Start by marking “The Chicken Squad: The First Misadventure (Chicken Squad, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Chicken Squad: The First Misadventure (Chicken Squad, #1)

The Chicken Squad: The First Misadventure (A Chicken Squad Adventure #1)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  567 ratings  ·  136 reviews
They’re darling. They’re daring. They know their shapes! They’re chicks on a mission—and on this, their first (mis)adventure, the Chicken Squad launches a galactic backyard expedition.

Meet the Chicken Squad: Dirt, Sugar, Poppy, and Sweetie. These chicks are not your typical barnyard puffs of fluff, and they are not about to spend the
Published April 8th 2014 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Chicken Squad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chicken Squad

Chicken Squad are on their first case, when Squirrel comes to the chicken coop with some serious panic. And the Squirrel doesn't know the shapes well, so the Chicken Squad has even more difficulties, guessing the actual problem. But, they are still brave and start working together.

I loved the will definitely attract the little ones. Although it's not an interesting thriller, it will be good if this is read aloud in children's book clubs. It is educational and the kids will like the mys
A list of things I don't understand:
1. Why do the chickens have two names? This did nothing but confuse me.
2. Naming one chicken Sugar and another Sweetie doesn't help me keep them straight. To be honest, I had a hard time identifying the chickens throughout the entire book.
3. Why are the chickens attributed a "specialty" if it doesn't tie in with the plot? I get that this is going to be a series, but introducing a specialty without giving it a place in the story just feels like bad expository w
Chicken Squad by Doreen Cronin
This is such a fun book. I am glad the humor is still there in a book for older readers. I love the fancy words, the mystery, and the way the chicken squad works together. They talk and act just like a group of third graders. My favorite character has to be the dog, but they are so likable. Don’t expect a great piece of literature out of this book, but it is a fun story; kids will love it, and will bug their parents for more. Really, is there anymore you could a
Brenda Kahn
The chicks from the J.J. Tully mysteries get their own story in this adorable early chapter book spin-off. J.J. Tully makes an appearance as well.
Read for Librarian Book Group

Amusing beginning reader.
Lori Redman
The Chicken Squad consists of four chicks: Poppy, Dirt, Sugar, and Sweetie. You may remember them from Doreen Cronin's chapter book series of the J.J. Tully mysteries (such as "Trouble with Chickens"). J.J. Tully is the dog that lives in the backyard of a woman named Barbara. He watches over the chickens in the coop- the four chicks and their mother, Moosh. One day, a squirrel named Tail comes running into the coop alerting the chicks to the presence of something BIG and SCARY! Tail is not very ...more
This book is for 1st to 4th grade. These short, yellow, and fuzzy chicks are quite the little problem solvers. When the brave squirrel, Tail, is frightened by something big and scary in the yard it is up to these 4 chicks to discover what it is and save everyone.

Some activities to go with this book:
1) Why did the chicks say that they couldn't help the squirrel when he said there was something big and scary in the yard?
2)Why did the chicks want to know the shape of whatever scared squirrel?
Sara Kovach
What a fun, creative book. This is a spin-off from Cronin's J.J. Tulley Mysteries. The chickens now have their own stories, although J.J. is still a integral part - retired, and their protector.

Doreen Cronin is very well known for her silly animal stories - many of which I have in my classroom library. In The Chicken Squad, Cronin once again has managed to pack so much within a story. There is humor, a familiar dog, a "big and scary" mystery, very charismatic and personable chicks, and even a li
Delightfully slapstick in nature The Chicken Squad builds on the tiny, comical characters who first appear in The Trouble with Chickens, the original J.J. Tully mystery. A perfect graduation from her brilliant picture books, these short, easy chapter books by Doreen Cronin (of Click, Clack, Moo fame) provide an ideal bridge for young readers.

J.J. Tully, the retired police dog from Trouble with Chickens introduces the story and makes a short--but pivotal--appearance in the climax of the Chicken S
Reviewed first on Redeemed Reader

Meet the Chicken Squad: Dirt, Sugar, Sweetie, and Poppy, a brave (but very silly) group of amateur sleuths on the case of the Big and Scary object that Tail (the squirrel) has spotted in their yard. J. J. Tully, retired search-and-rescue dog, is napping quietly in the corner, hoping the chicks can keep themselves out of trouble for the afternoon… Super sleuthing chicks are a force with which to reckon, however, and the Chicken Squad is on the case: note-taking, d
Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney
Cronin, Doreen, and Kevin Cornell. The Chicken Squad. Atheneum Books. 2014. Print.
This review is also posted on Get Kids to Read:

The Chicken Squad is the first book in an early chapter book sequence by Doreen Cronin. Cronin who had previously written the very popular Click Clack Moo and Diary of a Worm books. The Chicken Squad is the story of four chickens a dog and a squirrel on a farm. The story reads similar to the pigeon series by Mo Willems. Children who ha
Oct 22, 2014 Debrarian rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of detective stories & silliness (eg. Hank the Cowdog, Wayside School).
This hard-boiled detective novel -- featuring worldly baby chicks, an easily overwrought squirrel with a big vocabulary but poor shape skills, a mysterious (and big and scary!) shape, and a good ol' dog -- cracked me up. First-rate chapter book. Vocabulary, plot and character build cleverly but with a straightforward progression - an early reader will find both success and delight here.

My only quibble (bringing it down to 4.5 stars in my book) is that I didn't love the illustrations. But they u
Doreen Cronin, best known for Click, Clack, Moo and Diary of a Worm, is bringing readers a new intermediate chapter book series. The first book in this humorous series is The Chicken Squad: The First Misadventure. Four chick siblings take it upon themselves to solve mysteries around the farmyard. Their first case is to figure out what big, scary thing is terrifying the resident squirrel. Of course, they might need a little bit of help from J. J. Tully, the dog that watches out for them. But that ...more
My first graders LOVED this book! They never guessed what the "BIG" and "SCARY" thing was, but it was fun listening to their guesses and how they changed as more clues were revealed. Too cute!
An irreverent reversal and send-up of Chicken Little, this story is both clever and foolish. Both the panicky squirrel and the super-calm chicks get into a spot of bother but it all comes out right in the end. The misadventure turns mainly on the seriousness of the protagonists and the revelation of the “big and scary” danger. The whole bit is wrapped up by an amused, wise dog and a very patient mother hen and proves that when intelligence is brought to bear on stupidity, intelligence can be the ...more
Sneaky geometry, smart and sassy talking animals, and possible aliens make this a fast and enjoyable read for any emerging reader. The quirky chicken squad is full of personality and verve as they explore every avenue of investigation to identify what has scared Tail the Squirrel. Will they find out in time to save everyone from the dangerous mystery?

Doreen Cronin is a master at imbuing animals with personality and humor, and this first in a series doesn't fall short.
This is a really cute beginning chapter book. It is the tale of a dog who is in charge of keeping the chickens in his yard safe. Of course, he has to keep them safe from themselves. The four chicks take up with a squirrel who convinces them there is a UFO in the yard out to kidnap the chicks. Turns out it is a barbeque and the dog has to save everything. Very cute and appropriate for beginning chapter book readers. A good recommendation for fans of Mercy Watson.
Narrated by Adam Grupper and Michelle O. Medlin
Recorded Books, 2014

Grupper does a fabulous job as J.J. Tully, retired search and rescue dog, and Medlin is hilarious as the chickens and, especially, the squirrel. The chickens know their shapes, but squirrel certainly does not! The story is silly in a way that will appeal to beginning readers, who will feel superior to squirrel. Great pacing and inflection on the part of both narrators brings out the humor.
I just have to say a big thank you to authors who write fun chicken books for kids. My son has always loved birds and especially loves our chickens. So when we find a book starring chickens he is immediately interested.

He really enjoyed this book and liked the illustrations. He understood most of the dry humor, though some I don't think he picked up on. It's a cute little adventure starring chickens that is a great chapter book reader.
The Chicken Squad is a silly, fun book that my girls loved a bit more than me but I still enjoyed. Four young chicks live in a backyard coop under the watchful eye of a friendly dog and their mother hen. One day, their neighborhood squirrel enters the coop in a panic and announces there is something new that is big and scary in the backyard. The chicks investigate and hilarity ensues. The cute illustrations add to this book and it makes for a fun, quick, early chapter book.
Jul 16, 2014 Martha rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Alice, Librariansteph, Marti, Elissa, Nadine
Shelves: k-3-chapter-book
After reading the first 2 titles in The Trouble with Chickens series I've been eagerly anticipating the next. I wasn't a bit disappointed. The Chicken Squad: the First Misadventure is real a hoot! This very funny and easiest to read 3rd book in the series has the 4 chicks and their guard dog J.J. Tully on a mission to save their mother Moosh and always scared Tail the squirrel from a mysterious dark shape.
Becky B
A squirrel named Tail comes charing over to the Chicken Squad with most important news. There's a big and scary thing in the yard! The chickens asked for clarification and quickly come to the conclusion that the squirrel has a good command of synonyms but needs work on shapes. Eventually they reach the conclusion that there is a UFO in the yard that must be chased off before it snatches up their mother (since it is obviously there for chickens, as squirrels are way more common and not as desirab ...more
Mari Anne
Another super cute early chapter book series from Cronin. A spin off from her JJ Tully series, another favorite, this follows the baby chicks as they try to help their new friend, Scaredy Squirrel, who has the tendency to faint. I was laughing out loud at this clever book. Perfect read aloud or together book for younger kids, and a great independent reader for early readers in grades K-3!
Lisa Newhouse
I thought the humor in this book was perfect for the third grade level. While reading it with my third grade student, she was laughing and enjoying the jokes. I reread it to myself later and thought it would be a great read aloud because of all the emotion that could be played out when read aloud. "Is the dog gone? Is the DOG GONE? IS THE DOG GONE?" Just hilarious. I think this book would be interesting for any reading level in third grade, but it would be really great for a student that is stru ...more
Ms Cronin, you really get kids! You've done it again! I found this a very funny and engaging mystery for the new-to-chapter-books reader. The illustrations support the story and add to the fun. The story had me turning pages wondering what could frighten this nervous squirrel so much. (I also have a soft spot in my heart for the misunderstood squirrel ever since Flora and Ulysses)
Retired search-and-rescue dog J. J. Tully, mother chicken Moosh and her four chicks, Dirt, Sugar, Poppy and Sweetie are back in a spin-off from the original series titled The Chicken Squad: The First Misadventure (Atheneum Books for Young Readers). Those four balls of yellow fluff take center stage in what can only be described as merry mayhem.

My full review:
Here's what I love...

If a kid loves Click, Clack, Moo then they can now move on to The Chicken Squad early readers, and then they can move on to The Trouble with Chickens and other J.J. Tully chapter books. What a genius way to keep kids reading your books throughout many years and reading levels!

It reminded me of Stick Dog, with a few less laughs. =)
Perfect for a 1st-2nd grader to read on their own, but younger readers will enjoy this as a read-aloud as well. When a squirrel sees a mysterious scary circle in the yard, the chicken squad (four chicks) are on a mission to investigate. Humorous, quick read with captivating illustrations... only drawback is that it is hard to keep characters straight.
Jill Stark
I read this for Mya's book bundle, but chose to discard it. The book is a cute animal story, in where little chicken detectives must solve a mystery for the silly squirrel. I felt that this book might seem a little childish for her. It would be a cute story for second graders and possibly third grade for independent reading. It would be a cute story to read to first graders.
Doreen Cronin has long been popular in my house - her sense of humor matches ours. I read the Trouble with Chickens/J.J. Tully books to the boys and they read these to themselves - a quick single setting read - so I had to pick one up too.
I like that her books move from read-aloud picture books to simple chapter books. Her books progress with her readers.
  • Leroy Ninker Saddles Up (Tales from Deckawoo Drive, #1)
  • Dory Fantasmagory
  • Lulu's Mysterious Mission
  • Unusual Chickens for the Exceptional Poultry Farmer
  • Lulu and the Duck in the Park
  • The Princess in Black (The Princess in Black, #1)
  • Like Carrot Juice on a Cupcake (Eleanor, #3)
  • Sadie and Ratz
  • The Misadventures of the Family Fletcher
  • Invisible Inkling
  • Rabbit and Robot: The Sleepover
  • The Terrible Two
  • Absolutely Truly (Pumpkin Falls Mystery)
Doreen Cronin was a practicing attorney in Manhattan when her first book Click, Clack Moo: Cows That Type became a publishing success. But her book was not published overnight, in fact, she had written this barnyard tale even before attending law school but only received rejection letters from publishers. Five years after submitting the original manuscript she got a call from a publisher who want ...more
More about Doreen Cronin...

A Chicken Squad Adventure (2 books)
  • The Case of the Weird Blue Chicken: The Next Misadventure (Chicken Squad Adventure, #2)
Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type Diary of a Worm Giggle, Giggle, Quack Diary of a Spider Dooby Dooby Moo