Start by marking “The Chicken Squad: The First Misadventure (Chicken Squad, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Chicken Squad: The First Misadventure (Chicken Squad, #1)

The Chicken Squad: The First Misadventure (Chicken Squad #1)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  1,631 Ratings  ·  264 Reviews
They might be chicks, but they sure aren’t chicken, and they’re on a mission. And on this, their first (mis)adventure “in this delightful spinoff of the J.J. Tully series” (Kirkus Reviews), the Chicken Squad launches a galactic backyard expedition.

Meet the Chicken Squad: Dirt, Sugar, Poppy, and Sweetie. These chicks are not your typical barnyard puffs of fluff, and they ar
Published April 8th 2014 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Chicken Squad, please sign up.

Rick
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A list of things I don't understand:
1. Why do the chickens have two names? This did nothing but confuse me.
2. Naming one chicken Sugar and another Sweetie doesn't help me keep them straight. To be honest, I had a hard time identifying the chickens throughout the entire book.
3. Why are the chickens attributed a "specialty" if it doesn't tie in with the plot? I get that this is going to be a series, but introducing a specialty without giving it a place in the story just feels like bad expository w
Sandra
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-fiction
These chicks are something! Dirt, Sweetie, Poppy and Sugar love to solve mysteries. This time is not the exception. When Tail, the squirrel, comes asking for help, he knows he is in the right place. Unfortunately he is not really good at providing clues about what he saw. Big and scary? Not really helpful. Enormous and frightening? Still useless... This lack of progress would have discouraged anyone, but not the chicken squad.

We loved this book. We loved it because the story is hilarious. We lov
Megan (ReadingRover)
It's a good thing JJ is always around to keep an eye on the Chicken Squad because if he wasn't who knows what kind of trouble they'd get into! This was a cute funny spinoff of the JJ books.
Cathy
Nov 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
*ARC
Chicken Squad by Doreen Cronin
This is such a fun book. I am glad the humor is still there in a book for older readers. I love the fancy words, the mystery, and the way the chicken squad works together. They talk and act just like a group of third graders. My favorite character has to be the dog, but they are so likable. Don’t expect a great piece of literature out of this book, but it is a fun story; kids will love it, and will bug their parents for more. Really, is there anymore you could a
Vidya-BooksAreMagic
Chicken Squad are on their first case, when Squirrel comes to the chicken coop with some serious panic. And the Squirrel doesn't know the shapes well, so the Chicken Squad has even more difficulties, guessing the actual problem. But, they are still brave and start working together.

I loved the cover..it will definitely attract the little ones. Although it's not an interesting thriller, it will be good if this is read aloud in children's book clubs. It is educational and the kids will like the mys
Kristen
May 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
This was really cute. I love that the chicks all have their own personalities and that they are all quite hilarious. It's adorable that J.J. the dog is tasked with keeping them in line, and yet he lets them believe in their UFO mystery. A fun story for young readers.
Lulu
this book is so funny and it is a really good book
Nicole
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first graders LOVED this book! They never guessed what the "BIG" and "SCARY" thing was, but it was fun listening to their guesses and how they changed as more clues were revealed. Too cute!
Patricia
Read for Librarian Book Group

Amusing beginning reader.
Brenda Kahn
The chicks from the J.J. Tully mysteries get their own story in this adorable early chapter book spin-off. J.J. Tully makes an appearance as well.
  • Leroy Ninker Saddles Up (Tales from Deckawoo Drive, #1)
  • Tales of Bunjitsu Bunny (Bunjitsu Bunny #1)
  • Lulu and the Dog from the Sea (Lulu #2)
  • Lulu's Mysterious Mission
  • Pigsticks and Harold and the Incredible Journey
  • Dory Fantasmagory
  • Unusual Chickens for the Exceptional Poultry Farmer
  • Detective Gordon: The First Case
  • The Story of Diva and Flea
  • The Princess in Black (The Princess in Black, #1)
  • Like Carrot Juice on a Cupcake (Eleanor, #3)
  • Sadie and Ratz
  • Emma and the Blue Genie
  • Rescue on the Oregon Trail (Ranger in Time, #1)
  • The Vanishing Coin (The Magic Shop Book 1)
  • Clover's Luck (The Magical Animal Adoption Agency, #1)
  • Harriet the Invincible (Hamster Princess, #1)
Doreen Cronin was a practicing attorney in Manhattan when her first book Click, Clack Moo: Cows That Type became a publishing success. But her book was not published overnight, in fact, she had written this barnyard tale even before attending law school but only received rejection letters from publishers. Five years after submitting the original manuscript she got a call from a publisher who want ...more
More about Doreen Cronin...

Chicken Squad (6 books)
  • The Case of the Weird Blue Chicken (Chicken Squad Misadventure #2)
  • Into the Wild: Yet Another Misadventure (A Chicken Squad Adventure #3)
  • Dark Shadows: Yes, Another Misadventure (Chicken Squad #4)
  • Gimme Shelter: Misadventures and Misinformation (Chicken Squad #5)
  • Bear Country (Chicken Squad #6)