Start by marking “Love Saves the Day” as Want to Read:
Love Saves the Day

Love Saves the Day

From the author of the New York Times bestselling memoir Homer’s Odyssey comes a tender, joyful, utterly unforgettable novel, primarily told through the eyes of the most observant member of any human family: the cat.

Humans best understand the truth of things if they come at it indirectly. Like how sometimes the best way to catch a mouse that’s right in front of you is to
Published January 15th 2013 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about Love Saves the Day, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Love Saves the Day
Gina
As a person who rescues cats, this book got me just by looking at its cover. However, the story told in the pages, was even better than the cover.

If you've ever wondered what your pet was thinking, especially a cat, this fur baby voicing his opinion in this book will enlighten you and entertain you, make you laugh, and touch your heartstrings.

Prudence is the star of the book, and the one telling the story. She meets the human she was meant to adopt when she was only a mere 5 weeks old and
Reese
Jun 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
There's only one reason why I chose to read a book with a title that could make a person who doesn't work for a greeting card company puke. Its author, Gwen Cooper, wrote Homer's Odyssey, an unforgettable eight(out of five)-star book -- at least "in my book." That being the case, how bad could this new novel be? But its title is -- oh crap -- Love Saves the Day. But Gwen Cooper wrote it. But. . . . But. . . . But. . . . Ceasefire. Harold Kushner, stop holding back already; there's a market for ...more
Kat (Lost in Neverland)
Gwen Cooper is coming out with another cat book?!

The very same woman who wrote Homer's Odyssey?! ONE OF MY FAVORITE BOOKS EVER?!

description

After Reading it

Look at the cover of this book.

Look at it.

Look at the title.

Do you see what I'm seeing?

An adorable kitty looking at you with big green eyes and a nice, kind of cheesy title Love Saves the Day?

That adorable little kitty.....is a liar.

I was expecting a cute, fluffy, makes-you-feel-warm-inside kind of book.

What I got?

A slow paced, gut-wrenchingly
Rachel
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, favorites
Well, now that I've stopped sobbing, let's get to the review.

A lot of people will look at the title and cover of this book, note that the story is told in part from the point of view of a cat, and then bypass it. That's unfortunate because there's nothing gimmicky or cheesy about Love Saves the Day; it's a well-constructed, affecting novel about grief, regret, and reconciling with the past. This is the story of Laura and her mother Sarah, whose close and loving relationship become almost
Preeti
Nov 09, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cat lovers
Shelves: animals, librarything
This book is definitely recommended for cat lovers but I'm not sure how non-cat fans would take to it. The story is (mostly) told from the perspective of Prudence, a brown tabby, who's been uprooted from her home and her human and taken to live elsewhere. She doesn't realize what's happened and why she has to live with the daughter of her owner.

It was a bit slow to start and it took some time to get used to the "cutesy" way the cat would explain things. Some stuff was beyond cutesy, venturing
Pamela Barrett
Dec 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I must confess I’m more of a dog person, although I’ve been owned by a few cats in my lifetime. When I got this book as a break from my usual dog books, I thought it would be a sweet quirky story from a cat’s point of view; I was wrong. It does start out that way with Prudence (the cat) narrating, but this is so much more, as the author winds her story between the cat, the mother and the daughter’s memories. Love Saves the Day is about the things left unsaid, miscommunications and how everyone ...more
Kirsti
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have wanted to buy this book for YEARS. No, seriously. Every time I saw it on my to-read list, I'd grit my teeth and plan to buy it, but it just never happened. I knew when I finally put it on an online order a few weeks ago that I wanted to read it right away. I'm glad I did!

I loved Gwen's true story of Homer, and I knew that I would love the fictional Prudence as well. Gwen just knows cats, and I liked how she made Prudence think and interact with her humans. I adored the way the story
Obsidian
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Told in three different points of view, Love Saves the Day though at times heart-breaking and thought provoking did not do much for me in the end.

This story is told from three points of view. The first POV is from Sarah a 40 plus year old woman living in the Lower East Side in Manhattan. The second POV is told from Laura, Sarah's slightly estranged daughter. And the third POV is told from Sarah's cat Prudence's point of view.

The most engaging perspective for me by far was any chapters told from
Jenni DaVinCat
Loved it.

I think people are prone with coming up with their own ideas of what a book is going to be about before reading it, and I was guilty of doing this too. I fully expected a sappy love story, which is one of my least favorite things to read in fiction. I'd read Cooper's books about Homer already and decided to give this book a chance, despite my reservations on the title.

I 100% loved it! Love plays a huge role in this book, as it does in our every day lives. It's not about falling in love,
Jen
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: five-star-reads
As a human who is owned by a very feisty and opinionated cat, I truly loved that this book is in part narrated by Prudence the cat. She has such a personality! It is also heartbreaking to know right away that Prudence's "Most Important Person" has died and isn't coming back. Fortunately, Prudence's owner's daughter Laura adopts Prudence and while as a human narrator we know it's going to be okay, seeing the move and the grieving of daughter for estranged mother is heartbreaking.

Laura is a
Anna
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing, 2013
I loved Gwen's other book, Homer's Odyssey, and I'd recommend that for anyone who's thinking about getting a blind or otherwise "special" pet.
And I wanted to like this one too. This one has a kitty hero too, so it should be as likable, right? What I liked best was the perspective of Prudence, the kitty.
But there were too many things that made it much less enjoyable than Homer's Odyssey. It seemed too long considering the ingredients - perhaps a 60 page novella would have worked better.
Margaret
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my goodness! All the feels! Read page 61 where Prudence ( the cat and main narrator) describes a vacuum cleaner! You will laugh so hard! And then later when Prudence finally realizes.... well, that would be giving too much away! But suffice to say you will go through every emotion you have when you read this book!
Miz
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Struggled reading this book as the cat's voice irritated me. Eventually when the story became interwoven, it was okay, but I still struggled with the concept and thought it could be better executed.

Or maybe I'm bitter and twisted about family dynamics and cats haha.
Rosemarie
May 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love Saves the Day is a highly unusual book because the main character is the cat, Prudence, and it is told mostly from her point of view. I have always believed that cats are VERY misunderstood - and 90% of this book goes to prove my theory. So I was very happy to find and read it!

There is, unfortunately, some 10% of the time when Prudence does, in fact, take on that stereotypical attitude that "cats are smarter than humans." I really wish that this book had not gone there at all - but - like
Carin
Years ago, my husband Jordan read and loved Homer's Odyssey, Gwen Cooper's memoir about living with her cat, Homer the Blind Wonder-Cat. So when I saw this novel by the same author, again about a cat, in a Buy 2-Get 1 Free sale, I picked it up. I was looking for a distracting novel that wasn't overly sad, wasn't about a romantic relationship, and wasn't enormous. This fit the bill along with a high Goodreads rating, which made it an easy decision.

And in a way it is about a romantic relationship,
Lark of The Bookwyrm's Hoard
Review originally published at The Bookwyrm's Hoard.

I absolutely loved Gwen Cooper’s first novel, Love Saves the Day. To be honest, when I read that one of the main characters was a cat, I was expecting something cute or overly sweet, but this book is neither. It’s warm and down-to-earth and sometimes heart-wrenching, and the characters, even Prudence the cat – no, especially Prudence – are completely real and believable.

The narrative jumps back and forth between three points of view and almost
Orsolya
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, animals
As a cat person (and proud owner of the best cat in the world); I thoroughly enjoyed Gwen Cooper’s heartwarming sort-of-memoir of her relationship with Homer, her blind cat (“Homer’s Odyssey”). My enjoyment of Cooper’s prose overcame my worries of a fictional novel about a cat and I was thus eager to read, “Loves Saves the Day”.

“Loves Saves the Day” begins with a narration by a cat named Prudence (the point of view alternates throughout the novel of that of Prudence and of Laura -- who comes to
Paula Allmand
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this author. In this particular book I was happy she chose to write it from the cat's point of view. Her previous book, Homer, was a triumph for her. This book is written in her same love for the animal I love so much. We have a little fellow who lives under our house & is loved by us all. Especially my 39 year old son, who sits outside on the sidewalk with Buddy lovingly comfortable in his lap. It is a joy to witness.
Valerie
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-read
Purrfect Purrpose: A review of Love Saves the Day.

Quite a bit has been written and remarked about the feline-perspective narration of Love Saves the Day. Being a cat lover, I was enchanted with the idea of a novel written from the cat's perspective. Would it be adorable? Would it be catacular? Or would it be an overly-long exercise in precocious cat-speak? One hopes going in to this kind of thing that the plot of the story can live up to the expectation of the idea of if all being written from a
Leah K
Aug 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love Saves the Day by Gwen Cooper

This is a story shown mostly from a Cat’s, Prudence, point of view with a sprinkling from a couple human points of views to help with a back story. This is from the same author who brought you the true story of her blind cat, Homer, found in Homer’s Odyssey (sadly Homer passed away a couple weeks ago). While this book is NOT a true story, unlike her last, it was still a great read. It might have been over 300 pages but I had trouble putting this book down and I
Judy
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who is a cat lover will enjoy this book. I am--and I did! Most of the story is told from the viewpoint of Prudence, a cat who is saved by Sarah (the first human who belongs to Prudence) and when Sarah dies Prudence goes to live with Laura, Sarah's daughter & her husband, Josh. There has been a breach between Laura & her mother dated back many years, but Laura honors her mother's wishes & gives a home to Prudence. I listened to the audio version, which I loved. I don't know ...more
Lori
Aug 07, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals-dogs, fiction
I would give this book a 3.5. Seen through the eyes of several characters. Prudence is a cat. She has lived with Sarah for a few years. Prudence likes her person Sarah a lot. they get along fine. Sadly Sarah leaves their home and does not come back. We find out later that Sarah has died. Enter Laura, Sarah's daughter. she cleans out the apartment and has no choice but to take Prudence with her. Laura is nothing like Sarah so this is hard for Prudence we see how this is for Prudence since a good ...more
Steven
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought initially that this book would be really bad. It wasn't a literally masterpiece by any means. But it's told from the perspective of a cat and I'm easily entertained so I kept pushing through. However, using an animals perspective allowed for the concept of unconditional love to be elegantly delivered to readers in a heart wrenching yet joyful manner. Recommend to all the cat lovers out there and animal enthusiasts.
Kathryn
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
I just love the cover of this book and had to enter the First Reads giveaway for it! So glad to have won and am looking forward to reading the book.
Kristi Bumpus
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I expected this to be cheesy. It wasn't. Beautiful, moving writing.
Karen
May 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I cannot resist a book where the main character is a cat.
Ashley
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sue
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished this book.
It is more than just a cat book.
It was hard to read.
That is not because Gwen Cooper is not an excellent author, but because of her excellence, because the characters were, for a little while, as close to me as family.
It is the human story, a recent history that caught me up and made me put the book down, overwhelmed or in tears, only to pick it up again because I had to know what happened.
So much happens! So much here is truth under the novel. The pain is real. So is
Christy Wilson
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I want to go home and play my records for my kitties now.

There was nothing about this book I didn't like. I loved that it was (mostly) from the perspective of Prudence, pet to Sarah. It was heartbreaking to read at times, and I found myself tearing up more than once.

This isn't only the story of Prudence and how she deals with the loss of Sarah, it is also the story of Laura and how she deals with the loss of her mother, Sarah.

It just makes anyone who is a pet owner love their sweet pet all the
Annette
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most charming books I have read in a long time. Three narrators tell the tale of a woman named Sarah, a stray kitten called Prudence, and the daughter, Laura who comes to understand just how much her mother gave to her- including Prudence.

A wonderful story to warm your heart on a cold winter's day.
Play Book Tag: Love Saves the Day / Gwen Cooper. 4 stars 1 9 Jun 09, 2019 12:34PM
Differences between the editions (solved) 2 13 May 24, 2013 01:51AM
Love Saves the Day 6 21 Apr 24, 2013 10:24PM
All About Animals: Love Saves the Day by Gwen Cooper 19 19 Apr 13, 2013 05:08PM

• A Dog's Promise (A Dog's Purpose, #3)
  • A Divided Loyalty (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #22)
  • Rescued Kitties: A Collection of Heart-Warming Cat Stories
  • Sword Fight (Kingdom of Engines #1)
  • Merrily Ever After (Ouachita Mountain Shifters, #9.5)
  • An Uncommon Woman
  • Le flûtiste invisible
  • Fragile
  • Après... : Quand l'au-delà nous fait signe
  • La Symphonie du hasard - Livre 3
  • Idiss
  • Un arbre, un jour...
  • Tomber sept fois, se relever huit
  • La mort n'est pas une terre étrangère
  • Le Test
  • L'Évangile selon Youri (La Bleue)
  • Lorsque j'étais quelqu'un d'autre
  • Talk to the Paw
Gwen Cooper is the New York Times bestselling author of the memoirs "Homer's Odyssey: A Fearless Feline Tale, or How I Learned About Love and Life with a Blind Wonder Cat" and "Homer: The Ninth Life of a Blind Wonder Cat," and the novels "Love Saves the Day" and "Diary of a South Beach Party Girl."

Her latest project is "Curl Up with a Cat Tale," a first-of-its-kind monthly short-story series,
“But the burden of appearing to be fine, so as to keep others from worrying about her, was almost worse than simply allowing herself to feel bad would have been.” 5 likes
“Years don't begin and end because everybody gets together at the same time and says they do. Years really start when important things happen to you. When you're born. When you find the human you're going to live with forever. Your life begins when it becomes important.” 3 likes