Start by marking “Dancing for the Devil: One Woman's Dramatic and Divine Rescue from the Sex Industry” as Want to Read:

A Simon & Schuster eBook. Simon & Schuster has a great book for every reader.
Published October 21st 2014 by Howard Books (first published September 2nd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Dancing for the Devil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dancing for the Devil

Start your review of Dancing for the Devil: One Woman's Dramatic and Divine Rescue from the Sex Industry
Laura Jean
Spoiler alert: I'm not a Christian.

However, I do respect those who are. What really struck me about this book was the author's statement in the introductory note, that she believes in telling the whole gory unpleasant truth of her experiences, because it is important for other people to realize that God loves you anyway....regardless...of the horrible things you've done. She is willing to let her life serve as an example of that. That's not an easy thing to do. It takes guts.

The next thing tha
Cafelilybookreviews
Readers need to be forewarned that while the publisher and author did an amazing job of presenting such a horrific, explicit topic without profanity or overly graphic descriptions, this book is not what I consider suitable for all readers. I would caution that this for mature audiences only.

This memoir was mentally taxing to read at times. I found myself wondering how a young woman from such a loving, stable home would end up in such hellish environments. Anny answers that question and more, wi
Martha Paschall-Boykin
Amazing story! As Christians, what messages are we sending to others? Are we judging and criticizing or are we sharing God's unconditional love? ...more
Paul Pessolano
Sep 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Dancing for the Devil” by Anny Donewald with Carrie Gerlach Cecil, published by Howard Books.

Category – Memoir Publication Date – September 02, 2014

The sub-title to this book is, “One Woman’s Dramatic and Divine Rescue from the Sex Industry”. This is not a book that contains sexual content or strong language, although the subject matter lends itself to graphic description and explicit language the authors, at the request of the publisher, tells her story in a language that is acceptable to even
Amy
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely life changing. Excellent writing style, I felt as if I were going through life with Anny.
Being from the GR area and attending MSU in Lansing gave me a real feel for the journey.
Courageous and Authentic Anny wins the prize.

Thank you for sharing your courage and incredible awareness. This also truly helps when raising teens and realizing they have their own journey. LOVE THEM WHERE THEY ARE. Love and kindness prevails!
Victoria
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
Her honesty without being graphic about the sexuality that she endured. She was very humble and admirable for opening up as she did.

Anny really talked the most about herself and her father throughout this especially. I really love learning about how her upbringing was. She was and is truly blessed to have a father who cares so much about her and parents who didn't look down on her but always tried to help her despite her choices.

I really liked her story about her neighbor who made wolf sounds. T
Judy
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A truly profound spiritual journey about someone lucky enough not to become a statistic, thanks to a loving family. 99.5% of people who work in the sex industry have been abused in their childhood and they need a way out. Eve's Angels are hope for a different life.
The book talks a lot about the stripping life. I wonder what her relationship with her siblings was like. She explains the tumble down the rabbit hole of addiction quite well and soon we see how the dancing and drugs are a vicious circ
Cleo Reynolds
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fascinating story and a brilliant read. this is a story of sex for sale, drugs and debauchery at hits damndest, Following abuse at 13 years of age she embarked down the road of personal hell where women are both trapped and trafficked, where sexi is sold, itsd an insiders view to the seedy side of the sex industry, from both stripper to pole dancer where nothing comes easy, a place of secrets never to be told together with an eventual journey of healing.
Veronica Marie Lewis-Shaw
(Reviewer's note: I received, upon request, a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher, Howard Books - a division of Simon & Schuster, in exchange for my honest review. vmls)

Fame... one's own or that of a friend or family... and the price that we are willing to pay to protect that fame, coupled with being sexually abused as a young teen set young Anny Donewald on a course... on a journey... of self-destruction that very nearly claimed her soul forever.

Dancing with the Devil tells the h
Victor Gentile
Nov 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anny Donewald with Carrie Gerlach Cecil in her new book, “Dancing for the Devil” published by Howard Books gives us One Woman’s Dramatic and Divine Rescue from the Sex Industry.

From the back cover: All that glitters is not gold.

An explosive memoir of transformation from a high-end stripper and escort who hit rock-bottom, turned to God, and left the sex trade to found Eve’s Angels, a ministry reaching out to women in the sex industry.

Growing up as the daughter of an NCAA Championship-winning bask
Gigi
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I will say first that I like the title of the book. Also, I was very happy that the authors avoided the profanity that they no doubt could have included.

I bought Dancing for the Devil in spite of having stopped following Anny Donewald on Facebook a few years earlier. I found a lot of her theological pronouncements to be just kind of uninformed and tiresome. I recall feeling put off by her tough girl routine and also think that people who put themselves out publicly as evangelists for Christ sho
Faye
Jul 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anny Donewald tells her story, sharing from her heart about her past and the great things that God has done and is still doing in her life.

Anny Donewald grew up the daughter of a famous NCAA basketball coach, with the eyes of a small town constantly upon her and family. Anny experienced sexual abuse at a young age, and again in college, and eventually found herself working as a stripper and raising her young daughter on her own.

Anny tells her story honestly and compellingly about the heartache
Anthem Book Review

Anny Donewald’s Dancing for the Devil opens the door to what actually takes place behind all the allure of strip clubs and high-priced prostitution. It would seem that the world of the sex industry, which has sadly become so mainstream in American culture, was all glitz and glam. Yet, in reality there are souls of broken and lost girls that have experienced sexual abuse at an alarming rate that led many of these women down this path. Donewald’s book Dancing with the Devil provides an in-depth lo
Dianne
Nov 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's amazing how 1 or 2 things in an almost perfect childhood can change a person so severely and make them make such bad choices, one after the other until they are so deep in their hole that they can't see a way out, then turn to drugs as an escape and make things even worse. Anny's story went on through years of strip clubs and drug abuse and it was hard to read at times, but it was interesting to see what goes on in that world and how things are done, how sex workers are groomed by other sex ...more
Suzi Voss
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the pleasure of meeting Anny at my church a couple of years ago, as she is involved in outreach ministry there. Most stories about girls who end up in the sex trade feature girls from broken homes and poverty situations, which was not Anny's case at all. She grew up with loving parents; her father was a well-known basketball coach and they were able to send her to one of the best creative arts schools in the Midwest. Her story of how she ended up in the sex trade, how her faith got her out ...more
Jennifer Jarrell
Beautiful Story of Redemption!

This autobiography tells of a woman's transformation from a young innocent girl to a stripper/prostitute and how she was redeemed by turning to Jesus as her Lord and Savior. She now has a full time ministry witnessing to and pouring out love to other women in the sex industry. She writes beautifully that it is love and grace that will win these women to the Lord, not condemnation and scorn. A great read for anyone who loves tales of beauty from ashes!
Pam Thomas
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nneka Bosland
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story is riveting. Any really went down the wrong path repeatedly and through the grace of God and her dedicated, patient and outstanding parents, she was able to find her way back home. It's inspiring and teaches you to never give up on someone you love. ...more
Christina
Jul 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learned a lot very moving
Rhemaboy
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Raw, real and challenging.
Amazing how God never quits on us.

This young lady had riches in the 'world' but poverty stricken spiritually.
Love wins...!
Kara
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hard to read at times, but an amazing story!
Don McNay
Feb 23, 2020
Linda
May 17, 2018
Lindsay Frahn
rated it did not like it
Mar 28, 2019

• Girl With No Job: The Crazy Beautiful Life of an Instagram Thirst Monster
  • My Friend Anna: The True Story of a Fake Heiress
  • Don't You Forget About Me
  • Embraced: 100 Devotions to Know God Is Holding You Close
  • Fly Away (Firefly Lane, #2)
  • Life Inside the Bubble: Why a Top-Ranked Secret Service Agent Walked Away from It All
  • Called for Life: How Loving Our Neighbor Led Us into the Heart of the Ebola Epidemic
  • Fallen: Out of the Sex Industry  Into the Arms of the Savior
  • The Carolina Heirlooms Collection: The Prayer Box / The Story Keeper / The Sea Keeper's Daughters (A Carolina Heirlooms Novel)
  • The Sea Keeper's Daughters (Carolina #3)
  • The Prayer Box (Carolina Heirlooms #1)
  • Read and Buried (Lighthouse Library Mystery, #6)
  • The River at Night
  • Good Girls Lie
  • The Theft of America’s Soul: Blowing the Lid Off the Lies That Are Destroying Our Country
  • The Haven