Start by marking “Shadows Of Tomorrow” as Want to Read:

Shadows Of Tomorrow

Earth is at war. Portals are opening across the planet and bringing creatures known as Outsiders. Their only desire is to eat, leaving a trail of destruction in their path. All that stand in their way are the Defenders led by Gareth Walker who can open portals of their own to target the Outsiders in minutes. Gareth's one advantage is an ability to see glimpses of his futur ...more
Published November 21st 2013 by Vanguard Press (first published November 19th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Shadows Of Tomorrow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadows Of Tomorrow

Montzalee Wittmann
Shadows of Tomorrow
By: Jessica Meats
Narrated by: Jake Urry
This is an audible book I requested and the review is voluntary.
I really enjoyed this sci-fi book. The characters were well developed and introduced in a way that was different and interesting, I liked it and found it flowed well in the story. The plot...it was always ahead of me, and never what I thought was going to happen. So many twists, turns, unpredictable but satisfying. Lots of action, adventure, of course great sci-fi, creatures,
Petra
This exciting science fiction story had a bit of everything: ravenous alien creatures that appear through portals, a skilled group of "defenders" who attempt to protect earth from these monsters, named "The Outsiders"; special powers, fighting and action scenes, betrayal, secrets, and even some romance.
The characters were well developed and I thought the group of defenders was made up of a good variety of different personalities. I enjoyed the relationships and the dialogue among the defenders.
Vicki
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-books, sci-fi

I loved the premise and the words that were used. They conveyed the heart of the characters and the pain of their knowledge of the future. Knowing that they could change that if they varied. The setting was dismal and brought reality to the story.

The narration was wonderful, the tone of Jake Urry's voice was fitting for the emotion of the story. I enjoyed the tension and the emotion.
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary
Shadows of Tomorrow is a well-written science fiction book by Jessica Meats. There’s intrigue, action, imagination, and love all wrapped up into a frenetic ride that keeps you on the edge of your seat. I’ve never read anything by her before, but I’ll definitely be on the lookout for books from her in the future. The premise isn’t really ‘new’, but the way she writes it makes it feel as though it is. I didn’t have the “been there, read that” sensation that I have with so many books. Instead, I co ...more
Tamara
Shadows of Tomorrow by Jessica Meats is a terrific book with interesting and believable characters that you can't help but feel for and become emotionally invested in. With the author's attention to detail, the reader can't help but be drawn into the story and the world in which she has created.

This book is narrated by Jake Urry and with his lovely British accent took this story to a whole other level of enjoyment. This is the third audio book I have listened to that is narrated by Mr. Urry, an
Elliem
Nov 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shadows of Tomorrow is a highly entertaining ScFi adventure novel which explores the notion of what life might be like if you could see into your future. Sounds simple? well not really, not if it turns out that time is not a single, unbroken, continuous forward line.

The story follows the exploits of Gareth as he struggles to lead his ‘Defenders’ against frequent extra-terrestrial attacks. The level of adventure is sustained throughout, but with small touches of geeky humour to lighten the mood.
Norma
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, audio, s-f, thriller, reviewed
( Format : Audiobook)
""A whole new Universe, a whole new life""
For some years the earth has been beset by the sudden appearance of Outsiders, terrifying, ravenous creatures which pour out of opening portals "like a horde of zombies in a horror movie". And they are impervious to almost all weapons. Small groups of highly trained human Defenders, armed with unique and non replacable swords, are the only protection. What are these creatures and where are they from?
We follow the core group of the De
Daniel Porter
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was given to me for free at my request and I provided this voluntary review.
This was a great, action packed book. It kept me on the edge of my seat and I finished it in one day. I would describe the book as similar to television shows such as Sliders and Stargate with portals to alternate realities and such. There are portals to other dimensions, monsters invading earth, dark blade sword fights and even a bit of future sight powers. It sounds like a weird combination but it works to c
Colin Rowlands
Dec 16, 2017 rated it liked it
This book takes some interesting ideas such as alternate dimensions or realities, precognition and predestination and packages them into a book that seemed like a more human version of Pacific Rim.

In this book you still had the demonic-seeming invaders coming from another world through portals, but in this case those defending the earth needed to rely on their own strength and skill to fight them off rather than being more safely locked away in mechs as the casualties throughout clearly demonst
Shanna Tidwell
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book very much. I noticed so many similarities to Game of Thrones that I imagine that Jessica Meats must be a die hard fan. No there weren’t any dragons or wolves but if you are familiar with the series you will see the way she pays homage to the series with this book.
The narration was great.
The story was a bit slow to start but once it is going it really kicks off. I love the idea of alternate universes, portals to other worlds & time travel.
This book has some bad ass char
Sweetpea
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This story had so many different elements that I think that it would appeal to a wide audience, including teens. I appreciated that the main characters were so fully developed and I enjoyed their back stories. Portals, alien monsters, action, adventure and clean romance - great stuff!

I've listened to Jake Urry narrate several audiobooks and he never fails to entertain me. Awesome as usual. I thoroughly enjoyed Shadows of Tomorrow and would recommend it to listeners of all ages.

I was given this
Courtney Odor
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
AMAZING!
Overall 5 out of 5 stars Performance 5 out of 5 stars Story 5 out of 5 stars
Reviewed: 05-21-19

First, I have to start off by stating that I got this book free of charge in exchange for a review, but as I always state, this does not in any way impact my review. My reviews are always honest and my own.

I liked it, wasn't sure I would but it does grow on you, The action is a mix of slow and fast, it can be bloody but also not as power packed as other books.
Athena
Jun 13, 2017 rated it liked it
I received this book for free in return for my unbiased review
Melanie Lewis
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible-books
Ms Meats has written a thoroughly enjoyable and complex sci fi story, which is raised to greater heights by the brilliant narration of Jake Urry. I'm sure I would have liked this audio book, but the calibre of the narrator takes it up to a higher, superb level.
Deedra
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing story filled with love, action,romance and sacrifice.It makes you also wonder how others see your heroes.Gareth was injured, dead really, but his hero saved him.After being sucked into a portal and told of his heroes indiscretions,he can barely believe it.People change,especially after a trip through death.Monsters that eat flesh also come out of the portals.This all sides can get behind to fight.Jake Urry is the perfect narrator for this story.I was given this book free by th ...more
Scott
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Portals, Powers, and Monsters

If you like science fiction stories that include fighting, portals, time travel, monsters, unique weapons and even romance, you will find it all in Jessica Meats book “Shadows of Tomorrow”. This may be one of the lost gems of the genre and I was glad I took the time to read it. This detailed story is only enhanced by the wonderful voice narration performed by Jake Urry. The book weaves a tale covering multiple worlds consisting of different time periods and dimension
Audio Audits
Oct 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, horror
Gareth Walker is the leader of the Defenders, what he's defending is the planet against alien creatures called the Outsiders, who are entering the planet through portals which are popping up everywhere! There are four supporting characters helping him in this endeavor and each has a special set of skills, Cassie is a true warrior, Lizzy who I feel is really the glue that holds the group together, his close friend Khal and Richard a world class hacker and what you may ask, is Gareth ability? His ...more
Simona Nielsen
Nov 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Audiobook review: 3 STARS (Jake Urry 5 STARS)

I have a hard time understanding the sci-fi genre and rarely it compells me. The sci-fi elements in this book went just like that, however, there's a lot more to this book than just sci-fi.

The story also contains elements of real people struggles, suspense and a bit of romance. The characters are very well-developed, so I see this as a different take on sci-fi than other books of this genre. If you're a sci-fi fan please take my rating with a grain of
April

“This audiobook was given by the narrator at no cost in exchange for an unbiased review."

by Jessica Meats

A futuristic novel about a group of "Defender," that are tasked with protecting Earth from the "Outsiders." There is plenty of action,suspense , and even some romance. The listener will think they have it figured out when twists and turns hit and you start over with a different idea.

The narration was well done.The characters were well portrayed.I love Jake Urry's British a
Jean
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it

A Futuristic Suspense..

This book was a fast pace full of action with the main character, Gareth, having psychic

abilities..

Overall, this was an entertaining read that covered just about everything from betrayal,

action, and a bit of romance.

Once again, Jake Urry did really well with the narration.

Note:
"This audio book was provided by the author, narrator, or publisher at no cost in exchange for an unbiased review."
Tim
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
One couldn't help thinking that the defenders could easily have their own series or T.V show, this book was written to be made into a script.
Plenty of action, a bunch of saviours, love, tragedy, betrayal. Was there anything this book didn't have?
I wasn't over keen on the interspersed histories of characters but overall I enjoyed the read.
Paul
Endlessly surprising

It's quite rare to read a sci-fi and have absolutely no idea where it's going. Great characters, a very real world and a pace that'll keep you turning the page all the way.
Rebecca
Oct 18, 2016
Paul
Jul 24, 2016
Jessica Meats
Nov 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Logan Horsford
rated it did not like it
Nov 23, 2016