Start by marking “NLP: The Essential Guide to Neuro-Linguistic Programming” as Want to Read:
NLP: The Essential Guide to Neuro-Linguistic Programming

NLP: The Essential Guide to Neuro-Linguistic Programming

NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming) has helped millions to overcome their fears, increase their confidence, and achieve greater success in their personal and professional lives and relationships. Now, from the company that created NLP: The New Technology of Achievement—one of the bestselling NLP books of all time—comes NLP: The Essential Guide to Neuro-Linguistic Programmin ...more
Published February 12th 2013 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about NLP, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about NLP

Start your review of NLP: The Essential Guide to Neuro-Linguistic Programming
Zy Marquiez
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-reviews
“The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place”
– George Bernard Shaw

The first time that NLP became known to me is when it was discussed by Navy Seal Michael Jaco in an interview that was conducted with him. Jaco also mentions it briefly in his book The Intuitive Warrior where he details many of the experiences in his life.

That lead me to research Neuro-linguistic programming in a cursory manner, and figured the information provided might do me some good.

Of a
Jim Amy
Jun 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my very first book that dealt exclusively and entirely with NLP. It covered self-improvement in its first section and social interaction in its second, both of which contained some very interesting thought experiments. In my ignorance of the subject, this seems like a readable and informative introduction to it.
Riccardo
May 02, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nlp
Personally I like NLP, though some people see it as pseudoscience. This is not my favourite NLP book. I have seen some reasonable review of this book, but I did not like this book at all. might just be me.
Anula Galewska
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Straight to the point, simple and practical NLP book for beginners
Eduards Sizovs
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book on communication and understanding people's needs and wants. Great addition to Nonviolent Communication by Rosenberg. ...more
Pearl
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great intro
Deborah Woods
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love how easy to understand this book is! Practical and useful!
Juliet Lara
Aug 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So good I'm buying a hard copy to keep on my desk so that I can refer to it when I need to! ...more
Rafael Rolli
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book. Cannot recommend it enough. Very useful and practical :)
Rui Vasconcelos
Jan 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Life-changing
Ken Lenoir
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
another really exceptional book on nlp. this one had a lot less jargon than the first one and still there is a lot of visualization exercises.

one of my main takeaways was the "conflict resolution process", which is pretty simple. Just figuring out what "meta-outcomes" (jargon for benefits or the goal of the goal) each person is looking for (or each part of yourself if you're having internal conflict), and then from that high vantage point, finding ways to get those higher goals. I tried that wi
Elli Toney
Jun 02, 2020 rated it it was ok
Good but work oriented

The first half of the book was great and the techniques can be used for any sort of problem. However, most of the issue examples were work related. While work is a big chunk of adult life, it is not the only chunk. I would have appreciated more variation in the examples. Also, it just briefly touched on toxic people. Most of these techniques work with your average person with logic or reason, who it is possible to build a relationship with, but not with narcissists or other
B
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Many people around me mention NLP frequently, so I was curious to understand better what it means and got this audiobook. It was rather streightforward and missing much of the evengalist sales stuff you most likely find in other books. I still don't really get what NLP is at its core, it seems like a mixture of general wisdom and principles as well as a bunch of tools and habits built around simplified insights and narratives from neuroscience and biology and packed under a new umbrella in order ...more
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is good from the get go.
Other books on this topic are either too technical and dry or so basic that you won't feel like you are getting an accurate insight into what NLP is.
This book is written from the notes and exercises of a 35 year practitioner of NLP.
If you are looking for a good book on NLP, this is it.
Christoph
Not much of a worthy read.

Imagine "exercises" where you will need to remember tiny details of every memory in your life you want to think differently about, combined with advice like "Communication is key to any relationship."

Sitting the same way someone else does is supposed to be some sort of hypnotic way to get on their side?

Established pseudo-science. Pretty much hokum.
Oren Alalouf
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book literally changed me in ways I never thought possible.
I'm a self help nut,read plenty of books and approaches to self empowerment...
I was initially introduced to NLP through the fantastic Tony Robbins' materials... this book was the deep dive I needed to snap myself out of the rut I was in life and really,truly,just reset my mind on everything.

Before this book ,I really was in a bad place,which I was not admitting to myself out loud.
I can honestly admit now just how amazingly different
Mark Blane
Mar 30, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is probably my 5th NLP book, so I can into it with some experience and expectations. All in all, it was very good, and a refreshing "refresher" on NLP. Some of my technique take-aways were:

1. Well Formed Outcome Frame
2. Circle of Excellence
3. Meta Models
4. The 4 Navy Seal Success Habits
5. Internal Systems
6. Reframing
7. The Disney Method/Strategy
8. Conflict Integration

I still have a lot to learn in NLP, and more importantly, reinforce some of the concepts I am starting to internalize. I als
Hayden Weal
Apr 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommended reading for all. The ability to change the way we perceive the world is one of our brain's greatest strengths and yet the majority of us never learn due to being busy busy busy with important things like what that random person over there in the cafe thinks of the way I'm eating my muffin.

Filled with effective exercises to gamify the human experience, The Essential Guide to NLP is the kind of book to savour and dip into regularly. Buy a copy, have it on your bedside table, dog
Cara
Jul 13, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Picked this up because of all the positive reviews and there is something so agonizingly dry about it. I'm not going to force myself to finish it.

I suppose if you're having the realization for the first time that your thoughts create your feelings and that creates your experience/results/actions, it's good to be handheld and walked through the concepts.

Viktor Frankl summed it up best, "Between stimulus and response, there is a space. In that space lies our freedom and our power to choose our re
Brian  Ambrosini
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I've ever read. It took me longer than a month to read the whole thing. There is so much practice here and videos that if you take advantage and DO everything listed... You'll be amazed at how much you can improve.

This connects so well also to spirituality. Its a must read.
Giuseppe Giorlando
3.5/5 Overall a nice book to read, above all for very beginner on the matter.

I found some useful insights about how to influence your inner-self but, on the other hand the second part of the book about "how to handle people" was a little boring. I might have some bias due to my previous readings, but most of the concepts are resumed from more famous books like the Carnegie's ones.
Irina
Mar 14, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was really curious what is NLP all about. So I chose this book to become familiar with the topic. And I loved the book in general because it was not boring. The author shares a whole bunch of wonderful ideas, cites multitude of popular psychology authors. But in the end it was a bit disappointing as it all cleared up to be a wonderfully written fairy story.
Rui Santos
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent test on NLP theory and practice. Enjoyed all the practical exercises to help implement and learn new skills and processes. Highly recommend for those new to NLP or experienced practitioners.
Kevin Osborn
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great addition to my NLP collection. I watched several of the videos. The authors and instructors care about helping people and it isnt just a cheap manipulation. Its a work book so you may read and practice techniques multiple times.
Stephanie Neely
May 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book on Neuro-Linguistic Programming  is easy to read and has great insight on how to understand how we ingest and process information. That data can be experiences that we interpret and use to act. This book helps you learn to process those experiences in way that serves you better.
David Yeoh
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really liked it. Appreciated the recaps at the end of chapters and the discovery activities that provoke thought. Very introspective.
Edison G.S.
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great. 5 stars doubtless

An amazing book for those pursuing self development and a more conscious way of life. Live your life don't let life live you.
Nathalie Karasek
Good introduction including a 21 days program
Ryan
Jul 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dry, but definitely informational
Jacob
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an all encompassing book. It goes over every aspect with great detail and specific examples. NLP is a powerful tool that can reshape every aspect of your life.

• The Ultimate Introduction to NLP
  • How to Take Charge of Your Life: The User’s Guide to NLP
  • Just Listen: Discover the Secret to Getting Through to Absolutely Anyone
  • The Way of The Iceman: How The Wim Hof Method Creates Radiant Longterm Health--Using The Science and Secrets of Breath Control, Cold-Training and Commitment
  • NLP: The New Technology of Achievement
  • The Game: Penetrating the Secret Society of Pickup Artists
  • The Three Signs of a Miserable Job: A Management Fable About Helping Employees Find Fulfillment in Their Work
  • Notes from a Friend: A Quick and Simple Guide to Taking Control of Your Life
  • The Brain that Changes Itself: Stories of Personal Triumph from the Frontiers of Brain Science
  • Lyderystė
  • The Millionaire Booklet
  • Kol aš nesu Aš: likimo transformacijos praktinis vadovas
  • Sword of Kings (The Saxon Stories, #12)
  • Unleash the Power Within: Personal Coaching to Transform Your Life!
  • What You Do Is Who You Are: How to Create Your Business Culture

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

News & Interviews

“Life consists of what a man is thinking of all day.” 2 likes
“A man who has control over his mind is able to realize its full potential. —The Sama Veda” 2 likes