Start by marking “The King's General” as Want to Read:
The King's General

The King's General

Honor Harris is only eighteen when she first meets Richard Grenvile, proud, reckless - and utterly captivating. But following a riding accident, Honor must reconcile herself to a life alone. As the English Civil war is waged across the country, Richard rises through the ranks of the army, marries and makes enemies, and Honor remains true to him.

Decades later, an undaunted
Published December 17th 2013 by Little, Brown and Company (first published 1946)

To ask other readers questions about The King's General, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The King's General

Start your review of The King's General
Misfit
Set during the English Civil War of the 1640's, du Maurier retells a lesser known bit of Cornish history as an elderly Honor Harris reflects back on her life and love. Wooed by the charming, irascible but extremely flawed Richard Grenvile, eighteen year old Honor loses her heart and prepares to marry Richard until an accident permanently cripples her from the waist down. Richard and Honor separate, but meet years later during the Civil War as he is now the King's General in the West as they ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
The King's General, Daphne du Maurier
The King's General is a novel, published in 1946, by English author and playwright Daphne du Maurier.
The novel is set at the time of the English Civil War. A middle-aged Honor Harris narrates the story of her youth, from the age of ten, when living with her brother Robin. The narrative begins when Kit, Honor's oldest brother, brings home his new bride, Gartred. After only three years, Kit dies of smallpox and Gartred moves away. At age eighteen, Honor meets
Elaine
Apr 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
This book started so compulsive and enticing and delicious. But somewhere it bogged down into a relatively plodding glimpse of the English Civil War. The sexy thrill of the early chapters was never recaptured, and the promise of drama and derring-do never really fulfilled. du Maurier is great at creating a world, but this time she didn't quite seem to have the dramatic plot twist to go with her build up.
Natalie Richards
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-book
Fantastic historical novel set during the English civil war in the 15th century. No one writes a story quite like du Maurier!
T.D. Whittle
Once I pick up a Daphne du Maurier novel, I tend to find I can't stop reading until I either fall asleep or reach the end. Sometimes, I begin to get a headache from eye strain or simply must stop to take care of my own life in the here and now. She could really tell a story! Auntie Daphne would have been the best person in the world to sit around the hearth with, on a cold winter's night. And, of course, she wrote with such eloquence. Even when I don't love the particular characters or themes, ...more
Hannah
Mar 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating Clarification: 4.5 Stars

I knew I was going to love this book even before I picked it up. For one thing, it's by Daphne duMaurier, which means it's going to be top notch fiction. Secondly, it's set during a time period I really enjoy. Thirdly, my GR friends all rated it 4 or 5 stars (between them, these ladies know their historical fiction, so for all of them to rate it high was confirmation that this was going to be a winner).

I wasn't disappointed. DuMaurier's tale set in Cornwall during
classic reverie
I have read at least a handful of Daphne's books & plan on reading all at some point. She was has you wondering where she is going with the story & I was quite surprised as usuasl. A great historical read.

Many times I go into a book without knowing anything about the story but knowing that the author is a favorite of mine, such is The King's General by Daphne du Maurier. I rarely even read a foreword before reading a book but generally read it after. I am glad I continue this practice
Pam Baddeley
As a fan of Rebecca and someone who is very interested in the English Civil War and the huge social upheavals it caused, I wanted to love this book, but sadly could not in the end. It has some interesting elements, and the author does manage to make the disability of her viewpoint character, Honor Harris, work, but the first part at least could have been set in Victorian times. Only when we reach the section where (view spoiler) ...more
Jess
'Time heals all wounds, say the complacent, but I think it is not so much time that does it as determination of the spirit. And the spirit can often turn to devil in the darkness.'

Du Maurier is an exceptional storyteller, I’ll give her that. This is a fascinating glimpse into one of the darker and lesser known facets of history: the people’s experience of the English Civil War.

The King’s General is charged throughout with a clear love of the Cornish landscape and its history; in my opinion, it
Dolors
Mar 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
I had had this book on my shelf for quite a long time, bought it in impulse after having read Rebecca three years ago and having fallen in love with Du Maurier's captivating writing style.
I didn't seem to find the right moment to plunge into it, even more after the disappointment I had with "The loving spirit", Du Maurier's first novel.

Haven't I been losing time by reading far more mediocre books these past years!
The King's General is a book which has it all. A haunting castle which reminded me
Barb
This is the third novel I've read written by Daphne du Maurier, she is an amazingly talented writer. I read a ridiculous number of books every year and only rarely do I find myself giving out five star reviews. I love historical fiction and I love Daphne Du Maurier's writing.

The King's General is a complex and compelling story. Du Maurier weaves together a bitter-sweet love story and a tale of brutal civil war then adds a dash of suspense. The characters she creates are based on actual people
Mela
Wow.

It was really moving. A true story of Richard Grenville and Honor Harris.

There is all what should have a good historical fiction and a brilliant love story. The characters (especially Richard and Honor) are complex and great described. Hero and heroine are independent but whatever is going on in their life, wherever they are, they simply love each other. Whether they are together or not, it is not so important for their love. I don't want to spoil you, if you haven't read this book yet. I
Heidi
I read this long ago, when I was a teenager, so do not remember many details of the plot, except that it involved a very unusual love story between a general in the army of King Charles I (English Civil war) and a woman who was a paraplegic. The general, Richard Grenville, was engaged to the woman many years ago, but then she had a terrible accident that paralyzed her from the waist down and refused to see him again (too depressed, didn't want his pity, etc.) When the civil war begins, he ends ...more
C.C. Humphreys
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Having read one Daphne du Maurier years ago - The Scapegoat - I have now added three more:
Frenchman's Creek, The House on the Strand, and this one.
She is quite brilliant. her characters are strong, vivid and the writing so muscular - the depiction of a house ravaged by Civil War could have come from Damascus today.
Such a great, multi-layered protagonist too. And an unlikable yet likeable lover in Grenville.
Strangely, I have never read the most famous one: Rebecca. Should I?
Dillwynia Peter
Apr 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know only the bare basics of the Civil War that lead to the downfall of Charles I, and was not aware that the conflict in Cornwall was so important to the outcome.

du Maurier again has strong women characters that one finds refreshing in a mid 20th Century novel, without compromising on the male ones. The war themes are well presented, along with the historical facts, without getting in the way of the narrative & development of the characters. The sense of Cornwall & du Maurier's love
MissSusie
I love du Maurier’s writing let me start with that, she is one of my favorite authors however this book fell a little flat for me, it didn’t have the suspense that Rebecca or Jamaica Inn had. As always she captures a time and a place so expertly and the writing is beautiful but for me this just didn’t have the gothic feel and suspense I look for in a du Maurier book.
You can also never go wrong when Juliet Stevenson is narrating and the combination of these two is perfection but even Juliet
Emery Lee
Dec 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been many years since I've read anything by Daphne DuMaurier. I had expected the gothic feel to the book but this was much more of a historical title than I had anticipated with very detailed accounts of the English Civil War as it affected those in Cornwall.

The main protagonists were unusual and the "hero" incredibly flawed. The relationship between DuMaurier's heroine, Honor, and the ruthless rogue,Richard Grenvile, can only be described as a truly "grand passion." I loved how Honor
Trish
Jun 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Written about the English civil war and published at the end of the Second World War, this book says a lot about the harrowing experience of living through a war and the powerlessness of women, children, and other bystanders, but without ever hitting you over the head with it. It's also really refreshing to read about a romantic heroine who genuinely is> feisty and spirited, without the writer ever having to tell you that she's feisty and spirited.
I also thought it was interesting how little
Clare Snow
That ending slayed me. I'm over here in the corner, sobbing uncontrollably.
Daniel
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am not articulate enough to express how much I loved this book.
Mmars
Apr 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Really 3.5

Here's what I liked about this book. The book takes place in Cornwall during the British Civil War of the 1640s. It's sort of a romance. But the heroine is crippled and the hero is a villain. Their love is never consumated. It so happens I started reading I Wear the Black Hat: Grappling With Villains right after I finished this book. In the first essay Klosterman states "in any situation, the villain is the person who knows the most but cares the least" about what others think. Bingo.
Andrea Zuvich
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
The King's General is an enjoyable read set during the English Civil Wars - though I must admit that I found this story less exciting than Frenchman's Creek, another du Maurier set during the seventeenth century. I wasn't overly keen on Richard as the hero, for one thing, and disliked how he treated some of the other characters, especially Dick.
Victoria Vane
Dec 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Morena
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.
Daphne du Maurier as always does not disappoint me! This is a historical fiction/gothic suspense book, written as only Daphne can write. This is my third du Maurier, after Rebecca and My cousin Rachel and I'll be definitely reading more from her. I'm not giving the book 5 stars only because somewhere in the between I found there were few repetitions, which at a certain point became boring. The main character, Honor, is indeed a strong one, one of those you can't forget. Actually, after
Ann
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Lovely book. If you go by the Goodreads description, you'll think this is your basic gothic romance. It is, at it's core, the story of the romance between Richard Grenvile and Honor Harris, but it is much more than that. It's a well-researched and respectful historical novel that deals with the effects of war on a society and on individuals, the complicated nature of marital and family relationships, jealousies, parental expectations, and gender expectations. It's a complicated work of ...more
Lisa
One of Daphne du Maurier's lesser known novels but one that is certainly deserving of more attention. Set during the English Civil War, it's got romance, intrigue, suspense, beautiful descriptions of the Cornish scenery and some great characters, including a very unique and memorable heroine. I did get a little bogged down at times, particularly with some of the Civil War related stuff, which is why I rated it 4 stars but on the whole, I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to others.
Tracey Chorley
This is the first du Maurier I read, so it will always hold a special place for me. If you've not read it I urge you to, it's atmospheric to the point that I obsessed about it when I wasn't reading it. Captivated me from page 1.
May 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all Du Maurier fans
A very touching love story under the British civil war. Dame Du Maurier knows to impress us with every book she wrote. My favorite? very hard to decide since I still have some other books to read: My Cousin Rachel, The Scapegoat, The Flight of Falcon....
K.J. Chapman
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review is featured on my blog: Writerly Bookish Stuff.

Honor Harris looks back on her life from her teens, through the English Civil War, and after. Through her truthful recount of the man who stole her heart, Richard Grenville, and her life in a wheelchair, she tells a tale of love, mystery, war, and misery.

Du Maurier never fails to create an atmospheric experience for the reader. I was transported to Cornwall in the 1600's, and through the eyes of Honor, I had a raw, real recount of the
John
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A story set in Cornwall during the English Civil War in the 1640s. Honor a spoilt child from a wealthy family falls in love with Sir Richard Grenville a swashbuckling soldier with a temper and disreputable reputation. They become engaged but then tragedy strikes with Honor becoming a cripple just before the wedding which due to the accident does not take place.

Years later they meet again and realize they still love each other. Richard is the Kings General fighting the Parliamentarians in
2015 Reading Chal...: The King's General by Daphne du Maurier 1 15 May 07, 2015 06:16AM

• Burning Your Boats: The Collected Short Stories
  • Mrs de Winter
  • Confession with Blue Horses
  • Persia, bridge of turquoise
  • A Song for Summer
  • The Beginning of Everything (The Rising #1)
  • Anchor and Storm
  • The Two Mrs. Abbotts (Miss Buncle, #3)
  • The Shadow of the Bear (A Fairy Tale Retold #1)
  • The Lost Prince
  • Sandworm: A New Era of Cyberwar and the Hunt for the Kremlin's Most Dangerous Hackers
  • The Miracle Of The Bells
  • Chasing the Bear (A Young Spenser Novel)
  • The Other Bennet Sister
If Daphne du Maurier had written only Rebecca, she would still be one of the great shapers of popular culture and the modern imagination. Few writers have created more magical and mysterious places than Jamaica Inn and Manderley, buildings invested with a rich character that gives them a memorable life of their own.

In many ways the life of Daphne du Maurier resembles a fairy tale. Born into a
“In memory of Robert Harris, sometime Major-General of His Majesty's forces before Plymouth, who was buried hereunder the 29th day of June 1655. And of Honor Harris his sister, who was likewise here underneath buried, the 17th day of November, in the year of our Lord 1653.
Loyall and stout; they Crime this--this thy praise.
Thou'rt here with Honour laid--though without Bayes.”
4 likes
“We change from the awakening questing creatures we were once, afire with wonder, and expectancy, and doubt, to persons of opinion and authority, our habits formed, our characters moulded in a pattern” 3 likes