Start by marking “Obsession, Deceit, and Really Dark Chocolate (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery, #3)” as Want to Read:
Obsession, Deceit, and Really Dark Chocolate (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery, #3)

Obsession, Deceit, and Really Dark Chocolate

(Sophie Katz Murder Mystery #3)

Mind her own business? Leave it to the experts? Not a chance.

Sophie Katz's relationship with the irresistible and occasionally insufferable P.I. Anatoly Darinsky is on the fritz when a friend recruits Sophie's investigation skills to decode her possibly two-timing husband's strange behavior. When Sophie shows up in a short, red cocktail dress and her friend's hubby winds
Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Published September 1st 2007 by Red Dress Ink (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Obsession, Deceit, and Really Dark Chocolate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Obsession, Deceit, and Really Dark Chocolate

Start your review of Obsession, Deceit, and Really Dark Chocolate (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery, #3)
Monica **can't read fast enough**
This was a quick enjoyable installment in the series, but there wasn't anything that stood out as particularly special about the story. It didn't keep me guessing but I did find myself rapidly moving through the story. Worth the read though and it filled a spot for MarchMysteryMadness.

Where you can find me:
•(♥).•*Monlatable Book Reviews*•.(♥)•
Twitter: @monicaisreading
Instagram: @readermonica
Goodreads Group: The Black Bookcase

Lisa Kay
★★★★ Obsession, Deceit, and Really Dark Chocolate is the third installment in the Sophie Katz novels. It is a chick-lit mystery with plenty of witty humor and a smidgen of romance. Just my cuppa tea for a break from my plethora of Historical Romances!

Sophie Katz is the heroine in this series and, though she is a successful writer, she finds herself involved in a murder mystery again. This time she is helping out her friend and mentor, Melanie, who thinks her conservative husband, Eugene, is che
Marythios (AkaSusanne )
Sophie gets an odd request from her friend and mentor, Melanie O’Reilly, and feels compelled to help her out. Melanie, who is married to Eugene who is involved in a political campaign, suspects her husband of infidelity. She asks Sophie to try to seduce him to see if he is eager to take the bait, so to speak. Fortunately, Eugene O’Reilly proves to be an honest man, unfortunately, he is shot and killed in a drive-by shooting just minutes after parting ways with Sophie. Feeling sorry for her frien ...more
Teresa
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
The audio for this one was pretty fun and exactly what I needed. Some parts of the story were ridiculous but I was still engaged. It's the perfect blend of the female PI series I used to read with a bit of romance.
Megan
Jul 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
Ugh. This might just be the worst mystery novel I have ever read. The heroine, Sophie, is vapid in an especially irritating 90's cliche way (actually this whole book is drenched with so many 90's cliches that only the 9-11 references convinced me it was published in the 2000s). She spends much of the book far more worried about her relationship with off-again, on-again boyfriend Anatoly than about the mystery. (Their relationship issues are resolved by Anatoly "getting" a celebrity reference tha ...more
Sunny
Oct 03, 2018 rated it liked it
It’s not everyday that you’re asked by your former mentor to try and seduce her husband. And it’s not everyday that he picks that night to get shot, leaving his would-be seductress as a witness to murder.

Sophie Katz thought she had seen- and written - enough violent crime to last at least a few months, but obviously she was wrong. Now, considering herself an amateur sleuth, she feels compelled to get to the bottom of another murder. One that her sexy-Russian-P.I of an ex is investigating, too. G
Annelise
Mar 22, 2011 rated it did not like it
I'm only giving this book one star because I can't give it zero. I only finished it because I was reading it on my ereader and if I didn't finish it, the book would sit there, open, every time I turned the reader on.

I really enjoyed the first book in this series. Didn't enjoy the second one as much and absolutely hated this one. I hated the way Johnny was written (do men really 'gush' when they talk?), I hated the way Sophie said things like "It sooo is not!" when she was arguing with Anatoly, I
Alison Smith
Jun 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
More murder with a touch of naughty fun en route
Kat, lover of bears...
The series gets better the more we get to know the characters. It wasn't lacking anything prior to this book, we just know everyone better. Sophie's relationship issues with Anatoly get more interesting, but I like how neither of them become pining, moping, emotional teenagers about it. Sophie's one liners, her group of friends and her curiosity to solve a mystery is what makes this series so awesome.
Shaunesay
Sep 20, 2008 rated it liked it
I'm kind of lukewarm on this one, the first two were more entertaining I think. I still liked it, and will read the next one, but of the three so far, this one isn't my favorite.
Jory P.
Nov 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Furries! Politicians! Plushies! I mean, what more could you ask for?
Aubrey
Apr 02, 2019 rated it liked it
I wasn't as keen on this Sophie Katz adventure as I have been the previous two. While I did enjoy the book overall, I found a lot of the "murder mystery" aspect to be way too convoluted.

Sophie is no stranger to putting herself in danger. She tends to throw caution completely to the wind and throw herself head-first into a "favour for a friend" or a case in order to avoid her other troubles. Avoidance isn't exactly the healthiest method, but hey, I get it, I avoid shit all the time. And then it c
Crazy for Books (Stephanie)
I normally love this character and series, and there was much that was extremely funny about the book... But I, seriously, can't understand why it took anyone in this book so long to figure anything out. I knew from the first chapter who the guy who was killed was referring to. I'm also surprised that Marcus didn't get what was happening when Sophie told him about the voice on the phone telling him that the voice said he "liked wearing a Panda suit."

Sophie also, never listened much to what the
Rachel Consoli
Mar 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
I very much enjoy this series, it’s just so fun. Nothing ground breaking and can be a little repetitive so breaking it up with other books is a great idea. This is the first one that ended with a cliffhanger which is fun. I’m kind of annoyed it started out with Anatoly and Sophie not together. I would’ve liked to see their tension and arguments, but start off another book with her pissy knowing they’d get back together. All in all tho, another fun romp. I guessed the killer n it was kind of a la ...more
Emily
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The mystery in this book wasn't as difficult to figure out, but the ride was just as fun as ever. I was glad to get to know Mary Ann little better in this book, and I knew Dena's professional expertise would once again come in handy for Sophie.
Renee M
Nov 03, 2018 rated it liked it
2.5 Stars. My least favorite of the three. I didn’t mind that the killer was obvious, but the politics was predictable. I did like the deepening of the character relationships, but I’d like to have had more of that. Still, it was a fun, light read and that’s what I was looking for.
Shauna
Jul 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
I’m starting to enjoy the characters more. I accidentally skipped #2, so now I’ll have to go back and listen to that one.

I also really wonder if she gets some kind of kick-back feom Starbucks and Neiman Marcus for all of the mentions in her books.
Jolie
Jul 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Sophie and friends are alternately funny, fraught with drama, and endearing. And the mystery was a little twisty in a didn't-see-that-coming sort of way.
Shoshana Frank
Excellent continuation of the series. Light political thriller elements.
Alison
Dec 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I knew it was him! After reading the first book in this series, I’ve come to pay attention to the underrated characters. I’m hoping the next book is a little less obvious.
Brooke Sillaby
May 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Round up to 3.5 stars. Not quite as good as the first two books.
Erin L
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I seriously love these mysteries. They're light, fun and intriguing. Plus - furries.

Hee hee. Furries.
Tonya Johnson
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this author and character!!
Nancy
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: series, mystery, jewish
I keep picking up Cozy Mysteries to read, because I used to like them, but I guess I really don't anymore. It just seemed too silly to me, I gave up.
Tori
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
I almost stopped reading this because the main character was acting like a teenager in response to Anatoly, but I like the Anatoly character so I kept reading.
Dr. Barton
May 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit-fun
I love a fun female-centric read and Sophie doesn’t disappoint. Mystery with a hint of fashion, love, and friends.
Whitney
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is book 3 in the sophie mysteries and let me tell you, it is amazing! I would read the other 2 otherwise you would probably ve confused but they are so good you wouldn't regret it.
Anika Cheung
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
A little romance, and mystery.
Ellyn (Mrs. Darcy in my Dreams)
This seemed too far fetched. The plot wasn't as interesting as in previous stories.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• P.S. It's Always Been You: Part 1
  • Shopping for a Billionaire 4 (Shopping for a Billionaire, #4)
  • Shopping for a Billionaire 3 (Shopping for a Billionaire, #3)
  • Sense of Deception (Psychic Eye Mystery, #13)
  • Heidi's Guide to Four Letter Words
  • Feisty (Do-Over, #3)
  • Christmas Shopping for a Billionaire (Shopping for a Billionaire, #5)
  • Shopping for a Billionaire 2 (Shopping for a Billionaire, #2)
  • The Witch's Halloween Hero (Nocturne Falls, #4.5)
  • No Were To Run (Shift Happens, #3)
  • P.S. It's Always Been You: Part 3
  • P.S. It's Always Been You: Part 2
  • Were Me Out (Shift Happens, #4)
  • The Gargoyle Gets His Girl (Nocturne Falls, #3)
  • Peachy Flippin' Keen (Southern Eclectic, #1.5)
  • The Werewolf Meets His Match (Nocturne Falls, #2)
New York Times bestselling author of JUST ONE NIGHT, DECEPTIVE INNOCENCE, the Sophie Katz mysteries, SO MUCH FOR MY HAPPY ENDING and the upcoming DANGEROUS ALLIANCE, JUST ONCE MORE and JUST ONE LIE (July 28th, 2015).

Sophie Katz Murder Mystery (7 books)
  • Sex, Murder and a Double Latte (Sophie Katz Murder Mystery #1)
  • Passion, Betrayal And Killer Highlights (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery, #2)
  • Lust, Loathing and a Little Lip Gloss (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery, #4)
  • Vows, Vendettas and a Little Black Dress (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery, #5)
  • Vanity, Vengeance And A Weekend In Vegas (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery, #6)
  • Chaos, Desire & a Kick-Ass Cupcake (Sophie Katz Murder Mystery, #7)