Start by marking “The End Has Come (The Apocalypse Triptych, #3)” as Want to Read:
The End Has Come (The Apocalypse Triptych, #3)

The End Has Come

(The Apocalypse Triptych #3)

Famine. Death. War. Pestilence. These are the harbingers of the biblical apocalypse, of the End of the World. In science fiction, the end is triggered by less figurative means: nuclear holocaust, biological warfare/pandemic, ecological disaster, or cosmological cataclysm.

But before any catastrophe, there are people who see it coming. During, there are heroes who fight aga
Published May 1st 2015 by Broad Reach Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The End Has Come, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The End Has Come

carol.
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of new beginnings
Review from the blog at https://clsiewert.wordpress.com/2015/... where it's about 42 times easier to post links, highlights and general text embellishments (as well as a link to an REM song).

Let’s be clear: the title “The End Has Come” implies that the stories center upon the events as the apocalypse is upon us. Little did I know when I bought it that per publisher, The End Has Come is about what will arrive from the ashes.”

description

Nevertheless, once I dealt with grief caused by unmet expectations of di
Michelle Morrell
This is the final installment in the Apocalypse Triptych, where authors presented three short stories following the threads of before, during and after their myriad apocalypses. Dealing with the "after," this volume nicely wraps up the tales.

Someday I would like to have all three in front of me and follow each story through the volumes. I know I lost a lot of detail reading them over the course of two years. Some I was able to immediately pick up (Seanan McGuire's tale of all-consuming mold, fo
Steve

Good, solid end to the "triptych-within-a-triptych".

Most of the stories were good, but the best were "In the Woods", "The Happiest Place...", and "Dancing with a Stranger in the Land of Nod".
Carolyn F.
Anthology. I'm going to read each author's work in this triptych. Starting with Volume 1, then Volume 2 and lastly Volume 3. I'm hoping that each story will give an extension of the beginning story.

3.79 stars average

1. Bannerless by Carrie Vaughn. Fantastic story. Dystopian investigator finds out what's happening in a small village. Love it. 5 stars

2. Like All Beautiful Places by Megan Arkenberg. I may have read this author before. I remember a story of a melting landscape and a sea with no wav
Emily
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Even though I adored the first two in this series (more so the first), I ended up putting off reading this one, because when I went to look at the reviews on Amazon, they were pretty dismissive. I hate being disappointed, so I waffled a bit on starting this one. I wish I hadn't waited. While I will say that some of the authors' best entries were in the earlier books, I think this was overall a better entry than The End is Now. I'll start by mentioning how much Carrie Vaughn's "Bannerless" threw ...more
Kelly Brown
Finally finished. This is the third book in the apocalyptic anthology trilogy- this volume has stories based after the apocalypse takes place. I loved the first book, liked the second one, but this one was just ok. There were quite a few stories that spanned all three books, and for many of them, I felt the last segment did not do them justice. Will McIntosh's Nodding Virus was a favorite of mine. I just felt the third installment wasn't as good as the two previous. There were some new stories t ...more
Donna
Solid finish to this series. I would highly recommend the series to anyone who enjoys apocalyptic fiction.

The following give my ratings for each story and a brief note for myself. The titles in parentheses are the stories from the first and second books that each one follows.

4.0 Bannerless (new story)--The world has reverted to a simpler agrarian society and an itinerant judge is on her last case.

1.5 Like All Beautiful Places (Houses Without Air, Twilight of the Music Machines)--I couldn't get i
Andrea McDowell
Overall a satisfying end to a solid collection of stories. I've found some new authors to follow, which is fantastic, and have seen yet more evidence of how popular the zombie apocalypse is today in world-ending fictions.

We are the zombies, folks. Our appetites consume the present and the future. No virus required.

I did want to say how much I especially appreciated the ending of Will McIntosh's Nodding Flu series, Dancing with a Stranger in the Land of Nod. The disabled-are-better-off-dead trope
Andrea
Jul 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
2.5 stars. I listened to all three books in the series and this one suffers in comparison to the other two. The first two usually had the same narrators for each of the related stories--almost none of the narrators from the first two books contributed to THE END HAS COME. This really threw me off when I was trying to figure out which stories were stand-alone and which were being continued from the previous books. The format changed as well--the dramatic, kind of silly but effective, music was go ...more
Kyliecallme
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites-read
Really, the whole triptych is now one of my favorite series. I mean, who does that?? A triptych within a triptych. Brilliant!! Only a few stories did I dislike... I'll come back and edit this later to mention which ones. Two things: I got this last volume "free" on Kindle Unlimited, IDK how long they'll be offering it there, so get it while you can.
Lastly, there's a "Wool" (Hugh Howey) "post-quel"- actually there's one in every volume. But the final one in THIS volume? Literally made me cry. Rea
Paul
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
A very interesting premise right across the series.
Each part of the three books deals with a different stage of the apocalypse and a lot of the authors have a story spread across the three books.
Some very strong entries , beware the Hugh Howey entry here as the outcome will be quite a shock to big fans of Wool.
Lee
May 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shocking and intriguing

It's finally over. I mean the trilogy! The end stories were the interesting reads. Unpredictable and scary. Read them all.
Todd Taylor
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scott-sigler
Get and read the whole series in order now!
Peter Tillman
The leadoff story, "Bannerless" by Carrie Vaughn, is available online here,
It's a novelette, not a novella. As I misstated somewhere else. 4-star or close, by memory. Very good "cozy post-apocalypse" story.

I presume she recycled this into her novel, BANNERLESS. Which I haven't read.
Elisa
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved all of these books, this grouping was awesome as well. I think I only buzzed through one story, the rest were amazing. I love end of the world stuff, and these are all humanity figuring their stuff out after the worst has happened. Quite entertaining.
Grey Thornberry
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Having read the other two entries of this triptych, I've got to say I enjoyed this one the most. Many of the stories that struggled to find their footing in previous installments have come to fruition in entertaining and satisfying ways. Unfortunately, some of the weaker stories stayed weak, but overall this volume is a successful conclusion to an inventive genre experiment.
Bruce Baugh
Nov 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Good heavens, this is astonishingly great stuff.

John Joseph Adams is a really good anthologist - he has a knack for selecting themes that invite very diverse contributions and for choosing some excellent reprints, for volumes where that's appropriate. I've never been less than satisfied by a volume he's put together. And I already read and enjoyed The End is Nigh already, and was intrigued by his explanation of it being the first of a trio of volumes in which authors would be free to carry on t
Shannon Flowers
May 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
The third and final installment of The Apocalypse Triptych is finally out (I originally reviewed the FIRST and SECOND). I used to be averse to short story collections but The End is Nigh edited by John Joseph Adams and Hugh Howey changed that last year with the beginning of The Apocalypse Triptych. They invited authors to write short stories for each of the books to continue their stories throughout the triptych.

The End has Come deals with the final apocalypse in each authors’ stories. Not every
BigJohn
Jul 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
The last book in the Apocalypse Triptych is all about the rebuilding. Or, at least, it's about the slightly-less-tumultuous time after having survived whatever bad thing has happened, and how people are dealing with it.

As with the previous books, it's nice to see the stories wrapped up that are begun in book one and continued in book two. As with some of the others, there are intriguing one-shot stories that have the right context for inclusion in the book, but stand alone. And most of them do a
Blaine Moore
Jun 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
In the introduction, it's claimed that you don't need to read the first two books in order to enjoy this one, and that is probably true...but having read the first two books led to a much higher enjoyment factor for this third volume. It has been a while since I read them, so it took me a little ways into each story to remember what came before for each individual story, but once I did it was great to connect the dots, especially for the stories that appeared as part of each tryptych. I really e ...more
David
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Some of the early reviews of this anthology I read were pretty negative, so I hesitated to read it. However, I am glad I finally did. This was a very strong ending of the triptych. Many of the stories that were continued in all three books ended in unexpected ways. The only disappointment was the way the story by Hugh Howey ended. I don't think it was a bad ending, it was just very sad. If you have read the first two books of this series I recommend you read this one also. If you have not then I ...more
Guy
Jun 12, 2015 rated it liked it
I agree with a couple of others here about it running out of steam. It really felt like it was an incomplete ending to the series. I really wanted to like it but the stories sometimes fell flat and I do understand these are short stories but many were so far from being the story after the end (more so the end of the "during apocalypse") that there was no sense of closure (again understood that that should not always be the case), whether good, bad or indifferent.
John
May 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
WOW, what a great full circle! This entire series was wonderful and really opened my eyes to books that are like this with different writers in a single collection with the same theme but from different angles. The Disneyland story was pretty cool, sad of course but cool none the less. This was another one of those books where I wished it kept going, the possibilities are endless but this was a great collection. Really enjoyed this book as a closure to the entire series.
Samantha
Jun 04, 2015 rated it liked it
While there are some astonishingly wonderful stories in this the third of this series, I would have to say that it is weaker than the other two. There were some stories I hope to continue with that I didn't get to. While I Think the whole idea was very ambitious, in the end, it wasn't fully realized.
Kathy
Jan 31, 2015 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the first two installments more. Many of the stories in the final installment didn't feel connected to the first two. Overall I am not sorry I invested in all three books. I found a couple of new authors I will continue to follow.
Stephanie (Librarianish) Davidson
This is actually a review of the whole series. I group together the stories by whether they're continued throughout two or more of the books.

Pieces in All Three Anthologies:
Robin Wasserman: The Balm and the Wound; Dear John; in the Valley of the Shadow of the Promised Land
- apocalyptic cult and a con artist taking care of the kids, in the first story.
- survivor writing Dear John letters from a safe place under a mountain in the second
- kid who was dumped in the first story w/ the protagonist, a
Stacie
May 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
(This review is for "The Happiest Place..." by Mira Grant.)

I have to say that I didn't care for this story at all. I really did enjoy the other two, but this was not a great ending to the set of stories.

Normally, I appreciate Grant's/McGuire's ability to make an "unhappy" ending complete and satisfying. But I could not get over the *SPOILERS* killing of the dog by the main character, especially considering it was repeatedly mentioned. It was not a graphic description and I know it was supposed
Erica Orcutt
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend all three of the books in The Apocalypse Triptych. You can reach each stand alone, but it's great to read them in order as many of the authors have contributed stories to more than one of the volumes and then you can follow the characters. Overall the stories are really well written with great characters and world building. It's interesting how different authors see the Apocalypse occurring.

The only criticism I have is that it could be more diverse regarding the settings and
Cheri
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm the weird sort to enjoy short stories about the apocalypse and how/if humanity would go about rebuilding. Unlike other readers, I had no trouble recalling previous stories as I read the series one after the next. A few were misses and downright boring at time (acid rain and the movie geeks), the rest were thought inducing (killer fungus, nodding sickness, Nayima). Not all ended on a hopeful note, some were downright depressing. Great series of books.
Alison
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This triptych was so great - really adds up to more than the sum of its parts, especially once you get into book 3. I continued to enjoy the stories that carried through the series - some of the authors were really clever about how they broke a bigger plot up into short stories. Definitely worth reading this series if you like apocalyptic fiction.

• The Doomsday Chronicles (The Future Chronicles)
  • Grants Pass
  • Thunder Due East (Sand, #4)
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Ninth Annual Collection
  • Robot Uprisings
  • The Day the Dead Came to Show and Tell (Newsflesh Trilogy, #3.3)
  • After Death...
  • Best New Horror 24 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #24)
  • The Mammoth Book of Apocalyptic SF
  • Warrior Women
  • Hex in the City (Fiction River, #5)
John Joseph Adams is the series editor of BEST AMERICAN SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY. He is also the bestselling editor of many other anthologies, such as ROBOT UPRISINGS, DEAD MAN'S HAND, BRAVE NEW WORLDS,WASTELANDS, and THE LIVING DEAD. Recent and forthcoming books include WHAT THE #@&% IS THAT?, OPERATION ARCANA, PRESS START TO PLAY, LOOSED UPON THE WORLD, and THE APOCALYPSE TRIPTYCH (cons ...more

The Apocalypse Triptych (3 books)
  • The End is Nigh (The Apocalypse Triptych, #1)
  • The End is Now (The Apocalypse Triptych, #2)
“The city has millions of stories that I don’t know. Never did and never will.” 10 likes
“I see you walking around tunnels With the man I love and I’m like Haiku.” 1 likes