.

As a layperson very interested in theological differences and understanding what they are pertaining to various aspects of biblical teaching I found this book to be a very clear and concise easy to understand this course on the differences between Lutherans Catholics and reformed church teachings pertaining to the Lord supper. I am not clear on whether the reformed church teaches representation or not but it clearly states in the book that Evangelical
Marguerite Harrell
Mar 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great book to read. It did take a while to fully understand somethings especially the way others (Roman Catholics) believe. Crazy how can they believe that. I am glad that we, believer (Reformer) for Christ have the correct understand about the bread and the wine and what does its means for us. Thankful for John Calvin and his view! Martin Luther does have a strange way but not like the way Roman Catholics does believe.
Fire
Jun 02, 2015 added it
Sproul does a great job of examining The Lord's supper and explaining it's history and significance. Sproul also looks at what it is and isn't and what some believers have tried to make it.

This is a great read for all believers as it helps bring a deeper understanding of the meaning and importance of the Remembrance of Christ's death and resurrection. It will help give you a better understanding of communion.
Bill
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
R. C. Sproul does a great job of explaining the Lord's Supper in only a few pages. He covers its past dimension (the Old Testament background), its future dimension (the wedding supper of the Lamb) and its present significance. In the discussion of the present significance he unpacks some difficult theological concepts with remarkable clarity, defending the Reformed position. As usual, Sproul quotes the multiple biblical passages at length as the basis for the discussion. Worth reading.
Brian
Mar 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
R. C. Sproul does a good job in explaining the Lord's Supper (Communion) in a short, easy-to-understand manner. If you have questions about why we do Communion, or any aspects of it, this would be a good book to read. Sproul even spends a coupe of chapters addressing the Roman Catholic belief in transubstantiation (the belief that the bread and wine actually become the body and blood of Christ).
Michael
May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
This short booklet provides an historic overview and understanding of the Lord's Supper as practiced in Roman Catholic and Protestant churches. Concise, yet complete, this booklet was very helpful in helping me gain perspective on my participation in celebrating this holy ordinance. I expect to be reviewing this book again.

I commend it to you.
Isaiah Jesch
Jul 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book
A helpful overview of the historical views

Dr. Sproul does a good job explaining the difference between Rome's (Catholics) views on this Sacrament vs. the Protestant views. He doesn't dive into the debates that Protestants have "in house" very much making this an accessible read and resource for people of most of the protestant branches.
Brandon H.
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology, 2014, biblical
This is more like an article or pamphlet than a book and can easily be read in one setting. Dr. Sproul covers the bare basics of communion or Lord's Supper. Although short and to the point, I think most Christians should read it as so many believers from non liturgical styles of worship seem to have a lack an understanding regarding the significance the sacraments.
Buddy
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Precise with biblical support defining The Lord's Supper

I enjoy quick reads with a lot of substance! I have been on a journey to objectively study the differences between Catholics and Protestants and this book was helpful as regards to the Eucharist and Communion. I would recommend this book :)
lago donald ange
May 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It is a remembrance of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ that should be apply every passover

I chose this to know more about Christian act. What they believe and how I can also defend scripture if it comes to me a debate with unbelievers of other religion. Trying to show them the true God in the true religion. Yet I m aware of much knowledge about Christianity.
Steve Johnson
Jul 16, 2016 rated it liked it
If I was a Presbyterian, I might give this book 4 stars. This book is worth reading for any Protestant wanting an understanding of the significance of the Lord's Supper in the context of church history and contrasted with Roman Catholicism. A better overall book is 'Understanding the Lord's Supper' by Bobby Jamieson.
Betty Garnett
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Small book packed with all basics

Even though this is a small book, it holds the basic information necessary for partaking of The Lord's Supper in the only appropriate manner (in the right frame of mind). And the information is complete.
Christina
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Eye opener

Wow. I am a new true Christian, coming from a faith that excluded most the congregation from participating in the Supper. This explained the Lord's Supper so easily. Thank you.
Matt Crawford
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very short view on the Reformed view of the Lords Supper, view gives a small overview of the Passover theme. Highlights Christs sacrifice but spends most of the Reformed / Roman Catholic dichotomy with how the Mass/Eucharist/Lords Table should be approached
Eileen Carter
Jan 20, 2014 rated it liked it

This book went into detail about how the Lord's supper is perceived by the different denominations. no one way is the only way. very interesting reading
Sean McGowan
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
Great.
Luis Alexandre Ribeiro Branco
The Lord's Supper is always an interesting topic to think about and Sproul do this wonderfully.
Ryan
Jan 01, 2015 added it
Good short read that is part of a very helpful series by RC Sproul.

• Coronavirus and Christ
  • Cristo es el todo
  • Biblical Theology: How the Church Faithfully Teaches the Gospel (9Marks: Building Healthy Churches)
  • A Defence of Calvinism
  • La Esclavitud de la Voluntad: Una condensacion moderna
  • When the Darkness Will Not Lift: Doing What We Can While We Wait for God—And Joy
  • Ten Indictments against the Modern Church
  • The Tender Heart
  • Church Discipline: How the Church Protects the Name of Jesus
  • Gentle and Lowly: The Heart of Christ for Sinners and Sufferers
  • Faithful Theology: An Introduction
  • Taking God at His Word: Why the Bible Is Knowable, Necessary, and Enough, and What That Means for You and Me
  • One Assembly: Rethinking the Multisite and Multiservice Church Models
  • Understanding The Lord's Supper
  • Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life
  • Narrow Gate Narrow Way
  • Future Men: Raising Boys to Fight Giants
  • Thriving in Grace: Twelve Ways the Puritans Fuel Spiritual Growth

Dr. R.C. Sproul (1939–2017) was founder of Ligonier Ministries, an international Christian discipleship organization located near Orlando, Fla. He was founding pastor of Saint Andrew’s Chapel in Sanford, Fla., first president of Reformation Bible College, and executive editor of Tabletalk magazine.

Ligonier Ministries began in 1971 as the Ligonier Valley Study Center in Ligonier, Pa. In an effort t

Crucial Questions (1 - 10 of 31 books)
  • Who Is Jesus? (Crucial Questions, #1)
  • Can I Trust The Bible? (Crucial Questions, #2)
  • Does Prayer Change Things? (Crucial Questions, #3)
  • Can I Know God's Will? (Crucial Questions, #4)
  • How Should I Live In This World? (Crucial Questions, #5)
  • What Does It Mean To Be Born Again? (Crucial Questions, #6)
  • Can I Be Sure I'm Saved? (Crucial Questions, #7)
  • What Is Faith? (Crucial Questions, #8)
  • What Can I Do With My Guilt? (Crucial Questions, #9)
  • What Is The Trinity? (Crucial Questions, #10)

News & Interviews

“A sacrament gives a dramatic sign that points beyond itself to some truth of redemption that is crucial to the life of the people of God.” 0 likes
“God vindicates His people, and He vindicates them in the presence of those who have falsely accused them. In essence, David said, “Not only does He prepare a table before me, but He prepares this table and invites me to His table publicly.” 0 likes